PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Official Don't Over-react to the Week 2 loss to the Jets Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sanchez will never win a superbowl -- unless Taylor somehow stays healthy... then maybe....

1-1 plenty of season left. Defense needs to stay aggresive. Offense needs to lose the spread run game and stick with the 2 and 3 TE sets. They moved the ball at will early on against a great D. They can build off that, after that they lose their idenity.

Actually I never point to anyone player to blame for a loss or praise for a win.

However in this game the Patriots should have been way ahead but Tommy just made bad throws and bad decisions. He had very little pressure but somehow didn't see the open guy , over threw and under threw.

When you let a good team off the hook, these things will happen. I don't expect Tom to be as bad as he was at times today. I do expect the Patriots to lose a few more games but will be in the hunt come playoff time.

Listen, I would LOVE to stay positive, but I think we have to be realistic. This team has not made a halftime adjustment against a good team in 3 years. It's the same recipe in every game, win or lose. They get a lead, offense disappears in the second half, and the defense is not good enough to hold on. No adjustments whatsoever. No crazy blitz packages, no wild coverage schemes, no new offensive plays. Run up the gut for -2 and pray someone gets open on 3 and 12. This is our second half offense. Our defense is jus putrid, I'm sorry, but the Jets didn't even half Santonio Holmes out there, god knows how many points the Jets woulda scored. We have to be realistic, we have no defense, And only a first half PASSING offense (now especially with Fred Taylor hurt again). Only way we will win games is if we are up by 24 points at half and hold on for dear life. I'm being realistic, this will be a long rebuilding year. Some positives:

We have some nice prospects on defense, though it may take some time to gel. McCourty, Spikes, Mayo,Chung & Merriwether make up a nice core, but it may be a few years before they are good/great

Hernandez, Tate & Gronkowski look like they can be good ones, the future of the offense. Now we need a good back and maybe another stud O-lineman. Unfortunately, Brady can't wait that long, they may be championship caliber players in Brady's last season.

Just being realistic ladies and gents, right now we aren't in the same league as the Jets, they obviously are better than us. The Dolphins may be also. Not giving up, just being realistic. We are not a great team, may not even be good, may be just middle of the pack.

Please explain why we should have expected such a lop-sided loss.

I have no beef if you expected the Pats to win. I've watched football for a long time and based on the fans and media over reaction to week 1 for both teams, I saw this loss coming from a mile away.

I don't think the loss was as lopsided as the final score. I think if the Jets and Pats played on a nuetral field that the Pats would win 6-7 times out of 10.

The reasons why I think the Patriots lost:

1. The Jets are a very good team, who was at home and who was desperate
2. Despite the Media's and fans best effort to write the obituary for Marc Sanchez after a bad week 1 showing in his 2nd NFL season, he showed that he was in fact an NFL caliber QB. Maybe this first round draft pick can actually make a few throws. Who knew?
3. A stud high round draft pick RB and an a perennial pro bowl RB with a huge axe to grind against the Pats actually put up a few yards agains the pats D at home in the 2nd half.
4. The Patriots missed scoring opportunities in the first half
5. BJGE is made of glass (kidding)

Actually I never point to anyone player to blame for a loss or praise for a win.

However in this game the Patriots should have been way ahead but Tommy just made bad throws and bad decisions. He had very little pressure but somehow didn't see the open guy , over threw and under threw.

When you let a good team off the hook, these things will happen. I don't expect Tom to be as bad as he was at times today. I do expect the Patriots to lose a few more games but will be in the hunt come playoff time.

When you make $19 million a year, the bar should be very high.

By the second half of the season the defense is going to be very good IMO As far as the offense goes i see it as the same as last year. Brady keeps trying to force it into Moss and Obrien keeps calling for these long bombs to moss. Why go out and get all this talent at TE when you don't use it? We need to remember that.

Last edited:
jcrack; said:
Im not gonna overreact but you guys gotta admit that the Pats 2nd halves performances have been pretty frustrating for some time now. Im just mad that they made Sanchez like a legit QB today & Rex looking arrogant as ever haha

Exactly. I'm not reacting to a divisional road lost versus a quality opponent. That happens. Like you, my adverse reaction is to the continuation of the consistent trend of this team blowing second half leads on the road. I know I won't feel good about going into Miami and being up 17-3 at the half. Recent history would indicate wed lose 24-20.

So until this team puts away a quality opponent on the road, I'll have a hard time believing in them. And what frustrating is that its not like we are just beaten for four quarters, the team gets leads and then just disappears.

We'll recover from this loss folks. And we will get back at the Rats later on this season. Keep faith and go Patriots!

Overall It gets no easier from here. Bills next week, so yeah that will be a win. Then the play the Phins on the road, then the ravens at home. Bye week after than then the Chargers on the road.

It looks like this is where the grown ups are. Not pretty but then in retrospect it's not really a total surprise either. Actually it almost seemed like a replay of last year's 2nd week game for a lot of the same reasons.
It can't be easy to gameplan based on the Jets performance last week where no one on the offense showed up to play we really played an entirely different offense then they put on the field last week and our defense really looked unprepared for what came at them.

Offensively I think the first half was pretty good, especially when passing. The running game was not really inspired but effective enough to help keep the passing game successful. The 2nd half was, unfortunately, a disaster. Whether it was the play calling, the decision making or the result of the Jets defense there just did not appear to be a game plan of any kind.

In any event, I'm sure there is a lot that the coaching staff can take from this game and especially in the case of the rookies and 2nd year players a lot of adjustments that can be made

Said last week that it would be a rollercoaster ride for the defense the first half of the season. Obviously, this week proved that. I wasn't ready to change my opinion of this team last week and I won't after this week.

We weren't as bad as we played against the ravens but it doesn't matter. You are only as good as your last game. The Jets had a short week and came out and flat out beat us. Very disappointing:mad:

Here's the thing and it's not an overeaction:

We have the athletes on defense to be more aggressive. Our guys on defense plays BETTER when they are aggressive. Against the Bengals in the first half, we played aggressive, our corners played man and pressed them and we played fantastic. The Bengals have arguably a better offensive team that the Jets. We did let the Bengals score and pile up some yardage, but that was mainly because we started playing a soft zone. I guess the strategy became "hey, don't give up an easy TD, we have a huge lead". It's not just the Pats, but we've seen countless teams start playing prevent defense when they are ahead. It drives me and i'm sure countless numbers of fans. (This is one of the reason I respect Rex and his willingness to get after it even though the game is on the line). Fast forward to this game, we come out and play zone against the Jets offense. I'm thinking, "why give this offense so much respect when you played aggressive and took chances last week against a better Bengals offense?" We have the athletes to play aggressive, THEY PLAY BETTER WHEN THEY PRESS, and the soft zone gave Sanchez time to settle in and get in and get comfortable. I just don't undestand. BUT, it's something that I expected. We've seen this so many times. Against weak QBs, BB goes into a zone mode and explicably allows them to get into ryhtms. Henne, AJ Feely, Orton, just to name a few come to mind when thinking of mediocre QBs playing like All Pro's when they go up against our vaunted zone (Sarcasm).

My point is regarding our defense, it doesn't matter what happened in this game or how games unfold in the future. If BB is our HC, we will play to "not lose the game" and play those soft zones instead of taking chances and play "to win the game." This has been BB's M.O. ever since he's gotten here and it hasn't changed. The only difference then was that Brady and our offense before were able to answer the bell and make the critical plays to win close games in the 4th quarter.

We'll recover from this loss folks. And we will get back at the Rats later on this season. Keep faith and go Patriots!

Exactly. Schedule came out and I saw the Pats being 2-2 going into the break. Last week gave me hope that they stood a chance in NY and Mia, this week I am back to they still might have a chance in Miami but most likely are 2-2 going into bye week on their way to a 9-7 or 10-6 season, maybe catch a lucky bounce and go 11-5.

The D will get better. The O will get better once Brady stops locking in on Moss and spreads the ball around. I actually think Moss is a hinderance to this O because Brady feels the need to chuck the ball up to him instead of looking for the next open player. Yes Moss is a rediculous talent as the catch illustrated today, but IMHO he is the albatross holding this O back because Brady is too reliant upon him.

On to Buffalo and here's to stealing a win in Miami, maybe.

Overall It gets no easier from here. Bills next week, so yeah that will be a win. Then the play the Phins on the road, then the ravens at home. Bye week after than then the Chargers on the road.
The Bills, the Bills are easier

the bye week is before the ravens game

I am worried about the second half adjsutments and the soft secondary play other then that it was the Jets like every year this is there super bowl

Here's the thing and it's not an overeaction:

We have the athletes on defense to be more aggressive. Our guys on defense plays BETTER when they are aggressive. Against the Bengals in the first half, we played aggressive, our corners played man and pressed them and we played fantastic. The Bengals have arguably a better offensive team that the Jets. We did let the Bengals score and pile up some yardage, but that was mainly because we started playing a soft zone. I guess the strategy became "hey, don't give up an easy TD, we have a huge lead". It's not just the Pats, but we've seen countless teams start playing prevent defense when they are ahead. It drives me and i'm sure countless numbers of fans. (This is one of the reason I respect Rex and his willingness to get after it even though the game is on the line). Fast forward to this game, we come out and play zone against the Jets offense. I'm thinking, "why give this offense so much respect when you played aggressive and took chances last week against a better Bengals offense?" We have the athletes to play aggressive, THEY PLAY BETTER WHEN THEY PRESS, and the soft zone gave Sanchez time to settle in and get in and get comfortable. I just don't undestand. BUT, it's something that I expected. We've seen this so many times. Against weak QBs, BB goes into a zone mode and explicably allows them to get into ryhtms. Henne, AJ Feely, Orton, just to name a few come to mind when thinking of mediocre QBs playing like All Pro's when they go up against our vaunted zone (Sarcasm).

My point is regarding our defense, it doesn't matter what happened in this game or how games unfold in the future. If BB is our HC, we will play to "not lose the game" and play those soft zones instead of taking chances and play "to win the game." This has been BB's M.O. ever since he's gotten here and it hasn't changed. The only difference then was that Brady and our offense before were able to answer the bell and make the critical plays to win close games in the 4th quarter.

Defense wins games. Our's were bad. Jets were better.

Also, Patriots better not take the Bills for granted, next week, as the Bills have nothing to lose..

I predicted 11-5 for the Pats, including a loss this week. Not time to panic.

Other losses include @ Dolphins and @ Chargers, so according to my count, we're looking at 3-3 to start. Hang on for a wild ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft