PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 2013 NFL Combine Thread

I still can't believe that the Patriots will have him on the their draft board based on his off-field issues.

I'm beginning to think BB may have been a closet-hippy back in the day. Loves to draft his pot-smokers. Heck, his son Steve was busted. Now, he's on the staff. Matt Patricia looks like he just walked out of a Greatful Dead Concert. Beer belly, dope smokers beard and bad hair.

I still can't believe that the Patriots will have him on the their draft board based on his off-field issues.

If we don't take Dennard until the 7th, then I agree. The only thing that works in Mathieu's favour in terms of the Pats re his abilities to force turnovers and special teams abilities which BB would like. still won't be enough though.

I've said Banks's speed is a concern in previous posts.
Unofficials:
CB Banks ran a 4.59
S Elam ran a 4.46
CB Milliner ran a 4.31
CB Mathieu ran 4.43
CB Leon McFadden ran 4.47
I still think Banks switches to S in the NFL or he's a money or slot guy.
I don't think he's fast enough to be an outside CB except in a Tampa 2 scheme.

Mathieu is having a great day with ball skills.
Milliner has dropped every ball I've seen him try to catch in the first set. I vividly remember him vs Tenn lined up perfectly for an int. The ball went through his hands and hit him in the face mask. Ouch.

For a good summary, read this
http://nesn.com/2013/02/nfl-combine-...ove-in-drills/

From the next group
S Vaccaro 4.49, 4.53; faster than Banks
CB Jamar Taylor 4.31, 4.32 He's my fav as a press man cover guy.
CB Des Trufant 4.31, 4.38 faster than I thought he'd run. 5'11" but plays 6'1".
CB Logan Ryan 4.5 Fast enough
CB Xavier Rhodes 4.41 Faster than I thought. Plays tough. Long arms.

Any of these CBs will do but I like Taylor's game a lot.

Defensive Back 3-cones are in:

Will Davis, Utah State tops the list at 6.52, excellent performance from DJ Swearinger (6.70), Logan Ryan is looking more and more likely (6.69). Micah Hyde (6.78) and Leon Mcfadden (6.81) and Jamar Taylor (6.82) are all in play. Aaron Hester on the other hand almost certainly won't be a Patriot with a 7.26 3-cone on top of a 4.62 40 time.

NFL Events: Combine Tracker

And this is a surprise one. Devin Taylor finished second best on the 3-cone amongst DL's @6.89. Considering he's 6'7" and has a reputation for stiffness, that's an excellent result.

I've said Banks's speed is a concern in previous posts.
Unofficials:
CB Banks ran a 4.59
S Elam ran a 4.46
CB Milliner ran a 4.31
CB Mathieu ran 4.43
CB Leon McFadden ran 4.47
I still think Banks switches to S in the NFL or he's a money or slot guy.
I don't think he's fast enough to be an outside CB except in a Tampa 2 scheme.

Mathieu is having a great day with ball skills.
Milliner has dropped every ball I've seen him try to catch in the first set. I vividly remember him vs Tenn lined up perfectly for an int. The ball went through his hands and hit him in the face mask. Ouch.

For a good summary, read this
http://nesn.com/2013/02/nfl-combine-...ove-in-drills/

From the next group
S Vaccaro 4.49, 4.53; faster than Banks
CB Jamar Taylor 4.31, 4.32 He's my fav as a press man cover guy.
CB Des Trufant 4.31, 4.38 faster than I thought he'd run. 5'11" but plays 6'1".
CB Logan Ryan 4.5 Fast enough
CB Xavier Rhodes 4.41 Faster than I thought. Plays tough. Long arms.

Any of these CBs will do but I like Taylor's game a lot.

Vaccaro ran 4.63 and looked sloppy in drills. Wasn't impressed in the least. Although he does have good game tape in his favor. Had a good 3 cone and a great shuttle. Let me take the least back. Wasn't impressed as I thought I would be.

Trufant surprised me as well with his 40. Great shuttle but looked a tad stiff in drills. Playmaker during the senior bowl which will go a long way. Late 1st early 2nd.

Mathieu impressed across the board. Not bad for being a midget and being out of football due to his idiocy.

Milliner looked like a bumbling clown out there. Talk about jitters.

Elam looked solid for the most part. He dropped a couple of easy ones but looked good in drills otherwise.

Thought McFadden would run faster but 4.47 is really good. Thought he displayed excellent body control in the drills.

Banks in hindsight should of just stuck to the game tape. Not a very good combine for him. Hope his pro day goes better as played good in college.

Rhodes looked great today. Probably moved out of reach into the top 25.

In the Safeties thread, I posted that I felt the Pats would look at these guys if they decided to go with CB/S combo with the intention of moving the guy to safety or for the Star position.

They were : Xavier Rhodes, Jonathan Banks, Blidi Wreh-Wilson, Eric Reid, Phillip Thomas , Zeke Motta

4 of the 6 ran in the 4.5s and Zeke Motta ran a 4.8 (eek).. Rhodes is the only one who ran a sub 4.5 (4.43) and it's likely he's gone in the top 15 now.

So, in other words, you have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to Teo. It's already come out that he had nothing to do with the scam, but yeah, he perpetuated it.. :rolleyes:

I'm not a Teo fan, but it's clear to me that you have an agenda. The claim that he's the dumbest human on the face of the earth is just proof of how clueless you are about the various scams that occur that people fall for.

Best case is that he's stupid, worst case is that he was in on it, which his body language and facial expressions indicate to me. That said, I still dont want anything to do with him, if you want him on the Pats that's your opinion, I have mine.

Best case is that he's stupid, worst case is that he was in on it, which his body language and facial expressions indicate to me. That said, I still dont want anything to do with him, if you want him on the Pats that's your opinion, I have mine.

First off, stop speculating on other people's opinions. Your ability to do that is as horrible as your ability to read Teo's body language. I've never said I wanted Teo in any way shape or form.

It's already come out from the guy who did the scam that Teo was oblivious. That doesn't make him stupid. He's just someone who got scammed. It happens.

Do yourself a favor and base your opinions on actual fact instead of stupid suppositions that contradict fact. You'll sound a lot more intelligent that way.

First off, stop speculating on other people's opinions. Your ability to do that is as horrible as your ability to read Teo's body language. I've never said I wanted Teo in any way shape or form.

It's already come out from the guy who did the scam that Teo was oblivious. That doesn't make him stupid. He's just someone who got scammed. It happens.

Do yourself a favor and base your opinions on actual fact instead of stupid suppositions that contradict fact. You'll sound a lot more intelligent that way.

I never did speculate on anyone else's opinion, hence the word "if", you might want to actually read other people words before attacking them, you'll sound a lot more intelligent that way.

As far as the guy who "scammed" Teo, I guess if he says it then it must be true:rolleyes:

I'm not quite sure why you're trying to pick a fight here, I've made a judgment about a player that you don't agree with, it happens. That said, feel free to continue, I find you very amusing.

What's the deal with UConn's Dwayne Gratz? His combine was absolutely outstanding,
(NFL Events: Combine Player Profiles - Dwayne Gratz)
but he was barely given a mention by the talking heads today. Is it simply a matter of
his instincts not being at the same level as his physical talent, and at about what round
should he begin to receive serious attention?

In the Safeties thread, I posted that I felt the Pats would look at these guys if they decided to go with CB/S combo with the intention of moving the guy to safety or for the Star position.

They were : Xavier Rhodes, Jonathan Banks, Blidi Wreh-Wilson, Eric Reid, Phillip Thomas , Zeke Motta

4 of the 6 ran in the 4.5s and Zeke Motta ran a 4.8 (eek).. Rhodes is the only one who ran a sub 4.5 (4.43) and it's likely he's gone in the top 15 now.

How about David Amerson? He's 6'1", ran a 4.44 and has excellent ball skills. He's made a strong case as a leading cover safety. He might not be up to scratch as a CB but as a safety, he's potentially very good (although perhaps a little too similar to McCourty).

How about David Amerson? He's 6'1", ran a 4.44 and has excellent ball skills. He's made a strong case as a leading cover safety. He might not be up to scratch as a CB but as a safety, he's potentially very good (although perhaps a little too similar to McCourty).

I'd be for it. How is he against the run?

I'd be for it. How is he against the run?

That's the weakness that prevents me fully getting behind the pick. I'd be putting Amerson as the deep rangy safety and moving McCourty up into the Gregory role.

Leon McFadden, slower than expected 40 but he has some fluid hips.

Tyrann Mathieu looks great. His hands have playmaker written all over them. Benches like a squirrel but I could envision him making plays in the slot for the Pats. Very good in drills considering how long he's been away. No longer a lock he'll be there in the 3rd.

That's a good line.

Mathieu clearly is a playmaker. The off the field stuff doesn't bother me too much. I'm more concerned about what happens when he isn't making plays, having seen most of his games.

Maybe there's a role for him w/the Pats, but I'm not sure he has a natural position in the NFL. He hasn't shown much coverage ability. When he was playing, LSU had Peterson (1 yr), Claiborne and Reid on the field with him. (And maybe their absence didn't cause it, but this year, w/both Peterson and Claiborne gone, I thought Reid was exposed a bit -- same may have occurred with Honey Badger had he been playing.)

At his size, if he plays more of a safety role than corner, there's the issue of run support and durability. The guy can hit, and likes to do so, but does he turn into a Bob Sanders type walking injury?

The bench for me mainly brings into question whether there's a work ethic issue if / when he struggles in the NFL. Guy had the whole season off, supposedly was working out w/Peterson and his father (a trainer, I guess) and he only managed 4 reps? I get scared off by guys who are weaker than I am :)

He's not a lock to be around in the 3rd, but I'd also say he's not a lock to be taken before the 5th. I wouldn't use a 3rd rounder on him, though. I would take a flyer on him later in the draft.

I'm happy to see that both the WR and S candidates had good showings.

Bring 'em in, Bill.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back