PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The "family" section

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know that I was just kidding. I haven't been to Gillette but I've heard that the crowd is much calmer than they were at old Sullivan/Foxboro/Sheaffer Stadium.

What I did describe was the norm there for many years before the Krafts took over.
You're not kidding, NUT! Back when we first got tix I wouldn't even consider bringing my wife, nevermind my kids.

I understand your concern. Things like that shold be duly noted on the ticket and with proper signage at, or near the section.

When I first moved to Arizona, in 1988, I got season tickets for the Cardinals and I got the in the non alcoholic section because Idont drink, and they also were under the overhang which kept them out of the sun.

I have always been a believer that alcoholic beverages should NOT be sold at sporting events because they are the catalyst for many of the altercations that take place in the stands.

I see no reason that any person cant go a few hours without a beer.

This is not intended to pick on you, or any others that may consume a beer, or beers, at sporting events, but I, for one, see no need for it.

There is no reason that any person cant go to a game, be involved with it as a fan, have a good time, and do it without drinking beer.

There is plenty of time for that after the games.

Just my two cents.

Coming from the guy that spends all of his Sundays at a bar.

Hey Scott37 have you ever heard the Brady story from when his father took him to "the catch" game in San Fran, and all he did was cry until he got his giant foam finger? Maybe we have something here, can your kid throw?

Sometimes Monday nites too. :D

Drinking coke, with lime. I can not drink alcohol for medical reasons, and besides, I cant stand the taste of it.
I drink alcohol for medical reasons. Pickling slows down the deterioration.

Sometimes Monday nites too. :D

Drinking coke, with lime. I can not drink alcohol for medical reasons, and besides, I cant stand the taste of it.

But you understand that places like the Vine are willing to pay the cost of the (commercial) Sunday Ticket package because people pay money to drink alcohol while they watch games. if it was just food and cokes the margins would not justify the cost of the package. Your little fan club would not exist without people wanting to drink a few beers while watching the game.

But you understand that places like the Vine are willing to pay the cost of the (commercial) Sunday Ticket package because people pay money to drink alcohol while they watch games. if it was just food and cokes the margins would not justify the cost of the package. Your little fan club would not exist without people wanting to drink a few beers while watching the game.
I'll drink for NEM everywhere I go.

I love people who always know what's best for others. He wasn't complaining about the family section, he was complaining that it was unmarked, which is a valid point.

As for NEM, his comment makes perfect sense: I don't do it so I don't see why anyone else has to.

Personally, I like what Portugal did a few years ago for some soccer games: they banned alcohol but said the police wouldn't enforce marijuana laws in the stadium. Everyone got stoned and officials said they had the fewest brawls in memory.

I was kidding. I would be pissed too if they didn't mention anywhere that that section was NA.

As far as legalizing weed at Gillette is concerned I am all for it, but I think it would make the fans too mellow - Not to mention it would probably be too much of a distraction for Asante.

It makes for a better homefield advantage if the fans just get piss-drunk and scream their asses off.

I sat in section 225 for the Lions game and there was a notice on my ticket that said "no alch" and on my way up the stairs to the section there was a sign that said "family section-no alcohol".

I'm glad that the Krafts toss out the drunks that used to plague the old stadium. And I think that the family section is a great idea, although ticket purchasers should be notified. That being said, I did drink a beer at a tailgate my last game.

sounds great NEM. you are the lord of all things Pats out there in the desert :)

Hey Scott37 have you ever heard the Brady story from when his father took him to "the catch" game in San Fran, and all he did was cry until he got his giant foam finger? Maybe we have something here, can your kid throw?

I have to admit I was thinking of that story when he was asking for the foam finger! He doesn't have a bad arm!

In the Washington game during this preseason I was sitting in 238. I didn't realize it was a no-alcohol section, either. I bought a beer before the game and sat up there for an hour drinking it with no hassle. I realized later that was probably because it wasn't immediately identifiable as beer, it was a draft beer in a cup. At halftime I bought another, this time in a bottle so it was clear what it was. During the third quarter a security supervisor came by, informed me that it was a no-alcohol section, checked my tickets, and took the beer away.

I told him there was no sign stating this was a no-alcohol section. He said there was, down below. I have been to a game since and looked and couldn't find it. I also pointed out my ticket had been checked as I returned from halftime by the security drone at the top of the stairs entering the section, and the drone didn't comment on the beer I had in my hand. In the end, though, it wasn't worth arguing about. If I had complained further they would probably have just used it as an excuse to take the seats away from the season-ticket holder I got them from. Amazing how a 50,000 person waiting list gives you the right do anything you feel like, basically.

Talk about the team having its cake and eating it too: I was in the same seats for the Miami game, and saw a beer vendor happy to sell to someone in the no-alcohol section. Just told them they couldn't drink it there, to take the beer up the stairs to the 300 level to drink it. Yep, that's a great way to encourage a family section, tell people in it they need to chug their beers.

Personally, I think the entire stadium, and ALL sports venues should be alcohol free.
What other fans' rights do you want to take away just because you don't like them ?

Your comment is ridiculous. Fans rights? Don't be stupid. Other fans have rights to go to a game and bring their kids if they want and not have profanity and ignorant people who are drunk spill beer on them or start fights and have the risk of injury.

If anyone cant wait three hours to have a beer, then there is something wrong with them.
so if I behave and have a beer, I am one of the animals you speak of? I am a responsible adult NEM

lighten up on the crusade NEM, too much advertising from Beer companies, too much revenue from beer sales. It will never be removed.

I have known about the family section for a while, all arenas now have them. Basically it is an alcohol free seating area but the profanity is still there, the rabid fans base is still there. if a player stinks the joint out - he will get booed the same, with the same vile rant.

I think an adult should be allowed to have a beer if he/she wants without judgement being made on them. I will take my kids to a game next year - they will be 4 and 5 years old and sit in my season tickets with me. I also will not have a beer because I will be driving them to and from, however, every individual that sits in my area has the right to partake in the legal activity of imbibing a cold alcoholic beverage if they choose to.

I hate the smell of coffee- should I request a coffee free seating area at Gillette? I think the children around me the past few weeks have had a great time. We police each other to make sure the language is in check and in case you didn't know the Drunk Crowd is disappearing at the stadium being replaced by corporate clients who do not cheer at the proper time and lower the noise level to an embarrassing level - maybe more Empty RED SEATS will make you happy.

I took my 9 and 6 year old daughters to games this year and had no problems at all, even in the drink-as-much-as-you-possibly-can section 315. I think they had more fun watching the drunks than watching the games. They still talk about the big fat bald guy that was getting peanuts thrown into his mouth from 10 rows up.

I've seen drunks at "family" restaurants. Doesn't mean they should ban booze from them. But I'm all in favor of alcohol-free sections if they're clearly advertised as such. I would guess that would make it easier for a recovering alcholic to enjoy a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News