PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 2014 Mock draft Thread.

I really liked Collins and never bothered to mock him because I didn't think Bill would take him. So you never know.

Me too. He was on my top 5-6 "I really wish I could have this guy" list, but I never mocked him because it seemed too far-fetched.

Campanaro comes in and replaces Edelman right away. Using a 3rd rounder to replace a FA who just got a 6-7M AV per year deal is Belichick smart.

He's another guy that has really rocketed up the rankings. I was looking at him as a 6th or 7th round option and now he may not make it out of the 3rd.

He's another guy that has really rocketed up the rankings. I was looking at him as a 6th or 7th round option and now he may not make it out of the 3rd.

Can I ask which rankings you are basing this on? CBS still have him at #184.

Is the idea to predict what BB will do or explain what we’d do?

If it’s the BB model, it’s probably very good, I routinely want to throw my TV out the window while watching the draft.

If it’s what we would do I hate it, Mayo’s most recent mock was easily the best I’ve seen so far.

I prefer to try and mock what BB will likely do because I find it an interesting intellectual exercise for myself.

Can I ask which rankings you are basing this on? CBS still have him at #184.

CBS as we all know is a bit behind on reordering prospects but it's more or less my own evaluation base on different factors.

I think think given his combine:

4.46 40
4.01 SS
6.76 3C
39 VJ
10'2" BJ
20 BP

And how good his tape is, reportedly very smart, fell under the radar due to a broken collarbone that he will rise. I see a team like Denver, NE or GB that can truly utilize a good slot receiver picking him up early before one of the other teams scoops him up.

And for the record I said he MIGHT not make it out of the 3rd. My feeling is he'll go in the mid 3rd to mid 4th.

EDIT: Also Phillip Gaines is 253 on CBS currently and listed as a 7th rounder. I don't think anybody still feels that way about him.

Quick bump.

- Cut or restructure Vince Wilfork
- Re-sign Aqib Talib
- Re-sign LeGarrette Blount
- Either re-sign Julian Edelman or sign a UFA WR like Sidney Rice
- Sign a UFA DE like Michael Johnson (fantasy: Greg Hardy - won't happen, but it would be unreal)
- Dream: trade Ryan Mallett and Stevan Ridley to Houston for #33. I'll keep it for this mock, even though it's a long shot.

Draft:

- Trade #29 and 62 to Dallas for #16.

16. Aaron Donald, DT, Pittsburgh. Explosiveness score of 76, mobility score of 17.77 for a DT = unreal athleticism, plus tremendous motor, intelligence and combat skills.

- Trade 33 to Jacksonville for 39 and 102.
- Trade 39 to San Francisco for 56 and 77.

56. Austin Seferian-Jenkins, TE, Washington.

77. Best available interior OL: Joel Bitonio, Marcus Martin, Weston Richburg or Travis Swanson.

93. Justin Ellis, NT, Louisiana Tech. Ellis and Sealver Siliga would be a solid young tandem at NT.

102. Antone Exum, DB, Virginia Tech. I seem him as aSS conversion, and think he will eventually be a great compliment to Devin McCourty, but he can also play outside press-man CB.

4b. Jordan Tripp, LB, Montana. Versatile LB with the athleticism to play in space and cover and the explosiveness to come off the edge.

6a. Jeff Janis, WR, Saginaw Valley St. Big WR with elite movement skills. Needs to learn how to catch the ball.

6b. Dontae Johnson, DB, North Carolina. Big CB/S with excellent mobility. Phillip Gaines or Jonathan Dowling would be options.

6 (comp). Larry Webster, DE/TE, Bloomsburg. Move TE conversion with tremendous agility and potential explosiveness.

7. Tyler Gaffney, RB, Stanford or Lorenzo Taliaferro, Coastal Carolina. Big RBs with good mobility to replace Stevan Ridley in a RBBC.

A good mock but I will nit-pick cause it gives us something to talk about : P

#16 Donald - sure if he is in reach of a reasonable move up but we need to make sure it does not cost us too much.

#56 ASJ - Doubt he is there. If he is great pick up. Love it.

#77 OL is always welcome and there is good depth in this draft.

#93 I like the player itself but not the pick. I want to get away from NTs. You will lose some run D but I'd rather take another pass rushing DT here. Just a philosophical difference is all.

4A - provided we get a vet to play SS for this year so this kid can learn I like this pick. Tons of upside but like you said he needs to be converted to SS

4B - I like this pick too though it will be hard for him to see the field in a 4-2-5. Collins and mayo are good in coverage. However with his talent you find a way.

6A - I think he is moving up boards. Probably won't be here. I mocked him in round 4 but if he is here he is a steal and I love the player (like I said I mocked him too).

6B - Any of those guys. I like em all.

6C - Why not? I love taking great athletes late and seeing if they turn into something. Great pick.

7 - I want an RB too but I am looking for more of a Vereen back up. A good pick again but I have a different philosophy.

2014 New England Patriots Mock Draft - 2/28/14 :D

Straight Up - No Screwing Around :eek:

Round 1 - Calvin Pryor, FS/SS - Louisville (28)

Round 2 - Westin Richburg, OC - Colorado State (73)

Round 3 - C.J. Fiedorowicz, TE - Iowa (105)

Round 4 - Justin Ellis, DT - Louisiana Tech (139)

Round 6 - Dontae Johnson, CB/FS - North Carolina State (228)

Round 6 - John Urschel, OG - Penn State (234) or Spencer Long, OG - Nebraska (240)

Round 6 Compensatory - Trey Millard, FB - Oklahoma (239)

Round 7 - Lorenzo Taliaferro, RB - Coastal Carolina (257)

Parenthesis - NFLDraftScout Overall Rankings

NFL Draft - 2014 NFL Draft Prospects - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

Caveat: NFLDraftScout Overall Rankings dated 2/25/2014

Note: Multiple selections depends on availability

Collegiate UDFAs (potential diamonds in the rough):

Zach Kerr, DT - Delaware (305)
Jamil Merrell, DE - Rutgers (411)
Kenny Anunike, DE - Duke (429)
Avery Williamson, ILB - Kentucky (309)
Anthony Hitchens, OLB - Iowa (325)
Jonathan Dowling, FS - Western Kentucky (284)
Brock Vereen, SS - Minnesota (307)
Dexter McDougle, CB - Maryland (279)
Brandon Dixon, CB - Northwest Missouri State (318)

Unrestricted Free Agent Acquisitions:

Michael Hoomanawanui
Will Svitek
Dane Fletcher
Aqib Talib

Salary Cap Casualties:

Steve Gregory
Adrian Wilson
Isaac Sopoaga

NFI List (to be "redshirted" for the 2014 NFL Season):

Trey Millard
Spencer Long

A good mock but I will nit-pick cause it gives us something to talk about : P

#16 Donald - sure if he is in reach of a reasonable move up but we need to make sure it does not cost us too much.

#56 ASJ - Doubt he is there. If he is great pick up. Love it.

#77 OL is always welcome and there is good depth in this draft.

#93 I like the player itself but not the pick. I want to get away from NTs. You will lose some run D but I'd rather take another pass rushing DT here. Just a philosophical difference is all.

4A - provided we get a vet to play SS for this year so this kid can learn I like this pick. Tons of upside but like you said he needs to be converted to SS

4B - I like this pick too though it will be hard for him to see the field in a 4-2-5. Collins and mayo are good in coverage. However with his talent you find a way.

6A - I think he is moving up boards. Probably won't be here. I mocked him in round 4 but if he is here he is a steal and I love the player (like I said I mocked him too).

6B - Any of those guys. I like em all.

6C - Why not? I love taking great athletes late and seeing if they turn into something. Great pick.

7 - I want an RB too but I am looking for more of a Vereen back up. A good pick again but I have a different philosophy.

If you want more of another 3-techs at 93 then Caraun Reid would be great.

Mackinnon would make a great Vereen backup. Give us an extra comp pick and I'd love to get both.

Exum has safety experience, so he's not a pure conversion.

Mackinnon would make a great Vereen backup. Give us an extra comp pick and I'd love to get both.

Exum has safety experience, so he's not a pure conversion.

I was not aware Exum played some safety. Never mind that part then. How much of a difference do you think exist between him and Bucannon?

I have not looked at either Mackinnon or Reid yet. I will definitely check em out, thanks! Also speaking of 3rd down DTs do you have an opinion on Anthony Johnson?

Edit: When I said I was looking more for a Vereen backup I meant a guy who can catch out of the backfield. McKinnon seems good but I am not sold on that part of his game. Basically looking for anyone in the Vereen/Faulk/Woodhead fold. It doesn't need to be any specific running style just a pass catching 3rd down back.

Maybe someone like De'Anthony Thomas is what I mean.

I'm more than fine with the Ellis pick. Doubt he makes it to 93 after his Shrine and Sr bowl.

Not sure why NT is looked at so narrow. A great NT will not only stop the run but create pass rush and disruption by taking on the center and then having a guard have to help him. Essentially freeing up a pass rushing lane and disabling that guard from getting out to the next level to disrupt a LB.

Not saying he is that type of player but he did show a lot of flash getting into the backfield with a lot of eyes on him during that 2 weeks span. He is no secret that is for sure. One of those players that you want at 93 but the cost is too steep at 62.

I don't like the idea of cutting Kelly and Gregory.

I think that if the Pats decide that they are happy with younger players then both of those guys could be cap casualties, but I didn't mean to imply that they necessarily would be.

Well in that case, I don't like them being "potential additional camp cuts". Both are too good to be cut in my mind, potentially or absolutely.

Well, apparently BB disagreed with both of us, at least about Gregory.

My first post-combine mock.

1. Re-sign Talib and Blount

2. Only one of Edelman or Amendola will be on the team by draft day.

3. Sign FA pass rusher: Michael Johnson, Jared Allen, Corey Wootton, Everson Griffen are examples.

Rnd One Ra'Shede Hageman, DE/DT, Minnesota

I think I still prefer Stephon Tuitt, especially as he might be available with a trade back, but Hageman offers elite size for the position and his explosion numbers aren't just elite, they're almost unheard of. Hageman has as much upside as almost any player in this draft and that is just too much to pass on.

If Hageman is gone, which he might well be, a trade back for Tuitt or Ryan Shazier would be my next choices.

Rnd Two Austin Sefarian-Jenkins, TE, Washington

He's still my favourite TE in the draft and I believe he's still the best fit for the team and now that he's unlikely to work out before the draft a fall to our second round pick is not out of the question. If he is there at 62, he needs to be snapped up because he'll be tremendous value.

Rnd Three Travis Swanson, OC, Arkansas

Swanson's stock is falling as Martin and Richburg bounce. This pick is less about me falling in love with a prospect and more about the fit. Great size and length and great experience at an SEC school and playing in a pro style offense all mean that Swanson ticks too many boxes to not be a consideration to be Wendell's replacement.

My heart say's Joel Bitonio here but my head sticks with Swanson (for now).

Rnd Four Logan Thomas, QB/TE, Virginia Tech

BB has used a 3rd round pick twice before on high upside QBs so Thomas in the fourth is not too much of a stretch. Whether his future is at QB or TE, Thomas offers elite athleticism and whilst it's far from a guarantee, this pick could end up as a steal.

Rnd 6A Michael Campanaro, WR, Wake Forest

Camapanaro put up Edelman like numbers at the combine and has produced a lot of college production. An ideal pick to be the 'smurf' heir apparent.

Rnd 6B Kevin Pierre-Louis, LB, Boston College

His tape reminds me of the way Jamie Collins played for us this year and his athleticism is second only to Ryan Shazier. KPL fits as a backup LB, special teamer and even LB/S hybrid. Combined with his tremendous athleticism, that's too much versatility not to be worth a pick here.

Rnd 6C John Urschel, OG, Penn State

Would he become the smartest NFL player the moment he's drafted? Athletically he's a clone of Logan Mankins and he has decent size too. Another pick that makes a lot of sense to me.

Rnd 7 Lorenzo Taliaferro, RB, Coastal Carolina

Taliaferro compares very well athletically to Steven Ridley who may be starting his final season with the Pats. On top of that, Taliaferro is an excellent receiver out of the backfield and an outstanding pass blocker. Will continue to be one of my favourite picks whilst he's still projected to be a late day three pick.

So that's it. I realise that I haven't 'solved' the safety position with this mock but I'm going to hold off on that and see how the wind blows in FA and draft visits before I project a draft safety.

just a note on Everson Griffen. He was the guy BB was on the phone too in the third round when Carolina made BB an offer he couldn't refuse. Presumably there might still be some interest there and Griffen is a FA this year.

Really like that draft. Love the Pierre-Louis pick. Good value for ASJ at 61.

I'm not totally sold on Hageman but see his upside. Would it mean a return to the 3-4? I think he'd be better at end then tackle. He seems to get washed out against the run too often. I'd prefer a trade down to pick up Tuitt if we went that direction.

I'm not really sure what direction we'd go in at 29 at this point. I think the value there is likely to be at corner and WR. Neither is right at the top of the need list though.

Like the Swanson pick too. I think we will re-sign Wendell and then draft a center and have them compete in camp. Like the Thomas pick but think we might be able to get him later.

Used Draft Tek big board.

My Patriots 7 Round Mock Draft with trades...

29. Traded to Seahawks for #32, #160, #192, 2015 6th
32. Traded to Vikings for #40, #104, #200
33. Patriots traded Ryan Mallett and Brandon Bolden for #33.
33. Ra'Shede Hageman DT Minnesota
40. Austin Seferin-Jenkins TE Washington
62. Allen Robinson WR Penn State
93. AJ McCarron QB Alabama
104. Deone Bucannon SS Washington State
126. Keith McGill CB Utah
160. Tyler Larsen OC Utah State
182. Caraun Reid DT Princeton
190. Traded to Jaguars for 2015 5th
192. Traded to Raiders for 2015 5th
200. Kadeem Edwards OG Tennessee State
221. Colt Lyerla TE Oregon

Patriots fill their needs and receive 3 picks for 2015 draft. Patriots double dipped at DT and TE.

My first post-combine mock.

1. Re-sign Talib and Blount

2. Only one of Edelman or Amendola will be on the team by draft day.

3. Sign FA pass rusher: Michael Johnson, Jared Allen, Corey Wootton, Everson Griffen are examples.

Rnd One Ra'Shede Hageman, DE/DT, Minnesota

I think I still prefer Stephon Tuitt, especially as he might be available with a trade back, but Hageman offers elite size for the position and his explosion numbers aren't just elite, they're almost unheard of. Hageman has as much upside as almost any player in this draft and that is just too much to pass on.

If Hageman is gone, which he might well be, a trade back for Tuitt or Ryan Shazier would be my next choices.

Rnd Two Austin Sefarian-Jenkins, TE, Washington

He's still my favourite TE in the draft and I believe he's still the best fit for the team and now that he's unlikely to work out before the draft a fall to our second round pick is not out of the question. If he is there at 62, he needs to be snapped up because he'll be tremendous value.

Rnd Three Travis Swanson, OC, Arkansas

Swanson's stock is falling as Martin and Richburg bounce. This pick is less about me falling in love with a prospect and more about the fit. Great size and length and great experience at an SEC school and playing in a pro style offense all mean that Swanson ticks too many boxes to not be a consideration to be Wendell's replacement.

My heart say's Joel Bitonio here but my head sticks with Swanson (for now).

Rnd Four Logan Thomas, QB/TE, Virginia Tech

BB has used a 3rd round pick twice before on high upside QBs so Thomas in the fourth is not too much of a stretch. Whether his future is at QB or TE, Thomas offers elite athleticism and whilst it's far from a guarantee, this pick could end up as a steal.

Rnd 6A Michael Campanaro, WR, Wake Forest

Camapanaro put up Edelman like numbers at the combine and has produced a lot of college production. An ideal pick to be the 'smurf' heir apparent.

Rnd 6B Kevin Pierre-Louis, LB, Boston College

His tape reminds me of the way Jamie Collins played for us this year and his athleticism is second only to Ryan Shazier. KPL fits as a backup LB, special teamer and even LB/S hybrid. Combined with his tremendous athleticism, that's too much versatility not to be worth a pick here.

Rnd 6C John Urschel, OG, Penn State

Would he become the smartest NFL player the moment he's drafted? Athletically he's a clone of Logan Mankins and he has decent size too. Another pick that makes a lot of sense to me.

Rnd 7 Lorenzo Taliaferro, RB, Coastal Carolina

Taliaferro compares very well athletically to Steven Ridley who may be starting his final season with the Pats. On top of that, Taliaferro is an excellent receiver out of the backfield and an outstanding pass blocker. Will continue to be one of my favourite picks whilst he's still projected to be a late day three pick.

So that's it. I realise that I haven't 'solved' the safety position with this mock but I'm going to hold off on that and see how the wind blows in FA and draft visits before I project a draft safety.

I really like this mock draft and think it's pretty conservative without any wild reaches. If I would change anything it would be a "flex back" instead Lorenzo Taliaferro in the seventh because we really need a Shane Vereen backup.

Lovely mock, 2601. I'm not a Hageman fan, so I'll pretend that is Tuitt.

Two questions:
1. Do you put any stock in McGinn's report on ASJ, and if so does it bother you?
2. Who would you pick if I told you Mallett to Minnesota for 40 was a done deal?

Lovely mock, 2601. I'm not a Hageman fan, so I'll pretend that is Tuitt.

Two questions:
1. Do you put any stock in McGinn's report on ASJ, and if so does it bother you?
2. Who would you pick if I told you Mallett to Minnesota for 40 was a done deal?

1. It's something to be aware of and if true, then yes it would bother me. But we don't do interviews so there's no real way for us to know.

2. Well as things stand, we need a safety but aside from Jimmie Ward and Clinton-Dix, there's none that really excite me. Three possibilities occur to me:

1. Shazier-Tuitt (40) - ASJ
2. Cooks/Beckham-Tuitt-ASJ
3. Use 40+29 to trade up for Ebron or Donald.

1. It's something to be aware of and if true, then yes it would bother me. But we don't do interviews so there's no real way for us to know.

2. Well as things stand, we need a safety but aside from Jimmie Ward and Clinton-Dix, there's none that really excite me. Three possibilities occur to me:

1. Shazier-Tuitt (40) - ASJ
2. Cooks/Beckham-Tuitt-ASJ
3. Use 40+29 to trade up for Ebron or Donald.

I'd offer 29+62 (or 29+Dont'a Hightower, though BB wouldn't do it) to Pittsburgh for #15 if Aaron Donald was still on the board. Then I'd try to trade back from 40 a few spots and get the best available TE, picking up a 4th round pick. Something like this:

15. Aaron Donald, DT, Pittsburgh.
50'ish. Jace Amaro / ASJ / Troy Niklas.
62. Joel Bitonio, OL, Nevada.
93. Christian Jones or Justin Ellis.
4a. Antone Exum, DB, Virginia Tech.

I'd offer 29+62 (or 29+Dont'a Hightower, though BB wouldn't do it) to Pittsburgh for #15 if Aaron Donald was still on the board. Then I'd try to trade back from 40 a few spots and get the best available TE, picking up a 4th round pick. Something like this:

15. Aaron Donald, DT, Pittsburgh.
50'ish. Jace Amaro / ASJ / Troy Niklas.
62. Joel Bitonio, OL, Nevada.
93. Christian Jones or Justin Ellis.
4a. Antone Exum, DB, Virginia Tech.

I wouldn't give up 62 in this draft for anyone personally. I'd give up a 3rd for Ebron first and then Donald but we can get two legit starters at 29+62 this year.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back