PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The End Of Kickoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
flag football sooner or later with more $$ being paid out...

Punting from the 30, you'd expect 40 yards net, so the opposition would on average get it at their 30, better position than they get now.

This seems kind of gimmicky to me. Are punt returns really THAT much safer than kickoff returns that we have to change the essence of the game?

It's like college overtime rules, which just isn't really football, or how the game is normally played. Neither is a contrived 4th-and-15.

I support pretty much any rule change which helps prevent injuries to other human beings, but I'm a wacko liberal pinko ***, apparently.

So you'd support the elimination of tackling, and it's replacment with the idea of a "tackle" being the grabbing of a piece of fabric from around the waist of the player with the ball? That would certainly help prevent injuries.

Hyperbole may have gotten the better of me here. I just took exception to the notion that this rule suddenly is the first stepping stone to flag football and how I "damn well know it", when there are numerous examples of society being perfectly willing to accept dangerous behavior... assuming they've reached an acceptable level of mitigation.

Got it. Thanks for clarifying.

I support pretty much any rule change which helps prevent injuries to other human beings, but I'm a wacko liberal pinko ***, apparently.

Yup. I feel for you :)

If it weren't for those evil kickoffs Jeff Demps wouldn't be on IR :mad:

That and Dane Fletcher in pre-season also (and that might have been a punt?) are the only 2 injuries off the top of my head this season I can think of on a kickoff.

Football is a contact sport , injury just happens and there is nothing you can do to change this cruel reality . The risk of a RB diving in for extra yds is also relevant...so what's the next step ??? Bring Flag Football on Monday night ??

That and Dane Fletcher in pre-season also (and that might have been a punt?)
Yep, a punt. It was also called back because of a penalty, so it was a meaningless play in a meaningless game. What a shame.

Emperor Mongoloidell and the Reign Of Error.....let's take a giant crap on Mel Gray's NFL legacy,and Gale Sayers, and Brian Mitchell,and Desmond Howard, and Billy White Shoes Johnson, and Josh Cribbs, and Leon Washington, and Tim Brown,and Dante Hall, and Darren Sproles, and Allen Roosum,and Herschel Walker, and Bo Jackson, and well...who cares now....screw these so called electrifying NFL stars that have spanned decades, thrilling ALL NFL fans from 8 to 80 with their riveting performances on the grid iron..nah...let's scrap all this crap and have the whole thing boiled down to a 4th down and 15....

please....the CIA needs to abduct this idiot, put him a strait jacket spacesuit and blast him off into interstellar space on a hijacked NASA Titan rocket

cya Rog!!! say hi to Mork and E.T. you friggin' intergalactic moron...

TitanIII.jpg

I'd rather see the ball spotted at midfield with teams lined up tight at the 45s, then have them do a loose-ball scramble at the whistle.

If you're going to screw up the game, at least do it in a fun way :p

So you'd support the elimination of tackling, and it's replacment with the idea of a "tackle" being the grabbing of a piece of fabric from around the waist of the player with the ball? That would certainly help prevent injuries.

Yes. Absolutely.

Because my entertainment isn't worth injuries to another human being.

word is ol' 3 Braincellsdell has his eye on NASCAR now and has proposed that all current cars be scaled down to go carts with nothing more powerful than lawn mower engines by 2015..and turning his brilliant eye on baseball, Cydellclops urges mandatory full body foam rubber body suits with KEVLAR outerlayers for all batters playing MLB....

and he's doing it all for US, the fans....you gotta believe him...

Comical-Ali-Goodell.jpg

Yes. Absolutely.

You are aware these are human beings doing this voluntarily right? And you choose your entertainment willingly?

Yes. Absolutely.

And yet you watch it and post about it on a message board. Your actions don't seem to be meshing with your words.

Last edited:
You are aware these are human beings doing this voluntarily right? And you choose your entertainment willingly?

And yet you watch it and post about it on a message board. Your actions don't seem to be meshing with your words.

I knew I was going to get this sort of response.

It's really very simple. I love watching football. I hate watching people get injured. I'm not going to boycott football but I will support anything that results in improved player safety - specifically reducing concussions which have been shown to lead to a lot of problems after a career ends.

Call me a hypocrite for continuing to watch it, if you want. But I'd prefer that to being someone who is erring on the side of what makes for better watching when it comes to choosing over improvements to player safety or not.

It's really very simple. I love watching football. I hate watching people get injured. I'm not going to boycott football but I will support anything that results in improved player safety - specifically reducing concussions which have been shown to lead to a lot of problems after a career ends.

Call me a hypocrite for continuing to watch it, if you want. But I'd prefer that to being someone who is erring on the side of what makes for better watching when it comes to choosing over improvements to player safety or not.

Fair enough. Nice response.

Goodell is a business suit that doesn't understand the sport. His thinking is mindless and only for legal reasons.
Who is he to rewrite years of tradition or change a proven successful product ?
Like the CEO of the Zip Drive he will run this company into the ground with his silly ideas, ego ( as if he created anything).
The NFL became popular because of the way it was, not because of how he is changing it for profit reasons.
This man is to incompetent to run a business like the NFL, where he doesn't understand the product, and does not care about the customer. The fan.

I am fairly sure many more ridicules ideas will pop from his swollen head, I worked with these guys to much. He needs to be removed, and a suitable enforcer found.

:confused2:

Ok, you're a hypocrite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes