PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Ignored Position - Running Back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting to see how high everyone is on Vereen. He dropped 10.1% of targeted passes last year, tied for 3rd highest among players with 41 or more (69). He's also missed 22 o 48 games in 3 years (groin, hamstring). Ridley has been more durable for sure, and although he has 9 career fumbles to Vereen's 2, he's also handled the ball 3 times as much.
There were stories about how Vereen needed to toughen up once he got into the NFL, and while it took a little time, he got there by all accounts. His 8 games missed this season were because of a wrist that he didn't even realize was broken until after he had put together the first 100 rushing yard game by an RB of the NFL season. That doesn't sound like an injury you hold against a guy.

As for the drops, he was playing with a brace on that wrist and at least three passes bounced right off. Personally, I don't know why they didn't just have him run that route to other side where he could catch it with his right hand instead of the left, but it's a little late for that. Let's see him catch without that brace. It's pretty unanimous that he's the best receiver of the RBs on the team.

Interesting to see how high everyone is on Vereen. He dropped 10.1% of targeted passes last year, tied for 3rd highest among players with 41 or more (69). He's also missed 22 o 48 games in 3 years (groin, hamstring). Ridley has been more durable for sure, and although he has 9 career fumbles to Vereen's 2, he's also handled the ball 3 times as much.

I agree. I like the idea of Vereen much more than the play I've seen from him so far. Neither his pass-catching nor his manoeuvrability have made me forget Danny Woodhead or Kevin Faulk.

Re: 2014 Pats Salary Cap Breakdown - RBs

Keep Vereen, Blount and Bolden
Trade Ridley if there's an offer and Draft a prospect with that pick

I don't see why everyone is so high on Bolden. The guy is a JAG and really doesn't do much..

Blount and Vereen are a a good core to build around. If Ridley wasn't to stay on, then great. If not, then I wish him the best.

We have an opportunity to sign Blount and hopefully extend Vereen. The window is over the next couple of months.

Personally, I do NOT expect Vereen to play for a show-me year and then sign for the patriots. If the patriots want him to play for his future, then it seems likely that if he succeeds someone else will be more interested than the patriots (see Woodhead).

I think that it is could to focus on this position, since we may be starting from scratch if we don't. The position of running back has provided the MOST value over the last couple of years, compared to any other position. We've paid almost nothing, and have a Top 10 running game.

If we are not going to secure any players through 2015, then I think that we should draft a couple of running backs as we did last time, hoping to see them be major contributors in 2015.

I don't know what sense signing Blount and trading Ridley makes.

I don't know what sense signing Blount and trading Ridley makes.

ideally Blount and ridley are our backs for 2014, but if someone offer a 4th round pick for Ridley why not?

you keep Blount because you need to start from somewhere, Bolden for depth and Vereen taking some snaps and mixing in the passing game. With that possible pick you draft for the future. They will possibly extend Vereen, he plays a big role on the system.

The scenario of them drafting 2 rbs like last time I think is unlikely, they would need to do that this draft and there's already many other needs.

If Blount goes then Ridley stays and I'm OK with that, I just don't think we are that good at RB to not look to the market or draft.

ideally Blount and ridley are our backs for 2014, but if someone offer a 4th round pick for Ridley why not?

you keep Blount because you need to start from somewhere, Bolden for depth and Vereen taking some snaps and mixing in the passing game. With that possible pick you draft for the future. They will possibly extend Vereen, he plays a big role on the system.

The scenario of them drafting 2 rbs like last time I think is unlikely, they would need to do that this draft and there's already many other needs.

If Blount goes then Ridley stays and I'm OK with that, I just don't think we are that good at RB to not look to the market or draft.

I don't know. I don't see a scenario where the Patriots trade Ridley, who is still playing under his rookie contract only to turn around and pay Blount free agent money based on a couple of late season games. Ridley adds more value to the team than a 4th rounder does.

Signing Vereen to an extension makes little sense to either the team or Vereen himself at this time.

I think they should and will add a RB (Blount at the right price) but not at the expense of Ridley. He'll almost certainly be on the team in 2014.

I don't see why everyone is so high on Bolden. The guy is a JAG and really doesn't do much..

Blount and Vereen are a a good core to build around. If Ridley wasn't to stay on, then great. If not, then I wish him the best.

Bolden's a cheap player and good special teamer who should never see the field when the other RBs are in good health. They could probably replace him with a late round pick or rookie free agent and no one would notice the difference, though.

I'd let Blount go elsewhere if he's trying to ride his three game stretch of greatness to a contract worth much more than the veteran minimum. Ridley is the better back (and more of a power back).

BB has made it clear that he thinks guys often come into the league ready to be ball carriers immediately. But that doesn't mean they're ready to pass block or run routes.

Experience matters less at RB than at many other positions, but it does matter.

Vereen is the only back I care about keeping long term. All others are expendable IMO.

He is an excellent blocker and pass catcher and serviceable runner. He's developed a rapport with TB, he took a pay cut so players like Vereen could be kept.

Other runners can be had for 2nd-4th round draft picks on the cheap.

I'd let Blount go elsewhere if he's trying to ride his three game stretch of greatness to a contract worth much more than the veteran minimum. Ridley is the better back (and more of a power back).

I have absolutely no stats to back this up, so take it with a big grain of salt. But to me the running game looked a lot better when Blount was getting the majority of the snaps vs when Ridley was. I don't believe for a minute that Ridley is the better back (in NE's system, in another he may be a superstar) and I also don't believe Ridley is more of a power back. To me, Blount is the better RB for the way NE likes to run the ball. I'd still keep Ridley around for next season as he is cheap and knows the system. But I'd do my best to resign Blount for another 2-3 years and rely on him as the primary RB while drafting someone for the future in round 2 or 3 in the draft after the upcoming one.

Vereen is the only back I care about keeping long term. All others are expendable IMO.

He is an excellent blocker and pass catcher and serviceable runner. He's developed a rapport with TB, he took a pay cut so players like Vereen could be kept.

Other runners can be had for 2nd-4th round draft picks on the cheap.

Who started this myth that Vereen is an excellent blocker?

I wouldn’t sign Toby Gerhart he adds very little to our running game in my opinion, he is not a bagger as people may believe and he is not even an upgrade over the back that I think is the most forgotten of all Brandon Bolden. Bolden just turned 24 years old 4 days ago and he has improved in each of his first 2 season.

Career – 22 games, 111 carries, 545 yards, 4.9 average, 5 touchdowns, 23 receptions, and 163 receiving yards.

If Blount walks I would like to see Bolden more involved in the offense, I think he has a lot of ability and upside.

I have absolutely no stats to back this up, so take it with a big grain of salt. But to me the running game looked a lot better when Blount was getting the majority of the snaps vs when Ridley was. I don't believe for a minute that Ridley is the better back (in NE's system, in another he may be a superstar) and I also don't believe Ridley is more of a power back. To me, Blount is the better RB for the way NE likes to run the ball. I'd still keep Ridley around for next season as he is cheap and knows the system. But I'd do my best to resign Blount for another 2-3 years and rely on him as the primary RB while drafting someone for the future in round 2 or 3 in the draft after the upcoming one.

I don’t agree, Ridley is the more talented runner. Blount had 2 incredible football games and if he was able to do that every week he would make Peterson look like a practice squad RB but he cannot, we saw that in Denver. Ridley is more dynamic, he can get to the edge and provide more elusiveness.

That said for 2014 there is no reason we should not be able to retain both Ridley and Blount. The UFA market is strong with RBs and Blount is not going to propel from a guy we acquired for a 7th round pick and a track star to a top UFA target because of 2 games. I figure Blount can be had for $1-$1.5 mil.

Watch both backs try to get something out of nothing - look at Blount in the AFCCG. Blount tiptoes up to the line and falls over for no gain. Ridley blows through the line and gains a few yards.

Blount also fumbled 3 times on 153 carries to 4 for Ridley on 178 so it's not like Blount has a huge advantage in ball security either.

The real issue is that Blount adds absolutely nothing in the passing game (Ridley adds only very slightly more) and, to me, that makes him a veteran minimum player and nothing more. You don't pay - in free agency or in the draft - for a running back that has no role in the passing game.

I wouldn’t sign Toby Gerhart he adds very little to our running game in my opinion, he is not a bagger as people may believe and he is not even an upgrade over the back that I think is the most forgotten of all Brandon Bolden. Bolden just turned 24 years old 4 days ago and he has improved in each of his first 2 season.

Career – 22 games, 111 carries, 545 yards, 4.9 average, 5 touchdowns, 23 receptions, and 163 receiving yards.

If Blount walks I would like to see Bolden more involved in the offense, I think he has a lot of ability and upside.

Not sure how you can say that Bolden IMPROVED when his rushing numbers were nearly identical and the reason for the increased receptions was because of Vereen's injury.

People were predicting that Bolden would be the starter by mid-season and it never happened. And with good reason. He got what the O-line gave him. There's a reason Bolden wasn't dressed for 4 games and didn't get a carry in 2 others.

I don’t agree, Ridley is the more talented runner. Blount had 2 incredible football games and if he was able to do that every week he would make Peterson look like a practice squad RB but he cannot, we saw that in Denver. Ridley is more dynamic, he can get to the edge and provide more elusiveness.

That said for 2014 there is no reason we should not be able to retain both Ridley and Blount. The UFA market is strong with RBs and Blount is not going to propel from a guy we acquired for a 7th round pick and a track star to a top UFA target because of 2 games. I figure Blount can be had for $1-$1.5 mil.

Sorry, but there you go again. Making assumptions about the reason for someone not doing well. What we saw against DENVER was a failure of the blocking scheme and the Pats allowing the Denver defense to dictate what they would do.

Also, Blount had more than just 2 good games. Blount had 12 games where he had better than 4 YPC and 6 games at better than 5 YPC. You shouldn't ding Blount for the fact that the Pats use RBBC.

Not sure how you can say that Bolden IMPROVED when his rushing numbers were nearly identical and the reason for the increased receptions was because of Vereen's injury.

People were predicting that Bolden would be the starter by mid-season and it never happened. And with good reason. He got what the O-line gave him. There's a reason Bolden wasn't dressed for 4 games and didn't get a carry in 2 others.

I saw his improvements in the passing game and as a blocker. They were not anything dramatic, but in 2012 half of his running yards came in the 1 game against the Bills this season he was more consistent with his opportunities. I never predicted he would be a starter but I did see that from others as you’ve noted and tend to disagree as well. He was effective specifically when given the opportunity in the Broncos game, but make no mistake he was the 4th best runner on the team.

I would prefer to retain Blount, I think that having a full offseason with the team would be helpful in his development, if we can couple that with Ridley maintaining his improved ball security and a healthy Vereen (who also improves on his drop #s) I think we could have a great running game for Brady to lean on.

Watch both backs try to get something out of nothing - look at Blount in the AFCCG. Blount tiptoes up to the line and falls over for no gain. Ridley blows through the line and gains a few yards.

Blount also fumbled 3 times on 153 carries to 4 for Ridley on 178 so it's not like Blount has a huge advantage in ball security either.

The real issue is that Blount adds absolutely nothing in the passing game (Ridley adds only very slightly more) and, to me, that makes him a veteran minimum player and nothing more. You don't pay - in free agency or in the draft - for a running back that has no role in the passing game.

Prime - I suggest you go back and watch the AFCCG because Blount wasn't "tip-toeing" to the line. The Broncos Line was over-powering ours and getting through on a regular basis both in the pass and run game.

As for ball security, your right, Blount didn't have a huge advantage in ball security this year. But Ridley got worse this year over last, not better.

Saying that a RB is only worth the vet minimum because he brings little to nothing to the passing game is just foolish. Particularly when you look at how good the Pats running game was this year because of the inclusion of Blount.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back