PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The End of Football

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsWickedPissah

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Mark Cuban was right. Football is doomed. Can you imagine THIS happening during BB's workouts?

http://www.wsj.com/articles/the-nfl-team-that-is-solving-millennials-1434484144?mod=e2fb

49ers turned the typical meeting, which on some teams can go for as long as two hours, into 30-minute blocks, each followed by 10-minute breaks that allow players to do what young people do. That is, as Tomsula puts it, to “go grab your phone, do your multitasking and get your fix” before returning the meeting....

“You’d hate to think someone would want to bring a phone in and text in a meeting…but that’s what you’re facing,” running-backs coach and former 49ers fullback Tom Rathman said

Who is with me predicting SF is one of the bottom 2 teams in their division? I say last place.

I LOVE this comment to the article..

"I wonder if the next innovation to be adopted in order to appeal to Millennials will be to give them all a championship ring on the first day of practice.|

They're trying to be Pete Carrol/Golden State Warriors/New Age where they have a bunch of young players who love their coach. The players have never been apart of something like this before so it's a probably a fresh new take on the game.

It'll work at first and you can even win championships, I don't think it will be sustainable though. There is definitely something to it if the talent is their but as we are seeing with Seattle, the young guys are starting to question Pete Carroll and even announce where they're going to play the next year.

The article states that Pete Carroll's SeaHags eschews this approach

There is a company I know of (a sister company) that has a 15 minute "facebook time" break built into the work day, ridiculous. It's possible that social media and the 24/7 news cycle might be the end of us. Idiocracy the movie is on it's way to reality. I remember the book 1984, this is kinda sorta happening with the exception that we are actually paying for devices and services that track literally everything we do.

When I woke up this morning I was like "Hey, I hope I can read a bunch of old bastards complaining about kids these days and their phones."

It was starting to look grim but then this thread!

JESTers give em the ring sometime after free Agency opens and before Day 1 of the draft

Mark Cuban was right. Football is doomed. Can you imagine THIS happening during BB's workouts?

http://www.wsj.com/articles/the-nfl-team-that-is-solving-millennials-1434484144?mod=e2fb

49ers turned the typical meeting, which on some teams can go for as long as two hours, into 30-minute blocks, each followed by 10-minute breaks that allow players to do what young people do. That is, as Tomsula puts it, to “go grab your phone, do your multitasking and get your fix” before returning the meeting....

“You’d hate to think someone would want to bring a phone in and text in a meeting…but that’s what you’re facing,” running-backs coach and former 49ers fullback Tom Rathman said

Who is with me predicting SF is one of the bottom 2 teams in their division? I say last place.

Anyone who subscribes to this theory, needs about 40 minutes in a firefight over in Iraq or Afghanistan. Then, after 30, put up a flag saying I need a break to check my phone. See how far you get. What a joke. We are done as a society. Finished.

Anyone who subscribes to this theory, needs about 40 minutes in a firefight over in Iraq or Afghanistan. Then, after 30, put up a flag saying I need a break to check my phone. See how far you get. What a joke. We are done as a society. Finished.

I agree what the Niners are doing is idiotic, but your post makes me want to ask whether you are Kellen Winslow Jr? :eek:

Last edited:
When I woke up this morning I was like "Hey, I hope I can read a bunch of old bastards complaining about kids these days and their phones."

It was starting to look grim but then this thread!
Pretty sure that people are complaining about adults who apparently can't sit through work meetings for more than a half-hour at a time, and about a coach who doesn't expect his players to be professionals.

Pretty sure that people are complaining about adults who apparently can't sit through work meetings for more than a half-hour at a time, and about a coach who doesn't expect his players to be professionals.

I hope you posted this on an appropriate work break!

Well based on this 30 minute attention span and the coaching staffs reinforcement of it, they should have some real good first quarters but than fall apart for an inability to remain attentive. Should make for some real blow out losses.

Last edited:
I'm not so quick to discard this approach as most of you. Although the emphasis on texting/multitasking is a bit weird, most people have difficulty remaining focused for even moderate periods of time, and that interval is decreasing in each of the last couple of generations. It may not be that the players aren't professional enough to sit still for two hours, rather that they are more focused and retain more with shorter sessions and frequent breaks. I sincerely doubt such a radical change in approach was done without taking a serious look at existing research and data.

I'm not saying I agree with the method, just that I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it. The method should be judged by it's effectiveness, not by our our preconceptions.

Last edited:

We are certainly done as a society if our chosen mental model for effective and satisfying organization is based on hyper-violent activity that is the last possible choice for civilized human behavior.

I agree what the Niners are doing is idiotic, but your post makes me want to ask whether you are Kellen Winslow Jr? :eek:

Haha no just pointing out if people in life or death situations can't take breaks every 30 minutes, maybe they shouldn't either. It's not that breaks per se, more the mentality that drives it.

I'm seeing a lot of this in organizations these days, and it isn't just the newest crop of youngsters coming in. The 49er's face the same problem that any business does in this regard: you can insist on longer attention spans and tighter mental boundaries against "outside" things, or you can create release valves so that people don't have to spend energy fighting their impulses. There's no "right" answer. There are a lot of creative solutions being developed and employed.

This does seem pretty odd in a professional football culture.

I'm not so quick to discard this approach as most of you. Although the emphasis on texting/multitasking is a bit weird, most people have difficulty remaining focused for even moderate periods of time, and that interval is decreasing in each of the last couple of generations. It may not be that the players aren't professional enough to sit still for two hours, rather that they are more focused and retain more with shorter sessions and frequent breaks. I sincerely doubt such a radical change in approach was done without taking a serious look at existing research and data.

I'm not saying I agree with the method, just that I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it. The method should be judged by it's effectiveness, not by our our preconceptions.

Or maybe they can deposit their phones in a box before meetings and focus on their job. Too much coddling. What's next? Work 5 take 5? If anything it points to a problem with how kids are being raised today. Anyone under the age of 13 should not have a phone that does anything got other than a)call parents b) cops or C) a specific non relative. Or something along those lines.

Point is, if all you can focus on is 30 minutes then its a problem. In the end, for the majority of people who work for a living that don't get 10 min breaks every 30 and for far less pay, this is ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back