PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Colts and Mahoney.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keegs said:
thank you, these are more of the responses i was looking for........ I wasn't throwing out that name for spelling replies, i just prefer to call him that like you said...

You "prefer" to call him something other than what his name is? It's not a sign of respect, or an insult. You've just decided to give him a different name for no reason at all.

I'm sorry but that is stupid. It's disrespectful and childish to just intentionally misspell his name.

Mr.Kilowatt said:
I am not sure who the Colts wanted. Polian said after the draft that Addai was the guy they wanted, but what else could he say. It looks like the Pats got a guy that could carry them for a long time. It looks like we got a guy that is going to take some time become a starter and may not ever make it that far. It is only two games into the preseason though. Do you guys think the Pats took Maroney just to keep him from the Colts?

Common dude how can you ask that question .... lol .
corry was down last year and we did not have any running attack while james blew through many offences and colts had a awesome running game.so let me ask you which team`s last year performace indicated a more glaring hole in the offence.Second we have enough OL and the draft was heavyly on the defence side so the by the pats time came all the top defence guys were out.

so consider that before you ask such question , also you assume that no one would have picked him up even if the pats let him before 30 ....addai is just not smart he can be trained to run a few plays but his on the spot decision and yards after contact are not good.Very rarely you get more than 2 top flight RB in a draft year so you cannot expect all be number 1.Their is a big distance between serviceable and top flight group.
Also, the colts should have got their guy last year and had james ease him in and develop then now.

Last edited:
Amnorix said:
You "prefer" to call him something other than what his name is? It's not a sign of respect, or an insult. You've just decided to give him a different name for no reason at all.

I'm sorry but that is stupid. It's disrespectful and childish to just intentionally misspell his name.

Several people (and even several in this thread) have NO idea how to spell the players names. You routinely see Kaycur and Maloney and Mahoney and Corry and McGuinist and the list goes on and on. No one gets Brady's name wrong though, wonder why that is?

If Maroney is too hard to remember, people, then just type LOMO and be done with it.

If Corey Dillon is too difficult, just say CD.

If Nick Kaczur is too hard to remember just say.. well hell, I guess there's nothing else TO say but Kaczur.

I'm not sure why it bothers me so much, but it does. It's like introducing your friend John at a party only after that everyone calls him Jeff. It's annoying!

Brownfan80 said:
Several people (and even several in this thread) have NO idea how to spell the players names. You routinely see Kaycur and Maloney and Mahoney and Corry and McGuinist and the list goes on and on. No one gets Brady's name wrong though, wonder why that is?

There's alot of names of guys on this team, and they change every year, and some people are just poor spellers. That's fine. If someone just can't remember that it's McGinest and instead types it McGinnest or whatever, then I can live with that. Kaczur and other names that are tough are easy to understand too.

Brady is easy, and he's the star. I doubt Troy Brown gets misspelled much, or Rodney Harrison either.

My point is that it seemed like Keegs was saying "Yeah, I know how it's spelled, but I"m going to spell it this other way because it amuses me to do so." That to me is disrespectful.

If I'm wrong about that, and it's just an honest misspelling, then I can live with that.

I know brilliant people who can barely spell the word "spell". It's just something that not everyone finds easy to do.

Brownfan80 said:

I'm not sure why it bothers me so much, but it does. It's like introducing your friend John at a party only after that everyone calls him Jeff. It's annoying!

I always figured it was due to the fact that it is pretty easy to spell Brady. Then again Dillon should be easy to spell yet for some reason I have the urge to end it in -ion. But who can really blame anyone for getting Mruczkowski wrong. I have to go to the Pats website to check that one. (Let alone pronounce it.)

What I do not get is spelling it wrong when you know the right spelling. What really is the point on that one? Is it really that amusing to watch people going ape$hit over it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Did it ever occur to you guys that some of us call him Mahoney just to take good natured jabs at some of the people that constantly misspell every name on the roster? Christ, sometimes I think some of you are just looking for some reason to be annoyed 24 hours a day.

huskeralk said:
Did it ever occur to you guys that some of us call him Mahoney just to take good natured jabs at some of the people that constantly misspell every name on the roster? Christ, sometimes I think some of you are just looking for some reason to be annoyed 24 hours a day.
thank you, for what you said, and for keeping up the picture of a certain officer from Police Academy.

Unbelievable......... I even wrote a post in here explaining that the point isn't the name spelling... the point is i find it very strange that the colts didn't give whatever was needed to move up to take Mahoney, since it looks like he would complete their team.

but saying he would complete their team is a sign of disrespect too right?

14thDragon said:
I always figured it was due to the fact that it is pretty easy to spell Brady. Then again Dillon should be easy to spell yet for some reason I have the urge to end it in -ion. But who can really blame anyone for getting Mruczkowski wrong. I have to go to the Pats website to check that one. (Let alone pronounce it.)

What I do not get is spelling it wrong when you know the right spelling. What really is the point on that one? Is it really that amusing to watch people going ape$hit over it?

I just call him Mruc and save myself the trouble ! :D

Keegs said:
Yeah i just don't get why the colts didn't trade up, or even offer too much to trade up if they wanted him so bad. He would be absolutely deadly on that team (from what we've seen so far). I am thrilled that he isn't with them and we have him. I figured they'd find some team willing to move down to the colts' slot (30th??) if the colts offered enough...

I'll go off the spelling bee and move onto what might be an actual debate.

Let's say the Colts wanted to get up ahead of us because they were thinking we would take Maroney. Then who would be there possible trade partners, someone between 16-20, since higher then that would cost too much to just leap frog us.

16 - Miami, short of a second round pick, it is possible that Indy could have made a move to get into that slot, but dropping down to 30 would have lost Miami the abilty to make a move for a top defensive player that they would need. But a possible trade.

17 - Minn, possible deal here, except Greenway fit thier system and he was there for the taking, with the other LB coming off the board, they surely would have been sucking wind at 30 to get one. (Though it ultimately worked out badly this year, they would not have been interested in dropping.)

18 - Dallas, no way they were dropping behind us, we would have snatched Carpenter away without blinking

19 - San Deigo, they were looking corner back, and with KC looking in the same direction, dropping back would have put them in a definite disadvantage.

20 - KC, also looking defense, they are not going to want to fall below Buffalo or Cinc, who would be looking in the same direction.

So in all of those situations Indy would have had to package proably thier third along with a second to make that deal worth someones while to make that big of a drop. Given that they needed those picks to keep restocking thier D, I doubt they would want to part with them.

14thDragon said:

Well, exactly how do you pronounce it??? (Seriously...)

Patriotic Fervor said:
Well, exactly how do you pronounce it??? (Seriously...)

I assume the z is silent. But I could be wrong.

To actually respond to the topic of the post:

I had no idea it would be Maroney. I was convinced it would be Chad Jackson or Manny Lawson, with DeAngelo Williams as a dark horse pick. Honestly. And I really don't think that the Colts knew it would be Maroney either. And, as 14thDragon said, no one would want to trade down in this situation.

Re: The Colts and MaRoney.

Good thing we don´t have TJ Whosyourmama on our team.
Championship.

Anyway I would have liked to see us draft a LB. But after I´ve seen Maroney play I think that he is going to be a great asset to this team. From what I´ve heard it sounds like the Colt were going to draft him and that just makes it even sweeter. I don´t think the Pats drafted him to take him away from the Colts though they simply went after the best player available at the time and the one most suitable for our team.

14thDragon said:
I assume the z is silent. But I could be wrong.

Like in most Polish names, I assume sz makes a sh sound. Mroosh-cow-ski.

Last edited:
huskeralk said:
Christ, sometimes I think some of you are just looking for some reason to be annoyed 24 hours a day.

And you constantly supply that reason so I guess they should thank you.

14thDragon said:
Yeah, but it is a cz, not an sz. Which is a hard ch sound.

So it would be Mroo-ch-kow-ski.

http://experts.about.com/q/Other-Languages-656/pronunciation-polish-names.htm

Oops, you're right. I was in a hurry to make a reply and didn't take time to think. Haha. But yeah, a cz makes a ch (and ch makes a hard h... strange, huh?). Polish names are almost as complicated as Gaelic-language names (Welsh, especially, though Irish names are no picnic either).

Last edited:
I was really hoping we'd take a LB in RD 1 this year as well, but I have come to recognize Maloney as a major coup .... not only for what he should bring to our team for many years, but the fact that he was a virtual lock to be picked by the either the Colts or the Jets. Very sound decision - we get stronger and two teams which I passionately hate get weaker.

PATSNUTme said:
And you constantly supply that reason so I guess they should thank you.
hahahahahaha

relax fellas!!!!!!.

Just having some fun here.

that is funny tho.

I think there are a few factors landed Maroney in the Pats camp instead of the Colts. And they all make sense.

1. The Pats were talking defense, defense. A lot of pundits were convinced they'd draft a LB or DE. Looks like BB pulled one over the Colts.

2. I don't think anyone wanted to help the Colts become BETTER, especially after they created a big hole by letting Edge go. Remember how hard it was for the Pats to deal last year even though they were almost doubled up on picks? Same kind of situation I think. A team is gonna be reluctant to help the good become better unless the trade offer really makes sense to them.

3. I don't think the Colts could afford to move up. If they had packaged a 1st and 2nd or a 1st and 3rd they wouldn't have had the picks to rebuild their defense. And they lost several key defensive players this season in addition to Edge because they had to pay Wayne. (Humm echoes of Branch situation?)

Just look at how they drafted.
1 30 Addai, Joseph RB 5-11 215 Louisiana State
2 62 Jennings, Tim CB 5-8 186 Georgia
3 94 Keiaho, Freddie ILB 5-11 227 San Diego State
5 162 Toudouze, Michael G 6-6 302 Texas Christian
6 199 Johnson, Charlie OT 6-4 304 Oklahoma State
6 207 Bethea, Antoine FS 5-11 203 Howard
7 238 Rushing, T.J. CB 5-10 175 Stanford

The rest of their Day 1 picks are defensive players and I don't see a 4th rounder there although it may have been used to move up somewhere. So IMO teams were asking the Colts for a 1st and 2nd to jump over the Pats or a 1st and 3rd for a smaller move up and they just couldn't/wouldn't pay the price. Not to mention with the other factors I think they were hoping Maroney would drop to them anyways.

Addai was a decent backup plan but he is a reach imo. He's more of an early to middle 2nd round talent. But once Maroney was gone the Colts HAD to jump on Addai.

Well those are the breaks. Besides Maroney looks WAY TIGHTER in Patriots laundry. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes