PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Talent threshhold for re-doing contract a year early

Status
Not open for further replies.

shakadave

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I could use a refresher list of Patriots who in the BB era were re-signed a year before their contract was to expire.

What I'm getting at is, how good do you have to be to get "done" a year early? Brady and Seymour, OK. Maybe Branch isn't in this league!

I suppose there would be apples and oranges in such a comparison. For example, reworking a deal because the player is in the long-term plans and deserves more (e.g. Brady) vs. reworking because of a phony high salary in the last year of the old contract (e.g. Vrabel, I think?)

Light
Green
Faulk
Willie
Bruschi

Certainly Branch is on a par with many on this list.

Now the next question is, Who are some of the best players in the BB era who played the last year of their old contract and THEN successfully negotiated new contracts to stay with the Pats?

shakadave said:
Certainly Branch is on a par with many on this list.
It's also worth looking at the contract to see if they signed for a little below market value (like Tedy definitely did). Just looking at those who re-signed is only a partial excercise. They would clearly re-sign Branch now - but at their price.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that Bledsoe, Vrabel and Milloy also belong on this list.

Miguel said:
Absolutely!!

Miguel said:

I assume you mean the original list who re-signed one year early.

As for the second list I'm hoping to drum up, how often do we let a good player finish the old contract, then still re-do a new one? If it's rare, then we shouldn't have gotten our hopes up this spring with Givens, for example. (I know, many fans didn't.) If it's rare, then we should consider Branch and Graham gone if we don't re-sign them by this summer.

It isn't about talent really. For the right deal, I think that they would resign any player with more than a year left on his contract.

dhamz said:
It isn't about talent really. For the right deal, I think that they would resign any player with more than a year left on his contract.
not if they didn't want him the following year....

spacecrime said:
not if they didn't want him the following year....

If we were talking a TO type they just wanted gone.

If a player they just don't think was going to make it was willing to sign a 5 year extension for the minimum with no guarenteed $ and no bonuses the team would do it. Then they cut him if he doesn't make the team but have him under their control long term if he does.

No player in their right mind would take that deal but if one would, the team would accept it.

For the right deal the team would extend anyone.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes