• Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
How would you grade Day 1 so far?

I can't quite bring myself to give it an A+, but it's at least an A- in my book.

Last edited:
A-: The minus only because I don't understand the David Thomas pick. Of course, i've been wrong about virtually everything today so take that for what it's worth. Heh.

Seriously though, I think that Maroney and Jackson are no-brainers in hindsight.

A solid "A"

We got the #2 RB and the #2 WR (maybe #1) in the draft.

We filled a need at TE with the #7 TE of the 8 picked. There wasn't much quality left for Day Two.

I'd say A-

With the minus only being because I thought we should try to get a linebacker in the 3rd round (maybe nobody was there?). They interviewed BB after the Maroney pick and he looked as happy as a clam (a BB clam, that is); then they were able to trade up and get the receiver a lot of people thought they would take in the 1st round; the tight end is a head scratcher, not because of him (he looks like a good player), just it seems we had needs elsewhere. However, BB obviously values the position (he always seems to draft one) and maybe he is worried about resigning Graham next year? Anyway, I'd say we're doing pretty good so far, although I am surprised we went all offense.

A-

Really good day. I like the Thomas pick. We need a third TE anyway and Ill take this guy over say Jed Weaver. Graham and Watson are both injury prone and it sounds like he can fill in as a pass catcher.

I'm afraid I can't grade this as anything more than a wait and see, I am a bit surprised by the all offense day one. BB, McDaniels, & Dabol obviously put a greater value on Chad Jackson then many of us using two picks to move up for him. All I can say, day two has a lot of talent left to sift through with 7 picks to bring in lots of competition.

Someone actually gave this draft an F?

B+. I really don't like the Thomas pick.

Potentially, the best draft in years. However, the yearly tight end pick is really getting old! Yet teams with multiple picks like the texans and packers took all the lineman..

JackBauer said:

Two possible suspects and motives: 1. A Colts fan who is jilted that we took their prized pick. 2. Ron Borges is angry because Belichick is still breathing.

I'm not thrilled at day one of the draft. I think David Thomas is a reach in round 3. I give it a C- so far. Time will tell if I'm wrong. Here's what I think they should have done:

21. Manny Lawson DE/OLB
52. Richard Marshall CB
75. Brian Calhoun RB*
82. Maurice Stovall, Martin Nance or Mike Hass

* Calhoun went off the board in the early 70s. A small trade up would be necessary.

yearly tight end draft? what's THAT supposed to mean??

we lost fauria...this kid is tough, great hands ,very good in short yardage...perhaps he plays the Vrabel TE spot on the goal line? No, he's no Ben watson...so what...we already HAVE Ben Watson.

Maroney is a durable back with good 4.55 speed....carries well into the 40's last season...what is so bad about this???

Many mocks had Chad Jackson going between 10 and 20...he's the fastest WR in the draft...we got him at 35..36?

Yeah, personally I wanted Manny Lawson at 21 but look at Maroney's performance ...easy to see why BB grabbed a kid that if anything looks like an Edgerrin James clone...."yeah but but but..."...but WHAT? You are all the same clowns who cried like little girls when BB took Watson....do ANY of you even rememeber who you wanted over him NOW??

Please....get out there and actually READ the national sports news outlets and THEIR opinion of the Pats draft...and quit crying like a bunch of Mel Kiper the III's.

Solid A in my opinion

I like what the Genius did. I think the tread is starting to wear off Corey Dillons's tires and this young Maroney could be our future back. Chad Jackson was a steal in the 2nd round. He has great potential. With Fauria leaving and Graham in his last year the TE pick makes sense. Go Pats.:rocker: :rocker:

kurtinelson said:
I'm not thrilled at day one of the draft. I think David Thomas is a reach in round 3. I give it a C- so far. Time will tell if I'm wrong. Here's what I think they should have done:

21. Manny Lawson DE/OLB
52. Richard Marshall CB
75. Brian Calhoun RB*
82. Maurice Stovall, Martin Nance or Mike Hass

* Calhoun went off the board in the early 70s. A small trade up would be necessary.

I actually like the Patriots' draft better.

Joker said:
yearly tight end draft? what's THAT supposed to mean??

In seven drafts, Belichick has drafted a tight end in every one.

JackBauer said:
Colts troll having fun, that's all

Last edited:
ctpatsfan77 said:
In seven drafts, Belichick has drafted a tight end in every one.

well then...there's your yearly TE pick then...or does THIS bother you so much that you are gonna go Kiperlistic about what the coach of a recent THREE TIME SUPER CHAMPION wants to do?

jeezus, some of you clowns are ridiculous with the anal retentiveness

We haven't turned up too many Eugene Chungs recently. I feel good about it.

You can make an argument for best receiver, second best running back. I don't know that it makes sense to yet... I did a post elsewhere with a 5 year breakdown, and I think you can't really tell on most players even after a year in the league. We'll see little of Maroney for at least a while, barring injury. But who better than Dillon to learn from/team with? And we'll now have the luxury of wearing of Corey's tread with two different kinds of change-of-pace options, Faulk and Maroney.

You might have just seen the MVPs of Super Bowls XLII and XLIII picked... but not XLI. I'd still take it ;)

PFnV

Solid A...

I like Maroney. I'm surprised they went with an RB in round 1, but I can't say I'm disappointed. Especially considering the troubles that they had at RB last season. Remember, Heath Evans had to start a couple of games. I like Maroney more than Williams and Addai...

Jackson was a steal. Don't be fooled by his YPC last season. That is more of a product of Urban Meyer's system. He showed as a Sophomore that he's deep threat...

The Thomas pick isn't bad at all. He's one of the surest pass catchers in the draft. He'll have a chance to be especially good on third downs and in the redzone. They didn't exactly miss out on anyone spectacular after Thomas was selected. They'll have a chance to get some defensive help early tomorrow...

a sane post...unreal....I have no idea what grade to give a draft that;s incomplete and not even in its first year onfield...the picks make sense and are good value considering...what is there to complain about?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft