PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Official Patriots Draft (Day 1) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although I think he'll be ST and KR. Actually let me change that to PR. I really hate seeing Welker as PR.

"His run support will be an improvement over James Sanders, Brandon McGowan and Pat Chung, and while this wasn't the Pats' biggest need he is a prototypical New England player: tough and versatile."

This is the quote on McCourty through NFL Scouts Inc. on ESPN.

I can only hope that he knocks runners on their butt harder than Brandon McGowan and Pat Chung.

I'll wait for the next two days to unfold before I ***** and moan about anything the Patriots do. Welcome to the Pats McCourty.

Yes that's his upside. His biggest downside is he's not really a playmaker. Doesn't have a nose for the ball (5 INT in 4 years). But I think he will fit in our system well because we roll the SS a lot esp. in nickel/dime.

I think where he best fits our system is that he is a complete player. He pretty much does everything you could ask of a corner, including run support.
His writeups remind me a lot of the last corner we drafted in round 1 (not counting Tebucky Jones) and he worked out pretty well.

Well if they keep drafting corner backs every year they may get it right sometime. Hobbs, Wheately, Wilhite, Butler, signing Bodden and Springs . . .

(=============== Best runningback available.

Because there are myriad DE/OLB prospects left on the board in rounds 2-4 while CB... not so much?

Who knows. I'd just rather spend as many picks as we can on our biggest areas of needs, primarily OLB and DE.

Kind of you to give BB the benefit of the doubt that when his film review, study and assessment of 2 players is different than your that you accept there may be a chance he is the one who is right.

Why bother being interested at all if we're just supposed to chant in BB we trust over and over. And at this point based BBs actual track record of drafting cornerbacks, why would you be confident now? Hey, I hope he's Revis, Steve Tasker and Devin Hester all rolled into one.

"His run support will be an improvement over James Sanders, Brandon McGowan and Pat Chung, and while this wasn't the Pats' biggest need he is a prototypical New England player: tough and versatile."

This is the quote on McCourty through NFL Scouts Inc. on ESPN.

I can only hope that he knocks runners on their butt harder than Brandon McGowan and Pat Chung.

I totally disagree with the writers assessment.

Run support was not that groups problem (could have been a little better but it was brutal). Coverage was. Chung will be fine but the other two are what they are.

Last edited:
Well if they keep drafting corner backs every year they may get it right sometime. Hobbs, Wheately, Wilhite, Butler, signing Bodden and Springs . . .

Hobbs was a 3rd round pick, and we got more than 3rd round value.
Wheately has not worked out so far.
Wilhite was a 4th and as such has been decent.
Butler? You are complaining about him?

My God, we had 3 #1s on the DL and trade one of them and everyone is crying about the glaring need (even when we have 2 starting caliber players there in Wright and Lewis) at DE.
Yet, since we drafted 4 corners in the 3rd, 4th, 2nd and 2nd over the last 5 years we shouldn't have a need. :confused:

I guess Tate and Crable is ready or BB and AD have patched things up. We all know Maroney is finally ready to prove himself in his contract year and Crumpler has proven he is was a very good TE.
When Wright played at DE last year, he looked like a star. We are ready for 2010. We should have traded all our picks.

Before you start calling anyone a mental midget, tell me what the result of our last game was. A butt whooping of unbelieveable proportion on our own home field to a team that got whipped the next week at Indy. Fella, we have to get a whole heckuva lot better to be elite again. A whole lot better and need to stop ignoring the fact that the only OLB we have on this team is TBC and our only TE if Alge Crumpler.

You, and some other guys, are missing the point. Hughes is off the board, sure. Kindle is still there, as well as a few other guys (eight or nine that probably have as much chance as the other at being successful in the NFL). You seem convinced that the Pats won't pick a pass rusher tomorrow. I strongly disagree. If I'm wrong, I'll give you all the credit.

I still don't get the McCourty hate. We needed another good CB and if we didn't take this guy, we weren't going to get a chance at a top-flight CB. The last few picks of the draft bore that out.

It's all potential anyway. We have no idea how these guys will turn out, so thinking that a "good draft" or "bad draft" (as evaluated two hours after round 1) is going to change our status is just plain ridiculous. We won't really know until 2010 or 2012 how good this draft really is or isn't.

Last edited:
by the way some people were saying we traded the fourth from denver to dallas, its not so, we traded our 4th to dallas and kept denvers so it worked out like this

to move back we got mccourty, a third and six places up in the fourth.

Hobbs was a 3rd round pick, and we got more than 3rd round value.
Wheately has not worked out so far.
Wilhite was a 4th and as such has been decent.
Butler? You are complaining about him?

My God, we had 3 #1s on the DL and trade one of them and everyone is crying about the glaring need (even when we have 2 starting caliber players there in Wright and Lewis) at DE.
Yet, since we drafted 4 corners in the 3rd, 4th, 2nd and 2nd over the last 5 years we shouldn't have a need. :confused:

I'd argue that we need to upgrade Wright. Hes a Jarvis Green role IMO. Lewis seems decent.

Last edited:
Why bother being interested at all if we're just supposed to chant in BB we trust over and over. And at this point based BBs actual track record of drafting cornerbacks, why would you be confident now? Hey, I hope he's Revis, Steve Tasker and Devin Hester all rolled into one.

My point was the arrogance of that statement.
BB chose a corner clearly picking him instead of the guy who went 2 picks later.
BB is a professional football talent evaluator. And his track record includes 3 Championships. BB spent months analyzing, evaluating and preparing for this decision. All of his knowledge went into picking between those 2 guys, but on top of that he was exposed to 1000 times more data.
Yet, the poster who watched the combine on TV has decided that he will give the benefit of the doubt that BB could possibly be better able to make that decision.
Its ludicrous.

What complaint do you have with his drafting of corners? He got one wrong, maybe?

I love CB as the 1st pick.

Another season watching the NE secondary being shredded will drive me to drink.

@MikeReiss McCourty spent time with Belichick when Belichick was at Rutgers speaking at coaching clinic. They watched film together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back