2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Sick of it yet?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Cassel Like Brady is no Ordinary QB

To be fair, Flutie was #2, but Testaverde was #3.

They were here in different seasons I think they were both number 2 rather than 2 and 3 but Testaverde may have been #3 but it would have been behind Cassel not Flutie.

Re: Can Cassel

Do people think it is likely then rather than possible every QB can in a sense but with the team we have left is it likely.

Re: The Official Cassel vs Brady thread

Again, this is now the official comparing Cassel against Brady thread. We don't need 10 or more of them. This is the only thread to make these comparisons. If you start a new one, it will be deleted. If you try and start a similar thread that might not exactly be a comparison but more or less is, then you are clearly trying to insult everyone's intelligence in here and will be penalized. As mentioned we don't need the main forum cluttered with these. So please post any comparison, analysis, etc. in this thread.

Last edited:
Re: Cassel vs. Brady pros and cons

This would be called....an uh-oh.

Whereas, I always thought Cassel'd be good if given a chance. :D

But to the point...

It HAS to at least be CONSIDERED.

If someone makes you the 'Herschel Walker' trade, you've got to give it SERIOUS consideration.

This team is proving RIGHT NOW that it can win without Tom. Cassel's what...at least five to six years younger.

Belichick and Pioli gambled six years ago that Tom would be more than a one year wonder and traded a somewhat dependable 30something Bledsoe.

I'm just saying there is a little bit of a precedent here, I'm not saying they should or shouldn't.

But I am saying this team will not have their hands over their ears if a blockbuster deal came along.

The team is at a place where they may or may not make the playoffs...with brady, that would not happen this year...Come on, 2nd in the afc east in not great, yay, a winning record yay! but being 10-6 and missing the playoffs is not considered a good season. You people really really getting old with this.

The team is at a place where they may or may not make the playoffs...with brady, that would not happen this year...Come on, 2nd in the afc east in not great, yay, a winning record yay! but being 10-6 and missing the playoffs is not considered a good season. You people really really getting old with this.

Yeah, but that's not the point. The point is that just going by the eyeball test, Cassel looks like a very advanced quarterback right now. He is bigger, faster, and more mobile than Brady. His arm strength is just as good. His accuracy is outstanding -- he's hitting guys right on the numbers. I love Brady, he's my favorite player ever, but this has to at least be discussed.

If you keep Brady, you get at best six or seven more years of peak performance, more likely four or five, and possibly none at all, depending on how he recovers from his injury. Because of his stature he'll cost the moon when he re-ups in two years.

If you keep Cassel you're looking at a decade, and the initial cost is going to be much cheaper.

It's just something they have to consider. Brady has taken a lot of hits over the years. He wasn't mobile to begin with. And you could get a massive haul for him in a trade. If the Pats' offense is already humming along without Brady, this is something you have to consider.

No matter how you look at it, Cassel is a very impressive kid. He came in in a very difficult situation and he's handled it extremely well. He's almost a Brady clone in terms of his personality; quiet, calm, confident/****y, a company guy. And that added dimension in his game -- the running ability -- that's got to have the coaches thinking. If this passing ability is for real, the spread offense the Pats like to run would be that much scarier with Cassel back there because opposing teams won't be able to vacate the center of the field.

It would be an awful decision for Belichick to have to make, and it may not be the right one, but if anyone in the sporting world is cold enough to make that kind of call, it's him.

Re: Facts: How does Cassels first year stats stack up with Brady's

I keep coming back to 2007. Brady was there. They didnt win the Super Bowl because once again, when it mattered, the defense wasnt good enough.

Now, its 2008. Thomas is gone. Maroney is gone. the OL is beaten up. They would go deep into the AFC playoffs with Brady, but they just arent capable of beating the Giants or Titans.

In any case, Obviously i agree that there chances would be much better with Brady. But Brady doesnt tackle. In 2001,2003, and 2004 we won first with defense aided by great QB play. In 2006 and 2007 they fell short trying it the other way around.

"They didnt win the Super Bowl because once again, when it mattered, the defense wasnt good enough."

this may have been the story in the end....But the BIGGER part of that story was that the OL SUCKED A## ..........that is more of a reason as to why they lost.....I'm surprised Matt Light and Mankins were able to walk normally and not bowlegged........;)

Last edited by a moderator:
This is getting ridiculous. I can't believe that some of you MISTREAT TB this way. WTF is wrong with you?

This is getting ridiculous. I can't believe that some of you MISTREAT TB this way. WTF is wrong with you?
Look, to me, TB is the football god/wunderkid who rescued the Patriots from football pergatory and brought them to the heights of Mt. Olympus. But every dog has his day, and football is, above all, a business.

So IF Cassel proves himself to be as good as he appeared the past two weeks, and IF I were the Pats braintrust and I knew something about the condition of TBs knee that made it questionable how long he will take to recover, or IF he will be able to fully recover, and IF another team made me an irrestable offer (say, 3 #1s), and IF I were running the Patriots I would have to consider it. That's not crazy, that's just good business. And yes, that is a LOT of BIG IF's, and NO I don't think that is likely to happen. But IF it did, I would have to think long and hard about the decision - it would NOT be a no-brainer.

As a fan, would I be pissed off? You bet I would, but if the Pats continued to win for another 10 years I'd get over it!

Re: Can Cassel

Do people think it is likely then rather than possible every QB can in a sense but with the team we have left is it likely.

it can likely, if not today then, that 2 QB's can what we have sense of possibility.

This Cassel - Brady comparison is easy. The personnel on the offensive side of the ball is practically the same as last year. Cassel - very good year and improving. But still not as effective as Brady and has the team in the hunt for a wildcard. Brady at this time last year, 10-0 first in the whole AFC and setting all types of records. And that is without looking at Brady's godly history this decade. There is no debate.

given the Pats schedule this year, Brady would likely be chasing his records again this year.

And with that I am going to stop posting on this absolutely ridiculous topic.

Last edited:
ughh, SO sick of it! So many ******ed threads...

Someone has probably already said this, but Im too lazy to scour the 10982395 posts in this thread...
Anyway to everyone that is saying and agreeing that Brady in '01 had a better running game and defense: you are absolutely right.
But you must consider that because of the lack of a running game and defense Cassel is forced to throw more, especially in these two last games which have been shoot-outs where Cassel has been slinging in an attempt to dig the team out of the hole that were put in by the defense.
So stat-wise I think that because of '01 Brady's better run game and defense he had worse stats.

A random update for those who missed it:

As posted previously this is now the official comparing Cassel against Brady thread. I've picked this one because we don't need 10 or more of them. This is the only thread to make these comparisons. If you start a new one, it will be deleted. If you try and start a similar thread that might not exactly be a comparison but more or less is, then you are clearly trying to insult everyone's intelligence in here and will be penalized. As mentioned we don't need the main forum cluttered with these. So please post any comparison, analysis, etc. in this thread. - Ian

Last edited:

Sivy is right. You're an idiot.

No the idiots are the people who can't actually discuss this without some emotional little girl attachment to Tom Brady. I think a lot of you are bandwagon fans, period. If you think it's a stupid move, why. Explain how we're in an alright position defensively once Brady starts eating up 10 million dollars of the salary cap and we have to re-sign Wilfork and Ty Warren takes a hike out of here. And Bruschi retires and Vrable and AT start knocking on the door of their mid 30s.

We could have won the last three super bowls but we didn't, and you know why? DEFENSE. DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS. 50 touchdowns a year does not. And we have a kid right in front of our face right now who looks like an effective game manager who has proved that he can come from behind, lead game winning-type drives, kill teams with his arm, and scramble out of pressure.

Explain why Tom Brady is better for the new england patriots than a completely overhauled pro-bowl level defense, with Matt Cassell under center. And try not to let your man love for Brady get in the way of looking at it objectively. I'm willing to be wrong, but the idiots are the people out there who can't give this a look without getting emotional about it and who can't seem to put together a reasonable analysis why it's a stupid move.

I'm not sure that with Brady this team is much better this year. Maybe the Pats win in Indy by putting up a few more points, but the problem this year has been DEFENSE. Cassell did everything he could against the jets, and the pats lost because their defense folded. The defense folded against San Diego and Miami as well. I'm sick and tired of seeing these pretty offenses go to waste in the playoffs when we have total defensive meltdowns. If Brady could be turned into a sick, Baltimore Ravens style defense, hell yes I would be happy. I'm a fan of football and the Patriots not a schoolgirl.

And another thing, I wasn't an idiot when I was one of like three people on this board predicting that Cassell was going to play well and saying that they had to start him all year no matter whether he had a few bad games or not. What were you thinking and saying in September, out of curiosity? Be honest. Or maybe I'll just go back and check.

What the hell? All you ever do here is post on the politics forum? Are you just an alternate screen name or do you even watch football?? Weird.

No the idiots are the people who can't actually discuss this without some emotional little girl attachment to Tom Brady. I think a lot of you are bandwagon fans, period. If you think it's a stupid move, why. Explain how we're in an alright position defensively once Brady starts eating up 10 million dollars of the salary cap and we have to re-sign Wilfork and Ty Warren takes a hike out of here. And Bruschi retires and Vrable and AT start knocking on the door of their mid 30s.

We could have won the last three super bowls but we didn't, and you know why? DEFENSE. DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS. 50 touchdowns a year does not. And we have a kid right in front of our face right now who looks like an effective game manager who has proved that he can come from behind, lead game winning-type drives, kill teams with his arm, and scramble out of pressure.

Explain why Tom Brady is better for the new england patriots than a completely overhauled pro-bowl level defense, with Matt Cassell under center. And try not to let your man love for Brady get in the way of looking at it objectively. I'm willing to be wrong, but the idiots are the people out there who can't give this a look without getting emotional about it and who can't seem to put together a reasonable analysis why it's a stupid move.

I'm not sure that with Brady this team is much better this year. Maybe the Pats win in Indy by putting up a few more points, but the problem this year has been DEFENSE. Cassell did everything he could against the jets, and the pats lost because their defense folded. The defense folded against San Diego and Miami as well. I'm sick and tired of seeing these pretty offenses go to waste in the playoffs when we have total defensive meltdowns. If Brady could be turned into a sick, Baltimore Ravens style defense, hell yes I would be happy. I'm a fan of football and the Patriots not a schoolgirl.

And another thing, I wasn't an idiot when I was one of like three people on this board predicting that Cassell was going to play well and saying that they had to start him all year no matter whether he had a few bad games or not. What were you thinking and saying in September, out of curiosity? Be honest. Or maybe I'll just go back and check.

Bradys cap space for next year would only go down a few million rather he is here or not. A lot of Bradys cap space is not salary,it is the signing bonus. That does not go away even if you trade Brady.

Considering we're in the realm of hypotheticals still, that "few million" could be pretty useful.

Considering we're in the realm of hypotheticals still, that "few million" could be pretty useful.

Not for a guy playing and helping another team win. The Pats cant trade Brady to a team like Detriot because Brady wouldnt go.So what team would give you enough to trade Brady?Would you trade him to a afc team so he can come back and play you once or twice a year?

I haven't seen Tom in a while but a friend saw him at a fundraiser and it appears he's lost a great deal of weight (possibly 50 lbs).

I know he got a ansty infection.....and I hate to be negative....
but there is a chance we may need to keep Cassell into next year if TB isn't ready.

ughh, SO sick of it! So many ******ed threads...

If Cassel helps the Patriots beat the Steelers this will go through the roof. If the Patriots win the Super Bowl these threads will be "where to trade Brady" People forget how great Brady is. If the Pats were 7-4 and fighting for a playoff spot and Brady was qb people would be wondering what happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes