PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The End of Football

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really hate my generation. We're nothing but a bunch of spoiled, entitled, technology obsessed brats that have contributed little to nothing to the world. We've had our asses wiped for us since birth and have been told how special we all are. Contrast this with the World War II era generation and you have a steep, STEEP decline.

The baby boomers are the worst 'generation' of human beings ever to pollute the planet, so don't feel too bad about your own group.

When I was in the Air Wing during the Swingin' 80s, our tech training sessions would consist of 50
minutes followed by 10 minutes of using the head/shooting the sh!t/grabbing a godamn snack, 45/15
maybe if our instructor was satisfied with our progress.
I just can't see how a thorough study of the lesson plan can be accomplished when it is interrupted
every half-hour. A full 1/3 of that half-hour is likely spent just re-hashing the previous half-hour.

I really hate my generation. We're nothing but a bunch of spoiled, entitled, technology obsessed brats that have contributed little to nothing to the world. We've had our asses wiped for us since birth and have been told how special we all are. Contrast this with the World War II era generation and you have a steep, STEEP decline.

Whoa. I thought you were in your 60s. Jk.

There's nothing wrong with my generation if you had your ass whooped when you were a kid.

Well based on this 30 attention span and the coaching staffs reinforcement of it, they should have some real good first quarters but than fall apart for an inability to remain attentive. Should make for some real blow out losses.

that's what timeouts are for

The dub dub 2 generation sure was a great time to be alive if you were a white male.

That said, this is a really interesting thread if you ask me. The question is what is going on when 1 in 32 teams in an elite organization - forget the athletics, I am thinking the knowledge of the game for this piece - cannot sit still for its meetings.

I'm thinking back to college. I did not like classes. I loved knowledge. I did not like focusing on assigned reading. I preferred drinking and otherwise distracting myself. I realize in retrospect 30 years later that I remember a great deal from the tedious work, and I was forcing myself through it.

A few things go through my mind:

- the reason you're addicted to your phone is that you're going to get a big flood of chemicals in your reward center when you reassure yourself that your social group accepts you and values you. This is addiction; it's not just a figure of speech.

- think about what preceded this: face-to-face bonding as the only way you got that reward.

- Are the two at odds - are you bringing all your buddies to practice and trying to bond with them on breaks and disregarding the other XX people you have to be with on the field to a certain extent?
What would happen if you brought your actual wife and/or girlfriend and/or buddies to stand outside the fence a generation before, and you went over to see them every half hour for 10 minutes?

- What about team meetings is unnecessary to the would-be participants/learners? What about them is necessary information? The coaches seem to think the information is all necessary. Players evidently disagree. To them it is natural that they will "tune out" at a certain point... and the 9ers coaches are accommodating that. Are they incapable of commanding the attention of the team? Are the players incapable of meeting them halfway on remaining engaged (as this policy assumes)?

There are proven ways to improve engagement - I am trying to figure out what's the subject matter. Is it a bunch of Xs and Os and film? That's what I imagine it is. How is the information organized? Is it thematically unified in a way to drive chunks of information from short-term memory to long-term memory?

I agree with a no-phones-in-the-meeting policy... unless it's true that the subject matter truly is not that important, and they've just "always done it."

Is one of these little ****ers going to be my boss sometime before I retire?

I can't believe that a thread titled The End of Football is into it's third page and there still isn't any mention of Goody the Jet. If anything really can end the NFL it would be keeping it in the hands of former Jets.

That said, this is a really interesting thread if you ask me. The question is what is going on when 1 in 32 teams in an elite organization - forget the athletics, I am thinking the knowledge of the game for this piece - cannot sit still for its meetings.

I'm thinking back to college. I did not like classes. I loved knowledge. I did not like focusing on assigned reading. I preferred drinking and otherwise distracting myself. I realize in retrospect 30 years later that I remember a great deal from the tedious work, and I was forcing myself through it.

- the reason you're addicted to your phone is that you're going to get a big flood of chemicals in your reward center when you reassure yourself that your social group accepts you and values you. This is addiction; it's not just a figure of speech.

- think about what preceded this: face-to-face bonding as the only way you got that reward.

- Are the two at odds - are you bringing all your buddies to practice and trying to bond with them on breaks and disregarding the other XX people you have to be with on the field to a certain extent?
What would happen if you brought your actual wife and/or girlfriend and/or buddies to stand outside the fence a generation before, and you went over to see them every half hour for 10 minutes?

- What about team meetings is unnecessary to the would-be participants/learners? What about them is necessary information? The coaches seem to think the information is all necessary. Players evidently disagree. To them it is natural that they will "tune out" at a certain point... and the 9ers coaches are accommodating that. Are they incapable of commanding the attention of the team? Are the players incapable of meeting them halfway on remaining engaged (as this policy assumes)?

There are proven ways to improve engagement - I am trying to figure out what's the subject matter. Is it a bunch of Xs and Os and film? That's what I imagine it is. How is the information organized? Is it thematically unified in a way to drive chunks of information from short-term memory to long-term memory?

I agree with a no-phones-in-the-meeting policy... unless it's true that the subject matter truly is not that important, and they've just "always done it."

Interesting thread and post.

Phone addiction - One of my sons went to Korea 8 years ago and he commented then that it was odd how everyone was walking around with a device of some kind. Now he can't be without his.

Back in my working days I was sent to a one day seminar that used a 40/20 hourly breakdown between subject matter and breaks. Food was served at every break and it was pretty effective. The only problem was the subject. The seminar turned out to be a lesson in how to fire an employee and make it stick. All four of us were supervisors but not managers and one guy loved it, the guy who lobbied to have us go to the seminar in the first place. He'd be the type of guy that you want to watch out for now. :)

When I go to professional seminars now I like that there is time built in between sessions. I try to drive myself to be incredibly attentive to what's being taught or discussed, like it's the most important thing in the world, no because I'm this super go-getter, but because otherwise there's a chance I'll be fighting off sleep. I might have some undiagnosed "disorder," or the "disorder" might be being human. If I'm not engaged, off I (might) go. But much of my work consists on making material strike home and engage audiences (for others) so it's helpful to understand the effects on myself.

The reality is that NFL locker rooms are different than typical company meeting rooms and NFL players aren't the same as we regular folks. Companies can dictate whatever they please to us and recent college grads and everyone has to follow the rules.

Meanwhile NFL players are more coddled.....except by Kraft and Belichick.....and I fuggn like it!!! :D

BTW...I'd be happier if dumb phones were never invented. I was ok with my flip phone. If I make a trip to a friend's and forget my iphone, I won't go back to get even if I'm less than a mile from home. I don't take my phone when I go grocery shopping. To me, they're just not important.

Last edited:
The reality is that NFL locker rooms are different than typical company meeting rooms and NFL players aren't the same as we regular folks. Companies can dictate whatever they please to us and recent college grads and everyone has to follow the rules.

Meanwhile NFL players are more coddled.....except by Kraft and Belichick.....and I fuggn like it!!! :D
Be careful. Crediting the owner in even the smallest way is dangerous.

When I go to professional seminars now I like that there is time built in between sessions. I try to drive myself to be incredibly attentive to what's being taught or discussed, like it's the most important thing in the world, no because I'm this super go-getter, but because otherwise there's a chance I'll be fighting off sleep. I might have some undiagnosed "disorder," or the "disorder" might be being human. If I'm not engaged, off I (might) go. But much of my work consists on making material strike home and engage audiences (for others) so it's helpful to understand the effects on myself.

You won't like this PFiVA...but you and I are alike in this respect. I struggle passively listening for 8 hours. I'm at my company's national sales meeting this week. I had to fight off the nods yesterday afternoon! One thing that helps me....avoid carbs or minimize them if you can. You may be a bit hypo-glycemic which makes you crash and hour after lunch.

I'm seeing a lot of this in organizations these days, and it isn't just the newest crop of youngsters coming in. The 49er's face the same problem that any business does in this regard: you can insist on longer attention spans and tighter mental boundaries against "outside" things, or you can create release valves so that people don't have to spend energy fighting their impulses. There's no "right" answer. There are a lot of creative solutions being developed and employed.

This does seem pretty odd in a professional football culture.
You are right.

Depending on what study(s) you subscribe to, there are those that believe that for jobs that require the worker to sit in front of a keyboard or focus on a singular task for an extended period of time, overall productivity and quality of work decline.

Not saying what the 49ers are doing is the right thing, but if players can retain the same amount of info, process it and execute at a high-level, so what.

BB is totally into different ways of teaching and learning. I can very much see him trying this approach with players.

The dub dub 2 generation sure was a great time to be alive if you were a white male.

It was a great time to be alive, period. The Boomers started many "movements" and many marched with MLK. It was the beginning of massive changes in our culture. Only a dope would try to blame any generation for something bad...or even good things. We're born into periods and changes beyond our control. We can't blame or credit any generation for slavery, war, social acceptance or peace.

If anyone disagrees, I challenge you to state your case.

No generation thinks or acts collectively. Even with social media!

Last edited:

After WWII that generation had a lot of advantages that the current generation does not. It was unimaginable to buy a house back then and lose money.. it was just the opposite, you could buy a house, sell it 10 years later for a crazy, crazy profit and buy a bigger, better house. Rinse and repeat. It was easier to build your assets and wealth back then, and you could have a single income from an average job and take care of a family of 4 with 2 cars in the garage.

Investment opportunities aren't there either with some government bonds that would yield a 9% return and pay put every 6 months.. those are a thing of the past.

Yes this generation is a bit more entitled, but we have to work just as hard for half as much these days. My last job I was working as a tech. Proj. Manager and the expectation as a salary based employee was to basically have my job be my life..I was working 70-80 hours a week, having to set my alarm at 2am to wake up and run scripts etc, and they didn't even pay me what the market was paying for my position, nor did they pay overtime and only gave 2 weeks of vacation a year for a highly stressful job... and when you tried to take a vacation day, you were met with scorn and disappointment, and encouraged to either not take the time, or bring your work laptop on vacation with you so that you could follow up on emails etx... after all, who doesn't want to continue WORKING on their vacation right? How dare us entitled kids want to enjoy a vacation after a year straight of 70+ hour work weeks!!

I took the job with an understanding that after a year of proving myself they would significantly increase my pay..
Well, a year later I had 33% of the companies accounts, including the top 5 biggest ones that paid the most money, and I was training new project managers and was the team lead.. they were hiring new Proj managers in at $10-$15k more a year than I was being paid because they desperately needed more to handle the growth and because there was so much turnover in the company.. I asked for a raise and was basically laughed at.. so my "entitled" self took a week long vacation, came back and put my 2 week notice in. They were shocked.

I'm making significantly more at my new job now, with a 40 hour work week but I was lucky because a lot of people still deal with what I was dealing with.

The world isn't the same as it was in the 40s. Every generation thinks they're the greatest, although I think my generation is pretty bad but our generation has different challenges than the ones before us, and we have a different set of skills growing up on a technological age.. humans weren't meant to sit infront of a computer screen for 13 hours a day, but this generation deals with that reality every day and people wonder why we're so ADD etc

Add that to the fact that college tuition is crippling people the second they enter the workforce with insane debt, on top of an economy that continues to see record gains and profits for corporations but a fraction of that is actually going to employees. I know lots of people that went to college for 4-6 years and can't find a job in their field and are working retail or as a waitress/waiter, barely staying afloat working their ass off.

I don't think it's entitled to want to work hard like our parents did before us and achieve the American dream of owning a modest house to raise a family in.. that dream is significantly harder to achieve now, even with a decent job

It was a great time to be alive, period. The Boomers started many "movements" and many marched with MLK. It was the beginning of massive changes in our culture. Only a dope would try to blame any generation for something bad...or even good things. We're born into periods and changes beyond our control. We can't blame or credit any generation for slavery, war, social acceptance or peace.

No generation thinks or acts collectively. Even with social media!
i give credit to our veterans past and present. i guess im a dope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back