PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 2013 NFL Combine Thread

Looking back at the numbers the following are pretty much perfect in terms of ideal Patriots measurables (40, 10 yd split, vert, 3-cone):

Markus Wheaton
Ryan Swope

Swope scores better than Wheaton. I wonder if his tiny hands are a factor though.

Da'Rick Rogers almost qualifies as perfect but his 10 yard split is poor (1.67)

Marquess Wilson is also very good although his vert 34.5" is fairly average.

Others

Maybe Quinton Patton (not so great 40 or Vert)
Justin Hunter (no 3-cone)
Tavon Austin (Poor Vert, no 3-cone)
Chris Harper (Good except his 40 time could be better)
Mark Harrison (not great 3-cone)

Harper's numbers remind me of David Givens, though without the same leg strength..

When it comes to edge rushers, bear in mind that Chandler Jones, Bequette and Justin Francis were in the top 7 positionally at the 3-cone last year. Look for a good 3-cone before mocking an edge rusher.

Intrigued with Stedman Bailey as a value pick. While hes not that tall (5 ft 10), he has excellent measurables. Long arms (32 3/4), huge hands (9 7/8) and a good 3 cone time. In the 3rd I would take him depending on our picks beforehand.

1st Id take Patterson, Hunter or Hopkins. Doubt any of the three make it to us, maybe Hopkins. Hunter and Patterson have way too much upside to fall outside of the top 25. With Miami, Minnesota, Seattle and Houston drafting before us I would imagine Tavon and these three are off the board.

2nd Wheaton, Da'Rick Rogers (my binky), possibly Patton. I'm turned off by his vertical and 3 cone time, though.

3rd Bailey

4th Harper, M. Wilson, Rodney Smith (a bit early probably should be in that 5-7 range, very raw, cant teach his measurables or speed though)

5-7: Mark Harrison, TJ Moe (could be dominant in the slot and teams will be scared off by his 40), Josh Boyce, Conor Vernon.

Woods: his 3 cone time scared me off
T Williams: small hands, poor 3 cone, poor vert
Swope: way too small of hands otherwise great, seemed to use his body to catch the ball in the gauntlet
Goodwin: great speed but we need less gadget guys and more true WRs

Te'o hasn't run yet, so I guess he could still surprise me, but I'm not seeing him as a first round guy.

So far, Cornelius Washington has 36 reps and a 10'8" broad jump. I'm really interested in the 10, 40, and 3-cone, but so far he's doing great.

I don't think he's a starter, but I think he could step in as a situational edge rusher right away.

Looking forward to Ogletree's 40 time. Better than 4.45? Would be one of the fastest times ever for an ILB.

Never understood the Moore hype. He plays too slow. Too leggy.

Are you talking about Sio Moore? He has great instincts for the position, always around the ball. Check out his INT totals at the LB position.

Seems Keenan Allen gets too easily discounted

Interested in lots of situational pass rushers in the middle rounds. Malicah Goodman, Cornelius Washington, Corey Lemonier, Armonty Bryant and Devin Taylor.

Goodman has good but not great explosion with vert of 31.5 and broad of 114. I was surprised by how strong he is. 26 reps with ALMOST 37 inch arms. Crazy. He could be a CJ clone with blend of length, strength and athleticism.

Washington is my favorite pure edge rusher.

Devin Taylor, didnt really hear about him until now. His measurables and performace thus far are both off the charts. 6 ft 7, 36 in arms, heavy hands. 35 inch vert (5th) and 128 in broad (tied for 1st), explosion is ridiculous. Interested in his ten yard split.

Not a DE but is anyone else really impressed with Sheldon Richardson? Not the best 40 but I bet his 10 yard split is much better. Just as athletic as Shariff Floyd, if not moreso. More explosive as his vertical was better than Floyds and his broad blew Floyds away. Theyre testing at about the same weight as well.

Looking forward to Ogletree's 40 time. Better than 4.45? Would be one of the fastest times ever for an ILB.
4.62 unofficially. Not bad at all, but not nearly what he was hyped up to be by many.

Surprised by Ogletree's time - he has bulked up a little. Plays much faster on tape.

Florida A&M's Brandon Hepburn who I highlighted a few days ago is currently the third fastest (4.59). Very much has a Patriot personality. Keep an eye on him in drills.

Cornelius Washington with a 4.53 at at 265lb with 34" arms. Hmmmm

Wait for his 3-cone.

Here he is at Senior Bowl.

DE Cornelius Washington Senior Bowl - YouTube

I posted a couple of articles about him last May. Said he ran 4.4. Which sounded skeptical. But, 4.53 ain't bad at that size. Wouldn't spend a 1st on Montgomery or Okafor at de. Maybe, a 2nd for Hunt or Carradine. If not either of those rounds, thinking a 3rd(91) for Washington if we get some extra picks.

Including the Patriots. We don't draft 4.7 WR's. We barely draft 4.5 ones.

Then maybe it's time to give 4.7s a chance, because whatever Bill & his WR "brain trust"
are doing, it ain't cutting it.

Then maybe it's time to give 4.7s a chance, because whatever Bill & his WR "brain trust"
are doing, it ain't cutting it.

They're going to go 6'+, 4.5 or lower

Does anyone think Ansah could go top 3? He's a better prospect than Moore and Werner....

Does anyone think Ansah could go top 3? He's a better prospect than Moore and Wjoerner....

I think he'll go five to the Lions. They coached him in the Senior Bowl and he shone in the game playing the Lions wide 9. Raiders are a possibility though.

And you're right, he's got better upside than Werner or Moore.

T.J. Moe- Missouri- 5'11" 204lbs, 30 1/8" arms and 9 7/8" hands (thats pretty big)

Moe didn't wow anyone with his 40 time (officially 4.72), but he certainly showed quickness and surprising strength.

Bench: 1st- 26 reps
Vert Jump: T10th 36"
3 cone: 1st- 5.63 (thats fast)
20 yard shuttle: 1st- 3.96 (thats fast too)
60 yard shuttle: 1st- 10.87 (thats really fast! fastest in recent years)

What this tells me is that while he may not have great top end speed, he is extremely quick with amazing change of direction ability. He destroyed the likes of Tavon Austin and Marquise Goodwin in the 3 cone and shuttles at a higher weight and bigger frame. This screams slot WR to me so I looked a bit deeper to try and find some video and scouting reports on him.

you cant say someone destroyed another person in a drill when one of those people didnt even participate.

and your numbers are incorrect, while Moe placed 1st in the 3-cone, it was a 6.53, not a 5.63.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Back