PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Team needs?

Now with Mayo announcing retirement ... You are left with Hightower, Collins ,Freeney and Bostic. That's one Injury away from the Freeney show folks. Still feel like lb isnt a need?

If you ask me LB was always a need even with Mayo on board. Think one of the day 2 selections need to be a LB. What relaxes me is that we don't really need to hit on a "Tier 1" player there. A solid "Tier 2" player that could upgrade Freeney would already be more than enough. So there is some wiggle room to play with in terms of how much draft capital you want to use.

In fact, we could even get away this year with a unspectacular FA signing.

I know Pats drafts are unpredictable, but this season tops that. I really don't have a single clue on what they might be really looking for. We know the OLine is the greatest concern, but do we know for sure if its a personal problem or a group that was injured and lacked experience down the stretch?

Like always once we are 1-2 weeks into FA we will have a better picture of what to expect from the draft. Right now it really is a crapshoot loaded with assumptions based on previous behaviour.

Now with Mayo announcing retirement ... You are left with Hightower, Collins ,Freeney and Bostic. That's one Injury away from the Freeney show folks. Still feel like lb isnt a need?
Re-sign Dane Fletcher & Dekota Watson to vet minimum contracts, maybe sign another young vet FA, draft an athletic LB on Day 3, and sign the best UDFA LB available.
I still don't believe that, given the personnel crisis on offense, we can invest significant cap space or draft capital at LB. Like RBs, good LBs can be found throughout the draft, post-draft, and in veteran free agency.

Re-sign Dane Fletcher & Dekota Watson to vet minimum contracts, maybe sign another young vet FA, draft an athletic LB on Day 3, and sign the best UDFA LB available.
I still don't believe that, given the personnel crisis on offense, we can invest significant cap space or draft capital at LB. Like RBs, good LBs can be found throughout the draft, post-draft, and in veteran free agency.

One thing though. Our defense really suffered when Hightower or Collins were out.

Be that as it may, I still don't want to see a Day 2 pick used on a LB unless Bill had already invested
heavily in offense during free agency.

Be that as it may, I still don't want to see a Day 2 pick used on a LB unless Bill had already invested
heavily in offense during free agency.

getting Scar to come back does that in a big way....the pats offense had more injuries than it could handle and they simply had to count on too many rookies for OL depth......they're not rookies anymore....even if they don't add a single OL in the offseason, I'd bet that this unit vastly improves over last year, and with that improvement, the offense has all it needs to win it all

LB depth is poor.......things fell off drastically whenever collins or hightower were not on the field.

who they pick in round 2 should depend on the immediate impact that player can make.....

Whoever they pick on rd 2 should be BPA.

I dont care if its offense or defense. When you start drafting for need, thats when draft classes usually tend to fail.

I do believe WR will be addresed aggressively this off season. Edelman, Lafell, and Amendola are all about to hit their 30's. Now is the perfect time to address that in the draft. Give these guys time to adjust to the system and throw them in when they're ready.

Whoever they pick on rd 2 should be BPA.

I dont care if its offense or defense. When you start drafting for need, thats when draft classes usually tend to fail.

I do believe WR will be addresed aggressively this off season. Edelman, Lafell, and Amendola are all about to hit their 30's. Now is the perfect time to address that in the draft. Give these guys time to adjust to the system and throw them in when they're ready.

I actually see the team addressing the WR position with a FA move and not the draft. Marvin Jones or Jermaine Kearse will be my guess. I don't see them targeting Travis Benjamin. He had a career year that also happened to take place in a contract year. You usually want to stay away from those guys. But Jones and Kearse will be good fits then, after that, we have to hope that Lafell can return to his 2014 form.

I actually see the team addressing the WR position with a FA move and not the draft. Marvin Jones or Jermaine Kearse will be my guess. I don't see them targeting Travis Benjamin. He had a career year that also happened to take place in a contract year. You usually want to stay away from those guys. But Jones and Kearse will be good fits then, after that, we have to hope that Lafell can return to his 2014 form.

I can see them doing both. Getting one of those guys you mentioned in FA and drafting someone also.

Sucks we couldnt make it back to the SB, but this team is still in great shape.

I feel we can afford to take some chances, especially time comes the draft.

I can see them doing both. Getting one of those guys you mentioned in FA and drafting someone also.

Sucks we couldnt make it back to the SB, but this team is still in great shape.

I feel we can afford to take some chances, especially time comes the draft.

Sign me up on Marvin Jones 100%. Kearse also seems like a real possibility. I do agree with Azorian though, the two pronged attack of FA and draft makes the most sense. I do think they need to try and make the WR pipeline work despite the very limited successes.

Tyler matakevich. He flat out has the game to play linebacker in the NFL

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back