PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tanguay with Indy Star's Greg Doyel on the ineligible formation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gresh is leaving?

Yes, after the Super Bowl. I updated the link in my post (it was pointing to the comments section of the article) and underlined it.

Caught me by surprise, too...

http://www.boston.com/sports/touchi...resh_to_leave_the_sports_hub_after_super.html

I wasn't fan of Gresh, but this has the makings of a downgrade. No offense to Bertrand, but Gresh and Zolak did have a comfortable chemistry that the station is now screwing with.
It's definitely a downgrade. Gresh was kind of an idiot, but he was an idiot that knew football, something that's in short supply over there. Now they give Zo his very own Maz.

I'm sorry, but since when is running a new formation going against the spirit of the rules?

http://www.profootballhof.com/history/decades/1960s/shotgun.aspx

Can I suppose in 1960 when the 49'ers used the first shotgun formation to beat the Baltimore Colts (mild irony) that there were whiny accusations of cheating then too?

anything the Patriots do successfully is often change with a rule in future years. Remember, we man-handled the "Greatest Show on Turf" and now you cant even look at a WR without a flag. Watch Seattle games and watch our games. The Seahawks beat the crap out of anyone going out for a pass, and there are not a lot of flags thrown...while Browner and even Revis are getting flagged often.

Love him or hate him, Jerry Thornton had a nice response to Doyel earlier today.

(Side note: weei.com site has a bit of a glitch in it: there's no place to click for 'older posts' right now, which means if you didn't see this earlier, too bad for you.)

Thornography >> Indy sports columnist says Tom Brady is good, but Bill Belichick is evil

Wow. All I can say is wow. And I thought Boston had some lazy, untalented, trolling hacks. If this is what passes for a sports column in Indianapolis, I owe some writers in this town an apology handwritten in cursive and maybe a nice Edible Arrangement or something because this guy makes Dan Shaughnessy read like David Halberstam.

Now as far as Bill Belichick being history’s greatest monster, things like running up the score and the obligatory Spygate reference (which was actually in Week 1 of the 2007 season, but I get how when you’re trolling, some stories are just too good to look up), those are some strong words coming from a writer who covers a team that was caught piping crowd noise over their dome’s PA system, who’s team owner was caught driving trashed out of his gourd on booze and pills with $29-grand in cash on him, and who tanked a season in order to get the number one draft pick. And who, by the way, lives in a community that covered up for Marvin Harrison when he was involved in the shooting of multiple people including a child.

And did I mention Colts’ linebacker Josh McNary got charged with rape Wednesday? I didn’t? Well never mind. Let’s focus on the important things like the Patriots scoring too many points for Doyel’s liking seven years ago.

At least this steaming pile of click-bait does one thing. It makes the Boston sports media look better than I ever thought possible.​
Who could hate Old Man Thornton? He ain't no Jenna Marbles.

The Seahawks beat the crap out of anyone going out for a pass, and there are not a lot of flags thrown...while Browner and even Revis are getting flagged often.

comes down to ref crew assignments...and by association, NFL offices.

Doyel has written anti pats articles before on cbssports.com so its not surprising.Sad part is our own media likes BB being trashed so they just laugh it off.

It's definitely a downgrade. Gresh was kind of an idiot, but he was an idiot that knew football, something that's in short supply over there. Now they give Zo his very own Maz.

I always found Gresh's football knowledge underwhelming for someone in his position, but he could at least get into some of the nitty gritty with Zo' and the guests. Bertrand comes off as more of a 'facilitator with a take' to me, and that's not what Zolak needs, IMO. It looks to me as if 98.5 is letting personality issues ruin the only show they have that's really worth listening to.

I heard the rumors that Gresh was leaving this morning. Didn't believe it was true. Gresh has grown on me over the years. Didn't really like him for a long time, but he has grown into the role. He and Zo were the only guys on terrestrial radio in this town who could actually talk Patriots on a consistent basis. Most of the other guys love to talk about low hanging fruit hot button Patriots topics, but nothing with a lot of act Xs and Os.

Beatle is usually the only guy you don't want to kill on Felger and Mazz and does a good job on the weekends with Gasper. I guess now that Gresh lost a ton of weight, they needed a new fat guy to sit with Zolak.

Last edited:
I wonder whether Brady was being literal in

Now the reporter is wasting Brady's time. Asks if Brady has read the book "Unbroken," which has been made into a movie of the same name. Brady looks at the guy, smiles some more, and extricates himself by aiming a remark not at the media dolt but himself.

"Everyone tells me I need to read that, but my ADD doesn't let me read a lot of books," Brady says, then smiles and leaves for the field, a winning quarterback with a winning way who somehow hasn't been infected by the losing personality of his longtime coach.

I'm pretty sure he doesn't read much; he's said that before. But while the ADD doesn't seem to at all fit with what he know of him, mental health diagnoses can be very odd things.

I sort of remember him from CBSsportsline. I didn't realize Greg Boyle was still alive, much less writing sports columns still. Way to stay relevant with the "I hate BB" demographic.

As for me, I'll stick with the opinions on here. Its all condensed to one website, and its more readable than anything I remember Boyle writing. Does Pete Bristlo also spout his "I hate BB" schtick on some dark corner of the web still, also?

awww i'll miss gresh.

I do agree that him and zo were the best at ACTUALLY talking football, but I still love felger and mazz. get at me. i'm an everyday listener. they have a good enough balance of sports talk and personality.

toucher and rich, on the hand, talk about sports for like a minute every 2 hours

I always found Gresh's football knowledge underwhelming for someone in his position, but he could at least get into some of the nitty gritty with Zo' and the guests. Bertrand comes off as more of a 'facilitator with a take' to me, and that's not what Zolak needs, IMO. It looks to me as if 98.5 is letting personality issues ruin the only show they have that's really worth listening to.
I'm not saying that Gresh is a genius by any mean, but when you stack him up against Maz and some of those other clowns, he comes off positively Bellichickian.

I don't have high hopes for Beetle. Sadly, the competition features the Creature from Pittsburgh, so I guess it's nothing for me till after 2.

I've reached the point where instead of defending the team, I just want them to piss everybody off as much as possible.

I hope we start running these formations all the way to Arizona, with Patriot garbed cameramen all over the place, riding around on a snowplow that's blaring "I don't want to lose your love tonight."

With multiple Don Shula references thrown in for good measure in between quarters, just to push things over the top.

Cool. Let's use it against everybody so they get nice and mad.

I've reached the point where instead of defending the team, I just want them to piss everybody off as much as possible.

I hope we start running these formations all the way to Arizona, with Patriot garbed cameramen all over the place, riding around on a snowplow that's blaring "I don't want to lose your love tonight."

Dag nab it, I want to vote more then once for this quote.

This guy is getting a lot of play, and maybe he should not.. otoh we all listen to a bunch of contrarians around here daily..

Haters are going to hate..

We really need to win another SB to shut the spygate people up. I'll be angry if those people forever get to have that "0 SBs since spygate" line.

I think Doyle made himself look a little stupid but he handled it well, and he wasn't really incorrect, we're all Patriots' fans here and should get it by now.

People hate us because of BB and that we win, thought, most extend their hate to Brady, probably because of his fame and success as well. I don't know why the hosts had a hard time grasping that. Doyle said nothing that hasn't been said a thousand times and he was probably even more tolerable by saying that it's ONLY BB in his eyes and not NE the team or Brady.

We can call the Spygate argument stupid all we want but it will never go away, as long as we're successful it gives those who use it as a crutch to attempt to end any argument by simply using one word.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back