PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 2011 Veteran acquisitions in review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excellent FAs this year. When players such as Warren and Ellis, who DO contribute, are after thoughts - it's a good sign.

Waters was a HUGE pickup. When Koppen went down, he stepped in/up. From all reports, he is an excellent locker room presence. I hope he's got a year or two more to give...

I also would add Ihedigbo to the list.

Indeed....... He ended up playing and being depended on MUCH more then we ever anticipated when he was brought here, but his contributions weren't really that small.

We knew when we got him that he was a liability in coverage, but that he would bring a certain energy in...... That's exactly what he did.

Ocho-feckin-Stinko ($5.5M AND 2 draft picks?!? for 1 goddamned catch per game?)

It was a fourth and fifth rounder. Meh. It's not like they gave up a first and second rounder for him. He'll be cut as soon as the Super Bowl is over and the money won't be an issue.

Last edited:
Overall a very good group of players. We wouldn't be here without them.

The biggest suprise for me was Ocho. I honestly expected him to put up big numbers in this offense.

Anybody remember the DL they signed, the first (and I think only) player signed before the lockout?

Edit: In the spirit of the thread ... no harm, no foul.

If I recall correctly that would be Marcus Stroud, wasn't it?

It's too bad that didn't work out due to his injury, but oh well, you can't win them all. I think that would have been a nice addition if he was still healthy.

It was a fourth and fifth rounder. Meh. It's not like they gave up a first and second rounder for him. He'll be cut as soon as the Super Bowl is over and the money won't be an issue.

Which is all cool, but then we'll be stuck at the same place we were one year ago:
No reliable #3 WR, esp. one who can force Safeties to play deeper and shallow coverages to soften.

Overall a very good group of players. We wouldn't be here without them.

The biggest suprise for me was Ocho. I honestly expected him to put up big numbers in this offense.
My biggest surprise(s) have to be Carter, Anderson and Waters. After a slow start by Anderson and Carter, they developed into dominant pass rushers for the Patriots. Waters, well I firmly believe he has an argument to be the team MVP this season.

Why do fans get so upset about how much money a guy like Ellis is making on a one year contract? It isn't like it is the fan's money.

Complaining about large signing bonuses or bad draft picks I can understand, as they can prevent the team from improving in the future, but who cares about the salary of a veteran on a one year contract, especially when the team isn't really hurting for cap space.

IMVHO,these fans seem to be primarily baseball fans who tinker in football.
That is one of the favorite pastimes of baseball fans, and for good reason,because of all the overpaid cry babies in baseball.

Ellis BTW has given some good reps this year. Unlike baseball, the same players at a position cannot play an entire football game,so spreading reps is important. That is because they are not sitting around for half the game, like baseball players, and they are getting pounded while they are playing.

But all this is just a wild guess on my part.:cool:

First of all, I think this thread is a very good one. It's nice to get away from some of the other more predictable subjects.

I think when looking at the list as a whole, it really stands out that we had one of the most successful free agency classes out of the entire NFL; which is not always the case here in N.England. The 2011 free agency class took care of BOTH re-signing our own (Light, Mankins, Warren--all pretty significant signings, even Warren has really held his own in my opinion), and also some very key signings from other teams (Waters, Anderson, Carter---all 3 enormous signings, just great...) and also Ellis, whose fate has been mediocre, but could still pay off with a big play or two in the SB.

Of course, like anything else, you'll have your 'meh' signings or weak additions also. Much like the draft, free agency is also hit or miss. We've seen this with the Haynesworth signing which didn't pan out, and also the Ocho signing, which didn't work out yet still provided some depth at a ridiculous cost.

The good thing is that both were not extremely bad acquisitions in terms of having to give that much up, so we don't have to re-live the Duane Starks or Derrick Burgess 3rd round losses like in year's past. Even including the high salary from #85, these 2 were both reletively low-risk and high-reward. Of course, it could still be argued that we have not seen the absolute end result with the #85 experiment, as unlikely as any production seems at this point. However, should he come up with a big catch (unikely, but not totally impossible) on the night of February 5th, many will be able to live with the signing in a better way...

Overall, I would count at least 6 of the 9 signings as "positive" ones, and that's a whopping 67% success rate. I do not think we see that again for a while, as this yr's crop of FA's has been pretty incredible as a whole.

Like I said though, even a guy like Ellis or (as unlikely as it seems) Ocho can still contribute on some level in our final and most important game. Even if either one shows up at all, it was an expensive depth move, but not the end of the world.

It should be noted that going out and getting a WR here, whether that's through the draft or FA is awfully tough....we've seen failures on every level now. The draft signings (Bethel Johnson, Chad Jackson, Taylor Price, Brandon Tate) and the FA's (David Terrell, Donald Hayes, Joey Galloway, Torry Holt, Ocho Cinco) have all failed miserably due to lack of chemistry with Brady and lack of understanding the offensive schemes and routes. It will be interesting to see what the future holds there.

One of ther reasons I hope we sign Brandon Lloyd is that we KNOW three things.

1) He wants to come here and play for his OC.
2) He already has played the Pats passing system, likes it and
3) He can succeed in it.

Which is all cool, but then we'll be stuck at the same place we were one year ago:
No reliable #3 WR, esp. one who can force Safeties to play deeper and shallow coverages to soften.

Hasn't really affected the Pats this year. Agree? They're in the SB and their offense, by and large, hasn't been a problem all year.

Hasn't really affected the Pats this year. Agree? They're in the SB and their offense, by and large, hasn't been a problem all year.

and, he could make one catch in the next game which might put him on thread heaven.

Agree, for the most part; but there's one game left to play, and if we score 14 points again,
then we won't come within 10 points of winning.

This is Ocho's last chance at Redemption; all could be forgiven, if...

Great year for signings. The re-signs were great, Light, Mankins, Warren, and even with the misses on Haynesworth and Ocho the additions of carter, Waters, and Anderson were exceptional. Belichik and Co. did an exceptional job last off season and if they put together another one as good this year then they are going to be great next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes