PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Ascension of James White!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good points on Lewis who is definitely in fragile territory as you mentioned James White has emerged in an injured Offense minus Edelman coupled with a hobbled Gronk and Amendola. That says more about White's ability with the likes of LaFell and Martin struggling. With a healthy Gronk - Edelman - Amendola and now White this Offense is going to cause Defenses some problems going foward. Real happy James White proved me wrong, with White and Lewis locked up we are set at the Third Down RB position for the next two years.
Good points on Lewis who is definitely in fragile territory as you mentioned James White has emerged in an injured Offense minus Edelman coupled with a hobbled Gronk and Amendola. That says more about White's ability with the likes of LaFell and Martin struggling. With a healthy Gronk - Edelman - Amendola and now White this Offense is going to cause Defenses some problems going foward. Real happy James White proved me wrong, with White and Lewis locked up we are set at the Third Down RB position for the next two years.

I'm not very interested in having chronically injured guys taking lead roles on offense.......I'll take consistency even if it is at a slightly lower level

with the way white is stepping up, I would bet the pats will not be paying lewis 2.5M in 2017

I'm not very interested in having chronically injured guys taking lead roles on offense.......I'll take consistency even if it is at a slightly lower level

with the way white is stepping up, I would bet the pats will not be paying lewis 2.5M in 2017

IC 2.5 Mill is peanuts for Lewis's abilities like his value as a runner Lewis gave us a discount on that extension he's here until it expires. Knowing how valuable the position is in our Offense we always need two capable guys on our roster.

Not sure he can be described as a "Running Back" currently.

Couldn't agree more.

I think"Running Back" & "Wide Receiver" are kind of silly terms. o_O

These guys are FootBall Players.

HalfBacks are often Hybrids ~ or hardly "Running" Backs at all, as you point out.

And many Split Ends, Flankers, and SlotBacks get involved in Blocking, as for instance on White's awesome early TouchDown against the Titans, when LaFell and Amendola Rock & Rolla drove their Defenders DownField and paved the way for the last 10 Yards!! :D

White is not as fast a Lewis but is stronger and has pretty good wiggle, hands are reliable and has been effective near the goal line. The Patriots have also developed effective game plans to match their various RBs.

Unless Jackson really shines I hope he doesn't take snaps away from White.
No comparison of Lewis and White should be made without citing the huge difference in explosion. White seems to run smooth and use blockers well, but Lewis is a far more explosive player.

I agree. Time to get rid of Edelman, Gronk and Amendola and replace them with guys who can actually produce.

and that lasted all of 7 games

you could argue that Lewis had the benefit of a more complete offense.......james white has been dealing with half of a deck

it really doesn't matter what you are if you can't finish the season

That's a great point.

I agree. Time to get rid of Edelman, Gronk and Amendola and replace them with guys who can actually produce.

You comparing Lewis to any of them?

That makes zero sense

You comparing Lewis to any of them?

I wasn't talking about Lewis, I was reveling in the glory of this comment:

I'm not very interested in having chronically injured guys taking lead roles on offense.

Name a guy with a lead role on offense not named Brady who doesn't fit that category.

You said a dumb thing, it's ok, it happens. Don't do that thing where you decide to dig in your heels like what you said actually makes sense or that the internet matters.

I wasn't talking about Lewis, I was reveling in the glory of this comment:

Name a guy with a lead role on offense not named Brady who doesn't fit that category.

You said a dumb thing, it's ok, it happens. Don't do that thing where you decide to dig in your heels like what you said actually makes sense or that the internet matters.

It makes sense..... You're just too much of an idiot to see it

Lewis has been in the league 5 years.....give me one complete productive one.....all those guys you mention have had at least a couple complete productive ones? See the difference or are you going to insist on being a moron?

Lewis has been in the league 5 years.....give me one complete productive one.....all those guys you mention have had at least a couple complete productive ones? See the difference or are you going to insist on being a moron?

Why do you keep on bringing up Lewis? You said

I'm not very interested in having chronically injured guys taking lead roles on offense.

Is there even 3 healthy seasons between Edelman, Gronk and Amendola? I don't think so. That's why your statement is dumb. But you're gonna keep escalating this and furiously pounding out insults cause message board pride, I guess.

Why do you keep on bringing up Lewis? You said

Is there even 3 healthy seasons between Edelman, Gronk and Amendola? I don't think so. That's why your statement is dumb. But you're gonna keep escalating this and furiously pounding out insults cause message board pride, I guess.

You took it out of context......how about you put in the entire post and restate your stupidity?

This has nothing to do with pride.....just you acting like some snarky moron

Btw, Edelman, amendola, and gronk have nothing to do with my reference.....start making sense

8 full seasons between the 3

Last edited:
You took it out of context......how about you put in the entire post and restate your stupidity?

What's to take out of context? You're saying that being 'injury prone' means a person shouldn't be an integral part of the offense. But now you're backtracking because it's obvious that our best Non-Bradys on offense fit that moniker to a Tee.

Or by out of context do you mean that you hold Lewis to a different standard because reasons?

8 full seasons between the 3

lmao. I was being hyperbolic and you post this like it proves your point.

No comparison of Lewis and White should be made without citing the huge difference in explosion. White seems to run smooth and use blockers well, but Lewis is a far more explosive player.

No doubt. Lewis would change to running left on a dime while defenders would continue to lunge completely right. He made tacklers look silly sometimes. While White has shown instances of making people solidly miss, he doesn't have that wicked fake move ability where they often don't come close to even laying a proverbial glove on him.
But we don't know what White can offer yet. His sample is too small and his comfort level alone can't be even close to have been reached given his precious few meaningful snaps prior to 3 games ago. It is reasonable to believe a higher level of comfort he will hit with the experience of the next two games and result in added play calling that includes White (opponent dynamics not withstanding).
We really needed White 5 weeks ago to step up very quickly into the vital role of pass catching back, a la Vereen. Even with his conspicuously lesser experience, his last 3 weeks he is trending very nicely.
I have a strong hunch chances are good we'll see him be very productive in the POs (as all targets are back and on the field in the POs). Teams are forced to pay special attention to these returning potent targets which should lead to the kind of cover man assigned to White that White should be able best repeatedly in the open field.

To the other poster commenting he/she hopes Jackson doesn't take White's reps. First, these two guys do have some differing skill sets and potential playcalling needs to fill. But Jackson through most of his career has shown the ability to be productive in the passing game too (take away his move to Atlanta and his numbers were largely consistent and decent throughout his career). If Jackson can give us decent yards on the ground, decent catching ability and YAC, and can pick up a blitz or two satisfactorily, as much as I like White I have zero problem with SJ getting a bigger share of grouping assignments in the play calling. The guy is a vet with tons of experience that, if he can actually be productive (which is a very distinct ???), will be a real positive to have on the field in the POs. And if the BB magic happens again and SJ becomes an almost instant local hero in the POs? White's diminished snaps will just have to be something White and his fans will have to try harder to make not happen next season.

My issue with this is that White still hasn't shown any signs of being a useful runner of the ball whereas Lewis has in spades. I don't want White replacing Lewis until he shows capabilities in that aspect of his game. Injuries aside, and I get the concern there, Lewis is still a significantly better overall weapon. And White is Excellent depth.

My issue with this is that White still hasn't shown any signs of being a useful runner of the ball whereas Lewis has in spades. I don't want White replacing Lewis until he shows capabilities in that aspect of his game. Injuries aside, and I get the concern there, Lewis is still a significantly better overall weapon. And White is Excellent depth.

Not questioning the talent.....never did

But he's is fragile and his running makes him prone to getting hit harder than any other RB

I just don't think he will ever last the season.......would like it if he did, but I don't see it

If white is not the answer, the they'll find someone else......plenty of people bemoaned woodheads departure but Vereen did ok.....either white will do ok (he is improving each week) or they will find someone else.

Last edited:
What's to take out of context? You're saying that being 'injury prone' means a person shouldn't be an integral part of the offense. But now you're backtracking because it's obvious that our best Non-Bradys on offense fit that moniker to a Tee.

Or by out of context do you mean that you hold Lewis to a different standard because reasons?

lmao. I was being hyperbolic and you post this like it proves your point.

It disproves your point........not backtracking anything, but your inability to pen the entire quote does make my point

Move along ....... If we're lucky, Lewis might even be able to practice at some time next year

Carry on with your hyperbole

Last edited:
At first I thought White nothing more than a young JAG (with some potential). But... these last few games (after months/years on PS), I've seen a RB with such game +/- per play improvement I found it difficult to articulate... until a poster mentioned it... improved running patience, i.e., trusting and waiting for blocks to develop. A rare thing these days. It had to be coached. The more I think and watch it, the more it seems 100% on point. We always hear how the NE OL drives blockers to the 2nd level and the WR's pride themselves in blocking the Db's as well. Yet, AFAIK, White is the first RB I've seen who's trusted his 2nd+ level blockers, waited for lanes to develop, and timed his burst to exploit these holes and lanes with authority. Otherwise, just hit the hole.

Anyone else seeing this?

Last edited:
White is as good of a running back as you could ever hope for....I mean, we all expected him to just be a back up player, right? But look how well he's playing now! He has potential to be a starting-quality RB. By no means is he the same running threat as Lewis, but he might actually be a better receiver than him, imo

Like I've before, if Lewis isn't 100% by the time he returns next season, my bet is that White becomes the starter for the team. .....But I'm rooting for Lewis of course! :D

Not questioning the talent.....never did

But he's is fragile and his running makes him prone to getting hit harder than any other RB

I just don't think he will ever last the season.......would like it if he did, but I don't see it

If white is not the answer, the they'll find someone else......plenty of people bemoaned woodheads departure but Vereen did ok.....either white will do ok (he is improving each week) or they will find someone else.
The injury that put him on IR wasn't from a hit though. Was there any time during this season where he was laid out because of his running style? I can't think of anyone right now.

I would say that his running style makes it harder to hit him fast, and forces defenders to break down before the tackle, or they will miss him. Which leads to fewer really hard hits. I would say that it's his physique and body type that leads to injuries. His fast cutting can probably lead to injuries comming from the legs/feet being in awkward positions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST