PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing The Milly Lock hath return [Jalen Mills]

Glad to have him back when on the field he's played well for us. Now he needs to be on the field in December and January.

Could still use another corner but the DB group seems pretty deep and solid to me. Strength of the team maybe. I'd go draft for that corner and let Jack Marcus and rookie battle it out with Jonathan Jones slitting in where needed either outside or slot obviously still starting either way.
I’d say we definitely need another corner. The safeties are the same as last year but replace DMac with Mills, which will be a downgrade in pure talent but Mills knows the defense so can at least line the backfield up properly. Might play less single high safety this year since he won’t have the speed for it.

At CB, we’re looking at Jonathon and Jack on the outside, Marcus on the inside, Myles Bryant as the 4th guy as likely slot backup, and Shawn Wade as the 5th CB. The starters are fine but the backups are questionable, and there isn’t a lot of size there. I expect we’ll be using a very high pick (round 1 or 2) on a CB.

Muscling guys into taking pay cuts is SOP in the NFL. I do my best to try to remember that when guys use their leverage with their teams.

I’d say we definitely need another corner. The safeties are the same as last year but replace DMac with Mills, which will be a downgrade in pure talent but Mills knows the defense so can at least line the backfield up properly. Might play less single high safety this year since he won’t have the speed for it.
I agree and think they could put Jo.Jones at FS part time or full time if they want that speed there.
At CB, we’re looking at Jonathon and Jack on the outside, Marcus on the inside, Myles Bryant as the 4th guy as likely slot backup, and Shawn Wade as the 5th CB. The starters are fine but the backups are questionable, and there isn’t a lot of size there.
Totally agree...Jack and Jonathan on the outside with Marcus inside. Backups are Wade and Bryant.
I expect we’ll be using a very high pick (round 1 or 2) on a CB.
I don't think they will go round 1 or 2 at CB now that they have Mills. IMO probably 4-7.

This is very surprising! I was concerned when they released him since he seemed like a good candidate to move to safety and fill the hole at FS with McCourty gone. Very interesting that they very specifically state he is coming back to play safety. The deal says "up to $6.1M" meaning incentives, so base value is probably a good bit less. If I had to guess, I bet they put a void year on it to push most of the cost of the deal into 2024 and have his 2023 cap hit be extremely small.
They didn’t specifically say he is going back to safety. Schultz said he was told he is going back to safety.

this is good business, left him go and test market as a CB, tell him we want you back at FS if you cant get what youre looking for, smart

This is very surprising! I was concerned when they released him since he seemed like a good candidate to move to safety and fill the hole at FS with McCourty gone. Very interesting that they very specifically state he is coming back to play safety. The deal says "up to $6.1M" meaning incentives, so base value is probably a good bit less. If I had to guess, I bet they put a void year on it to push most of the cost of the deal into 2024 and have his 2023 cap hit be extremely small.
So my guess as initially released due to injury concerns and to create more cap room.. however guess that wasn't it..however this is good for the team an experienced steady veteran presence who can play the FS spot and allow Dugger/peppers to creep around the line..

So does this mean jo Jones is back on the outside?

So my guess as initially released due to injury concerns and to create more cap room.. however guess that wasn't it..however this is good for the team an experienced steady veteran presence who can play the FS spot and allow Dugger/peppers to creep around the line..

So does this mean jo Jones is back on the outside?
Could still be for cap, if the new deal has void year(s) to push some of the cost into the future. Additionally, it says “up to $6.1M” so it could be something like a low salary and several incentives that would be considered NLTBE and not count against the cap since he was out last season. Might end up being an extremely small cap hit. Also, he’s now only on the books for 2023 instead of 2023 and 2024, so it saved some space next year.

Where does Schefter say he was resigned to play S?

Muscling guys into taking pay cuts is SOP in the NFL. I do my best to try to remember that when guys use their leverage with their teams.
Right. Leverage works both ways. It just depends who has more power.

Could still be for cap, if the new deal has void year(s) to push some of the cost into the future. Additionally, it says “up to $6.1M” so it could be something like a low salary and several incentives that would be considered NLTBE and not count against the cap since he was out last season. Might end up being an extremely small cap hit. Also, he’s now only on the books for 2023 instead of 2023 and 2024, so it saved some space next year.
Got it, so in turn created cap room! To sign more FA and Draft picks.

I'm still hopeful we can obtain another CB or 2, we are very thin on the outside. Yes Draft some CBs but would like a reliable veteran on the outside to pair with jack..

Lamar Jackson... see how many games they win without him...
Right. We'll see how that one plays out, but Watson wanted out of Houston, got it and got the deal he wanted, to boot. Even after the massage scandal. That's leverage.

Nice. Very solid playing out of position, should be interesting to see him in his true position. Somewhat clarifies their intent in the defensive backfield as well regarding football Jon Jones.

I like it, they missed him last year when he was injured. Very solid player and now knows the system. Even though he seems to be more comfortable at safety, he gave them a legitimate CB2 level play at CB. In fact, I remember multiple different beat writers saying that he was playing at a CB1 level in training camp last year.

Good move! I was more surprised to see him go than D. Harris, so it makes sense they brought him back.
he does allow a lot of versatility with the rotation. But, I'd feel a lot better about him taking that DMac FS role than some rookie, or even Peppers - because he's better suited as a SS.
We have a solid SS group, but likely to draft a FS for the future.

I like it, they missed him last year when he was injured. Very solid player and now knows the system. Even though he seems to be more comfortable at safety, he gave them a legitimate CB2 level play at CB. In fact, I remember multiple different beat writers saying that he was playing at a CB1 level in training camp last year.
He did have significant buzz during training camp, but I didn't think that he was very good covering last year, but wonder if he was hampered by the groin before going on IR. I agree that he is better suited for safety.

Right. We'll see how that one plays out, but Watson wanted out of Houston, got it and got the deal he wanted, to boot. Even after the massage scandal. That's leverage.
True, didn't Watson want out of Houston before then? And he ended up staying and getting a deal right I think?

It definitely is leverage, however if he happens to look like he did last season then he may cost the Cleveland GM his job.. he looked nothing like the great QB he was pre- Scandal.

Now with Jackson the entire offense is geared towards him, and his abilities.

The playoff game against Bengals is another clear example of the leverage a player holds.

He did have significant buzz during training camp, but I didn't think that he was very good covering last year, but wonder if he was hampered by the groin before going on IR. I agree that he is better suited for safety.
@Patsgofor4

Yes, you're right. I remember Phil perry talking about he and Terrance Mitchell who looked like the best CB's in camp last season. I believe he had groin, hamstring issues going back to last season.

I like him playing at safety, it allows us to have some flexibility with the other Safeties..

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back