PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 2013 NFL Combine Thread

Yep.. I know about the spreadsheet. But I was looking for the "Draftnik" POV...

OK. Well I'll stick with Lewis-Moore then. I didn't watch Notre Dame that much last year, but when I did, Lewis-Moore jumped out at me more than Stephon Tuitt did. I tend to watch prospects through a Patriot lens (two gap, good against the run, setting the edge etc) so maybe that's why Lewis-Moore looked better than the higher rated Tuitt to me.

I got "yelled" at for thinking that Armstead who is 6'4 2/8" and 298 would be a 5-Tech guy even though he didn't play that position in college.

That's why I was asking about potential draft picks as I didn't see any of them that seemed to fit that mold. And I don't know of any Free Agents that fit that mold either...

He's more of a a 3 tech prospect. But, with two anchors at the other dt in Wilfork and Love. I don't think it's necessary to have 4 similiar tackles. Deaderick is a bit of a tweener. I think we're well-balanced at dt if Armstead works out. I don't think Ninko is the long-term answer at LDE. He doesn't anchor vs the run well enough. I like him as a situational pass-rusher. But, would prefer a stronger guy for him to rotate with.

He's more of a a 3 tech prospect. But, with two anchors at the other dt in Wilfork and Love. I don't think it's necessary to have 4 similiar tackles. Deaderick is a bit of a tweener. I think we're well-balanced at dt if Armstead works out. I don't think Ninko is the long-term answer at LDE. He doesn't anchor vs the run well enough. I like him as a situational pass-rusher. But, would prefer a stronger guy for him to rotate with.

I don't see Love being a starter at all. I think he was starting out of necessity because Deaderick was on the PUP to start the year.

If the Pats run the same formation as last year, which was the 4-3 "Under" as was pointed out to me and in which Wilfork#75 did a great job articulating, then we will see Armstead lining up to the right of Wilfork in the 3-tech with Jones lined up next to him outside the tackle. That would put Deaderick as the 5-Tech next to Wilfork and, in all honesty, I don't think he's capable of playing that position well. Maybe I'm being too hard on him or maybe I just want an upgrade there, I don't know.

What I do know is that the Pats need to improve their pass rush, in general, to help their Corners. They've got to be able to get to the QB in under 3.5 seconds and get more pressures. They honestly have the LBers to bring pressure from any spot in the 3-4, but they don't have the D-line to do it.

But things will be interesting this year to say the least.

OK. Well I'll stick with Lewis-Moore then. I didn't watch Notre Dame that much last year, but when I did, Lewis-Moore jumped out at me more than Stephon Tuitt did. I tend to watch prospects through a Patriot lens (two gap, good against the run, setting the edge etc) so maybe that's why Lewis-Moore looked better than the higher rated Tuitt to me.

I haven't watched today's coverage yet, but did they give any news on Lewis-Moore and how he's doing recovering?

I don't see Love being a starter at all. I think he was starting out of necessity because Deaderick was on the PUP to start the year.
Deaderick wasn't on PUP this past season. He missed two games early in the season, but was just beat out by Love before and after that. I do think that an ideal situation has neither of them starting next season, though.

I haven't watched today's coverage yet, but did they give any news on Lewis-Moore and how he's doing recovering?

No, didn't hear a thing. Have to assume he'll be on IR/PUP for whomever picks him up.

Ziggy Ansah blew it up at the combine!
Not only did he get a 4.63 40 at his size, his 10 yard split time of 1.56 is freakish fast.
Don't blink or he'll get by you, mr. OL!

Ezekiel Ansah impresses at NFL Scouting Combine | The Official Site of BYU Athletics

Now that Ansah is a confirmed top 10 pick, do the Pats have any other options for passrusher?

Cornelius Carradine
Cornelius Washington
Datone Jones
Maliciah Goodman
David Bass
Armonty Bryant
Alex Okafor

And those are just the ones that tend to fit the Patriot usual size/height/length requirements.

Good thing for Mant'i Teo that the 40 yard dash isn't the be all end all for ILBs. His 10 yard split is very good.. Though his vertical and his broadjump are not over-whelming..

Good thing for Mant'i Teo that the 40 yard dash isn't the be all end all for ILBs. His 10 yard split is very good.. Though his vertical and his broadjump are not over-whelming..

Based on his character alone I want nothing to do with the guy.

Based on his character alone I want nothing to do with the guy.

I really hope you won't be advocating re-signing Talib ;)

Te'o made one mistake. There's nothing wrong with his character. His teammates love him, that should tell you everything you need to know about Te'o.

I got "yelled" at for thinking that Armstead who is 6'4 2/8" and 298 would be a 5-Tech guy even though he didn't play that position in college.

That's why I was asking about potential draft picks as I didn't see any of them that seemed to fit that mold. And I don't know of any Free Agents that fit that mold either...

It's funny that you got yelled at. Our best 5 tech was Seymour who didn't play a lick of it in college at Georgia. All his games were 3 technique at right Dt. Sometimes you really don't know until you just put the player out there, coach him up and see what he can do. For all we know that's the reason Bill brought Armstead here in the first place?

298 is pretty close to being adequate. Probably could stand to put on a little more weight but not much. As far as Armsteads strength I'm not sure. Haven't seen much of him besides a few highlight videos and I don't watch the CFL. We'll just have to wait and see.

Please do give us your evaluation of Mant'i Teo's character..

Teo is either the dumbest human on the face of the earth or he intentionally perpetuated a scam that would still be going if it wasn't exposed, why would I want that guy on my team?

Teo is either the dumbest human on the face of the earth or he intentionally perpetuated a scam that would still be going if it wasn't exposed, why would I want that guy on my team?

If he can't diagnose a scam that obvious. How in the heck can he diagnose a well-designed draw or screen play?:)

Looking back at the numbers the following are pretty much perfect in terms of ideal Patriots measurables (40, 10 yd split, vert, 3-cone):

Markus Wheaton
Ryan Swope

Swope scores better than Wheaton. I wonder if his tiny hands are a factor though.

Da'Rick Rogers almost qualifies as perfect but his 10 yard split is poor (1.67)

Marquess Wilson is also very good although his vert 34.5" is fairly average.

Others

Maybe Quinton Patton (not so great 40 or Vert)
Justin Hunter (no 3-cone)
Tavon Austin (Poor Vert, no 3-cone)
Chris Harper (Good except his 40 time could be better)
Mark Harrison (not great 3-cone)

Draftmetrics has an interesting way to break down the combine performances for all the positions. They compare all the performances for a position since 1999 to get a better historical perspective for a current prospect. Caveat: this is a track meet.

DRAFTMETRICS | NFL Draft and Team Building Information

Draftmetrics uses a specific 3 drill avg for each position based on what drills are most important for that position. For WRs, the 3 drill avg uses the 40, vertical jump and 20 yd short shuttle.

According to this, Marcus Wheaton and Da'Rick Rogers, 2 of my favs won the day while Deandre Hopkins, Patton & Robert Woods, other favs of mine, didn't perform nearly as well. Cordarrelle Patterson didn't run the 20ss so he isn't included in the 3 drill avg. It's likely Patterson would have come in 1st had he run the 20ss. Patterson will go top 15 though.

Wheaton has the kind of skill set BB has historically drafted who go on to have good careers. Rogers has char issues (he was thrown off the team by Tenn.) but is a huge talent who performed extremely well after transferring to Tenn Tech. Both were already high on my list. Wheaton is who I think BB will target in the 2nd. 2nd on the list could be Rogers (a big body) if Rogers passes the interview. Others performed well including Tavon Austin and Justin Hunter. I'd choose Hunter over Rogers if Rogers' interview doesn't go well. Bottom line: I'm down to Wheaton & Rogers/Hunter but others (Hopkins, Woods & Patton to name 3) are still in the mix based on how the draft goes. Swope tested very well but he's a body catcher likely b/c of his tiny hands. I think the Pats drop him for his technique. This is a very deep WR class.

Bedard thinks the Pats will draft a WR in the 2nd. As of now, I agree. He also says Harvin is very much in the Patriots discussion.

The second round is where they more likely will go for a receiver.
Patriots offseason primer: After Ravens loss, expect a frenzy - Patriots - Boston.com

Banks runs a 4.59 on his first try. That could be in the 4.6ish with the official.

Banks runs a 4.59 on his first try. That could be in the 4.6ish with the official.

That's pretty slow for a cornerback. We generally look for guys with 4.4ish times at that position. Are players running slower on the combine surface in general this year?

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back