PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The "No Expectations" Patriots...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TB=TD

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
For the first time in over a decade New England will be heavy underdogs in these playoffs. As a fan it feels refreshing.

We are kinda like the 2011 NYG and 2012 ravens. Not expected to do much but could win anywhere and against anyone if we get hot.

But with good reason. The amount of talent lost to IR this year is incredible.

* Vince Wilfork
* Tommy Kelly
* Jerod Mayo
* Sebastian Vollmer
* Rob Gronkowski

Their top 2 DTs (by farrrr) and best LB (by farrr) gone. One of the best RTs in the game gone. The biggest non-QB difference maker in the NFL. Gone.

On top of these: Ridley and Blount have serious fumbling issues, Dobson and Thompkins are injured and who knows how they will be upon return. Amendola is playing at maybe 60%, Edelman doesn't really scare anyone.... There is absolutely zero threat at TE, and the Offensive Line can't block anyone competent. Additionally, Aqib Talib and Alfonzo Dennard are dealing with some serious injuries themselves, and Gregory is dealing with a broken thumb.

So, at their absolute "best", the Patriots will have Brady at QB, lean heavily on Vereen at RB, Edelman/Amendola with the rooks at WR, no TEs, and a below average OL.

On defense, they've lost their teeth.

Will they make the playoffs? Probably. But I forsee an 11-5 finish (losses to Miami next week and Baltimore the following), being the 3 seed, and getting pounded at home by Baltimore.

* Vince Wilfork
* Tommy Kelly
* Jerod Mayo
* Sebastian Vollmer
* Rob Gronkowski

Their top 2 DTs (by farrrr) and best LB (by farrr) gone. One of the best RTs in the game gone. The biggest non-QB difference maker in the NFL. Gone.

On top of these: Ridley and Blount have serious fumbling issues, Dobson and Thompkins are injured and who knows how they will be upon return. Amendola is playing at maybe 60%, Edelman doesn't really scare anyone.... There is absolutely zero threat at TE, and the Offensive Line can't block anyone competent. Additionally, Aqib Talib and Alfonzo Dennard are dealing with some serious injuries themselves, and Gregory is dealing with a broken thumb.

So, at their absolute "best", the Patriots will have Brady at QB, lean heavily on Vereen at RB, Edelman/Amendola with the rooks at WR, no TEs, and a below average OL.

Will they make the playoffs? Probably. But I forsee an 11-5 finish (losses to Miami next week and Baltimore the following), being the 3 seed, and getting pounded at home by Baltimore.

Who took a dump in your dinner?

Too much negativity....

If Miami beats us, they will likely be in the playoffs. After all their last two games will be against the jets and buffalo.

BALT plays DET, NE and CIN. It will be very difficult for them to win all three games.

As the #3 seed, we would likely play MIA at home.

But I forsee an 11-5 finish (losses to Miami next week and Baltimore the following), being the 3 seed, and getting pounded at home by Baltimore.

* Vince Wilfork
* Tommy Kelly
* Jerod Mayo
* Sebastian Vollmer
* Rob Gronkowski

Wanna bet?

For the first time in over a decade New England will be heavy underdogs in these playoffs. As a fan it feels refreshing.

They will be favored in any home game. At Denver looks like the only spot they would be an underdog and not a heavy underdog by any means.
They are 10-3 and have earned that record.

What's incredible to me is just how good this team could have/should have been if we hadn't had the weird offseason and the injuries.

We would have likely been the consensus best team in the league. (Just imagine last years record setting offense + Dobson/Boyce/Thomkins) as well as having a top 5 or 10 defense (what we saw at the beginning of the year + Armstead). The potential was just sick.

Of course it's always like this in the NFL.. You spend years correcting a few holes (in our case the porous secondary) only to have new weaknesses at previous strengths appear.

I think this team will surprise. We will definitely be seeing more of the RBs in the passing game - like Buffalo last year.

Blount looked pretty good out there.

Is someone counting this team out? I have not seen anything like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes