PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 2007 Patriots - Not as much fun to watch anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you not entertained?
I am.
I enjoy driving the offense into the end zone and hearing the lamantation of their fans.
It is good.

You sound like you are trying to rationalize your own boredom with this team this year.

For the record It depends when the game is on. Early games I watched to the end. These night games I turn off when they pull the starters becasue I have to get up early the next morning. I can't stand close wins like the Colts game. It gives me high blood pressure and stresses me the hell out. I'd rather win big if we win or lose big if we lose, with none of that 'what if' crap like the AFCCG. Thankfully this team is winning handidly by large margins.

What I find boring is when the other team cant even put up the slighest comeptition. It seems most teams start giving up by the second quater when the game is seemingly out of hand.

I'm loving everything about this season. The total dominance, the Moss catches, the Welker zigs and zags, the Brady bullets. Seymour and Harrison holding them to teens and while Brady scores in the forties.

I love the fourth quarter when Cassel and Eckel drive over a beaten-down defense.

I even love all the b!tching from jealous Easterbrooks and Florios. Mangina struggling. The phins floundering.

It's a wonderful, wonderful year. :D

An interesting blog and makes you almost forget about those grind em out wins from years past.

For some reason I myself sometimes miss some of those nail biters from previous years of great but not dominating teams like this years team is and what the linked blog talks about....

Is it more fun to watch these blowouts IYO? or are those nail biters missed a bit sometimes,I have to admit I loved some of those 20-17 last second wins and the under the radar wins we accomplished with no big deal made by the media.

http://www.armchairgm.com/These_Pats?_Not_so_fun_to_watch
I felt like this in '04 when the Pats were on that 21 game roll to the SB. It just became so routine to win it wasn't as much fun. When you didn't know they were going to win for sure, there was greater level of excitment. In that year the defense came out shut the other team down,we score 21-30 points and that was it. With this team the only time I got board was the Buff. game,maybe the fins game because it was just to easy. Also this year we have the factor of going undefeated,so that adds into it. But I will admit that when we get to the 4th quarter of some of these blow outs I've had enough,I know what the outcome is going to be.But saying it after all the years of bad teams almost sounds blasphemus.

Last edited:
Screw the nail biter games. I love to see the Pats demolish the opposition. I have never seen a combo like Brady, Welker, Stallworth and Moss it's like watching sports history being made. I love it. I have every game this season, sans commercials, on DVD, someday I'll pass it on to my 3 sons. Here's hoping they go 19 and 0 while trashing any opposition particularly the Mangenerat and his J....E....T....S which spells failure.

I honestly can't comprehend what some of you are talking about. I LOVE watching them this season. It's a blast, there's no nerves, just pure enjoyment. Do I go away and not watch for awhile?!!! What the F are you talking about? Seriously, I don't understand how a PATRIOTS FAN can get "bored" by any of this.

I am enjoying this season immensely. It's not just the fact of the winning, it's watching a team working together at the highest possible level. Seeing defenders swarming helplessly around a cocoon where Brady is protected, perfectly calm, until a receiver works open and the ball hits him in the hands in mid-stride...it's beautiful.

I was stressing for at least 2.5 minutes last Sunday night :) Seriously, I prefer the blowouts. I thought I was going to blow a gasket in the Colts game

How can you NOT love this? And please, don't give me this "Its automatic. Its not fun because you know they will win and go 19-0" because we don't know. As improbable as it might seem, that Pats could lose a game, or worst of all, not win the SB. Don't get me wrong, I think we are going to run the table, but it isn't "automatic".

I think there is plenty of anticipation. Its just during the week and in the first quarter of most games. We still have a ton of football games left and we really haven't done anything yet. Every win is fun to watch, no matter the score. I love watching dominanting teams, especially when they are MY TEAM! So I prefer to watch us blowout teams than win a tight game. I mean, come on, who on this board is actual going to prefer a tight win vs Indy rather than beating the **** out of them! Come on!

And yes, call me what ever you want, but I am worried (in the very very back of my head) of losing the SB, or even worse, getting beat by INDY again in the playoffs. Every game means something. Don't take anything for granted.

Last edited:
I enjoyed the games before and I enjoy them now. different team, different approach all enjoyable

We had enough of those close game years. This is new to us. 7 Drives 7 Touch downs in one half is what I want to see.

There's a few kinds of "fun" that a football game provides.

The "Drama" kind of fun was the Pats' MO in 2001 and 2003 (not so much 2004 when we were basically the best team in the league on both sides of the ball). The last-second, dramatic, gutsy victories.

This year (and 2004 to a smaller extent), I find myself laughing hysterically at several points during the game. The team is so much better than its opponents that things that Randy Moss does, or the Hobbs INT return on sunday, are freaking hilarious. It was hilarious when Pedro Martinez was good enough to clown every single batter that came up to the plate. It was hilarious some of the things that Larry Bird would do to grind down an opponent. And it's hilarious to see Randy Moss make catches that make the opponents cry.

Seriously, guys. Remember this shot from sunday? HILARIOUS.

1118072247a.jpg

The high level at which the Patriots play keeps me glued to my DVR.

I love the blowouts. I love having confidence before the game starts that we're going to win. Not likely win, but really win.

Tom Brady was absolutely fantastic playing against Buffalo. Did you see the 30 yard laser pass in the 3rd quarter (I think)? That was phenomenal. Of course, I also saw 2 ridiculous holding penalties on the Bills that allowed their backs to scamper around the edge go uncalled. (Actually, that makes this a well above average game for the refs to have only missed those two. :) )

Theres not as much intensity. An example my wife didn't normally watch football she started to a little last year. She watched the SD play off game with me, someone called her from DC and the minute she answerd the phone the Pats started winning.She thought it would have been bad luck to hang up so she stayed on for about 45 minutes until they won. After the game she said "I don't know if I could take this every week, its too intense or nerve wracking" . I don't remember the exact word she used,but she was worn out. We were entertained. I wouldn't want to watch a game like that every week but the opposite, week,after week by the fourth quarter isn't as entertaining .

Last edited:
There's a few kinds of "fun" that a football game provides.

The "Drama" kind of fun was the Pats' MO in 2001 and 2003 (not so much 2004 when we were basically the best team in the league on both sides of the ball). The last-second, dramatic, gutsy victories.

This year (and 2004 to a smaller extent), I find myself laughing hysterically at several points during the game. The team is so much better than its opponents that things that Randy Moss does, or the Hobbs INT return on sunday, are freaking hilarious. It was hilarious when Pedro Martinez was good enough to clown every single batter that came up to the plate. It was hilarious some of the things that Larry Bird would do to grind down an opponent. And it's hilarious to see Randy Moss make catches that make the opponents cry.

Seriously, guys. Remember this shot from sunday? HILARIOUS.

1118072247a.jpg
He looks like he's chewing glass. :D

Here's my take: The nailbiters are much more fun in hindsight, but are much less fun to watch as they are happening. This 2007 team is a pure joy to watch as the games are happening, but looking back on the huge victories is kind of boring. Even the analyses in here are getting tired as there's really not much to critique..."OL provides excellent protection, Brady reads the D perfectly, Brady throws 3 TDs, Moss catches two TDs, good D performance gets lost in the shuffle"...lather, rinse, repeat.

In 2003, I was doing cartwheels when Olindo Mare pushed a 35yd FG wide right from the left hashmark (that's a serious miss) and then Troy caught the 82yd winner in OT. I felt relieved after the roller coaster trap game in Houston when Graham had to make two circus catches on the game-tying drive (his 33yd catch on 3rd-and-10 in traffic is way underrated in Patriots lore), Adam had an OT kick blocked, Houston started a drive at the Pats' 35 and Willie Mac sacked them out of game-winning FG range, then finally the Pats drove for Adam's winner. I had to endure an entire bar of Pats haters (I'm in Raiders country) rooting for the Colts to score on 4th-and-goal from the 1yd line and after Willie Mac's tackle, I was the lone voice heard cheering with his arms raised in victory. The intentional safety in Denver was smart, but victory was far from assured until the Broncos horribly misplayed the free kick and then got stuffed on 3rd down and yet the Pats still had to drive the field. Those games were absolute stomach turners, but are a joy to reminice(sp?). I don't think Patriots 56 Buffalo 10 will bring back the same memories. But that Bills game definitely was much easier to digest at the time.

Regards,
Chris

Here's my take: The nailbiters are much more fun in hindsight, but are much less fun to watch as they are happening. This 2007 team is a pure joy to watch as the games are happening, but looking back on the huge victories is kind of boring. Even the analyses in here are getting tired as there's really not much to critique..."OL provides excellent protection, Brady reads the D perfectly, Brady throws 3 TDs, Moss catches two TDs, good D performance gets lost in the shuffle"...lather, rinse, repeat.

In 2003, I was doing cartwheels when Olindo Mare pushed a 35yd FG wide right from the left hashmark (that's a serious miss) and then Troy caught the 82yd winner in OT. I felt relieved after the roller coaster trap game in Houston when Graham had to make two circus catches on the game-tying drive (his 33yd catch on 3rd-and-10 in traffic is way underrated in Patriots lore), Adam had an OT kick blocked, Houston started a drive at the Pats' 35 and Willie Mac sacked them out of game-winning FG range, then finally the Pats drove for Adam's winner. I had to endure an entire bar of Pats haters (I'm in Raiders country) rooting for the Colts to score on 4th-and-goal from the 1yd line and after Willie Mac's tackle, I was the lone voice heard cheering with his arms raised in victory. The intentional safety in Denver was smart, but victory was far from assured until the Broncos horribly misplayed the free kick and then got stuffed on 3rd down and yet the Pats still had to drive the field. Those games were absolute stomach turners, but are a joy to reminice(sp?). I don't think Patriots 56 Buffalo 10 will bring back the same memories. But that Bills game definitely was much easier to digest at the time.

Regards,
Chris

Great post except on thing: McGinnest stuffed Domenick Davis on an outside run for a five yard loss, not a sack. :p

Other than that, everything else is great. I completely agree about the hindsight. Frankly, we can see it already whenever an analysis thread has to go toe-to-toe with the latest Maroney-bashing thread. It seems that threads devoid of controversy don't last long when everyone is a little too satisfied.

Boring? This boring?

NO.

I love watching the Pats blow teams out. I've been a fan since '82 and have seen my share of failure and heartache. I love that the Pats did not go quietly into the night like Tampa Bay or the Ravens after winning their first Super Bowl but instead they dug down and got BETTER. Then they won a couple more Championships and they dug further down and got BETTER!
What more as a fan can I ask for? Nothing....

I AM ENTERTAINED! And I thank the Pats for being so darn entertaining.

I love this team, I love watching them totally dominate teams. I love hearing other teams snivel and cry for pity. I enjoy the anger of the other fans.

I want the Pats to rip the heart out of teams while I watch them on TV and laugh hysterically.

I don't think we will live long enough to ever see something like this again.
Enjoy it because it IS truly amazing

It's different, for sure. But it's no less fun. It's a f*cking blast - a 3 hour party every week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes