Asking for your support

How would you grade Day 1 of the Draft?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
A+

Love it, love it, love it.

At first I hated the Maroney pick, I wanted Lawson, Santonio Holmes or Williams if we got a back. Then again, part of me was pissed that I thought I had BB figured out, and he decides to mess with me again, in front of people this time. But after reading the board and getting some numbers from my Mel Kiper wanna be friends, I got excited.

When we got the Jackson pick, I was ready to run out of work and run the streets. I was following on radio, and when I heard we moved up, I was trying to figure out who we would take. One of the idiots on EEI mentioned Jackson wasn't drafted yet, and I thought "No way," then the pick was announced, and, well, I lost it.

The third pick, its the annual TE, there wasn't much out there, Stovall was there, who I had us taking in the third, but we had Jackson already.

I give it a A. I like the speed we got on offense in Maroney and Jackson, espically Jackson, I haven't been this excited about a Pats offensive player picked since we got Terry Glenn a decade ago.

B+.

Would have liked to see one of the picks (3rd round) go to fill a defensive need, but I trust BB to pick for best value I guess.

Big improvement for the offense. Won't be any blitzing safeties or CB's next year. Little disappointing for the D, but we extended Sey and some of last year's walking wounded DB's might as well be draft picks. Get a sleeper LB and I'll call it a solid A.

I was at first hoping for Lawson in the first and a LB in the third, but after reading and hearing more about our players taken, I absolutey love this draft so far. A+ Go Pats!!!

Joker said:
well then...there's your yearly TE pick then...or does THIS bother you so much that you are gonna go Kiperlistic about what the coach of a recent THREE TIME SUPER CHAMPION wants to do?

jeezus, some of you clowns are ridiculous with the anal retentiveness

Sorry. . . . I didn't see your sarcasm. :(

But, as I said in another thread, I'm firmly in the camp that Belichick and Pioli know what they're doing. No Kiperlistic rants from me. :)

I apologize

a fake Pats fan set me off with his idiotic crybaby routine

kurtinelson said:
I'm not thrilled at day one of the draft. I think David Thomas is a reach in round 3. I give it a C- so far. Time will tell if I'm wrong. Here's what I think they should have done:
21. Manny Lawson DE/OLB
52. Richard Marshall CB
75. Brian Calhoun RB*
82. Maurice Stovall, Martin Nance or Mike Hass
* Calhoun went off the board in the early 70s. A small trade up would be necessary.

This would have been a very good draft, too. And, probably, far more predictable. It seems BB feels a lack of real playmakers on offense aside from Brady, Branch, and a bunch of question marks. Perhaps he feels more confident in the "coaching up" aspect of the team on the defensive side, and a hope, perhaps, that the coming season will finally see some semblance of health on the defensive side of the ball.

I'll be very curious to watch Lawson this year. I had thought they would have ranked him as highly as you did. I wonder if it was a tough choice for them?

My one real regret was that they were not able to make the GB trade for the lower 3rd-round pick. If they had stayed at 75, they could have had Schlegel, a potentially solid ILB (Ted Johnson redux?). That would have been a very interesting, and exciting choice. His negatives sound to be present only in the passing game, much like Ted's. We'll get to see him with the Jets now twice a year.

Last edited:
I hope Thomas and Maroney become good blockers, this will for sure help Brady stand in there a bit longer.

JackBauer said:
Someone actually gave this draft an F?
Its the Colts fan. He is bitter because he got some mediocore first rounder in Joeseph Addai when they wanted Maroney. Sucks that they had to go 14-2 and lose then end up with the 30th pick :cool:

Mel Kiper Jr. named the Patriots his day 1 draft winners!

So far, it's an A+. I don't see how anyone could give it less than an A.
I wanted a stud LB as much as anyone, but when you look at what we got...
Arguably the #2 RB, and what most consider the #1 receiver. I was never fond of Givens, and I look forward to what I feel will be an upgread with Jackson. And the TE we got ain't no joke. Good hands.

Toys For Tom

JackBauer said:

You can see who voted for who by clicking on one of the answer's vote tally.

I give it a solid A, while I expected a defensive slant to our first couple of pix, these pix will keep our O solid for a couple of years, I particularly like some of the stuff on Maroney about his blocking ability. Jackson was said to have come out early, his sitz here will put less pressure on him to perform immediately. Bethel Johnson will have to pick up his game or they will be working elsewhere.

JackBauer said:

must be a defense coordinator for another team who thought he was assessing his own job security facing NE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down