Welcome to PatsFans.com

The End

Discussion in 'Patriots Draft Talk' started by Revman, Apr 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Revman

Revman Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

If it came down to Patriots drafting Jarron Gilbert or Michael Johnson at 23, who would you rather select. It seems high,especially for Gilbert, but which of these two Ends would have a brighter future for Pat's?

2. Lockdown06

Lockdown06 On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I wouldnt really want either of these guys with #23, i think both of them have value only if they drop to the second round.

But, with a gun to my head, give me michael johnson - insane measurables, questionable work ethic, but if any team can get him to maximize his effort, its the pats.

3. TriplecHamp

TriplecHamp Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +112 / 2 / -1

#24 Jersey

What he said.

4. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +393 / 33 / -5

My man is Gilbert.

5. WhiZa

WhiZa Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Gilbert at the very least is a good passing rushing DE. Add a few extra pounds and he could be a 3 down DE in a 3-4. Johnson is a OLB project who shows nothing against the run. I honestly can't see Johnson starting for any team in the NFL. Gilbert would be my pick.

6. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +530 / 13 / -14

#24 Jersey

I'll take Gilbert - excellent upside and a tougher position to find.

7. Revman

Revman Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I have remained consistent with my top 3:

1. Rey Maualuga-ILB
    2. Alex Mack- Center
    3. Evander Hood-DL

* My wild card has been Larry English

* My instinct is telling me that it is a real possibility that Patriots snatch up Michael Johnson-DE-Ga.Tech. I can not explain why his name keeps coming back to me. I feel that he is a Jevon Kearse type athlete. Has elite tools-Belichick may be intrigued enough to make this addition. Pass rusher is a void. Even if Pat's add J.Taylor or Julius Peppers, Johnson could be very tempting to groom in the rotation. His ceiling is way higher than most if a coaching staff can push him. His best could be ahead.

8. DW Toys

DW Toys In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +14 / 1 / -2

They both have not played up to their abilities in 2008 but are both diamonds. My vote (like to have them both and Johnson plays the OLB we have been trying to "buy" in Taylor or Peppers) is Johnson. He played for a high caliber conference with a national audience in the ACC. He is 6' 7" and 266. He runs a 4.48 40!!!!!!! He had 9 sacks and 17.5 TFL in 2008 and they said he had an off year??? He also drops well and has played OLB. He dod great in the combine in coverage drills. He had an INT last year as well. He was rated a top ten player for the draft at the beginning of 2008 but Georgia Tech had a mediocre season. He just needs the passion of Taylor and he is there for the pick at #23. Some of the DEs we are looking to convert have not.
    DW Toys

9. p8ryts

p8ryts Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

If it came to those two, I would pass on that selection.

10. bigcountry75

bigcountry75 Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I really like Johnson. I have been reading on this message board for a couple of months and decided to finally register and start giving my 2 cents. I keep reading alot of this guy doesn't fit into the pats system or he doesn't relate to an ex patriot player in the same position that was great. So what. I think the knock on Johnson is that he doesn't play the run that well, isn't that why we pay warren, wilfork and seymour? I think it would be nice instead of getting our "system" guys that we got an athletic freak like Johnson. He will be able to rush off of the edge, stretch out running plays, stay with backs out of the backfield and just be able to make plays with sheer athleticism. We really haven't had a lot of athletic players over the years and we have done fine because the players we had (vrabel, bruschi, rodney) were smart and could make up for what they lacked in athleticism. I think though that we do need to get that high energy freak like guy (ware, merriman, james harrison, Kearse in his prime, freeney) and I believe Johnson would fit that mold. I know that people will disagree but hey that's my opinion.

11. Clonamery

Clonamery PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +114 / 0 / -1

Exactly, it ain't Sophie's Choice.

12. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

Welcome.

Linebackers in a NE 3-4 are required to play the run and drop into coverage. Part of why Vrabel wasn't as effective last season was he had an apparent shoulder injury and was unable to control his blocker with one arm when setting the edge, Crable was inactive because he was too weak to set the edge. Johnson is just another version of Crable with more questions about his work ethic and willingness to be physical at the point of attack.

13. billdog3484

billdog3484 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

im hoping for tyson jackson. i think hes a guy we could be targeting. probably would have to trade up 5-10 spots but hes gonna be a good 3-4 end in the mold of seymour

14. patchick

patchick Moderatrix Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,134 / 9 / -2

#11 Jersey

Funny thing -- you can replace Johnson's name with Gilbert's in that sentence, and it works for me!

Johnson has more question marks on actual football skills. He doesn't play with strength and is and a poor tackler. Both have extraordinary physical potential, but I like Gilbert much, much better as an all-around football player.

15. Ochmed Jones

Ochmed Jones Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +15 / 2 / -0

#12 Jersey

I lreally like Mack. His game is very tight and of all the centers in this draft, I think he has the best chance to excel at OG as well.

16. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +393 / 33 / -5

Mack will be a fine center. Please show the references to analysis of his ability to player guard; I haven't seen any. There is lots of evidence of the ability of Wood and Unger to play many spots on the OL. I think 23 is a bit early for Mack unless a team needs a starting cetner this year,

17. WhiZa

WhiZa Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

He tried guard at the senior bowl, and said he wouldn't mind it at the next level. Not much evidence of his ability though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.