PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Offensive Line

Status
Not open for further replies.
Koppen was a fifth round pick anyway. If he were to leave why would we need to replace him with a first rounder?

We are drafting for 2007. Both Koppen and Hochstein's contract runs out in 2006.

jczxohn1 said:
I, too, was for getting a stud OL early, but with Neal's resigning, Hoch, Britt, and Tucker available it doesn't seem so pressing. A push for Pope as a 3rd TE and insurance for Graham's possible defection and a late rd center project might make more sense.

I was particularly impressed by Hochstein's work at center.

AzPatsFan said:
Y'all are constantly neglecting the fact that we have a SuperBowl starting backup to Koppen in Russ Hochstein. IMO our running game actually improved with him at center, as he is a more accomplished run blocker than Kop.

Russ has the strength to move a guy out while Koppen often just ended up in a stalemate. On Pass Blocking, Koppen is clearly better though, but not as much as before.

Everyone is also forgetting a very great depth pickup.

Ross Tucker from the Bills was signed late last year. When he was cut, many Bills players jumped on the Coach and GM saying they cut the wrong guy and should have cut Big Williams, the first round bust, but Donohoe's pride wouldn't let him admit a draft error. Bills fans agreed that Tucker took the blame for the O-line problems caused in part by Williams failure, and the lack of a competent QB. The new regime confirmed this opinion, when they dumped Williams almost immediately, and Marv Levy is no fool.

Tucker is a Center/Guard with starting experience.

Then there is a Dante project C Gene Mruczkowski, nearing the end of his project development.

In short we are not hurting on the O-line in either starters or in depth. There is no where to put a high pick without cutting someone competent. However, that is not true at other positions. We also have the luxury of having not one but two startable LOTs.

Many teams have none. For example, I predict that the lack of one will end up destroying Miami's chances this year, and may get their QB killed.

For those looking to replace Gorin at ROT, if Kaczur can't, then Britt might, and in the final analysis Gorin started on two Superbowl winning clubs. He beat out Ashworth to whom another team paid a $14 million dollar contract.

How bad can he be?

Wesley Britt is a better ROT candidate than anyone we could draft outside of the first round in this draft, IMO. He played LOT at Alabama, showing the ability to pass block for Brody Croyle, but his claim to fame as a two time ALL-SEC tackle was as a very, very, good run blocker. That is the prescription for an outstanding ROT, acceptable pass blocking and devastating run blocking.
I'm actually of the opinion we have three LOTs, Light, Kaczur, and Mankins. Britt is an unknown for now, lots of potential to like. Light, Kaczur, Gorin, Britt, and Roehl tells me we want to bring in another LOT. I like our current depth at OG/OC counting Mankins, but looking ahead to 2007 I'd like to grab a second day OC/OG to develop on the Practice Squad.

Practice Squad eligible players are Britt and Steitz. If Britt develops to his potential...

Starters:
LT Light
LG Mankins
C Koppen
RG Neal
RT Britt

Reserve:
Swing Tackle/OG Kaczur
OC/OG Koppen
OC/OG/RT Tucker or OC/OG Mruczkowski
RT/OG Gorin

Practice Squad:
OG Steitz

Shadow Roster:
OG Yates
RT Roehl

An injury or two may settle some slots, but I think the draft can offer an upgrade for Gorin, at minimum someone who will fill the OT slot on the Practice Squad. I would expect BB to get Dante some UDFA's to play with, but if we want to see Mankins stay and develop into the next Hannah a LT makes too much sense.

Additionally, I wouldn't say Gorin beat out Ashworth, I think he was kept in for continuity after Ash got hurt, and it made more sense to keep Ash back as the swing. Which is why he was available to cover for Kaczur and why I think Kac winds up in reserve if Britt comes on like a winner - Kac has the same kind of OT/OG/TE/FB versatility that Ash did/does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News