PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

That was pass interference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless you're his boss you have no clue how openly he's allowed to speak. If you believe he was just a shill for the NFL, then that experience should take away from his credibility not add to it. As such any opinion he presents should carry less weight not more than anyone else's. When you factor in that part of his current job is to present these opinions they lose all credibility.

Not really.

When you work for a company, you have to go by that company's policy. If you don't, you won't be working for that company. I'm saying it's not the NFL's corporate policy to publicly admit all the mistakes they make every week...and the refs make lots of them. You know damn well that they review the tapes later. They aren't obligated to admit to anything, and they are better off if they don't admit all their gaffs as general policy. When they do on the odd occasion, it's an official statement of the NFL.

Refs and officials don't go out outside of that ever. Can you imagine what refs would say if they did interviews every Wednesday or whatever? What do you imagine they would say? Lips are sealed. The call was made and that's it. You can't reverse a call after the fact. They would have to deal with the backlash of admitting those mistakes constantly...fans demanding they change the score and things like that. It just happens so much that a transparent policy would be unmanageable. That's not to say that they aren't aware of the mistakes that were made at some point.

That's just common sense, and you can't fault Mike Pereira for that. I don't think he was a shill for the NFL, but he did have to follow that particular policy like everyone else.

He is not an NFL employee now. He's what you would call a rules analyst, basically...hired on by broadcasters of sorts.

What possible ulterior motive could he have for saying that this was a bad call...not just this call, but ANY call? Ask yourself this question. You actually believe that there is any reason whatsoever that all he is giving here is not his honest opinion??? Maybe you could invent something to discredit his honesty, but it wouldn't make any sense. His opinion doesn't affect anything.

As a former official and Vice President of Officiating (for like 8 years), the guy KNOWS the rules like the back of his hand. You should at least give him that.

I'd rather go with interference or not inference because the result is the same no matter how severe the interference is.
Whether its a spot foul or 15 yards doesn't matter much to me, I can see both arguments.

Thats not so bad if its a short/intermediate pass but on a deep throw, the offense gets a big chunk of cheap yardage if its a questionable call which can be a daggar to the heart to the defense. So I support the 2tier PI rule.

Not really.

When you work for a company, you have to go by that company's policy. If you don't, you won't be working for that company. I'm saying it's not the NFL's corporate policy to publicly admit all the mistakes they make every week...and the refs make lots of them. You know damn well that they review the tapes later. They aren't obligated to admit to anything, and they are better off if they don't admit all their gaffs as general policy. When they do on the odd occasion, it's an official statement of the NFL.

Refs and officials don't go out outside of that ever. Can you imagine what refs would say if they did interviews every Wednesday or whatever? What do you imagine they would say? Lips are sealed. The call was made and that's it. You can't reverse a call after the fact. They would have to deal with the backlash of admitting those mistakes constantly...fans demanding they change the score and things like that. It just happens so much that a transparent policy would be unmanageable. That's not to say that they aren't aware of the mistakes that were made at some point.

That's just common sense, and you can't fault Mike Pereira for that. I don't think he was a shill for the NFL, but he did have to follow that particular policy like everyone else.

He is not an NFL employee now. He's what you would call a rules analyst, basically...hired on by broadcasters of sorts.

What possible ulterior motive could he have for saying that this was a bad call...not just this call, but ANY call? Ask yourself this question. You actually believe that there is any reason whatsoever that all he is giving here is not his honest opinion??? Maybe you could invent something to discredit his honesty, but it wouldn't make any sense.

As a former official and Vice President of Officiating (for like 8 years), the guy KNOWS the rules like the back of his hand. You should at least give him that.
Pereira is admittedly on a mission to have the NFL eliminate the PI spot foul, and his argument is based upon the impact a spot foul has. In his position he has a tremendous influence on how the general public views a good or bad call based on his commentary.
Isolating a play that the spot foul leads to a game deciding TD with 30 seconds left to further his agenda, is aided by calling it a bad call as well.
It isn't exactly rocket science to figure out how the guy has an agenda and how criticizing the call as well furthers his agenda.
The league has been clearly shown to alter rules based upon public outcry (see OT) so it is very naive to not think Periera is playing to an audience.

Thats not so bad if its a short/intermediate pass but on a deep throw, the offense gets a big chunk of cheap yardage if its a questionable call which can be a daggar to the heart to the defense. So I support the 2tier PI rule.
If it is pass interference it isnt cheap yardage.
It seems you want the ref to make one call when he is sure and a different one when he isn't. You can't do it that way, it would be chaos.

Pereira is admittedly on a mission to have the NFL eliminate the PI spot foul, and his argument is based upon the impact a spot foul has. In his position he has a tremendous influence on how the general public views a good or bad call based on his commentary.
Isolating a play that the spot foul leads to a game deciding TD with 30 seconds left to further his agenda, is aided by calling it a bad call as well.
It isn't exactly rocket science to figure out how the guy has an agenda and how criticizing the call as well furthers his agenda.
The league has been clearly shown to alter rules based upon public outcry (see OT) so it is very naive to not think Periera is playing to an audience.

This is an assumption you've dreamed up to discredit him because it suits you.

How do you explain the fact that Mike Pereira has said that OTHER calls WERE pass interference, even game changing calls at end of games?

Answer that question, Andy, because if he had an agenda, he's doing a piss-poor job of going about the change his "mission" is trying to force somehow. Sometimes he says it WAS pass interference, and sometimes he says it WASN'T pass inference. Given that FACT, how is he not calling them like he sees them?

Your argument doesn't even make any logical sense and is a stretch based solely on personal bias.

What possible ulterior motive could he have for saying that this was a bad call...not just this call, but ANY call? Ask yourself this question. You actually believe that there is any reason whatsoever that all he is giving here is not his honest opinion??? Maybe you could invent something to discredit his honesty, but it wouldn't make any sense. His opinion doesn't affect anything.

I'd like to refer you to my friend Uncle Meat...

When you work for a company, you have to go by that company's policy. If you don't, you won't be working for that company.

See it's funny because your break in logic doesn't even span separate posts.

If you're not one of his bosses at Fox you have no clue what's expected of him. You apparently think Fox has asked him to present the facts honestly based entirely on his understanding of how the rules are supposed to be applied. I believe Fox has made it understood that they'd prefer that he skew the facts in a more provocative direction because that's better for the product they're selling. Either way we don't know for sure, so we're unable to gauge the value of his opinion.

I'd like to refer you to my friend Uncle Meat...

See it's funny because your break in logic doesn't even span separate posts.

If you're not one of his bosses at Fox you have no clue what's expected of him. You apparently think Fox has asked him to present the facts honestly based entirely on his understanding of how the rules are supposed to be applied. I believe Fox has made it understood that they'd prefer that he skew the facts in a more provocative direction because that's better for the product they're selling. Either way we don't know for sure, so we're unable to gauge the value of his opinion.

There is no break in logic. I'm talking about two different things...the NFL's policy and his new job. That's two separate things that I was trying to differentiate between.

LOL, he's constantly trying to stir the pot and feed controversy in his new job, though? That's pretty funny. Can't trust a guy like that for sure. Hope that works for you, but I don't buy it.

The calls he reports on are usually ALREADY controversial, and that's why they ask his opinion in the first place. People are going to be talking about it no matter WHAT his take is. I fail to see how calling this pass interference is LESS provocative than saying it wasn't pass interference. The EXACT same people are going to tune in either way, and I'd like you to explain to me why they wouldn't. If anything, they may tune in LESS if was ever blatantly wrong often enough...

Most people agree that Gronk was interfered with in the Carolina game. Pereira agreed without "being provocative."

This product basically sells itself regardless of content. The interest is already there and doesn't need to be forced, especially by dishonesty. Sure, let's consult the lying expert...how long would such a gig last?

Look at this thread...it's 43 pages long. Why? Because we are talking about a "questionable call." People talk about them no matter what. There is no reason whatsoever to believe that Pereira isn't on the level...unless you don't like what he says and want to discredit him.

Disagree with him if you want, but let's not be silly.

Mods, please remove this intransigent, persistent,moronically argumentative troll from this thread. Thanks.

Mods, please remove this intransigent, persistent,moronically argumentative troll from this thread. Thanks.

JOKER!!!!!

Great to see you, pal.

Care to join the discussion? Don't remember seeing you post a damn thing here except that you've missed me. Admit it...you secretly love me and keep checking up on me as a result.

Put me on ignore, old friend. You are grown up enough to ignore somebody, right? I guess not.

You go out of your way to be annoyed by me, which is a sickness. Get well soon.

Mods, please read the previous post and let me know how many personal attacks are contained therein...I count five. Please remove this offensive ,insulting troll from this thread. Thanks....and Happy Holidays everybody else.

Mods, please read the previous post and let me know how many personal attacks are contained therein...I count five. Please remove this offensive ,insulting troll from this thread. Thanks....and Happy Holidays everybody else.

:twitch:

There is no break in logic. I'm talking about two different things...the NFL's policy and his new job. That's two separate things that I was trying to differentiate between.

LOL, he's constantly trying to stir the pot and feed controversy in his new job, though? That's pretty funny. Can't trust a guy like that for sure. Hope that works for you, but I don't buy it.

The calls he reports on are usually ALREADY controversial, and that's why they ask his opinion in the first place. People are going to be talking about it no matter WHAT his take is. I fail to see how calling this pass interference is LESS provocative than saying it wasn't pass interference. The EXACT same people are going to tune in either way, and I'd like you to explain to me why they wouldn't. If anything, they may tune in LESS if was ever blatantly wrong often enough...

Most people agree that Gronk was interfered with in the Carolina game. Pereira agreed without "being provocative."

This product basically sells itself regardless of content. The interest is already there and doesn't need to be forced, especially by dishonesty. Sure, let's consult the lying expert...how long would such a gig last?

Look at this thread...it's 43 pages long. Why? Because we are talking about a "questionable call." People talk about them no matter what. There is no reason whatsoever to believe that Pereira isn't on the level...unless you don't like what he says and want to discredit him.

Disagree with him if you want, but let's not be silly.
Look, I've been in enough pissing contests around here to the point where yellow is my color of the day. But, I've got to ask: why are you so obsessessed with a call that didn't involve your team, didn't affect their playoff chances and, while admittedly iffy in my book, pales in comparison to many others that have decided games this year? Were you this outraged by the flag being picked up on the Gronk interference at the end of the Carolina game? How about the call at the end of the Pats game in New Jersey? The blown call a couple of weeks ago that screwed the Redskins in their game vs. the Giants? What made this call go up your wazoo 14.6 miles? Wait...a lost wager, perhaps??? Just wondering...and guessing...

From my hero, Mark Twain:

“When you catch an adjective, kill it. No, I don't mean utterly, but kill most of them--then the rest will be valuable. They weaken when they are close together. They give strength when they are far apart.” ;)

Just call him a TWAT, short for tedious, wanker, anus-puckering troll.:D

Wow. Is "old pal" and "friend" a personal attack? I called you those things.

Meanwhile:

Please remove this troll from the thread, mods.

Mods, please remove this contentious, argumentative troll from this thread. Thanks.

If that wasn't enough, this unbelievably happened AFTER you repeatedly insulted me:

These are the ONLY things you had to say in this thread since I joined the discussion. I wouldn't be surprised if you checked back into this thread ONLY to attack me. If you REALLY take these things THAT seriously, then I'd say you really DO have a problem, and I feel sorry for you.

If you count five personal attacks from what I said, count them down right here, one-by-one. I'd be very interested to see you do that. Then compare them to what you've said to me. Considering what you said, I think I've behaved myself much better than you, I'd say. Didn't really attack you at all, did I?

This isn't a personal attack?
"intransigent, persistent,moronically argumentative troll...and Happy Holidays everybody else."

How would YOU respond to that, which is the thing you said to me?

I requested nicely that you stop cyber-stalking me, and yet you refused as well.

Look, I've been in enough pissing contests around here to the point where yellow is my color of the day. But, I've got to ask: why are you so obsessessed with a call that didn't involve your team, didn't affect their playoff chances and, while admittedly iffy in my book, pales in comparison to many others that have decided games this year? Were you this outraged by the flag being picked up on the Gronk interference at the end of the Carolina game? How about the call at the end of the Pats game in New Jersey? The blown call a couple of weeks ago that screwed the Redskins in their game vs. the Giants? What made this call go up your wazoo 14.6 miles? Wait...a lost wager, perhaps??? Just wondering...and guessing...

To answer your question, I HAVE been outraged by those other calls. Why would you assume that I wasn't? What do you know about that? And I didn't join this discussion to get into a pissing contest. I started with one comment and got sucked into what I thought was a debate. Other people want to take it personally or something.

I think the real question is why do people from other fanbases draw an arbitrary line in the sand that people of other fanbases are not allowed to cross...that's the issue here. I can see how some sort of smack-talk is out of line and such, but it's not like I'm here to insult anybody...which I didn't, Joker. There was no smack. I respected everybody well enough in the disagreement. I like football and was talking about something that I saw happen in a game I watched. Kill me.

I'm a Bills fan, so I'm not allowed in the discussion, otherwise certain people get butt-hurt like it's actually none of my business? LOL, this is all in the public realm. We are talking about a GAME, for Christ's sake. I WATCHED this game. You got racism, sexism, and agism...this is "fanism," if you will, a pathetic form of discrimination. If you don't like my style, then I don't care. Ignore me. I don't have to justify myself. This is a message board, for crying out loud. But argue a point on another team's board, and you are automatically labeled a troll. Ridiculous.

None of you long-timers can possibly say with a straight face that they haven't partaken in a heated debate on this board. I happen to enjoy those from time to time. Any holier than thou crap is ridiculous. I gotta be a relative of George Zimmerman or Travon Martin to have a debate about the "stand your ground" law in Florida and what happened in that case too?

The truth is that I've not said ANYTHING here that I wouldn't have said to anybody anywhere else. My comments would not have been any different had this been ABOUT the Bills on a Bills board. There was a back-and-forth between people. I make some great points, but that doesn't matter 'cuz I somehow have no right to say them, apparently. Why is that again? We are talking about a penalty flag in a game, and not anything else. Then a guy like Joker actually hates me for it. Crazy. Guess we'll draw down at sunrise about it.

Mods, my two sons 18 and 19 would like to participate in this thread but they are intimidated by this aggressive troll. I have been a life long Patriots fan and enjoy seeing my sons growing into life long Patriots fans..that is why we're are all members here. I politely request you remove this troll from this thread so Patriots fans can post in it without fear of attack. Thanks.

To answer your question, I HAVE been outraged by those other calls. Why do you assume that I wasn't? What do you know about that? And I didn't join this discussion to get into a pissing contest. I started with one comment and got sucked into what I thought was a debate. Other people want to take it personally or something.

I think the real question is why do people from other fanbases draw an arbitrary line in the sand that people of other fanbases are not allowed to cross...that's the issue here. I can see how some sort of smack-talk is out of line and such, but it's not like I'm here to insult anybody...which I didn't, Joker. There was no smack. I respected everybody well enough in the disagreement. I like football and was talking about THAT.

I'm a Bills fan, so I'm not allowed in the discussion, otherwise certain people get butt-hurt like it's actually none of my business? LOL, this is all in the public realm. We are talking about a GAME, for Christ's sake. I WATCHED this game. You got racism, sexism, and agism...this is "fanism," if you will, a pathetic form of discrimination. If you don't like my style, then I don't care. Ignore me. I don't have to justify myself. This is a message board, for crying out loud.

None of you long-timers can possibly say with a straight face that they haven't partaken in a heated debate. I happen to enjoy those from time to time. Any holier than thou crap is ridiculous. I gotta be a relative of George Zimmerman or Travon Martin to have a debate about the "stand your ground" law in Florida and what happened in that case too?

The truth is that I've not said ANYTHING here that I wouldn't have said to anybody anywhere else. My comments would not have been any different had this been ABOUT the Bills on a Bills board. I make some great points, but that doesn't matter 'cuz I somehow have no right to say them, apparently. Why is that again?
Honestly, how can you get worked up enough to compose Tolstoy novel-length responses to every perceived slight, no matter how trivial? Your Gertrude Stein stream-of-conciousness responses are admirably passionate and I salute you for that spirited sentiment. But come on, no one gets this jacked up about a call unless a) you despise the team you perceive was the beneficiary of a bad call, b) the call cost you money in a bet, or c) both. Now, if I were a betting man myself ( which I was in my youth), my money would be on option "c". Come on now, Meat, come clean.

Honestly, how can you get worked up enough to compose Tolstoy novel-length responses to every perceived slight, no matter how trivial? Your Gertrude Stein stream-of-conciousness responses are admirably passionate and I salute you for that spirited sentiment. But come on, no one gets this jacked up about a call unless a) you despise the team you perceive was the beneficiary of a bad call, b) the call cost you money in a bet, or c) both. Now, if I were a betting man myself ( which I was in my youth), my money would be on option "c". Come on now, Meat, come clean.

I'm an extremely fast typer, and I'm not worked up. If I was worried about being "slighted," I wouldn't be here in the first place. Not to toot my own horn, but I think I can express myself pretty well through the written word. Like I say, I enjoy a heated debate from time-to-time as long as no animals are harmed in the process. All there is to it.

I had no stake in this game, and I'm not pulling any punches. I just don't like BS happening in these situations. I'm not a Patriots fan, but I was upset about that "pushing into the pile" penalty against the Patriots this year too, for example...even more chagrined that many Pats fans, it seemed. Don't care if it's an actual new rule; it was BS and horrendous. The evidence that I said that is somewhere on this board if you care to find it. Believe it or not, Joker actually thanked me for a post I made related to that, complete with that lovely heart-shaped icon. Now he's targeted me and gone hog-wild.

This Joker guy is really starting to creep me out, though.

And this is all pure gold here, by the way.

Mods, my two sons 18 and 19 would like to participate in this thread but they are intimidated by this aggressive troll. I have been a life long Patriots fan and enjoy seeing my sons growing into life long Patriots fans..that is why we're are all members here. I politely request you remove this troll from this thread so Patriots fans can post in it without fear of attack. Thanks.

Now I know you must be kidding.

Good one.

It's been almost a week and that was still not pass interference!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents