PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The art of Zen and why losing late first won't hurt NE. Suck it Goodell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The rookie salary cap basically prevents that.

I didn't know that, I thought you could trade any player before the NFL trade deadline as long as they didn't have a no trade clause in their contract. I know Trent Richardson was a first round pick and was traded in his 2nd year but I didn't know they couldn't trade him the first year he was drafted even if they wanted to. I guess want made me think of it was the Rivers and Manning trade but that was before the new CBA.

Last edited:
An unintended consequence is that when the Pats pick at at #64 in 2017, no need to stay up late on that Thursday night or get up early to check the draft on Friday...

Will this be the demise of the Pats Fans Draft Prognosticators???

An unintended consequence is that when the Pats pick at at #64 in 2017, no need to stay up late on that Thursday night or get up early to check the draft on Friday...

Will this be the demise of the Pats Fans Draft Prognosticators???
One can only hope...

I agree that it is a big deal, but you're talking about the last 4 first rounds, we lost 1 first round pick, not 4.
Granted, I wouldn't want to lose any one of those guys, but I don't think its the difference between going 13-3 and 9-7. To the OPs general point, there are other ways to aquire talent.

Oh, and SUCK IT GOODELL!
We have had 2 first round picks revoked in the past 8 years. Brady was 29 years old the first time Kraft willingly let Goodell nut in his mouth now with Brady at 37 this draft choice is even more significant. Kraft is not going to have Brady here to mask the loss of another likely frontline starter.

I have a feeling Malcom Brown is going to make this thread look premature and silly.

Nothing can convince me the loss of a first round pick is ok.

In terms of talent and potential the Patriots have drafted back to back top 15 talents in the past 2 years with Easley and Brown. I'm with you 100% having the possibility of that in 2016 being taken from us is not OK.

I liked the suggestion someone made of trading for the 1st pick in the second round.

I liked the suggestion someone made of trading for the 1st pick in the second round.

That is a great idea. Goody would have to scramble to come up with a new rule. It might make his head explode.

I haven't tried it yet, but I think it would be revealing to ask fans of other teams what the reason is that the Pats were docked a 1st round pick for Deflategate.

To lose a 1st round pick is IMO the strongest penalty the NFL* can impose on a team. It is analogous to giving someone the death penalty, and a penalty that severe should be only given for extreme violations.

Asking opposing fans why the Pats were docked their 1st round pick should bring some interesting responses, and reveal how ludicrous the NFL*'s arbitrary punishments are.

For the record, I believe the penalty was for non-cooperation by Brady and the Pats during the Deflategate investigation.

I haven't tried it yet, but I think it would be revealing to ask fans of other teams what the reason is that the Pats were docked a 1st round pick for Deflategate.

To lose a 1st round pick is IMO the strongest penalty the NFL* can impose on a team. It is analogous to giving someone the death penalty, and a penalty that severe should be only given for extreme violations.

Asking opposing fans why the Pats were docked their 1st round pick should bring some interesting responses, and reveal how ludicrous the NFL*'s arbitrary punishments are.

For the record, I believe the penalty was for non-cooperation by Brady and the Pats during the Deflategate investigation.

I can tell you the answer, they will say the Patriots are habitually cheaters, that's why the Patriots were docked their first round pick.

The real reason is Goodell was a former Jets employee and has the normal hate and bias for all things Patriots. It's no accident that the Jets get a slap on the wrist for any of their infractions but the Patriots get hit with some of the heaviest penalties in NFL history for infractions on a scale of jaywalking. Heck the Patriots don't even have to commit an infraction, all it takes is Goodell to think you commited one.

What is the price for a pick between the 32 and 50? i guess a team can accept a 3rd and 4th, if pats have a compensatory pick in the 3rd round for revis you always can get a deal, if the rookies of 2015 are good like im expecting there is no room for 6th and 7th round trades haha.

Or even in the top 10 picks of the second round, considering that we'll have 2 thirds.

Having two seconds and a third wouldn't be too bad. I'm sure BB will attempt to pull something out of his hat to offset it.

Easley as a first round pick wasn't a huge part of the Patriots reaching and winning the superbowl. So losing a first round pick next year doesn't necessarily mean the Patriots won't be competitive enough to win the SB again. We lost the 1st round pick in 2008 but through Belichick's machinations we still ended up with Mayo. Knowing Belichick he will do something like trade future draft picks and/or player(s) for a player drafted in the first round in 2016. Goodell said that Patriots would lose a first round pick but he never stipulated that Patriots couldn't acquire the first round pick that another team drafted.

I believe, at least read in an article early on, that we lose the first round pick in 2016 and if we trade or acquire an additional first round pick that the NFL* will take the higher of the two picks.
So there is no way BB trades for an additional pick even if it is offered. If on the off chance BB has a first rounder offered for the 2016 draft and desires to make the deal he will take additional draft picks lower in the draft to make up the comparable value.

I believe, at least read in an article early on, that we lose the first round pick in 2016 and if we trade or acquire an additional first round pick that the NFL* will take the higher of the two picks.
So there is no way BB trades for an additional pick even if it is offered. If on the off chance BB has a first rounder offered for the 2016 draft and desires to make the deal he will take additional draft picks lower in the draft to make up the comparable value.

The suggestion wasn't that BB trade for a draft pick, but that he trade for a player that another team drafted in the first. Of course, knowing the league they'd probably refuse to approve the trade because it's the Patriots.

Is there a way to convert production on the field to a dollar value (maybe for each position), and then take the ratio of production gain versus actual salary in first four years, and plot this as a function of draft pick ranking? If this has not been done, it would be interesting to see.

I know I saw the art of Zen in the title but didn't see much Zen in the content. Too bad, it's a fascinating subject.

One of my favorite stories is about how Zen masters teach people to break bad habits. They use an old technique that they refer to as pebbles in a bowl. Whenever a person gets weak and succumbs to a habit or makes a certain mistake, they place a pebble in a bowl each time. Over the course of time, the visual of that many pebbles in the bowl will cause the person to stop whatever screw up it is that's making that bowl so full.

Fraudger Goodell tried to use that technique but nobody could find a bowl that was big enough.

I can tell you the answer, they will say the Patriots are habitually cheaters, that's why the Patriots were docked their first round pick.

The real reason is Goodell was a former Jets employee and has the normal hate and bias for all things Patriots. It's no accident that the Jets get a slap on the wrist for any of their infractions but the Patriots get hit with some of the heaviest penalties in NFL history for infractions on a scale of jaywalking. Heck the Patriots don't even have to commit an infraction, all it takes is Goodell to think you commited one.

Do you really think that is true?
That the a guy getting paid $44M/yr to run the NFL can be so petty?
The stories of how "close" he is to Robert Kraft make it impossible for him to just "have it in" for our team. I don't know if such a simple explanation makes sense to me. If it were true, it would make Kraft a complete fool and idiot.
That's like saying, "Bush Jr. spent $2 Trillion to destroy Iraq because his father was disrespected by Saddam."
It just doesn't make sense to me. There is a better reason why Goodell brought the hammer down so hard on his "friend's" franchise.
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...-goodell-300m-salary-report-article-1.2092554

The suggestion wasn't that BB trade for a draft pick, but that he trade for a player that another team drafted in the first. Of course, knowing the league they'd probably refuse to approve the trade because it's the Patriots.
Sorry misunderstood>

Inventing ways to game the system
Fun 2015 compensatory picks fact: 3 of the 4 qualifying UFAs lost by the Patriots (Spikes, Blount, Dane Fletcher) are all now back in NE.

Just trade all the picks for the first overall and then ride off into the sunset with Brady.

I know it'll never happen, but to see the Patriots make the first three picks of the 2nd round would be hilarious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents