PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

TC evening session 7/29 observations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks psycho that was really good stuff.

Very glad to hear the parts on Tate and Kaczur especially.

My pleasure all.

Not sure how many times I can get out to practice, but will try to report every time I am able to attend. Next time will try to focus a little more on the DL, and what our issues are on defense.

Also forgot to add that Kraft was there yesterday afternoon with a bunch of VIP, and from what I saw, there is absolutely no animosity between Brady and Kraft, as far as body language goes. They talked at length on the field after practice. So from first hand observation, I am firmly convinced that there is no trouble- because if there was any degree of malcontent, I really don't think they would just stand there and chat for an extended period of time.

Also saw Michael Lombardi from NFLN- so he will probably be talking about yesterday on the NFL channel.

Do you guys think that Holt is likely be this year's Galloway? Vet WR with high expectations comes in, only to disappoint. I have no idea, just axing you experts.

Do you guys think that Holt is likely be this year's Galloway? Vet WR with high expectations comes in, only to disappoint. I have no idea, just axing you experts.

That was what came to my mind the moment Holt signed. But I'm a lot happier picturing Tate, Price & Patten stepping up into the role than Aiken last year.

I don't think so. The assumption with Galloway was he'd be a burner who needed route-work. Holt isn't fast, but he's quick and runs VERY good routes. Likely a better fit. If we have to take 6-8 yards a pass, that's just fine, lol.

I think Holt will make it if he's keen to.

I don't think so. The assumption with Galloway was he'd be a burner who needed route-work. Holt isn't fast, but he's quick and runs VERY good routes. Likely a better fit. If we have to take 6-8 yards a pass, that's just fine, lol.

I think Holt will make it if he's keen to.

Totally agree :) The question with Holt is separation, whereas with Galloway it was whether or not he could get on the same page as Brady.

I think Holt's got a good chance, as long as he can master the route trees quickly. There's little point in having him running fades/deep posts at this stage in his career.

If he's still 'got it' on the double moves and option routes, he should be an starter.

Last edited:
If he's still 'got it' on the double moves and option routes, he should be an starter.

Can you imagine a "still got it" Holt, Edelman, Moss and healthy Welker all on the same team, along with the promising sounds of Tate and even Price, added to Gronkowski and Hernandez and Faulk?

With that line-up you could almost have Ray Charles as your QB.

Last year Galloway came in as an deep threat to take heat of Moss and force the safety to play true, so he was projected as the #2/#3. Holt has far lesser expectations than that, being a route runner at this point in his career.

We have five gifted WR, so if BB elects to keep a veteran on the WR corp, it will come down to either Patten or Holt, with Patten having the edge.

Can you imagine a "still got it" Holt, Edelman, Moss and healthy Welker all on the same team, along with the promising sounds of Tate and even Price, added to Gronkowski and Hernandez and Faulk?

That's what it is shaping up to be. They are just marching into the EZ in red zone situational football. I do not recall that being the case last summer.

Last edited:
Great report!!:rocker:

It's good to have several poeple give reports because different sets of eyes see different things. Combine your very detailed report with Mrs. B's and others and it almost feels like I was there.

Attended evening session 7/29/10.

I wanted to primarily check out McCourty, check out our new TE’s, and see how Kaczur was handing LG.

First on the field, as others have reported was Mesko- it was hard not to be impressed by his work ethic- he was practicing his techniques, doing drops, and the balls always bounced in the right direction (forward). This kid is meticulous- I do not think we will be disappointed with this pick.

Welker on the field, no brace and no red shirt- was apparent he was not going to do anything. Probably holding him to just one session a day. Brace out of uniform- does not seem to be injured; was seen running sprints. May have flunked his physical.

Interesting tidbit: Thomas Welch is working out in long-snapping- he figures to be the LS backup which may help his odds in making the team.

As much as I wanted to watch the defense, they were on the far field (as they always seem to be) with BB. They were working on onside kick technique (resisting the temptation to pounce on the ball- let the second tier take care of that). A few DB’s were working on proper techniques (ball security) in recovering onside kicks. Could not observe much, other than onside drills and working on zone pass coverage out of the cover 2.

I was reminded of just how efficient the Patriots always seem to practice. They start off with light technique work, KR blocking drills (making sure no 2 blockers within 2 yards within each other = 15 yard penalty) which warms up their bodies for stretching and at the same time, they are going through technique- then stretching, then more intensive drills, e.g. bags.

Tate, McCourty, Edelman, Wheatley, Slater, Farnham, Price all working out at PR (JUGS). Was surprised to see Tate not wearing a brace on either knee. He looks sharp and 100%. Great acceleration, good explosion, good separation speed, clean breaks. This man definitely has the wheels and the hands, catches outside his frame, leverages well. He is probably going to be the #2 WR until Welker returns, and will probably project to #3. Of all the groups to pare down by season, I think the most difficult is going to be WR, because that corp is loaded. Was surprised to see Patten still has his speed. Holt looks sharp too, not a vertical threat but looks to be more of technical route runner which plays into Brady’s anal approach to pattern running. I know people are in love with Buddy Farnham on this board, but I was not impressed. Everyone loves “Rudy”, but Farnham is just out of place. He is just a very long shot to make the roster, unfortunately. Does not accelerate enough and has no snap in his breaks.

Watching Jam and bag drills after stretching and sprints. Chung continues to whoop everyone, and Moss is clearly the leader of the WR team. He led the sprint to the single coverage drill- and this is where I got some very pleasant surprises.

First, McCourty is good as advertised, perhaps even more. I was confused when we first drafted him, but now am firmly convinced we have a very solid CB corp- getting very excited about this. Flips his hips very fast, transitions well, runs backwards almost as fast. Long arms, great feet, great intangibles. There was one sick rep he took in single coverage- big cushion on Price, picked him up, but lost him in transition, but since his hips were so fluid, he located fast and accelerated to deny Price the long pass. This can only be a good sign.

Now, the biggest surprise was Chung in coverage- I have to tell you that the man has really improved. I was basically stunned. Last year you could not leave him on an island, but now I see what Caserio was talking about when he discussed who made the big leap in year two. Chung has basically taken a big leap here. Granted this is TC, but I saw massive improvements in technique, angle, and leverage. He really closes in on his man once the pass is airborne.

This is where we got the rash of injuries- Slater pulled his left calf, Lockett has at least a bruised shoulder. Meriweather got shaken up, but was able to get out of there under his power.

And again I was reminded of just how easy Moss makes everything look. While “jogging” a deep in, he juked Butler right into the ground. That had the crowd laughing. It is just so easy for an uneducated spectator to characterize him as someone who takes plays off, because he really looks it sometimes. He is just so deceiving and deceptive.

Formation drills:

Hernandez used a lot in motion as you would guess, he also lined up at FB, slot, flanker (yes!). The one thing I really like about Hernandez is that he has a YAC mentality- every time he made a catch, he was always turning up the field, no matter what the circumstance was, if the play was dead, or if there was someone over the top or nobody there. If nobody was there, he would still just juke and fake.

First look at Zac Robinson- good footwork, solid technique, nice follow through- release has pop, ball has nice tight spirals. Have to see what he does under fire- although in situational football, he muffled a snap from Wendell and both of them had to run a lap.

Field was divided in half, a lot going on, one side had 3-4, other had 4-3 with Cunningham in elephant. Damien Lewis taking significant reps alongside Pryor in the 4 man front- watching him- seems fundamentally sound. I think he has the inside line on making the roster.
In 3-4, of course spikes is in Sam and seems to be working there exclusively, having problems in coverage and was lost on a few plays. Surprised to see Fletcher in WILB as he was projecting to OLB- this doesn’t really leave our OLB weak, but we do not have many options there.

Situational football:

Plenty of juicy stuff here. Was interesting to see Gronk check in as eligible lineman (weakside) where he took an easy TD pass over Chung and there was even one formation where Crump and Gronk was side by side. I don’t know if I should disclose any more on formations or plays… don’t really want to make trouble for this forum.

This was where I had an opportunity to watch Kaczur. I will tell you this much: he is a solid fill in. Not spectacular, but solid. He has made the transition to LG well. He has the assignments down, the technique down (smaller steps, low launch), and pulls well and shoots the gaps good and had a good stone on a strong side pull. However what he lacks is leverage because he is the wrong size- Bruschi talked about this and talks about how he would get his helmet under Kaczur and blow him up and that is what Wright did on one play. He will get blown up by smaller linemen, but he will buy time- so that is fine for me.. however, definitely NOT a long term solution there.

The last play of situational football was a 212 Ace personnel in 2x2 with Hernandez in motion (out of 3x1)- it was a fake run play and a quick slant to Hernandez in the end zone. Chung smelled the fake and was in the right place at the right time, but Hernandez ripped the pass out of his hands. Chung was really frustrated- you have to love his attitude. I think he is the backbone of the DB’s. He really plays like Rodney Harrison- took a cheap shot at Edelman.

Awesome, awesome, awesome write up! Thank you!!! Please keep it coming, because this was absolutely fantastic. Alot of great nuggets here.

Great Stuff! I really enjoy reading reports by forum members rather than espn or nfl-n.

A bit off topic. I'm thinking of attending maybe 1 day. Are tickets required and if so, how much? Where can I get them?

Thanks

Last year Galloway came in as an deep threat to take heat of Moss and force the safety to play true, so he was projected as the #2/#3. Holt has far lesser expectations than that, being a route runner at this point in his career.

We have five gifted WR, so if BB elects to keep a veteran on the WR corp, it will come down to either Patten or Holt, with Patten having the edge.

Psycho, thanks for the info, great post.
But I think you're wrong here. I think Holt has the advantage. Last year he caught more than 800 yards, if I'm not mistaken, from David Garrard. I think he'll be the one on the roster. But then again, I didn't go to TC like you did, so...

Is Ray Charles restricted or unrestricted? I would like to see him as our K/P. I keep picturing some great coffin kicks.

Great observations :) I am loving the threads of what fans see :)

Patten having the edge over Holt?

Patten having the edge over Holt?

From what little I saw, yes. Will be going again this afternoon and if there is an opportunity, I will pay close attention to that.

There is an error in my first post.. Spikes was working exclusively in Mike, not Sam. No idea why I wrote that.

From what little I saw, yes. Will be going again this afternoon and if there is an opportunity, I will pay close attention to that.

To me it looked like Holt was second as far as reps behind Moss this morning. And I feel he has gotten more reps in camp. I like you was impressed by what Patten has left but I still think Holt likely has the edge but I would agree these two would seemingly be fighting for the same role vet back up. Holt has the overall pedegree but Patten has the system knowledge. and this all assumes they carry 6 WR as Moss, Welker, Tate, Edelman, and Price are your 5. I think they will carry 6 and maybe 7 or 8 between aiken and slater but that is STs and another conversation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back