PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Extending our 2017 FAs

Status
Not open for further replies.
They have chance to extend High and Collins last year, when Seattle extended Wagner and the before the cap raised. SO i guess they ll pay more if they wanted.
And besides tehy extendend the super future HOF LB Jontahan Freeney so who needs other players like High, Collins, Butler, etc.

You are begging the issue, the salary cap hits for Freeny for 1.8 Million for '17 and 2 million for '18, hardly breaking the bank.. the Pats success is based not only on our superstars but retaining important role players who provide depth..

FYI Freeny's cap hit for '16 is 1.9 million..

You are begging the issue, the salary cap hits for Freeny for 1.8 Million for '17 and 2 million for '18, hardly breaking the bank.. the Pats success is based not only on our superstars but retaining important role players who provide depth..

Look, i would be more than fine with this team and the signings, draft picks etc. But after deflategate i want every year to be 19-0. sticking that trophy in Godell and other 31 in their a...
They have around 3 years with Brady( i hope 10 years more) so there is no room for error. I dont know **** about football but i know that if some player get lot of negative posts that he isnt that good even if he is teachers pet. Anb BB is human with mistakes too. Playing Devey for 4 regular games is proof.
I hope that i am wrong but this Freeney signing bothers me. ST value. Seems to me like 6 ST dont counting Gost, Carodna and Allen. So when tehy ll be far in the season and injuries happen, you dont have personel to compete.
As i said Collins and High should be extended last year. I dont know what they are waiting for.

They have chance to extend High and Collins last year, .

Hightower, yes. Collins, no. The CBA prevents any extension of a drafted rookie contract within the first two years.

In the last group we have the guys where performance can have a big impact on their price: Bennett, Cannon, Mingo, Cooper, Ryan, Harmon.

So if no big 3 extensions are expected in the near future (although High's & Sheard's could increase cap space) I would like to have it from the guys in 3rd group. Since Cooper is a complete ?, Bennett and Mingo have to first prove themselves in the new environment and Cannon better not be mentioned in this context after the Freeny shock (although I do believe he gets extended at some point) I hope the next guy extended is Duron Harmon (I guess Ryan would prefer to wait and test the market). Harmon looked like a genuine monster in preseason and I'd lock him now before he explodes on a big scene.

I agree that Harmon would be a great extension.

Hightower, yes. Collins, no. The CBA prevents any extension of a drafted rookie contract within the first two years.
Really, i didnt know that. So again i was wrongly bitc..ing about something. Sorry guys for misleading.
Thanks for correction Miguel.

You keep Collins and Hightower at any cost

You don't give anyone a 100 million dollar contract. Brady is the only player who deserves that money and he isn't looking for it. I would give either Collins or Hightower or both a Keuchly deal but if they won't agree then tag one and let the other walk. Letting players hold you hostage for idiotic money is the best way to ruin your team.

I made the statement about Collins (although I think I would apply it to Hightower as well) that it would be the biggest front office blunder in the last 15 years if they let Collins (or Hightower) leave via free agency when we have a lot of cap room and the cap keeps increasing every year..

If the Seahawks managed to extend like 8 of their star players with top of the market contracts and still field a competitive team, including doing trades for players like Jimmy Graham etc, then we should be able to figure out how to do that with 3-4 of ours

None got a Von Miller deal. If by top of the market you mean a deal like Keuchly'sthen I agree, if you mean like Miller I don't.

None got a Von Miller deal. If by top of the market you mean a deal like Keuchly'sthen I agree, if you mean like Miller I don't.

I would be shocked if either Collins or Hightower are asking for Miller type money. If they are then yeah good luck with your next team.

You don't give anyone a 100 million dollar contract. Brady is the only player who deserves that money and he isn't looking for it. I would give either Collins or Hightower or both a Keuchly deal but if they won't agree then tag one and let the other walk. Letting players hold you hostage for idiotic money is the best way to ruin your team.

Hightower stays. No doubt in my mind.
The way they see him on and off the field, the way he carries himself lately, first time captain role, Mayo's locker etc. He's not going anywhere. He can even end it here, just like Mayo.

I wouldn't hold your breath on Collins playing for NE after 2016. Patriots won't pay him what he wants. Someone else will. I think they are taking a look at Mingo as a possible replacement.
They will franchise Collins before they let him walk.

Has your opinion changed as to how many of their better players they will extend? Mike Reiss
thinks that the Rowe trade looks like an inexpensive attempt to cover for Ryan or Harmon.

HT and Collins are top priority. Frankly, just give Collins a blank check, as Zo would say, "he's a planet player."

With the addition of Rowe, I'm feeling more comfortable with us cutting ties with Logan Ryan next offseason. Let's just focus on our top priority guys.

HT is the one guy that I know will be back. No way in Hell does BB let a guy like him walk.

FWIW I think even that much is too much for Freeny, who seems to be pretty much the definition of replacement level, but clearly Belichick disagrees.

HT and Collins are top priority. Frankly, just give Collins a blank check, as Zo would say, "he's a planet player."
This.

I love Sheard, but I feel that he's more replaceable than those two.

I say give both Collins and Hightower 6 year deals that are top market. 3 years after we will look back once the cap goes up and think "we got them locked in at a good price for these 3 years".

Dont'a Hightower OLB 26 NE TBD $7,751,000 UFA
Jabaal Sheard DE 27 NE TBD $6,812,500 UFA
Sebastian Vollmer RT 32 NE TBD $5,208,334 UFA
Martellus Bennett TE 29 NE TBD $5,185,000 UFA
Marcus Cannon RT 28 NE TBD $4,754,168 UFA
Rob Ninkovich DE 32 NE TBD $3,749,999 UFA
Alan Branch DT 31 NE TBD $2,750,000 UFA
Barkevious Mingo OLB 25 NE TBD $2,634,137 UFA
Jonathan Cooper G 26 NE TBD $2,388,955 UFA
Chris Long DE 31 NE TBD $2,375,000 UFA
Logan Ryan CB 25 NE TBD $1,811,813 UFA
Duron Harmon SS 25 NE TBD $1,804,400 UFA
Brandon Bolden RB 26 NE TBD $1,272,500 UFA
Jamie Collins OLB 26 NE TBD $1,196,682 UFA
LeGarrette Blount RB 29 NE TBD $1,025,000 UFA
James Develin FB 28 NE TBD $750,000 UFA

OUR CAP SPACE: $68,834,262

Dont'a Hightower $12,000,000
Jabaal Sheard DE 27 $8,000,000
Sebastian Vollmer OR Marcus Cannon RT $3,600,000
Martellus Bennett TE 29 NE TBD $$ 8,000,000
Alan Branch DT 31 $2,000,000
Barkevious Mingo OLB 25 $6,000,000

Jonathan Cooper G 26 LETS SEE FIRST
Chris Long DE OR Rob Ninkovich DE 32 $3,000,000
Logan Ryan CB 25 EXPENSIVE
Duron Harmon SS 25 EXPENSIVE
Brandon Bolden RB 26 $1,700,000
Jamie Collins OLB 26 $12,000,000

LeGarrette Blount RB DRAFT PICK
James Develin FB $1,700,000

NEW CAP SPACE: $12,834,262

Dont'a Hightower OLB 26 NE TBD $7,751,000 UFA
Jabaal Sheard DE 27 NE TBD $6,812,500 UFA
Sebastian Vollmer RT 32 NE TBD $5,208,334 UFA
Martellus Bennett TE 29 NE TBD $5,185,000 UFA
Marcus Cannon RT 28 NE TBD $4,754,168 UFA
Rob Ninkovich DE 32 NE TBD $3,749,999 UFA
Alan Branch DT 31 NE TBD $2,750,000 UFA
Barkevious Mingo OLB 25 NE TBD $2,634,137 UFA
Jonathan Cooper G 26 NE TBD $2,388,955 UFA
Chris Long DE 31 NE TBD $2,375,000 UFA
Logan Ryan CB 25 NE TBD $1,811,813 UFA
Duron Harmon SS 25 NE TBD $1,804,400 UFA
Brandon Bolden RB 26 NE TBD $1,272,500 UFA
Jamie Collins OLB 26 NE TBD $1,196,682 UFA
LeGarrette Blount RB 29 NE TBD $1,025,000 UFA
James Develin FB 28 NE TBD $750,000 UFA

OUR CAP SPACE: $68,834,262

Dont'a Hightower $12,000,000
Jabaal Sheard DE 27 $8,000,000
Sebastian Vollmer OR Marcus Cannon RT $3,600,000
Martellus Bennett TE 29 NE TBD $$ 8,000,000
Alan Branch DT 31 $2,000,000
Barkevious Mingo OLB 25 $6,000,000

Jonathan Cooper G 26 LETS SEE FIRST
Chris Long DE OR Rob Ninkovich DE 32 $3,000,000
Logan Ryan CB 25 EXPENSIVE
Duron Harmon SS 25 EXPENSIVE
Brandon Bolden RB 26 $1,700,000
Jamie Collins OLB 26 $12,000,000

LeGarrette Blount RB DRAFT PICK
James Develin FB $1,700,000

NEW CAP SPACE: $12,834,262

6 mil for Mingo seems a bit much at this point. He has the potential to warrant that type of money (if not more), but hasnt done much outside of the last preseason game...

6 mil for Mingo seems a bit much at this point. He has the potential to warrant that type of money (if not more), but hasnt done much outside of the last preseason game...

I agree ... But he was a BEAST last game...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Back