Status
Not open for further replies.

Miguel

Patriots Salary Cap Guru
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
2014 Pats Salary Cap Breakdown - RBs

As of now, the Patriots have four running backs (Shane Vereen, Stevan Ridley, Brandon Bolden, and Quentin Hines). Their respective cap numbers are $1,101,275, $939,750, $574,584 and $495,333. Do not expect any changes to their contracts in 2014. LeGarrette Blount will be an unrestricted free agent. He had earned $680,000 in 2013. Expect his salary demands for 2014 to go up. I can see Blount resigning with the Pats on a 3-year $5 million deal that with incentives could increase the contract's value to $8 million. Do expect the Patriots to draft a developmental running back as both Vereen and Ridley will become unrestricted free agents after the 2014 season and Bolden, a RFA.

Vereen's salary cap page - Miguel's UNOFFICIAL 2013 Patriots Salary Cap Footnotes and Documentation Page - Shane Vereen
Ridley's salary cap page - Miguel's UNOFFICIAL 2013 Patriots Salary Cap Footnotes and Documentation Page - Stevan Ridley
Bolden's salary cap page - Miguel's UNOFFICIAL 2013 Patriots Salary Cap Footnotes and Documentation Page - Ryan Allen
Hines' salary cap page - Miguel's UNOFFICIAL 2013 Patriots Salary Cap Footnotes and Documentation Page - Quentin Hines

Re: 2014 Pats Salary Cap Breakdown - RBs

As of now, the Patriots have four running backs (Shane Vereen, Stevan Ridley, Brandon Bolden, and Quentin Hines). Their respective cap numbers are $1,101,275, $939,750, $574,584 and $495,333. Do not expect any changes to their contracts in 2014. LeGarrette Blount will be an unrestricted free agent. He had earned $680,000 in 2013. Expect his salary demands for 2014 to go up. I can see Blount resigning with the Pats on a 3-year $5 million deal that with incentives could increase the contract's value to $8 million. Do expect the Patriots to draft a developmental running back as both Vereen and Ridley will become unrestricted free agents after the 2014 season and Bolden, a RFA.

Vereen's salary cap page - Miguel's UNOFFICIAL 2013 Patriots Salary Cap Footnotes and Documentation Page - Shane Vereen
Ridley's salary cap page - Miguel's UNOFFICIAL 2013 Patriots Salary Cap Footnotes and Documentation Page - Stevan Ridley
Bolden's salary cap page - Miguel's UNOFFICIAL 2013 Patriots Salary Cap Footnotes and Documentation Page - Ryan Allen
Hines' salary cap page - Miguel's UNOFFICIAL 2013 Patriots Salary Cap Footnotes and Documentation Page - Quentin Hines

I could see Vereen getting extended in 2014.

I could see Vereen getting extended in 2014.

Absolutely I agree ...

takes a few years including injuries to mold this type of player ... we need to keep him.

Last edited:

Absolutely I agree ...

takes a few years including injuries to mold this type of player ... we need to keep him.

If healthy I can see Vereen matching or exceeding Sproles.

I hope that the Pats and Blount can reach a mutual agreement and that they give Vereen an extension. That being said, the Pats could part ways with Blount and Talib and sign lesser known players with that money and I wouldn't be surprised in the least.

I agree with the sentiment about Vereen, but would like to see how good he is by staying healthy for a while...

Fullback - As of now, the Patriots have one fullback, James Develin, signed for the 2014 season. His 2014 cap number will be $570,000. Do not expect any changes to his contract in 2014. Develin will be an exclusive rights free agent after the 2014 season.

I agree with the sentiment about Vereen, but would like to see how good he is by staying healthy for a while...

which is why I think the earliest I see Vereen getting extended is during the season.

I think BB will roll with 21-23 year old RBs on rookie contracts in 2015 rather than paying Ridley/Vereen.

If Michael Bush, BJGE, and Shonn Greene get 3-4 million per year, some team will pay Ridley 4-5 million. He's not worth that to us IMO.

Vereen is interesting. If he stays healthy and performs, he'll be a 25 year old RB in the mold of a Bush/Sproles type. That would fetch 4-5 million on the open market as well. Once again, I'd rather roll with rookies making 500-800k a year.

2015 RBs:

Rookie
Rookie
30 year old Woody back cheap
Yearly Vet JAG

I think BB will roll with 21-23 year old RBs on rookie contracts in 2015 rather than paying Ridley/Vereen.

If Michael Bush, BJGE, and Shonn Greene get 3-4 million per year, some team will pay Ridley 4-5 million. He's not worth that to us IMO.

Vereen is interesting. If he stays healthy and performs, he'll be a 25 year old RB in the mold of a Bush/Sproles type. That would fetch 4-5 million on the open market as well. Once again, I'd rather roll with rookies making 500-800k a year.

2015 RBs:

Rookie
Rookie
30 year old Woody back cheap
Yearly Vet JAG

Mostly agree with a big exception on Vereen. His skillset is unique, and he would be worth paying. With respect to your plan, I'd like to see Blount signed for 2 years, so when Ridley leaves we have a year to ramp up the #2.

which is why I think the earliest I see Vereen getting extended is during the season.

I think the team has a pretty good idea about whether the injuries he sustained have been bad luck or he is the type of player that will be injured a lot.
In that vain, if they do wait until the season, that wouldn't be a good sign.

Mostly agree with a big exception on Vereen. His skillset is unique, and he would be worth paying. With respect to your plan, I'd like to see Blount signed for 2 years, so when Ridley leaves we have a year to ramp up the #2.

Agreed. If we could get Blount cheap for 2-3 years that would be great. I could see other teams doing the Michael Bush/Shonn Greene route with him as well though.

Reposting these posts as they may be of more interest now.

Update - The Pats have signed Jonas Gray to a futures contract. He is signed through the 2015 season.

We have a solid group of four running backs. All the youngsters took a couple of years to develop. NONE of the four are signed past 2014. Unless, we want the 2015 to be all running backs, we need to address this issue in this offseason.

FA:

I support Mayoclinic's idea. Sign Gerhart to a 1-2 million a year deal. We can guarantee him more playing time since we use RBBC. He has fresh legs, a 4.7 career ypc, and has more receiving ability than Ridley/Blount. I really liked him in the 2010 draft, but he just never got a chance with AP as his teammate obviously.

Draft:

Take a RB in rounds 4-7.

There is a strong possibility of both Ridley and Vereen leaving in the 2015 offseason.

As posters, we can wish to sign individual players from other teams in the offseason. If we try, we could probably list 25 players that we would like at certain salaries.

Sure, I'd like Gerhart at 1-2 million. There are 31 other teams plus the player involved. Maybe this could happen; more likely not, just like any other situation with players from other teams.

FA:

I support Mayoclinic's idea. Sign Gerhart to a 1-2 million a year deal. We can guarantee him more playing time since we use RBBC. He has fresh legs, a 4.7 career ypc, and has more receiving ability than Ridley/Blount. I really liked him in the 2010 draft, but he just never got a chance with AP as his teammate obviously.

Draft:

Take a RB in rounds 4-7.

There is a strong possibility of both Ridley and Vereen leaving in the 2015 offseason.

I'd keep Vereen at all costs. Resign Blount unless you find an adequate power back to replace him and Ridley/Bolden are both expendable. Before anyone bashes my regard for Ridley, watch an LSU game and try to tell me you don't see at least 3 backs comparable to him. I'm just saying.

Agreed, he's only suited up for 26 of 48 games. That's not going to get you an early extension - he needs to show he can stay healthy. He also would be selling low on himself by agreeing to an early extension.

FA:

Draft:

Take a RB in rounds 4-7.

Gerhart has lost 6 fumbles in 276 career attempts (Ridley 6 in 555), don't know how that would work with BB.

Interesting to see how high everyone is on Vereen. He dropped 10.1% of targeted passes last year, tied for 3rd highest among players with 41 or more (69). He's also missed 22 o 48 games in 3 years (groin, hamstring). Ridley has been more durable for sure, and although he has 9 career fumbles to Vereen's 2, he's also handled the ball 3 times as much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
Back