PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 2012 season: the Jets [Mod Edit: STILL] suck

Status
Not open for further replies.
re: Rex Ryan sets Quinton Coples up for Failure ...

This isn't about Coples though. Someone in the media compared Jones to JPP. Wrecks never would have said that if nobody mentioned Jones. The Patriots are so entrenched in his head that he has to pull Belichick's pants down to take a crap.

I think that JPP is a extremely rare talent. I think all the comparing Jones and Coples to him needs to stop.

I think Jones will be a great player and Coples maybe too but coaches, media or fans should relax on comparing either to a freak who had 16.5 sacks in his second NFL season.

While I also agree with the BB approach, and find Ryan to be a buffoon, there is more than 1 effective way to motivate people. It also varies by person, and one thing such as this is only part of an overall approach.
There have been many coaches, or other leaders who have successfully motivated people by building them up and setting the bar extremely high.
That part of Ryans MO, by itself, really has nothing inherently wrong with it.

I can see building him up in person or to the team/coaches but to make that assertion to the NY media is crazy

Ryan compared Vernon Gholston to Terrell Suggs. Suggs is arguably better than JPP (at least at this points in their careers). So based on Rex Ryan math, Coples only needs to be not much worse than Gholston to be successful. The bar isn't all that high.

C'mon, who listens to Ryan when he strokes his players' egos to the press anymore? A few homer Jets fans who want to buy the crap he is selling. Every one of his players are bound for Canton according to Rex.

I thoughtthis was going to be a fill in the blanks based on the thread title.

To which I would have answered: "as soon as he drafted him." At this point there are few atheltic freaks that are heads and shoulders above everyone else. It's up to the player to take the lesson the coach is going to teach them and to continue to get better.

If Coples thinks that media people comparing him to JPP is going to make him think that he can coast into the NFL and be a sack machine, then his head's already wrong. I'm sure he's flattered, but continues to work hard.

I think we saw first hand what makes BB a great NFL coach and what makes Rex Ryan not.

After a good 1st preseason performance by Quinton Coples Rex takes the podium and compares him to Jason Pierre Paul to the entire NY media. Talk about putting on the weight of the world a 22 year old rookie with a history of inconsistent play and lack of motivation.

BB was asked a similar question about Chandler Jones and responded by saying we have a lot of guys on the field doing positive things and we just want to build on it.

Agreed!

By comparing Coples to JPP, Rex is displacing blame to Coples if the kid flops. In short, he's asserting the front office did it's job finding the raw talent.

By deflecting comparisons of Jones to JPP, Belichick is prepared to carry the blame for himself if the kid flops. It will be perceived that BB wasted the first round selection by reaching for an unproven project.

But what a difference in developing the player. BB has managed media and fan expectations, so anything that Jones gives us in 2012 is pure upside. It's working. We're thrilled.

Meanwhile, Rex has personally hung the anvil on the fraying rope over Coples's head. Let's see how that works out for them.

coples is the best!!!!1!!

YOU'LL NEVER COPE WITH COPLES!!!!!!!!

09hp0245.jpg

Agreed!

By comparing Coples to JPP, Rex is displacing blame to Coples if the kid flops. In short, he's asserting the front office did it's job finding the raw talent.

By deflecting comparisons of Jones to JPP, Belichick is prepared to carry the blame for himself if the kid flops. It will be perceived that BB wasted the first round selection by reaching for an unproven project.

But what a difference in developing the player. BB has managed media and fan expectations, so anything that Jones gives us in 2012 is pure upside. It's working. We're thrilled.

Meanwhile, Rex has personally hung the anvil on the fraying rope over Coples's head. Let's see how that works out for them.

Not to mention the nuclear meltdown he's playing with by having TWO starting QB's on his team.

Oh, Rex will SAY that Sanchez is a starter, but Tebow took the hapless Broncos to the playoffs, beating the Steelers along the way, and basically pantsing the Jets in that come-from-behind win at Mile High.

So, you KNOW that Sanchez is nervous. He's saying all the right things just now, but let's see what happens when he starts having problems, which he will, and the fans start to turn on him, which THEY will, and the chants for TEBOW! start to ring down.

Yes, boys & girls, the JESTS are about to do a broadway-sized impression of a TV soap opera, and they'll have the NY/NJ press there to help stoke the flames.

:D

Last edited:

I'm told that when you drive close to the New Jersey border you can make out the soft playing of clown music off in the distance...

Just trying to sell PSLs. What else is new? Cheapest form of advertising in the NY media market.

Quinton Coples vs Cincinnati Bengals - YouTube

For those of you who missed out on the future all-pro

Have to admit, he looked great in that game. Reminds me of a young Shaun Ellis.

Have to admit, he looked great in that game. Reminds me of a young Shaun Ellis.

That's why i don't get the JPP comparisons by jets fans to him. I don't think he is even close to that level of athleticism to be that type of an edge rusher.

He is a big boy and looks like he has some power but i don't think we'll be seeing him beating guys going around the edge with speed and having that ability to bend like great rushers do.

Atleast that's my early impression of him.

I hate to admit it, but RexLax is quite proficient as a defensive coach. That being said, he absolutely sucks when reading his crystal ball. His fortune telling record is well below the Mendoza Line. If he was peerless at predicting the future, the JTSE would be 3 year consecutive NFL champs, and his roster would be All Pro laden. Keep talking, Rex.......

The play-by-play announcer is the worst I've ever heard. It's like listening to the high school kids on the grainy, shaky public access channel. I don't think he knew the names of anybody other than the quarterback and BJGE.

It explains a lot why the players go out and get arrested in Cincinnati - it's the only way they can get their names said aloud on TV.

Coples? Not impressive in that video of his first pre-season game. He's young and fast and lines up all over the place. I'm less concerned about Coples than who is going to block him for the Patriots.

Coples did look pretty good, but mostly against guys who'll be packing groceries in a few weeks time.

The JPP comparison is inane - he is a DT/DE - probably the LDE - he definitely is a million miles from what JPP is.

There's quite an obsession with the NYJ on this forum...

While I also agree with the BB approach, and find Ryan to be a buffoon, there is more than 1 effective way to motivate people. It also varies by person, and one thing such as this is only part of an overall approach.
There have been many coaches, or other leaders who have successfully motivated people by building them up and setting the bar extremely high.
That part of Ryans MO, by itself, really has nothing inherently wrong with it.

Excellent viewpoint but the spotlight will be that much more intense with the JPP comparison; he has nowhere but down to go at that point. It may give Coples a short term boost in performance but I can't see that motivating him over the course of the entire season if the efforts critiques are true.

Rex should've ballwashed him after a mediocre regualr season game...the pre season reach around will lose it's luster in a couple of weeks.:D

Coples did look pretty good, but mostly against guys who'll be packing groceries in a few weeks time.

The JPP comparison is inane - he is a DT/DE - probably the LDE - he definitely is a million miles from what JPP is.

Ryan should read Jets Insider because they are comparing Coples to Seymour. Although that is yet another way, way too premature comparison, Seymour and Coples seem to be close in playing style, position, and body type than Coples and JPP.

When Bushrod compared Jones to JPP, it was a more accurate comparison. Again it was a way, way too premature comparison, but Jones and JPP are far more similar in playing style, position, and body type.

Ever notice that Ryan seem to only pump up defensive players like this in the media? This preseason I have heard him talk up Wilkerson, Coples, Wilson, Bell, and other defensive players while he has blasted his WRs about conditioning.

Albert Breer brought up a point last week that one of the reasons why the Ravens didn't promote Ryan is because there was a culture in Baltimore of defense vs. offense and the defense acted like they had to carry the offense and they got preferential treatment. Breer thinks that Ryan may have helped to advance this culture.

Everything we have seen from the Jets seems to show this. Ryan is very hands off with the offense and appears to not even notice the riffs. He is constantly pumping up defensive players in the media, but not the offensive players. He seems to coddle defensive players (letting Cromartie play offense for example). His whole strategy is to have the defense win games and the offense just not screw up (that is the basic premise of Ground and Pound).

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes