PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The final verdict: Coaching Lost the Big Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree 100% with the idea that coaching was a major reason why they lost.

Yes they got manhandled on the o -line but a big part of that was because the Giants were able, in classic fashion when you know your opponent will pass, pin their ears back and come after Brady aggresively. The Pats DID NOTHING TO COUNTER THIS. They stubbonrly kept throwing Brady back there to pass deep and it eventually killed every drive.

Also Maroney's numbers did not look good because thet kept running the ball on first downs IN A VERY PREDICTABLE FASHION. They should have done delays and traps and counter plays and first down passes and second and third down runs to counter the Giants aggresiveness.

Yes they did some of this but No they did not do enough they would do it a little than revert back to leaving Brady back there to get killed.

The giants decided they were going after Brady no matter what, win or lose, and we Played right into their hands.

Put me in the camp that puts the majority of the blame for the loss on the coaches, but not all of it. The players share some of the blame for not executing (yes I'm talking to you Asante Samuel and O linemen).

Peter King in his column today points out that the Pats chipped the Giants D line less frequently in the SB than they had in the 12/29 game, which really doesn't make sense. Even if they went into the game thinking they didn't need to chip as often, wouldn't they adjust based on the fact that the Giants D line was playing their A+ game? Brady getting whacked as much as he was would have been a clear sign to me that I needed to change something up in protection.

Matt Light got abused, Mankins didn't play well either. And despite all that if Asante catches an easy pick on the last drive the Pats still win. (shaking head).

There were at least 2-3 drives in which the Pats were moving the ball by throwing to Maroney, throwing quick to Faulk, etc. and then they would go back to trying to hit a long one on a 1st/10. If the OL isn't performing well, stick with what's moving the chains. Don't self-destruct by trying to throw deep on first down.
Not sure what the drives are you are talking about..They went obce for a long bomb when they were at the 11..the drive before the half..and given it was from their 11..it wasm't a bad thought...they really did not have all that many drives..and when they threw a screen to Maroney on first down..two runs by him did not get them a first..

Guys take a look at this website: http://www.giantscheated.com/GiantsCheated.htm
Dont be fooled: its a really great, almost unbiased (its written by a Pats fan) review of the Tyree catch. Watch the facemasks, and read the summary.
As for this thread: the coaching was bad. However, out of all the stops we coulda done, we could have done the Tyree one if the Giants played fair.

We noticed this in the replay too... However, no one seems to be talking about it..

I guess it's all behind us anyway.. We didn't win and that's that. Time to move on, guys. We have 08 ahead and the Pats will respond on the field.

The people saying that was a bad call on the Plax TD must not have watched the Patriots call all out blitzes at crucial points of games every year for the last 7.

The Patriots always do this. Always.

I'll have to disagree. Hobbs was so banged up he couldn't even return kickoffs - not even the one with 35 seconds left. Even if he was healthy, he can't cover Plex 1 on 1 in the endzone. Did you watch the pre-game show? Plex was bragging about how he had 7"+ on his defender.

And no, I can't remember one of the last 127 games that a defender who was one day away from surgery covered the opponents best wide out.

I don't think the Pats had much respect for the Giants defense and it showed in how they played. There was an element of "we can score if we need to" so let's just "do what we planned to do" and go deep to Moss even if doing so is unnecessary and is killing our drives. I really wish the Packers had won the NFCCG.

No doubt this was true. Not kicking the field goal on 4th down shows that the coaching staff wasn't really worried about the Giants team. They figured they would just make it up later.

It was the coaching staff that lost this game and not the players. The coaching staff was arrogant and the players followed along, because they have to, but they did their job beyond the call of duty. You guys that are singling out Samuels are IMO dead wrong. He had to measure everything in a split second, maybe even surprised the ball came his way, and try to keep his feet inbounds.

I agree with the OP that it was the coach's fault. The Giants were much better than he anticipated.

The people saying that was a bad call on the Plax TD must not have watched the Patriots call all out blitzes at crucial points of games every year for the last 7.

The Patriots always do this. Always.

1. All the more reason to switch it up.

2. I remember them getting burned on a TO TD in Dallas in a similar situation.

While there were some errors..the fact that it was THAT close...I think makes throwing the coaches under the bus silly....that pass isn't caught and are you still saying teh smae thing about coaches?? I doubt it..(some may..rightfully IF there were mistakes..) but this all out BLAME is dumb.

While there were some errors..the fact that it was THAT close...I think makes throwing the coaches under the bus silly....that pass isn't caught and are you still saying teh smae thing about coaches?? I doubt it..(some may..rightfully IF there were mistakes..) but this all out BLAME is dumb.

some errors? a think there were many errors from preparation, being stubborn to change, to not getting welker the ball more in the first half, to not running maroney, to going for it on 4th and 13 rather than punting, and nor unning the play before, to the very last drive with 3 timeouts and going deep. why not use a timeout prior to the td when AD and the d-line was gassed.

i think they exceeded their limit because the pressure got to them. the best thing for them next year would be to get a loss early and end the undefeated talk.

I have seen alot of threads "don't blame the defense", "don't blame the offense".

The final verdict is coaching blew this game for not managing it 100% correctly and not making adjustments. They coached about 98% correctly but the Giants coached 100% correctly.

1. The Pats never made adjustments like they did in the San Diego game. This was clearly illistrated in the second half.

Why don't you milk Welker if no one could keep up with him? He should ahve had 20 catches.

You have a red hot Maroney and you choose to run 16 times and pass 48. I saw very little max protect.

Kyle Brady singled up on Osi? Kaczur singled up on Strahan?

2. 4th and 13.... no need to mention. been stated in previous threads.

3. The last defensive play bring the house. Again no need to tallk about.

Coaching had a B+ day again a Giants coaching staff that had an A+ day.

Wrong, hey you can level with us????? Are you Eric Mangini?????

Wrong, hey you can level with us????? Are you Eric Mangini?????

No This is Bill Parcells. My adopted son John Tomase does my dirty work.

There is no way BB is getting Jason Taylor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call