PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 2014 Mock draft Thread.

Post-Combine mock from Mike Loyko at NEPatriotsDraft.com:

2014 NFL Draft: Post-Combine Patriots Mock Draft | NEPatriotsDraft.com - 2014 NFL Draft

It's better than his previous efforts, IMO, though I'm not crazy about it. Some people will like the Tuitt pick, but I don't. And I think Scott Crichton lasting to the mid-3rd is a pipe dream.

Things I like:

- A TE in the latter part of the 2nd round. I think one of Jace Amaro, ASJ or Troy Niklas will be available.
- Christian Jones. But I don't think he'll last to the end of the 4th round.
- The Tyler Gaffney and Aaron Colvin picks are solid.

Assuming this draft goes the way I think it will and no one is worth picking at 29/30. Here is how I see it. No projected mallet trades or trading next years pick as much as I would like us to. Also we keep Talib & Edelman walks.

#29 - Trade Down #38 & #70

#38 - TE - ASJ
#60 - DT - Easley
#70 - SS - Bucannon
#92 - CB - Gaines/McGill/Jean-Bapiste
4 - WR - Devin Street/Jeff Janis
6A - DE - Aaron Lynch
6B - DT - Jay Bromley
7 - TE - Colt Lyerla/A.C. Leonard

I'm sure it will change 50 more times. Also we need to sign a FA DE for this to work and a DECENT vet WR. Not great but decent.

Edit: Actually the more I look at this the more I like it. Some big risk in late rounds but this is a ton of talent.

Wilfork gone or reduced to 2M + NLTBE incentives

Talib resigned 5M first year cap hit
Kevin Williams DT signed 3.5M FY cap hit
Red Bryant signed 4M cap hit
D'qwell Jackson signed 3.5M cap hit

Edelman gone

1. trade for mid 2nd and mid 3rd
2a. trade for high third and and high 4th
2b. trade for mid 3rd and 5th

3a. Bitonio G/T Nevada
3b. Fiedowitz TE Iowa
3c. Terrance Brooks CB/S FSU
3d. Campanaro WR Wake
4a. Weston Richburg C CSU
4b. EJ Gaines CB Missouri
5. Isiah Crowell RB Alabama State
6a. Aaron Lynch DE S. Florida
6a. TBD

The FA moves are fine, but I can't dig that draft. At all.

3a. Bitonio G/T Nevada
3b. Fiedowitz TE Iowa
3d. Campanaro WR Wake
6a. TBD

Yuck.gif

Wilfork gone or reduced to 2M + NLTBE incentives

Talib resigned 5M first year cap hit
Kevin Williams DT signed 3.5M FY cap hit
Red Bryant signed 4M cap hit
D'qwell Jackson signed 3.5M cap hit

Edelman gone

3a. Bitonio G/T Nevada
3b. Fiedowitz TE Iowa
3d. Campanaro WR Wake
6a. TBD

Not a big fan of some of this. We don't have so many needs we need to do 3 trade downs for multiple picks. Also you are lowering the level of talent/raising the level of risk by not getting at least 1 or 2 top picks before we start drafting.

However I like your value picking. Also I like your FA.

Assuming this draft goes the way I think it will and no one is worth picking at 29/30. Here is how I see it. No projected mallet trades or trading next years pick as much as I would like us to. Also we keep Talib & Edelman walks.

#29 - Trade Down #38 & #70

#38 - TE - ASJ
#60 - DT - Easley
#70 - SS - Bucannon
#92 - CB - Gaines/McGill/Jean-Bapiste
4 - WR - Devin Street/Jeff Janis
6A - DE - Aaron Lynch
6B - DT - Jay Bromley
7 - TE - Colt Lyerla/A.C. Leonard

I sure it will change 50 more times. Also we need to sign a FA DE for this to work and a DECENT vet WR. Not great but decent.

Edit: Actually the more I look at this the more I like it. Some big risk in late rounds but this is a ton of talent.

It's a good mock. To nit-pick:

- I can't see the Pats taking 2 DBs in the 3rd round, especially given some of the depth at the position that should be available day 3.
- Not sure Bucannon would last to the 3rd anyway. With Gregory cut, he'd make even more sense if he did.
- Aaron Lynch scares me, though in the 6th the cost would be low.
- A lot of risk at the back end, as you note.

But it's very good.

3a. Bitonio G/T Nevada
3b. Fiedowitz TE Iowa
3d. Campanaro WR Wake
6a. TBD

Nice Mock, Bro.

total-recall.jpg

It's a good mock. To nit-pick:

- I can't see the Pats taking 2 DBs in the 3rd round, especially given some of the depth at the position that should be available day 3.
- Not sure Bucannon would last to the 3rd anyway. With Gregory cut, he'd make even more sense if he did.
- Aaron Lynch scares me, though in the 6th the cost would be low.
- A lot of risk at the back end, as you note.

But it's very good.

Thanks for the feed back.

-I unlike some people don't see much value in DBs after round 3. Maybe I am wrong but I think after these guys there is a large drop off.

-Maybe and maybe not. It is a very high 3rd round pick and I think he has a good shot to be there. If not use one of your picks to trade up. I really want to get him ESPECIALLY now. If you want you could also use pick #60 on him and use #70 on (Insert DT). Maybe this is the better way to go but I LOVE Easley.

-I am a firm believer in high risk late round picks. I think you're better off taking a shot every time with 6th-7th rounders as opposed to safe picks which you hope can be a back up that you could find in FA cheap anyway. It could not work out but if just 1 does then it is worth all 3 picks IMO.

I am a firm believer in high risk late round picks. I think if you're better off taking a shot every time with 6th-7th rounders as opposed to safe picks which you hope can be a back up that you could find in FA cheap anyway. It could not work out but if just 1 does then it is worth all 3 picks IMO.

I completely agree. And even more so for UDFAs.

It may very well be more realistic, but that doesn't make it any less of a "television through the window" kind of draft.

I think it's more realistic than the "trade up for Aaron Donald" which they'd never ever do, IMO. Small one-gapper, nope.

Maybe. But they should. He's worth it. Dwight Freeney was just an undersized sub-rusher, after all.

Not a big fan of some of this. We don't have so many needs we need to do 3 trade downs for multiple picks. Also you are lowering the level of talent/raising the level of risk by not getting at least 1 or 2 top picks before we start drafting.

However I like your value picking. Also I like your FA.

The multiple tradedowns are unrealistic but the guys taken are more safe picks to fill holes. 2 OL who can play right away, 2 good DBs, best blocking TE with great hands. A flyer on Lynch and Crowell was once considered one of the top backs in the freshman class at GA. Campanaro comes in and replaces Edelman right away. Using a 3rd rounder to replace a FA who just got a 6-7M AV per year deal is Belichick smart.

With the FA signings, there'd be no place to put a DT anyway.

I haven't finalised my post combine mock but I really think we need to pick up either Ryan Shazier in the 1st round or Pierre-Louis in the 3-4.

We can really do with that coverage linebacker on 3rd down. Both could also potentially move to strong safety or at least play it in certain situations. Would allow us to play the big nickel effectively. You wouldn't know who was coming or dropping between Collins, Shazier and Mayo at LB.

I haven't finalised my post combine mock but I really think we need to pick up either Ryan Shazier in the 1st round or Pierre-Louis in the 3-4.

We can really do with that coverage linebacker on 3rd down. Both could also potentially move to strong safety or at least play it in certain situations. Would allow us to play the big nickel effectively. You wouldn't know who was coming or dropping between Collins, Shazier and Mayo at LB.

Or Christian Jones in the 3rd. I don't see Pierre-Louis as going 3-4 at this point, though he could climb. The athleticism is elite, but I'm not sure the tape warrants that high a pick.

I do think that Shazier is a legitimate alternative in the 1st, though I have other preferences.

I think it's more realistic than the "trade up for Aaron Donald" which they'd never ever do, IMO. Small one-gapper, nope.

Is the idea to predict what BB will do or explain what we’d do?

If it’s the BB model, it’s probably very good, I routinely want to throw my TV out the window while watching the draft.

If it’s what we would do I hate it, Mayo’s most recent mock was easily the best I’ve seen so far.

I never waste sleep over what BB will do. We could have mocked non-stop the past 2 years, and no one would have come up with Tavon Wilson in the 2nd or Duron Harmon in the 3rd. Heck, I'm not sure anyone came up with trading back and getting Jamie Collins.

I try to put out what I would do, and that has to fit with the team as it currently exists. Sometimes I try to make it more "realistic", sometimes I try to shake things up a bit and make a point even if I know it's far-fetched. But I don't worry much about whether the Pats would do it.

I don't see Pierre-Louis as going 3-4 at this point, though he could climb. The athleticism is elite, but I'm not sure the tape warrants that high a pick.

It doesn't. He is out of position way too often and doesn't make impact plays. Although Pierre-Louis is doing it with speed and Spikes with braun the way they overshoot the play so often reminds me of their other.

Heck, I'm not sure anyone came up with trading back and getting Jamie Collins.

I really liked Collins and never bothered to mock him because I didn't think Bill would take him. So you never know.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back