PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Ascension of James White!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vereen was never a running threat and he was a useful cog in our playoff run last year.

White seems to be every bit much the receiver that vereen was. Interested to see what he does against the jets. I expect him against linebackers to be a large part of the gameplan

The injury that put him on IR wasn't from a hit though. Was there any time during this season where he was laid out because of his running style? I can't think of anyone right now.

I would say that his running style makes it harder to hit him fast, and forces defenders to break down before the tackle, or they will miss him. Which leads to fewer really hard hits. I would say that it's his physique and body type that leads to injuries. His fast cutting can probably lead to injuries comming from the legs/feet being in awkward positions.

Except that he got crushed plenty of times before getting hurt

Here's some stats on the league's top receiving RBs:

Player Season Finder Query Results | Pro-Football-Reference.com

^ You can sort it by several categories in the link above ^

James White finished top 10 in yards, T-2nd in receiving TDs with 4, top 10 in yards per reception, and more

Lewis is still at the top in some stats too. He was on a ridiculous pace.

There's also 5 Pats related players (current & former) in the top 20 for most categories (Lewis, White, Bolden, Vereen, Woodhead)

Last edited:
James White was one of the few bright spots in the second half of the season. He has pretty much been Brady's #2 target for a chunk of the year...made a number of good plays. Wouldn't have thunk it at the beginning of the season. If Dion Lewis hadn't existed on our roster this kid would probably have upwards of 60-70 receptions this season.

Dude has been close worthless in the running game, perhaps significantly due to the offensive line? Maybe. But regardless he has proved valuable in the passing game. And I'm happy with him for that.

James White was one of the few bright spots in the second half of the season. He has pretty much been Brady's #2 target for a chunk of the year...made a number of good plays. Wouldn't have thunk it at the beginning of the season. If Dion Lewis hadn't existed on our roster this kid would probably have upwards of 60-70 receptions this season.

Dude has been close worthless in the running game, perhaps significantly due to the offensive line? Maybe. But regardless he has proved valuable in the passing game. And I'm happy with him for that.

Yeah he may as well just be a WR at this point. He takes the occasional hand off but it's basically a wasted play. He's only had 22 attempts this year but averages 2.2 yards.

I never thought Vereen was all that special running the ball, but he actually averaged ~4 yards per carry every year here which is just fine for a 3DRB.

I want to see White have one of those 8+ reception type of games soon, and I believe that the postseason is the perfect place to take advantage of LB mismatches with teams such as CIN/DEN/PIT/KC remaining.

Vereen is a better runner than James White.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST