PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Official "Everything OTA" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do!! I do!!!

guarantee.jpg

You're so old, you'll be lucky if you're here next week ;)

Undrafted rookie Brian Hoyer got the backup job in '09.

While true, I'm wondering if that wasn't more due to the 2008 3rd round QB drafting failure that was named Kevin O'Connell? As we know, this was the only time that happened, and with Belichick choosing to cut O'Connell in 2009, there really wasn't any other option than to go with someone who didn't know our system, aside from luring Doug Flutie back out of retirement.

While true, I'm wondering if that wasn't more due to the 2008 3rd round QB drafting failure that was named Kevin O'Connell? As we know, this was the only time that happened, and with Belichick choosing to cut O'Connell in 2009, there really wasn't any other option than to go with someone who didn't know our system, aside from luring Doug Flutie back out of retirement.

But who's to say Mallett isn't in the same boat as O'Connell and Hoyer. Where if the other guy shows even just a step less than them they are expandable because Bill values the roster spot for a position more than for a #3 QB.

JMC00,
That might be the case, but Mallett is no O'Connell, and we won't know what BB really thinks until he trims the roster to 53 positions. But if I were him, and I'm not, he is trying to establish depth for a Team that I feel is a more legitimate Superbowl contender than any he has been able to field since 2008, including the 2011 Super Bowl entrant.

There is no more important position than QB on a football team, and having any adequately trained one able to step in for a couple games if Brady were dinged, is much more important than the say 7th WR or the 6th RB. Next season after Garapollo has a year in the system, and Mallett's price tag is higher, that might not be the case.

There are only a few positions that have any age on them and QB is one of them. BB has done a masterful rebuilding job, even as he has avoided the very word 're-building' or the usual 5-11 seasons that accompany such efforts. The only positions that have any age beside QB, are DT and LG, both of which have youngsters being groomed. The rest of the team is only entering their prime years.

It would not surprise me to see Belichick drafting a QB high the next off season, or two, and carrying three or even four, until the QB transition is done and an able successor is thought to be found.

Wilfork and Mayo just showed up at Monster Jam.

...It would not surprise me to see Belichick drafting a QB high the next off season, or two, and carrying three or even four, until the QB transition is done and an able successor is thought to be found.

He certainly carried 4 quarterbacks Brady's rookie year.

I like to think that it was because he sensed something special in Brady -but you're right in that he could (also) have been playing a numbers game.

I like to think that it was because he sensed something special in Brady -but you're right in that he could (also) have been playing a numbers game.

And he was also in his first season and not in SB mode so positions weren't as high a priority either.

I believe BB is on record as saying they kept him despite knowing he would contribute nothing in 2010, but they saw too much promise to risk exposing him to waivers. I think he's also on record as saying the 2000 roster didn't have 53 NFL-caliber players. ;)

JMC00,
That might be the case, but Mallett is no O'Connell,

He's also no Hoyer. In 2012 Hoyer's tender was $1.92 million (entirely non-guaranteed); in 2014 Mallett's total cap hit is less than $1 million.

But who's to say Mallett isn't in the same boat as O'Connell and Hoyer.

I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say.

Kevin O'Connell was a high draft pick QB who was cut the very next year, thus leaving the team in a bit of a bind as to what they could do with the backup QB situation.

Obviously, Mallett has been here for 3 yrs, so there's no comparison there.

Where if the other guy shows even just a step less than them they are expandable because Bill values the roster spot for a position more than for a #3 QB.

That is a real possibility, IF of course, JG shows enough by the end of training camp. Either way, I don't think pointing out the Kevin O'Connell situation is appropriate here, because it was much more of a failure of O'Connell, than it was an achievement from Brian Hoyer in 2009---and it seems as though that's what's being suggested by some. It's impossible for any rookie to come in and even delve into 1/4 of our playbook in such a small amount of time. In the case of 2009, Belichick felt that the situation was worth a gamble at the position of backup QB, so it's obviously possible that could happen again--as you say.

The problem in the thinking with those who wanted to trade Ryan Mallett during the draft (or even now), is that it would have left us wide open at the position of backup QB, which is something that Belichick wouldn't do. Many here pointed that out, but the majority didn't want to believe it.

I by no means, am attempting to suggest that I am not wrong a lot--like many here.

That said, I have been right about Mallett for the past couple of yrs now, so this is one instance where I can hold my head high and look down on you mere mortals ;)

In all seriousness, I have been clearly in the "Mallett not only isn't getting traded, but his value is being extremely overrated by many" camp for at least 2 years. Unfortunately, that and 5 bucks gets me a latte at Starbucks these days. As you said, only time will tell what happens, but I would highly doubt that he brings anything close to what has been suggested in terms of 2nd/3rd round picks.
You absolutely have been right about Mallett. I on the other hand was the complete opposite. I actually thought that Mallett was going to net us a reasonable draft pick. You told me several times otherwise and I should have listened because at this point he may end up being a roster cut.

You absolutely have been right about Mallett. I on the other hand was the complete opposite. I actually thought that Mallett was going to net us a reasonable draft pick. You told me several times otherwise and I should have listened because at this point he may end up being a roster cut.

Even a broken clock like myself is right on occasion.

It brings my overall percentage all the way up to about 2 or 3 percent.

Even a broken clock like myself is right on occasion.

It brings my overall percentage all the way up to about 2 or 3 percent.
I do hold out hope that if the Texans could get something for Yates we could get a late draft pick or a bubble player if we did trade Mallet in the preseason. I think my dream scenario would be Mallett to Arizona for Rob Housler who reportedly is on the bubble because he does not fit the offense out there. That is probably too optimistic.

I think my dream scenario would be Mallett to Arizona for Rob Housler who reportedly is on the bubble because he does not fit the offense out there. That is probably too optimistic.

I've had that thought, too. Housler was drafted #69 overall in 2011, Mallett 5 picks later at #74. Both are in a contract year, and neither is likely to remain with their current team beyond 2014. Arizona has a surplus of TEs and Housler isn't likely to start; NE needs TEs. Jimmy Garoppolo makes Mallett expendable, and Arizona has little depth behind Carson Palmer - Drew Stanton is 30 and hasn't completed a pass since 2010, Logan Thomas is pretty much a developmental project until proven otherwise, and Ryan Lindley isn't likely to be the long term answer. A Mallett-for-Housler exchange would actually make some sense for both teams, and would give both players a fresh start and a better chance to prove themselves in a new environment.

I doubt it will happen, but it does make some sense, IMO.

Arizona has a surplus of TEs and Housler isn't likely to start; NE needs TEs. Jimmy Garoppolo makes Mallett expendable, and Arizona has little depth behind Carson Palmer - Drew Stanton is 30 and hasn't completed a pass since 2010, Logan Thomas is pretty much a developmental project until proven otherwise

Long term, I wouldn't be surprised if Logan Thomas turns out to be a better TE than Housler!

Long term, I wouldn't be surprised if Logan Thomas turns out to be a better TE than Housler!

Yet another reason to make Housler expendable in Arizona. Housler and Thomas certainly had similar measurables coming out of college, FWIW:

- Housler: 6' 5 3/8" 248#, 34 1/2" arms; 4.46 40, 1.49 10-split, 4.21 SS, 6.91 3C, 37" VJ, 9'9" BJ
- Thomas: 6' 6 1/8" 248#, 34 1/4" arms; 4.54 40, 1.61 10-split, 4.18 SS, 7.05 3C, 35.5" VJ, 9' 10" BJ

I do hold out hope that if the Texans could get something for Yates we could get a late draft pick or a bubble player if we did trade Mallet in the preseason. I think my dream scenario would be Mallett to Arizona for Rob Housler who reportedly is on the bubble because he does not fit the offense out there. That is probably too optimistic.

Oh, I certainly agree with you that Mallett could be expendable, should JG prove to be capable enough in all of the things that Belichick and McDaniels will look for. Those are obviously numerous.

I just don't think that he'll be bringing anything in the higher pick range, and I would see his ceiling top at something in the 4th-5th round range myself. Nor did I believe that Belichick would be short-sighted enough to leave a glaring hole at the backup position by trading him prior to JG showing anything, like the draft weekend predictions. As I've stated, I certainly could be wrong.

I would love to see JAG impress during camp such that BB would feel comfortable with him as #2. Since neither has NFL game experience, given unexpected JAG pre-season success we might get a 6th or 7th conditional pick for The Hammah. Even better, a player swap.

I would love to see JAG impress during camp such that BB would feel comfortable with him as #2. Since neither has NFL game experience, given unexpected JAG pre-season success we might get a 6th or 7th conditional pick for The Hammah. Even better, a player swap.

If we can get a player like Blount, who was impactful in his one season here, for a player like Demps, maybe we can get a decent depth TE for Mallett.

I think odds are in the low single digits though. One can hope. It's pre-season where fantasies abound!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes