PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Official Cutdown Watch

I agree regarding Mattes depending on the extent of his injury. I held off on Edds because he has a little bit of a Larry Izzo thing going on. Edds is a solid candidate for the practice squad as well.

I would have quoted you but you changed your signature to 'that'.

Edds is a solid candidate for the practice squad as well.

Does Edds have PS eligibility?

Also, right now I think I'd opt for Niko over Edds if we're looking at ST abilities.

I would have quoted you but you changed your signature to 'that'.

I'm confused, I'm a fan of the New England Patriots and I have a picture of a New England Patriot in my signature.

I like this list but I'm wondering if Mattes might end up on IR.
Due to Mattes ankle injury, I would be surprised if he played against the Detroit Lions, hence the cut down to 75.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see Aiken dropped for Sims who has gotten some positive notes from camp reporters lately but I don't see Sims on the final 53 at best he hits our PS.
Sims recorded zero snaps against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Snap counts: Logan Ryan receives most playing time in Patriots' win over Bucs | masslive.com

Yea - you are confused alright. Tell him to put a shirt on. I didn't realize that this was the GQ website.

And - you are right Edds doesn't have practice squad eligibility.

2013 NFL league calendar, dates to know - Turf Show Times

For some reason, I thought that the first cutdown was due this weekend. The first cutdown is August 27th and following game 3.

I have put together a preliminary list of roster camp invitees that are probably on the cutting block. Please feel free to chime in and list guys that you think could be a part of the first cut:

Here are my first 13 guys to be cut in order to get to 75 (I count 87 on the current roster):

Bartholomew
Davis
Develin
Haggerty
Harrison
Jones, Brandon
Landl
Patterson
Schwab
Vallone
Winn
Zupancic

plus one other player since the current roster sits at 87.

Armstead and Harrison will be Reserve/NFI. Don't know if they
have to wait for the cut to 53 to do this.

Hmmm one other player... Anyone not on that list that's looked particularly horrid and not capable of playing his position in the NFL. There's someone, I can't recall.:eek:

I honestly can't tell whether you're talking about Tim Tebow or Tavon Wilson.

Armstead (Reserve/NFI)
Bartholomew
Davis
Edds
Haggerty
Harrison(Reserve/NFI)
Jones
Landi
Mattes (Waived/Injured)
Sims
Vellone
Zupanic

Patterson and Schwab will be kept because of OL injuries. I expect the Pats
to fill out the roster with three bodies on Monday who will be cut on the 27th.

I honestly can't tell whether you're talking about Tim Tebow or Tavon Wilson.

It's definitely much too early to give up on Tavon Wilson, and even Tebow's fate isn't written in stone by any means. We simply don't know what Belichick's plans or big picture idea was for Tebow when he chose to bring him in.

As Belichick reminded the 'experts' today, you simply can't judge because these are glorified practices where they work on specific things. A learning curve is certainly expected.

Believe it or not, there's a chance that both of those guys make the roster, and I'd bet any amount of money that at least one definitely makes it for sure.

It's definitely much too early to give up on Tavon Wilson, and even Tebow's fate isn't written in stone by any means. We simply don't know what Belichick's plans or big picture idea was for Tebow when he chose to bring him in.

As Belichick reminded the 'experts' today, you simply can't judge because these are glorified practices where they work on specific things. A learning curve is certainly expected.

Believe it or not, there's a chance that both of those guys make the roster, and I'd bet any amount of money that at least one definitely makes it for sure.

And there is a starting point - and I think we all know what Tim Tebow's starting point is as of right now. It is called quarterback passer rating of 0.0

In the end - I fully expect Tebow to be gone because Tebow's floor is far too low to achieve some form of value at his natural position. That will be the politically correct public comment from the Patriots if any form of question is asked.

And there is a starting point - and I think we all know what Tim Tebow's starting point is as of right now. It is called quarterback passer rating of 0.0

In the end - I fully expect Tebow to be gone because Tebow's floor is far too low to achieve some form of value at his natural position. That will be the politically correct public comment from the Patriots if any form of question is asked.

I wouldn't even begin to try and defend Tebow's horrible play thus far, but we also have no idea as to what Belichick's overall plan was when he initially decided to bring him in here.

As much as I think you may be right in the end and he's cut, I also think there's still a reasonable chance that he may be kept. We don't know what kind of behind the scenes progression (or regression) there may be going on in terms of Tebow. We also don't know about all the reasons we Belichick brought him in to begin with, so that's why I still think there's a chance.

I wouldn't even begin to try and defend Tebow's horrible play thus far, but we also have no idea as to what Belichick's overall plan was when he initially decided to bring him in here.

As much as I think you may be right in the end and he's cut, I also think there's still a reasonable chance that he may be kept. We don't know what kind of behind the scenes progression (or regression) there may be going on in terms of Tebow. We also don't know about all the reasons we Belichick brought him in to begin with, so that's why I still think there's a chance.

On a basis between 0 and 100%, what do you think his chances are?

And what is the basis of his making the 53-man roster because it will need to be for a reason other than being a NFL quarterback?

We're just talking about my personal opinion, and I realize that I'm going against the popular grain but I'd have a hard time putting any kind of number on it just due to the fact that we honestly have no idea about Belichick's plans.

You're basing your analysis primarily on a poor preseason performance, which may not mean a damn thing in the eyes of Bill Belichick. One would think that he pretty much already assumed that he sucks ass as a pure pocket passer, especially in our system--so your conclusion that he'll definitely be cut based on 2 poor performances so far would then mean that you think Belichick somehow expected more.

While that's certainly reasonable and anything is possible, I personally am not as certain about it as you seem to be. If you absolutely held a gun to my head I'd still say that there's a 50/50 chance. We simply don't know whether or not Belichick feels that it's possible that he can utilize his strengths on any level throughout the season, or possibly even next season when the situation is revisited. In the meantime it's certainly possible that a full season of tutelage under Brady, McDaniels and Belichick, along with scout team QB reps (vs read option teams), the proper film study etc may lead to some improvements in his mechanics.

I think in a nutshell I'm trying to say that the plan all along may have been to bring him in slowly and allow him to try and turn things around, and it would seem awfully strange to think that he'd then automatically cut him.

And what is the basis of his making the 53-man roster because it will need to be for a reason other than being a NFL quarterback?

I think I tried to show some reasoning in the above comments. Understand that I'm not claiming to be "right," I'm just giving another side of things and explaining why I personally am not convinced that this is as simple as a preseason game or two. There's still some thinking that there may be a bigger picture in play here.

75% that he'll be kept on the roster.

They signed him with a purpose and between our OC having spent a training camp working with him, preparing to face him twice in 2011 and having game tape from what, 10 regular season and 8 preseason games they knew what they were getting from the guy.

They signed him with a plan, put in an offense that suited his talents and I think that as long as he's shown overall progress by the end of camp that he makes the final 53.

That the team needs to develop another QB2 as Mallett is almost guaranteed to be gone next year.

Will it work? Right now all signs point to no but they're going to be patient with the guy.

supafuly said:
I think in a nutshell I'm trying to say that the plan all along may have been to bring him in slowly and allow him to try and turn things around, and it would seem awfully strange to think that he'd then automatically cut him.

M6ZaqwD.gif

Edit: OH GODDAMNIT, this isn't the Tebow thread I wasn't gonna talk about him in this thread.

75% that he'll be kept on the roster.

They signed him with a purpose and between our OC having spent a training camp working with him, preparing to face him twice in 2011 and having game tape from what, 10 regular season and 8 preseason games they knew what they were getting from the guy.

They signed him with a plan, put in an offense that suited his talents and I think that as long as he's shown overall progress by the end of camp that he makes the final 53.

That the team needs to develop another QB2 as Mallett is almost guaranteed to be gone next year.

Will it work? Right now all signs point to no but they're going to be patient with the guy.

M6ZaqwD.gif

Edit: OH GODDAMNIT, this isn't the Tebow thread I wasn't gonna talk about him in this thread.

No offense - but anyone that decides to utilize that picture for their signature should be ignored.

No shiiiiiit

Well smart guy, the thread is about the initial cut downs and you posted

"What is strange is that people want to jettison players who were playing better at their position than Tebow was at his. Since when do we need a 3rd QB this badly especially when Mallet actually looked like an NFL QB Fri."

So obviously you misunderstood the thread. Are you like 15 or just dumb.

We're just talking about my personal opinion, and I realize that I'm going against the popular grain but I'd have a hard time putting any kind of number on it just due to the fact that we honestly have no idea about Belichick's plans.

You're basing your analysis primarily on a poor preseason performance, which may not mean a damn thing in the eyes of Bill Belichick. One would think that he pretty much already assumed that he sucks ass as a pure pocket passer, especially in our system--so your conclusion that he'll definitely be cut based on 2 poor performances so far would then mean that you think Belichick somehow expected more.

While that's certainly reasonable and anything is possible, I personally am not as certain about it as you seem to be. If you absolutely held a gun to my head I'd still say that there's a 50/50 chance. We simply don't know whether or not Belichick feels that it's possible that he can utilize his strengths on any level throughout the season, or possibly even next season when the situation is revisited. In the meantime it's certainly possible that a full season of tutelage under Brady, McDaniels and Belichick, along with scout team QB reps (vs read option teams), the proper film study etc may lead to some improvements in his mechanics.

I think I tried to show some reasoning in the above comments. Understand that I'm not claiming to be "right," I'm just giving another side of things and explaining why I personally am not convinced that this is as simple as a preseason game or two. There's still some thinking that there may be a bigger picture in play here.

Supa - I respect that position. With that said - since when did BB ever believe that he or his coaching staff have the time to bring around ANY player slowly?

Can they be patient? Yes, to a certain point. I am fairly certain that Tebow is only here because there is no other quarterback on the current roster and I seriously doubt that Brady or Mallett are going to play much if any time in game 4 of the pre-season. Equally, I won't be surprised if another camp arm is brought in shortly for that game as well.

Once again, the folks here who screamed the loudest about how newbie Tebow cultists were gonna ruin this forum have yet again taken this thread off topic into a Tebow discussion. It should be plain to the most dense Pats fan that the OP's excellent topic of the next cut has NOTHING to do with the #3 QB who everyone posting here should know is needed for garbage time in game 4, AFTER the cut down.

Look in the mirror.

No offense - but anyone that decides to utilize that picture for their signature should be ignored.

I'm very interested in having a signature picture debate with you, please, by all means, keep posting about it.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back