PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Colts and Mahoney.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keegs

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I was given the impression that Mahoney was the main guy they wanted in the draft. From what i've heard and read, it seems as if the colts had their heart set on him....

couldn't they have traded up before us in the draft??

did they honestly think the pats would not take him??

are they just stupid??

I am thrilled that they did not get this guy.

Last edited:
MaRoney.

And yes, if the reports are accurate, they did indeed want to draft him in the worst of ways.

ImgDyn.cfm

Do you see any 'H' on that jersey?

Does Maroney look Irish to you?

Mahoney? Good Grief, man, what have you been adding to your kool-aid all these months???:D

pats1 said:
Does Maroney look Irish to you?

No, but nor does Willie McGinest, Deuce McAllister, or Donovan McNabb.

And Maroney's an Irish name too.

I think this is a running gag on Keegs's part that isn't particularly funny.

Keegs has said from day one that he preferred to call him Mahoney, deal with it. It's not the worst thing he could be calling him, he could be calling him an Indianapolis Colt !

We don't have all of the inside story. Who knows, maybe the Colts did try to trade up to get Maroney, we will never know. Most likely the Colts thought the Pats were going LB or WR, but with all the top LB's gone, the Pats took the best player available.

I think Maloney was very high on the Colts board. Maybe they were hoping we'd take a lineman again...

Keegs said:
I was given the impression that Mahoney was the main guy they wanted in the draft. From what i've heard and read, it seems as if the colts had their heart set on him....

MahoneyDDD.jpg

Looks a little old to be running between the tackles.........

scott99 said:
Keegs has said from day one that he preferred to call him Mahoney, deal with it. It's not the worst thing he could be calling him, he could be calling him an Indianapolis Colt !

We don't have all of the inside story. Who knows, maybe the Colts did try to trade up to get Maroney, we will never know. Most likely the Colts thought the Pats were going LB or WR, but with all the top LB's gone, the Pats took the best player available.
thank you, these are more of the responses i was looking for........ I wasn't throwing out that name for spelling replies, i just prefer to call him that like you said...

Yeah i just don't get why the colts didn't trade up, or even offer too much to trade up if they wanted him so bad. He would be absolutely deadly on that team (from what we've seen so far). I am thrilled that he isn't with them and we have him. I figured they'd find some team willing to move down to the colts' slot (30th??) if the colts offered enough...

I have always noticed the Colts are not overly adventerous when it comes to trading up/down, as the Pats do. I think they felt Maroney would fall to them, as there were hints out of Foxborough that it was a very good defensive class...and then BB/SP went all offense!

Great deception once again by the Patriot brain trust....:)

There might be some of the blarney in Mr.Maroney,Keegs,don't be judgin' a book by its cover,I thinks he has a shilaliegh with'em ' to tune up a couple of opposing LB's...........t' aint a bad thing....

I also think the Colts will be looking at this guy running through their backfield for many years and cursing this pick....... Polian anyway.....I love it!!!!

Keegs said:
thank you, these are more of the responses i was looking for........ I wasn't throwing out that name for spelling replies, i just prefer to call him that like you said...

Yeah i just don't get why the colts didn't trade up, or even offer too much to trade up if they wanted him so bad. He would be absolutely deadly on that team (from what we've seen so far). I am thrilled that he isn't with them and we have him. I figured they'd find some team willing to move down to the colts' slot (30th??) if the colts offered enough...

Who's to say they didn't try to trade up? Every year after the draft we always hear reports about teams that tried to trade up for a certain player.

It could be they couldn't find a team willing to trade down for fair compensation. No matter how good a player can be on your team, you don't want to get screwed over in a trade.

And while I don't want to call it a conspiracy theory or anything but if you were an AFC team and the Colts were calling you to trade up and Maroney was sitting there, how pumped would you be to make the deal? In that case, they would probably ask for more.

I believe the Colts were thinking we would go with a linebacker like Manny Lawson since Carpenter was gone but thats what I like about the draft the different smoke screens some teams put up and all of a sudden go in a different direction.

Why's everyone hatin' on my boy Mahoney?

Last edited by a moderator:
huskeralk said:
Why's everyone hatin' on my boy Mahoney?
Hatin'? I thought we all loved Mahoney here. The dude is the epitome of tightness. Duh.

(Edit: Sorry for the "Duh." Adult Swim has started showing reruns of PeeWee's Playhouse... I've been recording them on the DVR and got my 5 year old hooked on 'em. My wife hates me.)

Last edited:
We have the all-Celtic (named) backfield:

Dillon: Irish
Faulk: Welsh
Maroney: Irish
Evans: Welsh

R

Last edited:
Keegs said:

couldn't they have traded up before us in the draft??

did they honestly think the pats would not take him??

are they just stupid??

I think Polian is hoping that the NFL will create a new rule, or somehow fabricate a tampering scheme, and take Maroney away from the Pats and award him to the Dolts.

I am not sure who the Colts wanted. Polian said after the draft that Addai was the guy they wanted, but what else could he say. It looks like the Pats got a guy that could carry them for a long time. It looks like we got a guy that is going to take some time become a starter and may not ever make it that far. It is only two games into the preseason though. Do you guys think the Pats took Maroney just to keep him from the Colts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes