PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The annual predict the Patriots season thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had 16-0, oops :p

If you told me Haynesworth would suck and be cut, Bodden cut, Ochocinco dissapoint, and have a defense ranked 31st in yards, and we'd be 13-3 #1 seed, I'd think you were crazy.

Season Prediction:

Offense:
One year ago the Patriots switched to a tight end heavy offense and by year’s end were the highest scoring team in the league. As the year went on the offense became more efficient and explosive. Just as importantly, the switch to a tight end heavy offense allowed the Patriots to run the ball more efficiently than in recent years, and become less predictable. The in season addition of Danny Woodhead helped the versatility and efficiency of the offense immensely. This year I believe the offense will be just as efficient, perhaps even better then a season ago. Tom Brady is coming off one of the best seasons in the history of football, and while I doubt he will only throw four interceptions again, he is a safe bet to remain freakishly efficient. The additions to the offense include Chad Ochocinco, Stevan Ridley, Shane Vareen, Brain Waters and Nate Solder. I expect Ochocinco to have a decent year, not a great year. Overall the receivers should be average; however, efficient. In my opinion Price will be a starter at year’s end and either Ochocinco or Branch will be demoted. Price showed promise in the pre season, running good routes, and displaying explosion. That being said, the receivers are not the key to the offense. The key is the tight ends. Aaron Hernandez and Robert Gronkowski are moving into their second seasons and I expect both will improve and play at pro bowl levels. It is not out of the question that by year’s end the Patriots have two pro bowl tight ends. Having two tight ends of such quality will also help the run game. Which I believe will be very improved from a year ago. The Patriots drafted Shane Vareen, and Stevan Ridley to go along with BJGE and Danny Woodhead. During the pre season Ridley showed great explosion, elusiveness, power, vision, and hands. I expect him to be the Patriots best running back by season’s end. Early on BJGE and Woodhead will have more carries. As far as Vareen he is iceing on the cake. I did not see enough of him in the pre season to know if he will be good or not, but hopefully he will contribute. Finally, the offensive line should be improved from a season ago. Light is back and rookie Nate Solder will work as a swing tackle, providing solid depth. The recent signing of Brain Waters will prove impactful. Waters is 34 years old and looking to win a Superbowl. I believe he will start over Connelly and improve the line. Looking at the offense as a whole I believe the passing offense will be as good as any in the league, as it was a year ago, and the run offense will be even better then it was last year. Ridley should have a big impact. I believe the Patriots will have the highest scoring team in the NFL.

Defense:
The most exciting aspect of the Patriots team entering the 2011 season is the revamped and retooled Patriots defense. Last season the defense was the biggest weakness of the team. It lacked an ability to rush the quarterback and get off of the field on third down. To fix the defense it looks like BB may have went as far as changing his defensive philosophy; running more 4-3 fronts, while at the same time remaining versatile enough to continue playing the Patriots traditional 3-4. To do so BB loaded up on veteran defensive lineman. The Patriots added Andre Carter, Shawn Ellis, Mark Anderson, and most importantly Albert Haynesworth. Pairing the new defensive lineman with the lineman the Patriots already had gives the Patriots one of the most talented and deepest defensive lines in the NFL. The thought of Wilfork and Haynesworth being on the field next to each other gives me Goosebumps. After all, you can’t double both of them. The Patriots will put out the best interior D-line in the NFL. Teams will be unable to run against them, and unable to double our defensive ends. Andre Carter has been a pro bowler and looked very good in the pre season. I believe he will lead the team in sacks. Shawn Ellis will also have a major impact. Patriot fans know all too well what he can do on the field. Pair the aforementioned with Mark Anderson and the Patriots defensive line will now provide one of the best pass rushes in the NFL. The one area the Patriots did not add players at is Linebacker; although Andre Carter could play standing up. That being said, I believe the Patriots linebackers will be very efficient; mainly because of the new scheme. Playing some 4-3 will allow Mayo to attack and get after the quarterback. I’m guessing he will play some outside linebacker this year. I expect a ten sack season from the NFL’s raining tackle king. When Mayo plays outside the Patriots will have Spikes inside. We have not seen him this pre-season but we can only assume he will build on a solid rookie campaign. I am also excited about Fletcher who has looked good in the pre-season. He penetrates well and is decent in coverage. The other outside linebacker spot is still a question. Ninkovich is ok but nothing special and doesn’t always hold the edge. I have not been impressed with how Cunningham looked in the pre-season and suspect he may be a bust. Hopefully I am wrong. That being said, the Patriots should have one of the best front seven’s in the NFL. The final part of the defense is the secondary. Like the D-line I believe the secondary will be greatly improved from a year ago. Devin McCourty is coming off a pro bowl rookie season and should only improve. The sky is the limit. Leigh Bodden missed last season and is back. Prior to the injury he was a very good NFL corner and since the injury wasn’t a leg injury he should still be very good. That allows Kyle Arrington to play the slot and go against lesser receivers. He should also be improved from his rookie year. The wild card of the corners is rookie Ras-I Dowling. I did not see enough of him to know what kind of impact he will make. He only played in the forth pre season game. That said, he looked big and explosive. If he turns out as a good player then the Patriots will have four legitimate corners. Patrick Chung gives the Patriots a solid NFL safety. He needs to be better in coverage but he seems to be an impact player on the field. The other safety is a question mark with the cutting of Meriwether. I didn’t think he was that good anyway. I believe Sergio Brown can fill in and do a solid job. The secondary should be very improved from a season ago. Looking at the defense, the pass rush should be very improved, and the coverage should be better. I expect the Patriots to be greatly improved and implore a top five NFL defense. I would call the Patriots a dark horse to have the number one scoring defense in the NFL.

Special Teams:
Last year the Patriots had very efficient special teams. I don’t expect this to change. Ghost is back kicking. Mesko should be improved after a solid rookie season. Edelman is a very good punt returner. The only major change is the release of Tate. However with the new rules there will be less kick returns anyway. The Patriots will remain very good on special teams.

Prediction:
Putting it all together I expect the Patriots to be one of the most well rounded, explosive, dangerous teams in the NFL. The offense should be the best in the league, the defense should be vastly improved and elite, and the special teams should remain solid as they usually are under BB. I expect the Patriots to run away with the AFC East, win in the playoffs, and become Superbowl champions. This is one of the better teams I have seen in a while. I would not be shocked if the Patriots dominated in a similar fashion to 2007.
Record: 13-3, Superbowl Champions.

For the second straight year I correctly predicted the Patriots final Record. That said, I was way off on Taylor Price, Albert Haynesworth, and the Patriots defense ---WAY OFF! I truly believed the defense would be greatly improved. That said, I think it was a pretty good pre-season analysis.

i think i said 12-4...close

Give me a home loss to Dallas, road losses to WAS and PIT.

WAS can be replaced with NYG or PHI, I choose WAS because they have an underrated team and are the perfect upset the Pats always lose.

Replace DAL with NYG and WAS with BUF and I was right. Predicted 13-3 either way.

I'll guess 12-4. As for what games they lose, who knows, other than you can count on at least one 'any given Sunday' game. Since I have to list which ones I'll say Miami, Oakland, Pittsburgh and the Jets, though the Eagles certainly look like they could be a tough challenge as well.

Division winners: Pats, Ravens, Texans, Chargers; Steelers and Jets are the wild card teams.

In the NFC the Eagles, Saints, Packers and Rams win their divisions, with Atlanta and Detroit as the wild cards.

Pats over the Eagles in a rematch from week 12, in front of Irsay and Polian in the Super Bowl.

Can I get a mulligan on my NFCW prediction? :confused:

12--4

I know that this is a better team than last year's, but I still pick them to win fewer games. Why? I really can't express it very well, beyond that there are a lot of new pieces that have to come together and I don't know whether we can expect two consecutive "career seasons" from our HOF QB.

I've never done this in a prediction thread before, but, barring critical injuries, I think that the pieces do all come together by December, that our HOF QB plays very well and that this team wins the Super Bowl. I also think that the intangible of playing the season for Mrs. Kraft will play a larger and larger role as Playoff time approaches.

I'll eat crow for the difference between 12-4 and 13-3 any time, as we indeed got a second consecutive "career season" from our HOF QB...and I still stand by the rest of my post. This team finished strong at 8--0.

13-3, losing to the Chargers, Giants, and Eagles. We sweep the division.

right about 13-3! and I just knew we would lose to the Giants...

if not for the first Bills game we really would have swept the division. lol

Last edited:
I predicted 12-4, not here but elsewhere. I expected one more WTF game like the Cleveland game last year.

I said somewhere on this message board that this team was good for 12 or 13 wins.. do it get a prize for that bold prediction??;);););)

50/50 - had a strong feeling it would be Buffalo's year to break the losing streak but totally didn't expect the G-men loss. GO PATS!

12-4, win AFCE, undefeated @ home with the surprise loss at Buffalo.

Too lazy to go back and find my post, but I'm pretty sure I predicted 11-5 with losses @MIA, @BUF, vs. DAL, @NYJ, @WAS. Well, I got one of the losses right...

Well, I lost. I said 12-4 and the Pats let me down again ;)

Predicted 13-3 but I'm not going to claim it as I was so far off with the losses that it isn't funny.

My prognostication ability is so great, I could be on ESPN. Though I'd need a personality or a lobotomy (not quite sure which at this time).

For the Record, I predicted 12-4 with losses to the Chargers, Dolphins, Jets and Eagles (so that opening line what the punch line and my prediction is the joke) :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News