PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The "FAVRE - he's really coming baaack only not in GB" post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Couldn't be true - Thompson said no other teams have expressed any interest in Favre and after all - he must be telling the truth. Favre is the only jerkdog in this hunt, riiiight?

"Thompson said he had not received any trade inquiries from any teams interested in acquiring Favre."
/

There's another alternative, though with a dangerous precedent.(See Branch, Deion) Let him try to work out his own trade and have that team come to the Packers. That way Favre gets to play, the Packers aren't standing in his way and get something in return (hopefully a prorated part of his signing bonus that has three years left) and maybe conditional draft picks. It could be a win-win situation. I have to take management's side in this. He said he was retiring and thy moved on setting up a roster with that in mind. Now he wants to come back and they have to clear $13 million to fit him under the cap. That means some players will have to be cut and if Favre changes his find again and re-retires, he leaves the Packers in a worse position.

Last edited:
What you fail to grasp here is that any interest expressed in him to date has likely been expressed to Bus Cook and that's called tampering. He's on the reserve retired list and has been since March. If he comes off it, which only happens at his request, then teams may start inquiring. Not sure how many will like him enough to trade a perhaps conditional pick for his bloated $39M contract balance. Brett is due more than Brady makes over the next 3 seasons. Short of a meaningless committment from this jerk, why would you trade anything for him. And he potentially won't cooperate contractually on a trade because he wants to be FREE!!!

He has earned the right to be free, especially if GB is done with him.

Teams have a right to move on whether the player is ready or not, irrespective of who that player is. When that player tearfully retires on national television and shares with everyone the fact that he can't take the film study and minutae that running a cohesive system entails and it fried him to do it once, wtf is a FO supposed to do? Take him back weeks before camp opens and after they have announced his 4 year veteran backup as the starter and drafted 2 more youngster at the position because he can still sling in to highschool players at his local hangout? He always said he knew he could still play. That is Favrespeak for I can still sling it. Big friggin' deal - I bet Montana and Elway can to. So can Rohan Davey - he always could, just not to the place the system dictated. Ditto Favre. I'm sure Thompson would have loved to have inherited a team devoid of the problem that Favre had become, but the dead cap on his contract dictated that he had to stay at least through 2006 even as he sucked donkey balls... They would have cut him prior to last season if he had not promised McCarthy he would do it his way for once for one last shot. In his poignant retirement PC he explained that he couldn't do that ever again. It was too hard to behave like a real QB when all you ever were is a fun loving gunslinger.

I think Brett's in male menopause. This is about nothing more than hurt feelings and craving adoration. He wanted them to beg him to reconsider even after the tearful goodbye. They did, and then he confirmed he was committed to retiring. I guess that they didn't do two or three more rounds of begging and just took him at his word like the man he isn't made him feel horribly underappreciated. Even in the wake of round the clock programming and plans in GB to retire his freakin' jersey... He's jealous because now only half the attention of the entire GB faithful would be on him, and the other half would be on the 2008 team and his replacement once camp opens. He might go unmentioned save for Sunday's and Mondays once the season commenced.

How disrespectful - no, not of the team to him but of him to the entire game. He gets away with this crap because he's always played the charming good old boy card. Thing is, good old boys can be pricks at heart and Favre is proving to be just that. NFLN was monitoring call ins to a local GB radio station yesterday and three out of four Packers fans who called in said while they appreciated his career it was time for him to just go home. And if he can't do that then Thompson should do what he believes is in the teams best interest long term.

ALLOW ME TO CLARIFY MY POSITION, PLEASE.

Look, I am not trying to be a Favre apologist or supporter or defender here, really. Truth be known, I hated the guy since he broke my heart in '96 and I get the disdain for pretty boy Brett. That said, I do not feel the GB organization is lily white here either.

See, my point really is this never should have gone this far, no matter how many times Brett waffles, cries or changes his mind. It would NEVER happen here as Bill Belichick has way to much respect for the game and it's hero's to allow it get to that point. Nothing good can come of this for Green Bay anymore. BB would have made the tough decisions and cut bait long ago.

They key point for the Green Bay franchise to understand is they cannot control what Brett does, but they sure can control their own actions. In New England, BB & SP will always do what is in the best interest of winning games for the NEP. If that means, down the road, releasing Tom Brady if they feel he can no longer contribute or cannot trade him - he would give him his freedom and move on. There would be no distraction like this here - no way.

Already has been proved to some extent when they traded Drew Bledsoe to a rival in the same division, or let Milloy and many other veterans go. BB does it the right way though, he makes a decision and calls the player in and talks to him- as he did with Rosie when he told him he just no longer fits in NE's plan. No games, no lies, no deceit, just respect. Treat a veteran with respect and move on to your own business of your own team. There are very few players that leave this organization with respecting them.

Seems to me at this point, Brett Favre thinks he has two solid years left - Green Bay should allow him to play somewhere else, if they do not want to commit the next two years to him. Personally, I am not sold on Rogers and think the best shot to get to Tampa, this year, is with Brett Favre. But that is not what this is about, that's a fair debate for fans to wage. But to bring him back and tell him he is 2nd string, uh uh, won't work - let him go or not, but make a decision, now that you know he is coming back.

Anything short of releasing him if a trade cannot be worked out in a hurry is going to end up very divisive for Green Bay and disastrous for their season. That team is now divided (I love their misery there because I hate cheese heads to tell you the truth)

When one of the guys being inducted into the Packers HOF next weekend is concerned that you will now hog the spotlight because you are introducing another inductee, that's probably a good indication that even your core support base is getting annoyed with your antics...

"Former Packers defensive tackle Gilbert Brown and center Frank Winters will be inducted into the team’s Hall of Fame on Saturday. And while Winters thinks so highly of Brett Favre that he has asked Favre to introduce him, Brown is worried that Favre will hog the spotlight.

“The main thing I want everybody to remember, this is not Brett Favre Day — it’s Frankie Winters Day and Gilbert Brown Day,” Brown said. “We don’t want to be remembered on this day here Brett Favre was reinstated back into the Packers or he was let go, or whatever it was.”

Brown’s comments are another sign that there’s concern in Green Bay that Favre is becoming a distraction.

“People’s backs are against the wall. The Packers’ back is up against the wall. Brett Favre’s back is up against the wall. Somebody’s got to come to a happy medium here,” Brown said.

Brown said he understands why Favre might want to come back if he still thinks he can play at a high level, but he added, “you can also tarnish your legacy as well.”

http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

When one of the guys being inducted into the Packers HOF next weekend is concerned that you will now hog the spotlight because you are introducing another inductee, that's probably a good indication that even your core support base is getting annoyed with your antics...

"Former Packers defensive tackle Gilbert Brown and center Frank Winters will be inducted into the team’s Hall of Fame on Saturday. And while Winters thinks so highly of Brett Favre that he has asked Favre to introduce him, Brown is worried that Favre will hog the spotlight.

“The main thing I want everybody to remember, this is not Brett Favre Day — it’s Frankie Winters Day and Gilbert Brown Day,” Brown said. “We don’t want to be remembered on this day here Brett Favre was reinstated back into the Packers or he was let go, or whatever it was.”

Brown’s comments are another sign that there’s concern in Green Bay that Favre is becoming a distraction.

“People’s backs are against the wall. The Packers’ back is up against the wall. Brett Favre’s back is up against the wall. Somebody’s got to come to a happy medium here,” Brown said.

Brown said he understands why Favre might want to come back if he still thinks he can play at a high level, but he added, “you can also tarnish your legacy as well.”

http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

If GB fans BOO BRETT they could outdo Philly fans when they BOO'D SANTA!!!

200 people? That should tell you something. It's a Sunday, for God's sakes. If there were 10,000 people out there, I could see it making a difference, but 200 people...

All this drama surrounding Favre and whether or not he plays and for who really makes me appreciate the way Barry Sanders handled his decision to retire.

Sure, it was a surprise and probably didn't come at the best time for the Lions, but at least he made a decision and stuck with it.

I came across a few other tidbits of info on Favre. There seems to be a large contingent of Packer fans that playing in cold weather has affected Favre's play down the stretch in the last few years, probably due in part to his age, and that he would really like to play in a warmer climate. If that is true then it would eliminate certain teams like the Bears, Jets, Bills, Ravens, etcetera from consideration.

I also saw one person speculate that if Phillip Rivers is not fully recovered from his off-season surgery that San Diego, being a warm weather team and a Super Bowl contender, would be a perfect fit.

And while fans of half the NFL teams seem to be saying to their GMs, 'bring him here', these stats are being overlooked:

- In this millenium, Favre has thrown 14 TD and 16 INT in the playoffs.
- The all-time NFL interception leader has thrown 100 regular season INT over the last five seasons.
- In the last three regular seasons, Favre has thrown just three more touchdowns than interceptions.
- Favre turns 39 this season.
- Teams still have budgets and the NFL still has a salary cap. If Favre is traded, that team assumes his remaining contract of $39 million, three year contract. If he is released, he is probably going to want a comparable contract.
- For all that say 'bring in Favre and have him groom/mentor our young QB' - did they miss the cold shoulder Favre gave Rodgers in Green Bay, saying it wasn't his job to help Rodgers?

Great stats...sounds more like Testaverde than Bledsoe. Drew only had Brett's talent for a few seasons and did well in those seasons. Otherwise, Reggie White, Desmond Howard, and sleepy eyed Patriots ST is what won Brett his one and only SB. Favre is a great QB, but I can't put him top 5 all-time.
I live amongst many Packer fans and to hear them talk about Favre is like listening to a 5yo talk about her Daddy: blind, unconditional, and stupid love.

ALLOW ME TO CLARIFY MY POSITION, PLEASE.

Look, I am not trying to be a Favre apologist or supporter or defender here, really. Truth be known, I hated the guy since he broke my heart in '96 and I get the disdain for pretty boy Brett. That said, I do not feel the GB organization is lily white here either.

See, my point really is this never should have gone this far, no matter how many times Brett waffles, cries or changes his mind. It would NEVER happen here as Bill Belichick has way to much respect for the game and it's hero's to allow it get to that point. Nothing good can come of this for Green Bay anymore. BB would have made the tough decisions and cut bait long ago.

They key point for the Green Bay franchise to understand is they cannot control what Brett does, but they sure can control their own actions. In New England, BB & SP will always do what is in the best interest of winning games for the NEP. If that means, down the road, releasing Tom Brady if they feel he can no longer contribute or cannot trade him - he would give him his freedom and move on. There would be no distraction like this here - no way.

Already has been proved to some extent when they traded Drew Bledsoe to a rival in the same division, or let Milloy and many other veterans go. BB does it the right way though, he makes a decision and calls the player in and talks to him- as he did with Rosie when he told him he just no longer fits in NE's plan. No games, no lies, no deceit, just respect. Treat a veteran with respect and move on to your own business of your own team. There are very few players that leave this organization with respecting them.

Seems to me at this point, Brett Favre thinks he has two solid years left - Green Bay should allow him to play somewhere else, if they do not want to commit the next two years to him. Personally, I am not sold on Rogers and think the best shot to get to Tampa, this year, is with Brett Favre. But that is not what this is about, that's a fair debate for fans to wage. But to bring him back and tell him he is 2nd string, uh uh, won't work - let him go or not, but make a decision, now that you know he is coming back.

Anything short of releasing him if a trade cannot be worked out in a hurry is going to end up very divisive for Green Bay and disastrous for their season. That team is now divided (I love their misery there because I hate cheese heads to tell you the truth)

Your whole post seems to defend Favre by ignoring the current situation. GB is likely plenty willing to trade Lord Favre. Lord Favre is unwilling to be traded. He wants to be released. He has demaded it and has no doubt made it clear he won't report if traded.

If you think BB would simply release a tradable asset because he won a SB 12 years go, you really don't pay attention to what goes on in NE.

Your whole post seems to defend Favre by ignoring the current situation. GB is likely plenty willing to trade Lord Favre. Lord Favre is unwilling to be traded. He wants to be released. He has demaded it and has no doubt made it clear he won't report if traded.

If you think BB would simply release a tradable asset because he won a SB 12 years go, you really don't pay attention to what goes on in NE.

That goes to my point of letting him work out a trade and then come to the Packers FO to finalize it. Just because Brett wants it, doesn't mean he should get it. IIRC When he signed his most recent ten year contract in 2001, he got a signing bonus of $10-15 million . When he 'retired' the Packers did not ask for it back and waived their right to do so. NOW he wants to be released?? How about as a show of good faith, he gives the pro-rated portion of the bonus back to the Packers... 3 years left on a 10 year deal is about $3-4 million give or take....

Interesting quotes form when he signed the contract....

http://www2.jsonline.com/packer/news/mar01/packers03030201.asp

The contract Brett Favre signed Thursday to become the highest-paid player in the National Football League assures the Green Bay Packers that his future will never be in doubt.

As long as Favre plays football, it will be in a Packers uniform.

"I enjoy it here," Favre told reporters in a conference call announcing his lifetime contract. "I don't want to move. I enjoy the fans. I just want to stay. I couldn't envision myself playing for another team.

"If that would ever come up, I'd probably just retire. I've made enough money that I don't need to jump ship and go somewhere else. So it was just important to me to stay here."

"I enjoy it here," Favre told reporters in a conference call announcing his lifetime contract. "I don't want to move. I enjoy the fans. I just want to stay. I couldn't envision myself playing for another team.

"If that would ever come up, I'd probably just retire. I've made enough money that I don't need to jump ship and go somewhere else. So it was just important to me to stay here."
Things change and everyone knows that..what is a player's feeling one year changes over a few...THAT is the way it is.. On the other hand, Favre demanding to be released is silly..and as far as I'm concerned only lowers my thoughts about him. He knows the rules, the situations..he's been playing Lord favre, ****ing around the Packers about retiring for years..NOW, he really believes he is Lord Favre..can do anything he wishes. Yo me, he's an idiot with a big ego..let him rot on the bench or off the field at home.

Things change and everyone knows that..what is a player's feeling one year changes over a few...THAT is the way it is.. On the other hand, Favre demanding to be released is silly..and as far as I'm concerned only lowers my thoughts about him. He knows the rules, the situations..he's been playing Lord favre, ****ing around the Packers about retiring for years..NOW, he really believes he is Lord Favre..can do anything he wishes. Yo me, he's an idiot with a big ego..let him rot on the bench or off the field at home.

Favre, like a lot of athletes, especially the veterans, gets worn down over the course of the season. Like a lot of veterans, he wants nothing more than to rest and get away once the season is done. The Packers pressured him to make a decision very early on in the offseason and, at the time, he was honest in telling them that he wasn't 100% committed to coming back. The team pressed him for an answer, so he gave the one that made sense to him at the time. Now, not all that uncommonly, he's feeling the itch to play again. He is not the first player to go through this, nor will he be the last. Insulting him over it is just silly.

Favre, like a lot of athletes, especially the veterans, gets worn down over the course of the season. Like a lot of veterans, he wants nothing more than to rest and get away once the season is done. The Packers pressured him to make a decision very early on in the offseason and, at the time, he was honest in telling them that he wasn't 100% committed to coming back. The team pressed him for an answer, so he gave the one that made sense to him at the time. Now, not all that uncommonly, he's feeling the itch to play again. He is not the first player to go through this, nor will he be the last. Insulting him over it is just silly.

PLEASE

At the end of March - a full 2 months after the Packers season ended they welcomed him back and he decided to stay retired. The idea that the team asking him to decide prior to the draft is somehow unreasonable is a joke.

PLEASE

At the end of March - a full 2 months after the Packers season ended they welcomed him back and he decided to stay retired. The idea that the team asking him to decide prior to the draft is somehow unreasonable is a joke.

Where did I say that the Packers were unreasonable? That's right, I didn't. That doesn't make Favre unreasonable or wrong either.

Do you really think BB woudl allow such a distraction to rip apart his team??

Yes, I do think BB would respect the player as well in this situation - already proved it by trading Drew Bledsoe to Buffalo.

Do you really think BB woudl allow such a distraction to rip apart his team??

Yes, I do think BB would respect the player as well in this situation - already proved it by trading Drew Bledsoe to Buffalo.
First of all, Bledsoe didn't jerk around his team four straight off-seasons by hemming and hawing about retiring. Secondly, Bledsoe also didn't in fact retire and file retirement papers with the league (back then). And thirdly, Belichick didn't RELEASE Bledsoe as you have been arguing the Packers should do to Favre - he TRADED him for a first round pick. I think that would be a perfectly acceptable resolution to the Packers in the Favre situation.

Also, as I vividly recall, while it may not have "ripped apart his team", there was considerable difference of opinion amongst the fan base as to what to do with Bledsoe after the 2001 season - from trading him to reinstating him as starter. Some fans (and even some media members IIRC) made the same kind of misguided arguments that are being made about Favre, that the Patriots "owed" Bledsoe his release.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft