PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Official Patriots Draft (Day 1) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kind of you to give BB the benefit of the doubt that when his film review, study and assessment of 2 players is different than your that you accept there may be a chance he is the one who is right.

I'm not saying I know more than BB or BB is an idiot or anything like that. I'm simply stating that I wasn't that impressed with McCourty from what I saw, but I could be wrong and am willing to go into the season with an open mind because Belichick has been very good at adding talent to this team.

But lets not make it seem like Belichick never whiffs. He's whiffed plenty of times before in the 2nd round and he appears to have whiffed on a fairly high pick he used on a CB in 08 (Wheatley).

I didn't know I wasn't allowed to have my own opinion of players. I guess I'm supposed to think everything Belichick does is amazing. Belichick has studied film on plenty of prospects in the past and HAS failed before. Everyone has. Just because BB drafted McCourty doesn't make McCourty a shoe-in to be a great player. I thought Robinson was a better CB prospect. Belichick felt differently. Many people on this board felt Matthews was a great pickup at OLB. Belichick apparently didn't. Looks like they were right about that one so far.

I guess Tate and Crable is ready or BB and AD have patched things up. We all know Maroney is finally ready to prove himself in his contract year and Crumpler has proven he is was a very good TE.
When Wright played at DE last year, he looked like a star. We are ready for 2010. We should have traded all our picks.

No, we should have brought weapons and forced Goddell to allow us to make the 6 first round picks it would have taken to make you happy.

I get called a negative nancy and a troll and this is what I wrote at 10:48.

Bottom line, this guy could be the next Revis...he's a shutdown corner, read the writeup on cbssports.com. He's mentally quick, diagnosing plays before they occur!

-----------------------------------------------

I am surprised, but it's a good pick. In Bill we trust. At least he didn't do something stupid like pick dunlap.

Anyway, read this writeup on this guy. Super intelligent, coach on the field, great ball skills, man skills, shut down corner, diagnoses plays before they happen.

they already have a bunch so I'm surprised but whatever, in bill we trust.

Devin McCourty, Rutgers, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

Perhaps this should go into the yet to be started 'official draft (day 2)' thread, but here's a look at some of the players available and who's picking when. Pats start the day out with the 12th, 15th, and 21st pick of the day.

QB: Clausen, McCoy
RB: Gerhart, McCluster, McKnight, Dwyer
TE: Gronkowski, ****erson, McCoy, Pitta, ****son, Hernandez, Graham
WR: Tate, Benn, Decker, LaFell, Williams, Briscoe, Shipley
OT: Saffold, Brown, Campbell, Ducasse, Jerry, Veldheer, Beadles
G/C: Asamoah

DL: Cody, Wooten, Price, Houston, Joseph
DE/OLB: Kindle, Griffen, Misi, Sapp, Dunlap, Carrington
LB: Washington, Lee, Bowman, Spikes
S: Mays, Allen, Burnett
CB: Murphy, Cook, Franks

Draft Order:
2.33 - Rams
2.34 - Vikings
2.35 - Bucs
2.36 - Chiefs
2.37 - Eagles
2.38 - Browns
2.39 - Raiders
2.40 - Chargers
2.41 - Bills
2.42 - Bucs
2.43 - Ravens
2.44 - PATS
2.45 - Broncos
2.46 - Giants
2.47 - PATS
2.48 - Panthers
2.49 - 49ers
2.50 - Chiefs
2.51 - Texans
2.52 - Steelers
2.53 - PATS
2.54 - Bengals
2.55 - Eagles
2.56 - Packers
2.57 - Bengals
2.58 - Cardinals
2.59 - Cowboys
2.60 - Seahawks
2.61 - Jets
2.62 - Vikings
2.63 - Colts
2.64 - Saints

3.90 - Pats
4.113 - Pats

I'd argue that we need to upgrade Wright. Hes a Jarvis Green role IMO. Lewis seems decent.

I think Wright has been fine.
We won a ton of football games with a DL worse than Warren, Wilfork, Wright, Lewis, Pryor, Brace,....... before we fell into 3 #1s on the DL.

No, we should have brought weapons and forced Goddell to allow us to make the 6 first round picks it would have taken to make you happy.

True we should have brought the weapons we drafted last year.

Perhaps this should go into the yet to be started 'official draft (day 2)' thread, but here's a look at some of the players available and who's picking when. Pats start the day out with the 12th, 15th, and 21st pick of the day.

QB: Clausen, McCoy
RB: Gerhart, McCluster, McKnight, Dwyer
TE: Gronkowski, ****erson, McCoy, Pitta, ****son, Hernandez, Graham
WR: Tate, Benn, Decker, LaFell, Williams, Briscoe, Shipley
OT: Saffold, Brown, Campbell, Ducasse, Jerry, Veldheer, Beadles
G/C: Asamoah

DL: Cody, Wooten, Price, Houston, Joseph
DE/OLB: Kindle, Griffen, Misi, Sapp, Dunlap, Carrington
LB: Washington, Lee, Bowman, Spikes
S: Mays, Allen, Burnett
CB: Murphy, Cook, Franks

Draft Order:
2.33 - Rams
2.34 - Vikings
2.35 - Bucs
2.36 - Chiefs
2.37 - Eagles
2.38 - Browns
2.39 - Raiders
2.40 - Chargers
2.41 - Bills
2.42 - Bucs
2.43 - Ravens
2.44 - PATS
2.45 - Broncos
2.46 - Giants
2.47 - PATS
2.48 - Panthers
2.49 - 49ers
2.50 - Chiefs
2.51 - Texans
2.52 - Steelers
2.53 - PATS
2.54 - Bengals
2.55 - Eagles
2.56 - Packers
2.57 - Bengals
2.58 - Cardinals
2.59 - Cowboys
2.60 - Seahawks
2.61 - Jets
2.62 - Vikings
2.63 - Colts
2.64 - Saints

3.90 - Pats
4.113 - Pats

Thanks for the writeup. Makes it easier and puts things into perspective.

Hobbs was a 3rd round pick, and we got more than 3rd round value.
Wheately has not worked out so far.
Wilhite was a 4th and as such has been decent.

Define decent?

Andy, Wilhite has no business starting for the Pats. He is only out there becuase there is nobody else better at the moment.

Define decent?

Andy, Wilhite has no business starting for the Pats. He is only out there becuase there is nobody else better at the moment.

I guess decent is equivalent to looking clueless and lost when trying to locate the football.

Last edited:
Good pass rushing never starts with CB's. Good try though.

Not necessarily true.
The Jets are not good pass rushers by any means.
They pressure with scheme, not individual ability.
Corners that can play man allow you to blitz.

This is part of what I don't get about Pats fans.
Bill Belichick has never,ever shown that a one-dimensional pass rusher is a good fit in his defense.
He has ALWAYS shown that VERSATILE players who can do everything required of their position is what he wants.
He has always shown that pass rush comes from scheme not one on one ability. In fact he plays a base defense that instructs his 'pass rushers' to ENGAGE the blocker first while reading the play.
You simply cannot effectively run a 2 gap defense with TEAM defense and consistency and conservatism as the cornerstones with one-dimensional players.
Like it or not, there is never going to be an all-out effort by BB to sell out his concept to get a 15 sack guy, because he needs more out of his defenders than to be as one-dimensional as you need to be to be that guy. That is why every OLB he has ever acquired (that does not include Burgess because he was a sub package only player) was a very good run defender.

I realize that sacks are the end all and be all for many fans, but they are just a piece of the puzzle in our system, and frankly not nearly the biggest piece.

True we should have brought the weapons we drafted last year.

Are you trying to say we had a poor draft last year?
By the way 2 of those weapons from last year will be used tomorrow too.

I watched the press conference, BB said he would have picked McCourty at 22 so he got his man and a 3rd rounder. Nice work.

I'm not saying I know more than BB or BB is an idiot or anything like that. I'm simply stating that I wasn't that impressed with McCourty from what I saw, but I could be wrong and am willing to go into the season with an open mind because Belichick has been very good at adding talent to this team.

But lets not make it seem like Belichick never whiffs. He's whiffed plenty of times before in the 2nd round and he appears to have whiffed on a fairly high pick he used on a CB in 08 (Wheatley).

I didn't know I wasn't allowed to have my own opinion of players. I guess I'm supposed to think everything Belichick does is amazing. Belichick has studied film on plenty of prospects in the past and HAS failed before. Everyone has. Just because BB drafted McCourty doesn't make McCourty a shoe-in to be a great player. I thought Robinson was a better CB prospect. Belichick felt differently. Many people on this board felt Matthews was a great pickup at OLB. Belichick apparently didn't. Looks like they were right about that one so far.

No need to cry.
My point was that you gave your analysis of the player and said you would give BB the benefit of the doubt. You said it as if you were his peer.
Are you telling me that anyone doesnt make draft mistakes? Do you even know WHY Wheately has been a mistake?
Do you accept you have about 1% of the information available to you that BB does?
Do you truly believe that you have an equal ability to judge the player if you did?
Thats the way you came off. You listed your assessment and were 'willing to give BB the benefit of the doubt'
I just find that type of arrogance comical. Maybe its just me.

Are you trying to say we had a poor draft last year?
By the way 2 of those weapons from last year will be used tomorrow too.

I'm just amazed by the McCourty pick i just saw. He is an amazing talent. How did he make that interception?

Define decent?

What he has done has been decent for a 4th round pick.
Are you saying our expectations in the 4th round should be higher than a contributor who starts at times? I dont think so.

Anybody else think TE is the next pick?

Huge hole there.

Hard to say, because another way to go is to just fill in the TE spot with JAGS, or blockers. And those can be found on the street.
I don't think our offense requires any particular role from the TE position, other than the ability to block effectively.
On the other hand, we can make use of a good TE if we have one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back