PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The fallout of Spygate

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only speculative explanation that's credible to me as to why Kraft did not respond to the outrageous distortions is that somehow the Comissioner told him that if the Patriots presented a vigorous defense (thereby in Comm Clouseau's eyes extending the issue in the public eye) that he would impose further, more onerous sanctions.

Because of this gag order Kraft had to sit back and see mediots and players extend the issue ad infinitum.

that doesn't ring true...there is mutual dependency between the league and the owners...i know folks out here don't like jerry jones and snyder and laurie and isray...but they wouldn't have stood for that...they would never have let the hired help push one of their own around like that...

remember, they're the rich guys and goodell, ultimately, is the paid servant who's counting the money in his IRA...he worries about pulling down a mil or so a year...to them, that's a rounding error in one of their accounts...the deal is that he gets to swing his **** to some extent, but, in the end, he's only the hired help and he knows who can cut it off at any time.

you dont' really thing that billionaires like kraft and jones and laurie and snyder really have the time of day for a lawyer whose salary they pay, do you? this is all about mutual self interest and these guys chew up and spit out guys like goodell every day of the week.

Last edited:
I wonder how many other teams message board have threads up these days debating spygate...

Honestly, Kraft moved on, so did BB and the team. Only people who can't seem to are bitter, jealous losers...or patsfans posting here.

remember, they're the rich guys and goodell, ultimately, is the paid servant who's counting the money in his IRA...he worries about pulling down a mil or so a year...to them, that's a rounding error in one of their accounts...the deal is that he gets to swing his **** to some extent, but, in the end, he's only the hired help and he knows who can cut it off at any time.

ah yes...."how????"..."why????"...."makes no sense!?!?"....EXACTLY. Perfect cover for a paid, beholden agent of a NY football team to DESTROY the closest threat to what could well be a MARKETING BONANZA in a metropolitan area containing FIFTEEN MILLION PEOPLE. What the hell does Goodell care about the rest of the league if HE ,in collusion with the two owners of the NY franchises, works to build up and establish the TWO NY franchises as the flagships of the NFL. Imagine his cut of a Giants/Jets Super Bowl marketing frenzy and a steady, decade long stay by these two teams atop the NFL heap. NOW it's EASY to see why a mere "servant" would behave in the manner that he has these past two years. Objective NUMBER ONE for a person like this would be the immediate destruction of the image of any pro football team that is in the way, especially one so close as to be right down the street. It would be IMPERATIVE to reduce the NE franchise to shambles for the NY/NY cabal to succeed in the near future. Just LOOK at what he's allowing to take shape in NY with the Ryan image and the open declarations of premeditated violence by players on that team i.e. Bart Scott. You think this is all just mere happenstance? A coincidence? The NFL is squeaky clean because Roger Goodell is commissioner? All other areas of American enterprise have been proven to be corruptible, have been corrupt and continue to be corrupt, yet we're supposed to just sit here and watch this OBVIOUS bushwhacking and shrug it off as an anomaly????

You're right. He's a mere employee of the owners. I ask you THIS however....WHEN ,in any sport, have you EVER seen an "employee" wield a bully stick, shoot his mouth off, trample all over NFL traditions and basically do whatever the hell he wants league wide, meting out harsh punishments to certain franchises while not even slapping the hands of others for EQUIVALENT OFFENSES????? It speaks to his holding cards in a game we don't even know is being played.

Rot and stink, stench and corruption eventually see the light of day. The tenure of Roger Goodell will someday be fully opened up to scrutiny and I firmly believe he will be justly excoriated and hopefully prosecuted for his actions as commissioner of the NFL.

and the reason I bring all this to the forefront again is because PORTER has brought up these LIES once again...unchecked...left to blabber like a moron COMPLETELY FALSE accusations with ZERO response from Goodell. HOW is this possible????? What possible reason could Goodell have to ALLOW this insanity, these lies, the constant innuendo, the persistent attacks and the week in and week out onslaught of OUTRIGHT prevarications by members of his league?

It's the old duck story...it it walks, quacks, has an orange bill and craps pellets...guess what it is.

I want answers to this non stop barrage of lies leveled at the Patriots...not only as a fan but as a citizen of the U.S. If this level of outright lying can be sanctioned within our society how long before anybody with a grudge just starts spreading open lies, unchecked and unbridled, about the companies we work for, the churches we go to, the organizations we patronize and the social strata we live within?

ah yes...."how????"..."why????"...."makes no sense!?!?"....EXACTLY. Perfect cover for a paid, beholden agent of a NY football team to DESTROY the closest threat to what could well be a MARKETING BONANZA in a metropolitan area containing FIFTEEN MILLION PEOPLE. What the hell does Goodell care about the rest of the league if HE ,in collusion with the two owners of the NY franchises, works to build up and establish the TWO NY franchises as the flagships of the NFL. Imagine his cut of a Giants/Jets Super Bowl marketing frenzy and a steady, decade long stay by these two teams atop the NFL heap. NOW it's EASY to see why a mere "servant" would behave in the manner that he has these past two years. Objective NUMBER ONE for a person like this would be the immediate destruction of the image of any pro football team that is in the way, especially one so close as to be right down the street. It would be IMPERATIVE to reduce the NE franchise to shambles for the NY/NY cabal to succeed in the near future. Just LOOK at what he's allowing to take shape in NY with the Ryan image and the open declarations of premeditated violence by players on that team i.e. Bart Scott. You think this is all just mere happenstance? A coincidence? The NFL is squeaky clean because Roger Goodell is commissioner? All other areas of American enterprise have been proven to be corruptible, have been corrupt and continue to be corrupt, yet we're supposed to just sit here and watch this OBVIOUS bushwhacking and shrug it off as an anomaly????

You're right. He's a mere employee of the owners. I ask you THIS however....WHEN ,in any sport, have you EVER seen an "employee" wield a bully stick, shoot his mouth off, trample all over NFL traditions and basically do whatever the hell he wants league wide, meting out harsh punishments to certain franchises while not even slapping the hands of others for EQUIVALENT OFFENSES????? It speaks to his holding cards in a game we don't even know is being played.

Rot and stink, stench and corruption eventually see the light of day. The tenure of Roger Goodell will someday be fully opened up to scrutiny and I firmly believe he will be justly excoriated and hopefully prosecuted for his actions as commissioner of the NFL.

so, you're suggesting that Woody Johnson and the Maras are paying off Roger Goodell to let the Patriots be trashed and ultimately brought down? I mean, in the spirit of "follow the money," who's paying what to whom?

so, you're suggesting that Woody Johnson and the Maras are paying off Roger Goodell to let the Patriots be trashed and ultimately brought down? I mean, in the spirit of "follow the money," who's paying what to whom?

I think he was being sarcastic. Not sure though :confused:

I want answers to this non stop barrage of lies leveled at the Patriots...not only as a fan but as a citizen of the U.S. If this level of outright lying can be sanctioned within our society how long before anybody with a grudge just starts spreading open lies, unchecked and unbridled, about the companies we work for, the churches we go to, the organizations we patronize and the social strata we live within?

I'm sorry to be the one to tell you this, but outright lying is sanctioned every day in this country, so there doesn't have to be some sort of elaborate cabal for it to have occurred in this case.

Thousands of young men and women die in illegitimate and poorly conceived wars in places like vietnam and iraq because of lies told by politicians; we have an entire financial system that is being propped up now, today, and allowed to function because of mistruths from the highest levels of our government; advertisers lie about their products; meat packing plants lie about their compliance with health codes and kill people with salmonella; companies lie about the circumstances of their performance to keep their share value high; Bernie freakin' Madoff sent hundreds of thousands of monthly statements to thousands of investors that were nothing but fiction while the SEC had its collective thumb stuck up its ass; tens of thousands of lies are told for financial or personal advantage every hour of every day.

What's the mystery in sports media telling a few lies about a football team to boost ratings and attract viewers? People like Joey Porter are just ignorant idiots who feed the machine by buying into it.

As far as I can see, the primary financial motive for allowing lies to continue and build belonged to ESPN and a couple of other media outlets. I just don't buy your theory, as there is no hard, rational evidence to support it. If you can give me some, I'd listen.

Last edited:
I'm sorry. I cannot give you "evidence" of anything other than what I've seen and read in print. My life experience has taught me that when I see certain situations and hear certain spoken structures that there is more to a picture than the face of it.

I have a hard time believing anybody cannot see that on one hand you have the coach of the NY Jets admitting to having TWO cameras on the sideline filming the Patriots in defiance of the rule, THEN saying the Patriots and Bill Belichick gave him permission, when this has been VEHEMENTLY denied by BB and the Patriots, with subsequently NO ACTION taken by Goodell...NONE....EVER...and then on the other hand the whole passion play that is the spygate saga....orchestrated by Goodell, propagated by Goodell, sanctioned by Goodell and allowed to run amok unstopped week after week, month after month for two years now, by Goodell.How do you explain this?????

According to you, this is all about a media outlet's ratings and is nothing more than that, has NOTHING to do with Goodell and there has never been any double standard. Then explain why Mangini walks away from THIS with NOTHING....NOT ONE THING...from the commissioner or the NFL...about filming on the field.

The spy games between the New York Jets and New England Patriots began last season.

The Jets were caught videotaping at Gillette Stadium last season and the Patriots had that New York employee removed from the area, according to published reports Wednesday. Jets coach Eric Mangini said his team received permission to film behind both end zones during the playoff game in January.

"We taped the game, is what we taped, and we taped end-zone copy of the game, and we tape a double end zone, which is standard operating procedure for us," Mangini said Wednesday. "We request that every single road game, and it's usually granted if physically it's possible. And when people request it from us, we do the same thing: We grant it."

Mangini maintained the Jets did nothing wrong, and had filmed at New England during the regular season without incident. It was nothing like what the Patriots did earlier this season, when a New England employee was caught taping New York's defensive signals and punished by the league.

"We do it every time we go on the road," Mangini repeated. "We ask for permission to do it. It's within the league rules, and when people ask us to do it, we grant it, as well."

When asked why the Patriots stopped the Jets if they had already given them permission, Mangini just shrugged.

"I don't know," he said. "Really, it just was what it was. We had asked for permission, it was granted and then that changed, and we respect their decision. It's their stadium."

Mangini was also asked if the Jets were, at all, taping the Patriots' defensive signals.

"No," Mangini said smugly.

He was then asked if the Patriots requested similar permission to have someone taping at various angles or end-zone angles. Again, Mangini replied simply: "No."

What he was doing was different??????? He taped the entire game AND taped the Patriots giving defensive signals yet the Patriots were bushwhacked and burned down because only THEY were taping defensive signals??? See the unbelievable hypocrisy? For chrissakes, Mangini had TWO freakin' cameras running on the field the whole game...what the hell more do you need to see in print?

It is inexplicable if one is to assume Goodell is above board.AND Mangini LIED in his statement to the press ...he was NEVER EVER given permission to tape the game.

Last edited:
For the love of God just stop it. There was no consipiacy, just jealousy met opportunity. Could reason have prevailed and less been made of it? Absolutely, but at the time the opportunity appealed to too many outside of NY. And an out of his league rookie commissioner intent on establishing his authority got played like a violin by the old guard he was forced to defer to. The competition committee's own jealousy and the media's utter disdain for Bill engineered a mountain out of a mole hill. A bunch of Borges wannabes saw their golden opportunity to take the genius that annually threatened their very existences down at least a peg if not for the count and ran with it. Unfortunately for them he wasn't down long.

Rehashing it here periodically accomplishes nothing but giving credence to the handfull of losers who still insist it had to have significance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back