PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Team needs?

I won't be looking for LBs until at least day 3, and when I do, they'll be able to actually cover somebody.

People need to be realistic. We need one backup CB and one backup ILB. Thats it. IF Hicks is gone we need one DT. On the other side ... We need WR, T, G,RB , TE.. Thats the realist part, how many 7 round WR fits the criteria of ´´strech the field``? So IMO SANU or JONES are really better choices... We can use our 3 first picks to ´´fix`` ou OL ( Draft a T backup/future VOLLMER replacement in the round 2, draft a quality G and RB in round 3. Round 4 we draft another TE. Round 5 ( compensatory) We grab ILB. Round 6 we go after CB depht and maybe another ILB. And round 7 bpa... But if we extend sheard, HT, rest Dola, cut cannon, S Chandler, dont pick Mayo option, and cut Lafell ( if we get sanu or jones) we have money to extend Collins, Hicks and more ...

I have OT, OG, RB, WR x 2, TE2, LB, and possibly CB. This may be the first year in a while that I'll leave safety out of it. Butler's play allowed Chung to resume the same role that he had in 2014 and he's effective in that role. WR x 2 may change depending on whether or not Lafell's ineffectiveness in 2015 was due to the fact that he was still recovering from injury. If he can round back into 2014 form, only one WR is needed and the team may look to fill that through FA as opposed to the draft.

Some prospects I've been watching thus far:

OT/OG - Shon Coleman, John Theus, LeRaven Clark, Cody Whitehair, Christian Westerman, Josh Garnett

RB - Alex Collins, Derrick Henry (may vault into solid 1st round status though), Jonathan Williams, Kenyon Drake, Kenneth Dixon, Kelvin Taylor

WR: Braxton Miller, Michael Thomas, Will Fuller so far

TE2: Hunter Henry, Austin Hooper, Jerell Adams

Obviously, still a lot of work for me to do. But those are the guys I have been looking at thus far.

I have OT, OG, RB, WR x 2, TE2, LB, and possibly CB. This may be the first year in a while that I'll leave safety out of it. Butler's play allowed Chung to resume the same role that he had in 2014 and he's effective in that role. WR x 2 may change depending on whether or not Lafell's ineffectiveness in 2015 was due to the fact that he was still recovering from injury. If he can round back into 2014 form, only one WR is needed and the team may look to fill that through FA as opposed to the draft.

Some prospects I've been watching thus far:

OT/OG - Shon Coleman, John Theus, LeRaven Clark, Cody Whitehair, Christian Westerman, Josh Garnett

RB - Alex Collins, Derrick Henry (may vault into solid 1st round status though), Jonathan Williams, Kenyon Drake, Kenneth Dixon, Kelvin Taylor

WR: Braxton Miller, Michael Thomas, Will Fuller so far

TE2: Hunter Henry, Austin Hooper, Jerell Adams

Obviously, still a lot of work for me to do. But those are the guys I have been looking at thus far.

What makes anyone think that we will draft any guards apart from the odd late day 3 pick?

We just drafted our handpicked interior OL in the last two years. As much as I'd like to get Brady better protection I dont see how we will invest even more draft resources into that position.

FA and y2 jumps is where people should look if they want G help..

What makes anyone think that we will draft any guards apart from the odd late day 3 pick?

We just drafted our handpicked interior OL in the last two years. As much as I'd like to get Brady better protection I dont see how we will invest even more draft resources into that position.

FA and y2 jumps is where people should look if they want G help..
I don't see Tre' Jackson as anything other than a back-up and Mason is a work in progress. Kline blows. So if the right talent is available, I can see guard being drafted.

I don't see Tre' Jackson as anything other than a back-up and Mason is a work in progress. Kline blows. So if the right talent is available, I can see guard being drafted.

I hope you are right. Drafting linesman has been a bottomless sinkhole the last three years. At this point I'd be more excited about solid, unspectacular FA signings.

I think we have to look on the Offensive side of the ball this draft. I would say:

-rb
-wr
-o-lineman
-te

those are not in any particular order, but I'd be happy if we draft any one of those above positions early and often. On defense, I think we are just looking at adding depth at cb, lb and d-line. Please, do not draft another safety this year!!!!!

I think we have to look on the Offensive side of the ball this draft. I would say:

-rb
-wr
-o-lineman
-te

those are not in any particular order, but I'd be happy if we draft any one of those above positions early and often. On defense, I think we are just looking at adding depth at cb, lb and d-line. Please, do not draft another safety this year!!!!!

Really, I would like to see bb sign one young veteran free agent at each of those positions.

Use his early draft picks for defense.

I hope you are right. Drafting linesman has been a bottomless sinkhole the last three years. At this point I'd be more excited about solid, unspectacular FA signings.
It has been a bottomless pit because they wait until the 4th round before drafting an offensive lineman.
All the good ones are gone by this time. Were Richards and Grissom worth more than the best available
offensive lineman? They haven't had Scarnecchia available the past two years to make Shinola out of
s**t.

Really, I would like to see bb sign one young veteran free agent at each of those positions.

Use his early draft picks for defense.
Young veteran free agents are very expensive if they are good. First priority has to be trying to extend
some of our own players like Butler, Ryan, Collins, Hightower, Jones, and Sheard. If any money is left
oven then try your plan. It may be all of our guys want to test free agency in 2017.

It has been a bottomless pit because they wait until the 4th round before drafting an offensive lineman.
All the good ones are gone by this time. Were Richards and Grissom worth more than the best available
offensive lineman? They haven't had Scarnecchia available the past two years to make Shinola out of
s**t.

Those players were handpicked by Scarnecchia so I really dont see your point. The dropoff from a OL player drafted on day 1 to a round 4 pick is so much smaller than dropoffs of LBs, DEs and other positions.

Dont see anything inherently wrong with what they have been doing the last few years in terms of drafting OL players. It didnt work out last year with our new wave of interior players but this was much more on coaching than the individual players.

Those players were handpicked by Scarnecchia so I really dont see your point. The dropoff from a OL player drafted on day 1 to a round 4 pick is so much smaller than dropoffs of LBs, DEs and other positions.

Dont see anything inherently wrong with what they have been doing the last few years in terms of drafting OL players. It didnt work out last year with our new wave of interior players but this was much more on coaching than the individual players.
The point to be learned is if you don't have a talented coach like Scarnecchia, you better provide
the coach with top notch players who can compete right away. For 15 years Scarnecchia was able
to get players to perform to the best of their ability. Assuming Scarnecchia returns, the Patriots
need an understudy so they are not in the same position in a couple of years.

The point to be learned is if you don't have a talented coach like Scarnecchia, you better provide the
coach with top notch players who can compete right away. Scarnecchia was able to get players to
perform to the best of their ability for 15 years. Assuming Scarnecchia returns, the Patriots need an
understudy so they are not in the same position in a couple of years.

Ironically, that is exactly what was supposed to happen in 2013.

Daboll was an understudy for Scarnecchia ror an entire year and the transition was planned. And then suddenly out of nowhere he became TE coach after Godsey left and they hired Googe as OL coach.

I still am completely clueless why Daboll be came TE coach back then and Caserio and BB threw away a year of experience like that.

If anything this was BB's biggest blunder of the lst few years.

Young veteran free agents are very expensive if they are good.

I do not think we need to sign top free agents. Instead we keep doing what we have been doing and sign second tier free agents to provide depth.

At wide receiver, we have three we can count on, but could use a veteran to provide Roth instead of developing a rookie.

Same for running back, tight end and offensive tackle.

Just something Im thinking about now...

I know fans are harping about picking up a new tackle, but what is everyone's opinion of moving Mike Williams there full time?

Maybe he's the long term Vollmer replacement?

I know Pats drafts are unpredictable, but this season tops that. I really don't have a single clue on what they might be really looking for. We know the OLine is the greatest concern, but do we know for sure if its a personal problem or a group that was injured and lacked experience down the stretch?

Just something Im thinking about now...

I know fans are harping about picking up a new tackle, but what is everyone's opinion of moving Mike Williams there full time?

Maybe he's the long term Vollmer replacement?

I know Pats drafts are unpredictable, but this season tops that. I really don't have a single clue on what they might be really looking for. We know the OLine is the greatest concern, but do we know for sure if its a personal problem or a group that was injured and lacked experience down the stretch?

Yeah, this pre-draft period does feel very nebulous because besides the offensive line there is no glaring need. And even there, injuries and coaching deserved a big part of the blame.

I do not think we will have an idea of what players they are looking at until we get the reports of players the team is working out.

Besides the OL, there are also glaring needs at WR, RB & Move TE.

I have to respectfully disagree on WR and move TE being glaring needs. They can sure be upgraded, and I would love for the team to find a compliment to Gronk, but to me RB is the one glaring need ATM other than OL.

Now with Mayo announcing retirement ... You are left with Hightower, Collins ,Freeney and Bostic. That's one Injury away from the Freeney show folks. Still feel like lb isnt a need?

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back