PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The most awful regular season losses in Patriots history

Status
Not open for further replies.
"regular season". Oops. Still reeling from the super bowl loss...

There's also that MNF game in the pouring rain against the Colts, when they ran back a kickoff to win the game - I think it was 1977 or 78. There were a ton of arrests, and there had been problems the year before ( I think a Jets game?) with a MNF game too. The town of Foxborough decided to ban MNF games and that stayed in effect for 10 or 15 years.

haha yeah i read about that

SNF game vs the Jets in 2002 that the pats lost

another one is the 03 opener in buffalo.

another bad one was SNF against the colts in 06

Good choices.

There's also that MNF game in the pouring rain against the Colts, when they ran back a kickoff to win the game - I think it was 1977 or 78. There were a ton of arrests, and there had been problems the year before ( I think a Jets game?) with a MNF game too. The town of Foxborough decided to ban MNF games and that stayed in effect for 10 or 15 years.

That was the Joe Washington game. I think he returned a punt and a kickoff for TDs as well as run for another. It was pouring, water was puddling all over the turf.....it was an ugly game.

That was the Joe Washington game. I think he returned a punt and a kickoff for TDs as well as run for another. It was pouring, water was puddling all over the turf.....it was an ugly game.

That was an awful game.Anyone who was there is still wet from that one.It was 'The Saloon Crowd" at it's worst ! I agree with this game as a great choice !

The 1997 and 1998 games vs the Falcons and Bucs. Both were blow outs. Both were never close. Horribly coached and horribly played games all around. Just flat out ugly. The game vs TB was right after the Everclear stage diving "incident". The worst part was the local affiliates were not showing the patriots those weeks in CT so I went with a friend to a bar and we dropped a ton on beer to salvage our souls. We left angry and drunk.

Last edited:
Surprised nobody mentioned Indy's 40-21 beatdown at Gillette a couple years back. Truly an awful game. Couldn't stop Peyton all night, Brady didn't have the firepower to keep up (I recall he went 10-for-10 in the 1st half too). Indy actually went for 2 while up 19 with 4 minutes left - thankfully they didn't get it. What made it worse for me is that I thought the Colts were finally going to win it all after that game.

I remember a particularly inept loss to Atlanta in 1983 that had me bummed out. It was an amateur performance, in which the Pats surrendered an embarrassing fumble return for a TD. It screamed: this team will never be more than a mediocre joke, and if you root for it, you will know only suffering- like being a Jet fan.

Last edited:
for me it was December 2007. The Patriots had worked their way back from 6-5 and were at 9-5 when the Steelers came to town. A win and the Patriots would clinch the #2 seed for the 2nd straight year, not a bad accomplishment for Pete Carroll in his 1st year replacing the immortal Bill Parcells.

The Patriots had it won. They led 21-13, less than 2 minutes remaining and with the ball at midfield. How nice 10-5 would be, the magic of 1996 was back.

Then...for reasons known only to God himself, Drew Bledsoe decides to throw it to a linebacker.......

the rest is history. we lose in OT. finish at #3. lose 7-6 at Pittsburgh when Hall of Famer gets the ball stripped by Vrabel.

That was my worst regular season loss as a Patriots fan because it was such a waste, and so stupid.

Any more nominations?
Do you mean 1997?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes