PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Official "Colts are better than I thought" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted that I wasnt worried at all last week, and I wasn't.

IIRC, you weren't worried about last year's AFCC game and posted how the Patriots would win teh Super Bowl after the Chargers win.

I already thought the Colts were a very good team. I didn't feel either team played that well yesterday and although the score was close, didn't live up to the hype. Mannibg didn't play that well or Brady either until the last 2 TD's. Dropped passes that should have been caught, poor passes that better ones would have been TD's or long gains and missed tackles.

Their offense (without Marvin and Tariq Glenn... im not sure how much better Ugoh is than Johnson was yesterday) is much worse than I thought.

But their defense ? Yeah, much better than I thought.

Count me among those who found out that the Colts were better than I thought they were.

I don't fall for the Addai is wonderful thinking, All you have to do is read about BB coaching history and you will discover that we gave them the run. Thats right we gameplanned to limit manning and he had a poor showing.

Add to that that we physically beat down the Colts...Sanders,Jackson and Gonzalez at different times and it is no wonder to me that they couldn't stay with us for 4 quarters.

Still they fought us hard, but we matched and overcame barely.

The next contest, if any, will come down to the healthier team come the playoffs. As it stands now we have the edge with 3 puppies possible to return and a bye to rest up. But anything could happen.

BB the Super Genious: When we traded away our pick last year to the 49ers for just an additional fourth it SEEMED obvious that we were majorly shafted after all trade value normally nets us an additional 2nd rounder. Little did we know that BB could accurately project just how crappy the 49ers actually would be.
SUPERGENIOUS!!!:eat1: :eat2: :eat3:

Last edited:
BB the Super Genious: When we traded away our pick last? year to the 49ers for just a fourth it SEEMED obvious that we were majorly shafted after all trade value normally nets us a 2nd rounder. Little did we know that BB could accurately project just how crappy the 49ers actually would be.
SUPERGENIOUS!!!:eat1: :eat2: :eat3:
The Patriots received a first round draft pick in 2008 and a fourth round draft pick in 2007.

The Patriots received a first round draft pick in 2008 and a fourth round draft pick in 2007.

And of course what use could a fourth round pick POSSIBLY have in 2007?

After all, we wasted one on picking up some has-been...

-jg

I called out the poster who said Marlin Jackson was a top 3 in the NFL corner for knowing nothing about football. I stand by that. (And in his posts after that, he confirmed it further)
If you thought the Colts would win, and I thought the Pats would win BIG, how am I more wrong than you when the Pats win?
I posted before the game that we would be facing a good defense.
I think it was a very good game. I also have extreme confidence in the Pats, and particularly Brady that if we have enough time on the clock to win the game in the possessions remaining, we will.
It sounds like you are looking for a moral victory. I dont do those.

My view of the game was I thought we had a chance, where many folks were predicitng blowout. Saying they have heard all these same things before from other fans. We said our D was fast and hard hitting, so what you said. We said we could move the ball on your D, so what you said. You said Patriots rout, but it wasn't. Woeful offensive output for 3+ quarters. You have to give credit where credit is do. As you received when MOST Colts fans were saying Pats deserved the win. Made the big plays down the stretch when it was needed. So yeah, at this point, what else can you do but try and claim a moral victory. We were supposed to get our hats handed to us, but it didn't exactly go down that way.

And of course what use could a fourth round pick POSSIBLY have in 2007?

After all, we wasted one on picking up some has-been...

-jg
.... wide receiver from the Oakland Raiders.

I have to go with as good as I thought.

...We were supposed to get our hats handed to us, but it didn't exactly go down that way.

I am among those who didn't share the above sentiment. Colts are the defending SB champions and I think that the Pats and Colts frequently trade the top spot. So, I wasn't expecting a blowout but I did expect both offenses to score more and the Pats to win by at least a touchdown.

And, I feel that if the teams meet again in the playoffs, the Pats will do a lot better than how they did last time irrespective of whether or not Harrison and others join.

I haven't read EVERY post authored by you, but I have seen you call out folks for "not knowing football". Tell me again how this was going to be a blow out? Even in a hard fought victory against a very capable team, you seem very reluctant to let loose and give props. Now, maybe I haven't read all your comments, so I could be wrong. I too was VERY DISAPPOINTED at all the opportunities the COLTS let slip by. Colts had all kinds of chances to create "separation" in that game, but didn't take advantage. Now, I am smart enough to recognize that the Pats need to get some credit for that. Pats deserved the win, but had the Colts won, I would have said they were equally deserving. The defense absolutely shut that offense down for 3+ quarters, and were so close with a near pick six when that ball was tipped by Moss (before the 55 yarder IIRC). But hey, we didn't make the plays, you guys did. Congrats to NE.

Nice analysis and we appreciate a civil Colt fan. The Colts are fast on D and Adaii was getting his yards. However, the Colts have no answer for Moss. I did not like our play calling - it seemed a bit conservative and not enough Welker. I should also point out and a lot of the talking heads seemded to gloss over this point - this was like an 04 Patriots win...The other team's RB piles up his yards in the 1st half, then the Pats adjust and Adaii gets 38 (??) the 2nd half. I also feel the Pats could have stuck with the draw and quick pass a bit more as Freeny (sorry but he really is a one trick pony) were just teing off arond the edge. In addition, I thought Rodney was a difference maker.

That being said...Colts gave us a tough game and like Andy the only time I was really worried was scoring too soon and going into OT...

Now for a few other things...you have to admit the refs were terrible...and I will tell you that if the PI call on Hobbs went on the Colt defender I would not want a game decided by that. When it comes to PI I wish they would err on the side of caution and keep the flags and let the boys play.

I have a whole new image of the Colt defense after this game, they are very good. But enough concerning the Colts being the better team or the Colts defense is just as good as the Patriots or that it was a moral victory. Look at the fourth quarter stats. Addai has 20 yards rushing on 7 carries. Manning was sacked 3 times in which he fumbled twice. The Colts picked Brady on a very athletic play. That was it, nada, over and finished. The Patriots dominated the Colts in the fourth quarter. Again, lets repeat: The Patriots dominated the Colts in the fourth quarter. Now, is there anyone out there that thinks the Colts are the better team or that they will have some advantage coming to the Razor.

Colts played a good game until the end, 20-10 and half the fans on this board were going nuts, so nobody can tell me they weren't worried.

Only the weenies were going nuts. The Colts didn't impress me as much as I thought they would. Dallas Clark was a no-show. Bob Sanders made one play but was one step late most of the game. Addai's play at the end of the half was a total fluke, with Patriot players taking each other out. His numbers would have looked much more pedestrian without it.

The Colts are very good, but they played worse than I thought they would. On a neutral field they would have been blown out.

they are who we thought they were

Nice analysis and we appreciate a civil Colt fan. The Colts are fast on D and Adaii was getting his yards. However, the Colts have no answer for Moss. I did not like our play calling - it seemed a bit conservative and not enough Welker. I should also point out and a lot of the talking heads seemded to gloss over this point - this was like an 04 Patriots win...The other team's RB piles up his yards in the 1st half, then the Pats adjust and Adaii gets 38 (??) the 2nd half. I also feel the Pats could have stuck with the draw and quick pass a bit more as Freeny (sorry but he really is a one trick pony) were just teing off arond the edge. In addition, I thought Rodney was a difference maker.

That being said...Colts gave us a tough game and like Andy the only time I was really worried was scoring too soon and going into OT...

Now for a few other things...you have to admit the refs were terrible...and I will tell you that if the PI call on Hobbs went on the Colt defender I would not want a game decided by that. When it comes to PI I wish they would err on the side of caution and keep the flags and let the boys play.

Moss is an obvious difference maker. Nice to be able to throw up a jump ball knowing more than likely your guy will come down with it. I guess Brady thought Stallworth could do the same. That said, our guy blew it by letting Moss go by. just not the way he's suppose to cover that. You hit the big one there, otherwise, maybe Moss finishes with "only" 100 yards.

I was pretty disappointed with the second half play calling for the Colts. They had success with Addai early, but I think he ran out of gas as much as it was Pats clamping down. But first play in the third quarter, and Manning decides to throw it right to Harrison, a killer that was not spoke of much. The defense bailed him out there though.

Next possession, I don't know what happened on that 9 yard loss, but previous to it, he had gained 11, and then another 11 after that loss.

I think Addai ran more like 10-12 times in the 2nd half, I just think they went away from it too soon.

As far as the refs go, not sure what the problem is on the Gozo bomb, looked like a good call to me. On Wayne, some have said that Hobbs (?) impeded Wayne's path to the ball, while not playing the ball. I think the Colts did benefit from the one on Moss? I would like to hear what the Officiating crew has to say about it though. Tough calls to make, like the charge/block in the NBA. But, the coverage on Clark, where it looked like Harrison interfered? In retrospect, I think that no call was consistent with the other call, in that Harrison was entitled to his actions, as he beat Clark to the ball. And in that case, we all know that for every 10 defensivive PI call made, there is one Offensive call made, it just doesn't happen as often. I know this, the officating had nothing to do with the Pats offensive output for 50 minutes. Bottom line is that juggernaut put up 10 points in 50 minutes. No one here EVER would have guessed that in a million years.

But, back to the props. You guys deserved the win, you made the plays when you had to, and the Colts came up short when they needed that one more stop. Here's to avoiding a hangover and heading out west to grab a win.

Colts played a good game until the end, 20-10 and half the fans on this board were going nuts, so nobody can tell me they weren't worried. Now Charlie Johnson getting destroyed all night long, Harrison and Gonzales essentially being out (Moorhead was playing #2 Reciever at the end of the game) did have a big impact on the game, but like Pats fans at the AFCG say, it doesn't matter because the Pats got the W.

Or, the Colts played a good game until the refs stopped making bad calls against the Patriots. The Colts defense is much improved and a force to be reckoned with. They are still not in the same class as the Patriots defense. I don't see the same game being played in January.

Props to the Colts defense - at least through 3 quarters. :) I expected the Patriots would have great success throwing the ball and they didn't. Lots of reasons for that, but perhaps the most important was that the Colts defense is good. If the Patriots scheme better next time, then I'm hoping they'll be able to pass the ball well in the first half as well as in the last quarter.

Addai is great; full props to his performance as well.

I knew the Colts were good, and going into the game I kept wishing that they weren't as good as they seemed, but they were "as advertised". I like our odds in Foxboro better than I do in Indianapolis, but that doesn't really mean too much. They've got the talent and experience to beat the Pats.

It all comes down to who's still playing in January. Injuries will be the tale of the tape for any rematch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back