PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Importance To Belichick of QB2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
How important is the role of backup quarterback to Belichick?

Most of us simply say that we're screwed if Brady is injured and leave it at that. Some teams spend considerable resources on the backup QB and even carry a 3rd QB.

For Belichick, the position seems an important one. He has twice used a 3rd round pick to train a player with the idea of filling the position after a year's training. Belichick likes to ahve competition for the roster spot, and has occasionally carried 3 QB's to make sure that he always had a qualified backup that he could rely on.

I submit is that the issue with Mallett is not how much the patriots can get for him in trade. I think that the question for Belichick is whether Mallett is good enough to be the backup quarterback, this year and especially in the future. It is just possible that Mallett just hasn't shown Belichick much. Perhaps Tebow is simply in competition for the QB2 spot, this year and next. After all, Mallett is in his contract year.

BTW, I think the idea of Tebow not fitting the system is an illusion. No one fits the system. The game plan would change for anyone not named Brady. Mallet, the gunslinger, doesn't fit the system any better than Tebow. With a year of training, I suspect that Tebow will be much more ready to step in as needed than would be Mallett. I am NOT sure who I would rather have in this year, if Brady were out for a few games. We know that Tebow is coachable, disciplined and smart. And he has actually played the position of NFL quarterback for a few games.

Make no mistake, Tebow was signed to play quarterback. He is now the #3 quarterback. Perhaps, we will keep three, perhaps not. It can only be a positive if Tebow is viewed as competition for Mallett, rather than some reason to take Brady off the field for a few plays (that dog don't hunt).

Most of us simply say that we're screwed if Brady is injured and leave it at that. Some teams spend considerable resources on the backup QB and even carry a 3rd QB.

For Belichick, the position seems an important one. He has twice used a 3rd round pick to train a player with the idea of filling the position after a year's training. Belichick likes to ahve competition for the roster spot, and has occasionally carried 3 QB's to make sure that he always had a qualified backup that he could rely on.

I submit is that the issue with Mallett is not how much the patriots can get for him in trade. I think that the question for Belichick is whether Mallett is good enough to be the backup quarterback, this year and especially in the future. It is just possible that Mallett just hasn't shown Belichick much. Perhaps Tebow is simply in competition for the QB2 spot, this year and next. After all, Mallett is in his contract year.

BTW, I think the idea of Tebow not fitting the system is an illusion. No one fits the system. The game plan would change for anyone not named Brady. Mallet, the gunslinger, doesn't fit the system any better than Tebow. With a year of training, I suspect that Tebow will be much more ready to step in as needed than would be Mallett. I am NOT sure who I would rather have in this year, if Brady were out for a few games. We know that Tebow is coachable, disciplined and smart. And he has actually played the position of NFL quarterback for a few games.

Make no mistake, Tebow was signed to play quarterback. He is now the #3 quarterback. Perhaps, we will keep three, perhaps not. It can only be a positive if Tebow is viewed as competition for Mallett, rather than some reason to take Brady off the field for a few plays (that dog don't hunt).

I'd still like to think Mallett will be the heir to Brady someday. A big camp and a big preseason will go a long way to make sure he stays in that line.

The problem is if you keep 3 QB's your losing out on a young guy like Buchanan, Ebner, Vega, etc, etc.

So that leaves it as Mallett vs Tebow and to me it's a no brainier to keep Mallett. He still holds some trade value. If Tebow was cut I think there is a 50/50 chance he'd remain on the FA market so if we had an injury at the QB postion we could resign him. I'd say that there is a 99.9% chance Mallett would be signed by another team almost immediately if we cut him.

Also remember if Edelman make the team he can be an emergency QB which further eliminates the need for 3.

I spent a number of days at Pats camp last preseason and of course we all saw the preseason games. Mallett made discernible progress from the year prior and showed a grasp of the offensive playbook. His reads , given the players he had to throw to for the most part, were mostly good. Before Hoyer was moved, we got a lot of looks at HIS ability to run the offense and he was decent. I still wouldn't take him back over Mallett at this juncture.

We WILL see how far Mallett has come from last season...and very soon. I can't wait and Patriot fans from all over will be scope locked on this camp. I expect to attend at least three of the preseason practices open to the public.

Ryan Mallett was a coke and weed user while at Arkansas... The guy also never beat TeBow head-to-head while in College... Mallett also never took a dead in the water 1-4 team and carried them to the Playoffs by himself in his 1st season starting.... I say trade Mallett for a 2nd or 3rd in next years draft.. There were already rumors during the draft that Mallett was on the block... So don't be surprised if Mallett isn't on our roster by the beginning of the season... God Bless

And sb, if Mallett is the heir to Brady, you ain't got much to look forward to... And you my friend can take that to the bank... God Bless

Why do we keep on discussing an heir to Brady instead of the more immediate need for a backup quarterback? I expect any heir to Brady to be signed in 2015 or 2016.

I'd still like to think Mallett will be the heir to Brady someday. A big camp and a big preseason will go a long way to make sure he stays in that line.

If he hasn't shown much, then why did the Patriots not have even a developmental QB on the practice squad?

And, moreover, "the future" means next year. As I've said before, if he's willing to stay as Brady's backup, I'm not sure I want him as a starter.

And sb, if Mallett is the heir to Brady, you ain't got much to look forward to... And you my friend can take that to the bank... God Bless

Like I told you before....wishful thinking just doesn't make it so.

Your binky has to get a lot better than he is if he wants to even think of surpassing Mallett on the depth chart. I wouldn't bet on it.

Ian Rapoport; Aug 31, 2012
Mallett didn’t have a great rookie year, and the Patriots were concerned. Then, he showed up after his offseason in Arkansas at 10 percent body fat. Mallett had worked, and the Pats noticed. He’s already won employee of the week a few times, impressing them to no end. In games, the Patriots have actually hid Mallett, calling screen pass after screen pass so as not to show off his arm.

Adam Schefter, Feb 20
my sense is the Patriots believe in Mallett more than other teams do right now. New England has watched him in practice and really been impressed. Even Brian Daboll, who left Kansas City and joined the Patriots in the postseason, recognized that Mallett could have won the starting job with the Chiefs -- and with other NFL franchises.

Greg Bedard, Feb 25
Patriots want more than a third for Mallett. They put two years in developing him. At least a second. They'd be fine keeping him

Ian Rapoport, March 26
Patriots won't trade him unless it's for a 1st or maybe 2nd. Not there yet.

Field Yates, May 29
9. Mallett throwing fastballs. Third-year quarterback Ryan Mallett continues to develop and seems to be growing more comfortable by the season. He's the kind of quarterback who makes at least one throw per practice that catches your eye, as he can sling it into a tight window. What stuck out most today? The velocity of his throws. There were a few fastballs over the middle that practically stuck to wide receivers' hands. Consistency with accuracy is the key for Mallett.

Shane Vereen, June 17
Ryan’s doing well. He’s grasping the offense very well. He’s got arm strength like I’ve never seen. Ever. He uses that really well. He’s got tremendous leadership ability. He just needs his opportunity, I think.

Doesn't sound to me like they're describing a guy that would get cut in favor of a player that no other team wanted.

Why do we keep on discussing an heir to Brady instead of the more immediate need for a backup quarterback? I expect any heir to Brady to be signed in 2015 or 2016.

It's easy to look ahead. Brady is in the late afternoon of his career.

An emergency QB is a different issue that the #3 QB. The #3 QB would be inactive. Yes, we have always had an emergency quarterback (once this was Faulk).

If Tebow is better, then we should keep him. For me, it is that simple. sfter all, Mallett might have trade value, or not.

The difference between our positions is that I don't make conclusions before the competition has taken place.

And just BTW, if both quarterbacks do well in camp and the preseason, either would be signed quickly by another team if we were to cut him.

The problem is if you keep 3 QB's your losing out on a young guy like Buchanan, Ebner, Vega, etc, etc.

So that leaves it as Mallett vs Tebow and to me it's a no brainier to keep Mallett. He still holds some trade value. If Tebow was cut I think there is a 50/50 chance he'd remain on the FA market so if we had an injury at the QB postion we could resign him. I'd say that there is a 99.9% chance Mallett would be signed by another team almost immediately if we cut him.

Also remember if Edelman make the team he can be an emergency QB which further eliminates the need for 3.

You people really show your lack of football knowledge when comparing Mallett to TeBow... Do you actually watch Football?.... Did you see Mallett get crushed once against TeBow and choke the other time while at Arkansas?... Tim TeBow dominated in the SEC for 4 years!!!!... He was easily the best player in the game for those 4 years and IMO the Babe Ruth or Michael Jordan of College Football all time... And what has Mallett showed in the NFL?....LOL...Oh, that's right...NOTHING..... He's sat on the bench and watched...A mere spectator.... God Bless

Ryan Mallett was a coke and weed user while at Arkansas... The guy also never beat TeBow head-to-head while in College... Mallett also never took a dead in the water 1-4 team and carried them to the Playoffs by himself in his 1st season starting.... I say trade Mallett for a 2nd or 3rd in next years draft.. There were already rumors during the draft that Mallett was on the block... So don't be surprised if Mallett isn't on our roster by the beginning of the season... God Bless

I don't want to come across rude here but you appear to be extremely religious. Wouldn't you say that if what we are taught about god is true, that he wants an equal and forgiving world for all people that your post does not embody that?

I respect your desire to promote your religion but when I look around this country and think of men and woman who need people to help them achieve their goals in life Tim Tebow doesn't come to mind. He is millionaire, famous and plays in the NFL. He is likely stands in the top 5% when it comes to being fortunate in this country. But yet you feel the need to promote and help him? Why? I really don't get? He doesn't need it but there certainly are people who do.

You people really show your lack of football knowledge when comparing Mallett to TeBow... Do you actually watch Football?.... Did you see Mallett get crushed once against TeBow and choke the other time while at Arkansas?... Tim TeBow dominated in the SEC for 4 years!!!!... He was easily the best player in the game for those 4 years and IMO the Babe Ruth or Michael Jordan of College Football all time... And what has Mallett showed in the NFL?....LOL...Oh, that's right...NOTHING..... He's sat on the bench and watched...A mere spectator.... God Bless

Yeah and Ryan Leaf was great in college too. What's your point?

An emergency QB is a different issue that the #3 QB. The #3 QB would be inactive. Yes, we have always had an emergency quarterback (once this was Faulk).

If Tebow is better, then we should keep him. For me, it is that simple. sfter all, Mallett might have trade value, or not.

The difference between our positions is that I don't make conclusions before the competition has taken place.

And just BTW, if both quarterbacks do well in camp and the preseason, either would be signed quickly by another team if we were to cut him.

I make a conclusion on what I have in front of me today. If you didn't want that with all do respect why would you open this thread up? Everyone would answer the question the same way. Lets see how it plays out in camp?

Mallett does have trade value IMO. We'd be foolish to walk away from a 3rd round draft pick who's never even had an opportunity.

Brady6..... First off, yes I am unapologetically religious... I believe and thank my Lord & Savior ************ for all of my accomplishments.. (As should more people)... An equal and forgiving world?.... All I did was list FACTS about Mallett.... If you can't take the facts, get out of the den.... Now to Tim TeBow.... You don't know what Tim and his supporters have been through the past 5 years... You could never begin to imagine.... For me personally, it's one of the worst things I've seen or heard of since Jesus was crucified on the cross.. And I don't say that lightly...I'm 100% serious,,, And it's sickening... And before anyone comes back with the question... Am I comparing TeBow's NFL persecution with Jesus's Death?... No i'm not... But it's been a slap or spit to the face...Over and over again since Tim has been in the lg. ... God Bless

Fair enough.

The fact that we spent a 3rd for Mallett is not relevant. At this point it is sunk cost. I don't want a patriot quarterback to have an opportunity. I would be fine if this situation continued for another five years.

The question is who would be the better backup, this year and next.

I AGREE with you that at this point I would choose Mallett. Then the question would be whether to keep Tebow as a #3 for a year in order to have competition next year.

I make a conclusion on what I have in front of me today. If you didn't want that with all do respect why would you open this thread up? Everyone would answer the question the same way. Lets see how it plays out in camp?

Mallett does have trade value IMO. We'd be foolish to walk away from a 3rd round draft pick who's never even had an opportunity.

Brady6..... First off, yes I am unapologetically religious... I believe and thank my Lord & Savior ************ for all of my accomplishments.. (As should more people)... An equal and forgiving world?.... All I did was list FACTS about Mallett.... If you can't take the facts, get out of the den.... Now to Tim TeBow.... You don't know what Tim and his supporters have been through the past 5 years... You could never begin to imagine.... For me personally, it's one of the worst things I've seen or heard of since Jesus was crucified on the cross.. And I don't say that lightly...I'm 100% serious,,, And it's sickening... And before anyone comes back with the question... Am I comparing TeBow's NFL persecution with Jesus's Death?... No i'm not... But it's been a slap or spit to the face...Over and over again since Tim has been in the lg. ... God Bless

http://www.theirnetworth.com/Athletes/Tim_Tebow/

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373081294.253246.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373081347.440727.jpg

Please, please tell me that your joking? Jesus was hung from a cross and left to die. This kid is worth millions, plays a kids game for a career, hangs with beautiful women and travels the world.

Do you do or have any of those things? Come on man, in all likely hood Tebow should be helping you not the other way around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe