PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

T. Owens visits and signs 1 year deal with Bills [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Couple of thoughts on this.

1. TO would never have signed with the Bills if there was any other interest in him.

2. Bills season tickets sales have been slow which is a sign that the fanbase is starting to wake up and not support a losing team.

3. Signing TO gives the Bills fans hope that things will change, and season ticket sales will start to go up.

4. With that offense and Edwards or Losman as QB, maybe an improvement to 8-8, but I doubt it. They were lucky to go 7-9, the Raiders should have won game 2.

5. I have to believe that the Patriots will be ready to deal with TO on this team.

O'Neal is not on roster.

Super Bowl 39: Owens - 9 catches, 122 yds, no scores while playing with a bad leg and working against Randal Gay, a solid yet unspectacular CB who spent most of his time as a reserve for NE. I'm truly not worried about Owens against Hobbs & Co. - it's not like they never get to work against decent WRs.

You're not worried about Hobbs & Co.? Were you seeing a different team than I was last year? 9 catches, 122 yards with a bad leg against a bad CB is nothing that worries you? I truly think you are downplaying how good this guy is.

I don't think we have the defense to "beat up on him"...I do not see Deltha O'Neal, Wilhite, Hobbs, Sanders, or Wheatley being able to cover this guy. Let's face it. TO is what he is. He's fast, he's big, he gets open, he makes plays. See the Super Bowl a couple of years ago. A locker room cancer? Sure. But man can he make plays. Haven't we learned anything about our own "cancer" that came to Foxborough a few years back? Moss was supposed to be some idiot, loser, whining jerk. He turned his act around and is now one of the greatest receivers in the NFL. If anything, I see TO as a MAJOR upgrade to the Bills offense, regardless if Tom Brady or Cleo Lemon is throwing the guy the ball. Fact is, the Bills got better while our defense has remained the same, if not gotten worse this offseason.

Can't wait for the draft to make some moves because the Jets got a lot better on defense and the Bills now have a stud playmaker. In BB We Trust.

Moss entered a very different environment than the one TO will. Jauron almost lost his job last season, and part of that had to do with his mind numbing in game decisions. The Bill's are a young team looking for an identity who has struggled down the stretch. They have a young QB who has shown flashes of brilliance and stretches of mediocrity - inconsistency in QB play one of TO's many triggers. He may add a TD a game, that's been what he's brought to AFC tilts the last few seasons. We beat Buffalo by more than 7 points both times with Cassel at the helm in 2008. TO's played his entire career in the NFC. The AFC is a whole other universe.

I expected our AFC competitors to all take a step back this season. The JETS brought in the impact player last season, and we saw how that played out down the stretch. Their defense may improve but they have no viable starting QB and thanks to Brett no developed offense and we have Brady. Miami's wildcat ran out of gas down the stretch in 2008. Teams with a full off season to further dissect it will leave the Dolphins at the mercy of our old pal Noodle.

The other 3 AFCE teams had a window handed to them in the first quarter of week 1. They couldn't take advantage of the opportunity. They window is again shut. Each of them will struggle to get to 10 wins. And if Buffalo isn't in the hunt come week 10-12, TO will be a sideshow. Get your popcorn ready.

TO is in Buffalo for one reason only. They were the only team foolish enough to give him a guaranteed contract, nevermind for more than he was scheduled to make in Dallas, the last team to make that mistake. Something we didn't do for Randy or Corey. Comparing the two situations is beyond apples and oranges.

Re: T.Owens visits and signs 1 year deal with Bills (merged)

T.O. is going to do a lot for the Bills offense...a lot more than just catch passes and score TDs in a vacuum. He's going to help open up our entire offense. Defenses are going to have to decide whether to double-cover him or Evans. Last year, defenses would often just take away Evans by double covering him. After him there wasn't too much else; Josh Reed is a good receiver, but he belongs in the slot. His play will step up.

So with Evans freed up on single coverage, he is dangerous. And, yes folks, Edwards is perfectly capable of throwing a beautiful deep ball. For whatever reason, he didn't attempt many last year...but believe it or not, he has completed more balls thrown over 40 yards than Peyton Manning has over the past 2 seasons. Peyton Manning has completed 0 passes thrown over 40 yards in the air over the past 2 years. Tom Brady dinked and dunked teams to death at the beginning of his career. The point is that Edwards CAN go deep - I've seen him do it and do it well. I still think that Edwards can develop into a very good QB...he still has a winning record on a team that hasn't been the best. He hasn't had very much to work with until now, either. Give him a nice tight end outlet and watch out.

With Owens on the team, teams aren't going to be able to so easily shut down our passing attack and be able to stack 8 men in the box against the run. Lynch will probably get suspended for a couple of games, but when he comes back, it will be to a much better situation. He'll look a lot better. Owens will help our run game.

If we can shore up our offensive line a little and get a tight end, we could actually be pretty solid on offense all the way around.

I take back waht I said about wanting him...this guy is a selfish, spoiled, pouty, stupid a$shole and I am glad he's not on our team.

A lot of people were saying the exact same thing about Randy Moss.

I'm a Bills fan.

Over the past 2 seasons, T.O. has caught one less touchdown pass than our entire team combined. He's caught more touchdown passes than ANYBODY over the past three seasons. His numbers were better than Lee Evans' last year and almost the exact same as your boy, Randy Moss. Say what you want about him, but the man can still play football at a very high level and put points on the board.

T.O. is going into his 14th season. Jerry Rice went to Oakland in his 17th season and played at a high level there for a couple of years, actually helping them to the Super Bowl in his 18th season in the league. He played 21 years. My point is not that the Bills are now going to the Super Bowl, but that top-notch receivers can last a long time if they keep themselves properly conditioned, which T.O. does. Anybody that thinks that our team isn't instantly better by having T.O. is crazy. Better than they were.

I never really cared for T.O., but I'm glad the Bills got him. The perception of him (especially in the media) is probably worse than what he actually does. The media waits for him to do ANYTHING, and they love to blow things out of proportion.

yeah, so why did they outright cut his ass after one year of a new deal?

also, all this eagles superbowl talk is crackin' me the eff up.

you guys DO realize we played him a little more recently, right.....or does that dallas game just not fit in w/whatever point it is you were trying to make, so you skip over it?
I believe the score was 48-27......
(w/one of those dallas td's being on defense)

Last edited:
I am looking forward to seeing Moss opposite Owens in a good old high powerd td fest. With us on the winning end of course

I'm not freaking out, but I am less than thrilled that TO is in the division. I console myself by imagining that Rosenhaus/TO approached the Pats and that BB just laughed and said GFY! Then pulled his anti-TO game plan out of his pocket - that he had of course already whipped up "just in case" once TO's release from Dallas was announced!

Last edited:
I LOVE it when the AFCE gets more interesting. Truth be told Lord Favre cost us the playoffs last season with his horrific though typical blizzard of mindless picks to
Just End The Season.

Last edited:

Owens, I love Welker but he is always open because Moss demands so much coverage. Give Owens one on ones and he wont be getting first downs, he'll be doing funny dances in the end zone.

Is he dancing with the ball or is the ball back at the 20 where he dropped it? How many balls did Welker drop last year?

You're not worried about Hobbs & Co.? Were you seeing a different team than I was last year? 9 catches, 122 yards with a bad leg against a bad CB is nothing that worries you? I truly think you are downplaying how good this guy is.
Not particularly.

Probably, I'm often confused as to what game my fellow posters were watching and I imagine it's mutual - at least for those who can suffer confusion vice those with rock solid certainty.

Nope, it's Belichick history 101, which player can you let run hog wild and which player must be contained, e.g. Bills v. Giants, Superbowl defensive gameplan enshrined in Canton.

I truly think you're overplaying the difference one star player can make, e.g. Simpson, O.J.; Sanders, Barry.

yeah, so why did they outright cut his ass after one year of a new deal?

also, all this eagles superbowl talk is crackin' me the eff up.

you guys DO realize we played him a little more recently, right.....or does that dallas game just not fit in w/whatever point it is you were trying to make, so you skip over it?
I believe the score was 48-27......
(w/one of those dallas td's being on defense)

You honest don't know the point I was trying to make? I thought I was pretty clear. The Bills are a better team with Owens on it. Period.

I don't care too much about the perceived controversy, either. A lot of his Dallas teammates stuck up for him and defended him this week. They like him. They know him. We don't. So he gets riled up sometimes and yells at people sometimes. So what? The Bills probably actually need some of that. A lot of players probably have a lot of the same thoughts as T.O., but they keep it to themselves. I don't remember him publicly calling anybody out recently. Sometimes people react to the reputation, not the man.

And why on Earth would you bring up the Dallas game from 2007? To "prove" that Owens is no threat? What kind of ridiculous conclusion is THAT to draw? The Cowboys scored 27 points on the Pats, which is enough to beat a lot of teams. It sounds more like Dallas dropped the ball DEFENSIVELY in that game, which has absolutely nothing to do with T.O. The Pats were running up the score on everyone that year anyway, until they lost the Super Bowl that is. Owens scored a TD in that game.

Well, by your way of thinking, the Dolphins beat the Patriots 13-38 this year and held Randy Moss to 25 yards and no scores...so does this mean that Moss sucks or at least no threat to the Dolphins? Same conclusion to your warped thought process.

Owens scored more receiving TDs than anybody over the past three years. Like I said before, he scored one less receiving TD than our entire team combined over the past two years. Even IF he is declining, he has been scoring more than any other receiver. Putting points on the board is what it's all about. He makes the Bills better. TO is annoying to a lot of people, but I don't think anybody takes him seriously enough to allow him to drag down an entire team, no matter what you see on TV. And we have no idea what happens behind closed doors. He is still friends with Donovan McNabb, and a lot of his former teammates like him. I don't see many (if any, maybe Garcia) talk nasty about him. Most of the negative things come from the media...his teammates have mostly good things to say about him.

Last edited:
This board is so funny sometimes.

I can't see how seeing our division opponents add a good player is a good thing. For those thinking he's going to cause issues in their locker room, it's wishful thinking. It's far more likely he'll keep himself in check for this one year tryout.

Everyone is bringing up the Favre move to the Jets as some kind of evidence that this doesn't work. The reality is that we probably would have made the playoffs last year if Favre doesn't go to the Jets, both because it made the Jets better (and they did beat us remember) and the Dolphins better.

Does anyone genuinely think it's better for TO to go to the Bills than, say, the 49ers? Not me.

Does anyone genuinely think it's better for TO to go to the Bills than, say, the 49ers? Not me.

I understand what you're saying, but I like the idea of the division getting fierce, personally. It will be another notch in BB's belt when we win it.

Again, apples and oranges. **** Jauron is no Bill Belichick. Trent Edwards is no Tom Brady. We had veteran leaders with character 12 deep in that locker room who were prepared to keep Moss on point. And we figured to win enough games to keep the chemistry balanced. Guys with 2 and 3 and 5 rings to flash in his direction at the first sign of anything. And he cried and took a paycut for just a shot to play here.

Can you say with any convivction you have anything approaching that in place in Buffalo?

Unfortunately this signing just smacks of desperation, the kind the JETS exhibited last season. Cost their HC his job. Put fannies in seats, but that was short lived, just another tease, and those fannies are still debating the value of buying PSL's from Woody Johnson. Buffalo fans know there is a better than even chance the Bill's will be selling PSL's somewhere other than Buffalo in the next 2-3 years.

I guarantee you if Brady to Moss upstages Edwards to Owens, there will be chaos in Buffalo by week 10. Irrespective of W-L record or standings at the time too. Because the difference between Moss and Owens is Randy just wants to play for a winning organization and win a championship ring. TO has to be the reason his team wins, and he will not bear any of the blame if they don't. He's worn out his wecome on teams with more competitive position, and more established QB's and more respected coaches. And through it all he's never owned his own behavior. Never had to because some sucker always came along and bailed him out. Buffalo is just the sucker du jour.

Get your popcorn ready. But if you're a Bills fan, grab a case of Peptp Bismol to wash it down with.

Again, apples and oranges. **** Jauron is no Bill Belichick. Trent Edwards is no Tom Brady. We had veteran leaders with character 12 deep in that locker room who were prepared to keep Moss on point. And we figured to win enough games to keep the chemistry balanced. Guys with 2 and 3 and 5 rings to flash in his direction at the first sign of anything. And he cried and took a paycut for just a shot to play here.

Can you say with any convivction you have anything approaching that in place in Buffalo?

Unfortunately this signing just smacks of desperation, the kind the JETS exhibited last season. Cost their HC his job. Put fannies in seats, but that was short lived, just another tease, and those fannies are still debating the value of buying PSL's from Woody Johnson. Buffalo fans know there is a better than even chance the Bill's will be selling PSL's somewhere other than Buffalo in the next 2-3 years.

I guarantee you if Brady to Moss upstages Edwards to Owens, there will be chaos in Buffalo by week 10. Irrespective of W-L record or standings at the time too. Because the difference between Moss and Owens is Randy just wants to play for a winning organization and win a championship ring. TO has to be the reason his team wins, and he will not bear any of the blame if they don't. He's worn out his wecome on teams with more competitive position, and more established QB's and more respected coaches. And through it all he's never owned his own behavior. Never had to because some sucker always came along and bailed him out. Buffalo is just the sucker du jour.

Get your popcorn ready. But if you're a Bills fan, grab a case of Peptp Bismol to wash it down with.

Hard to argue with that. Excellent post.

That says it best.....Jauron was tripping over himself with mistakes last year..with TO?? Most likely there will be an outbreak of craziness quickly..

Again, apples and oranges. **** Jauron is no Bill Belichick. Trent Edwards is no Tom Brady.

You are the one comparing apples to oranges. We aren't talking about coaches or QBs; we are talking about a receiver. Randy Moss IS a T.O. They are superstars with an attitude. Moss might be a slightly better player (they have different styles), but he might actually be more of a douchebag, historically speaking. Maybe, that is. Owens has never been in trouble with the law, for example. Moss deliberately hit a cop with his car...wouldn't listen to her. According to him, he was misquoted when he said that the Marshall plane crash was "nothing big." 75 people died. How about the time he left the field before the game was over? I didn't think it was a big deal, but how about the time he mock-mooned the Packers fans in the playoffs? Got fined for it. Publicly telling people that he smoked weed on occasion? How about his total lack of effort at times? He actually said in an interview, "I play when I want to play." How about when he was accused of violence against that girl during the 2007 playoffs? True or not, this had to be a distraction to him if not the team. The Patriots lost the Super Bowl.

We had veteran leaders with character 12 deep in that locker room who were prepared to keep Moss on point. And we figured to win enough games to keep the chemistry balanced. Guys with 2 and 3 and 5 rings to flash in his direction at the first sign of anything. And he cried and took a paycut for just a shot to play here.

He took a paycut for a year...a year in which the Patriots won every single game in the regular season, were consistantly 21 point favorites, had the best QB in the game, and made it to the Super Bowl. Who WOULD complain? But that doesn't change Moss' basic character or who he is. T.O. in a similar situation would be a saint, which is basically what you said, but an A-hole that is keeping his mouth shut is still an A-hole. Do you mean to suggest that a successful A-hole is no longer an A-hole, or do you mean to suggest that it's OK to be an A-hole if you keep your mouth shut? It's all about perception anyway.

That doesn't matter. The Bills have nothing to lose in this and everything to gain. They'll win at least two more games with T.O. on the team. At least. TO's drive to win is the thing that mostly gets him into trouble...that along with his mouth and theatrics, of course. We only have him for a year at this point, and that's a good thing.

Unfortunately this signing just smacks of desperation, the kind the JETS exhibited last season. Cost their HC his job. Put fannies in seats, but that was short lived, just another tease, and those fannies are still debating the value of buying PSL's from Woody Johnson.

This is nothing like the Jets signing Favre. When the Dolphins picked up Pennington as a result, I knew they were better helped by this than the Jets were by getting Favre. QB is more important than WR by a longshot. After one year, the Jets have no QB...they had no back up plan because Mangini put all his eggs in one basket to save his job. Meanwhile, the Bills have T.O. for only one year. Evans is still our #1, technically anyway. We got the 4th receiver in the draft last year...James Hardy, the guy we targeted and wanted more than the ones taken before him. We also have a guy by the name of Steve Johnson, who has shown promise. We have guys with potential to fall back on, and there is always next year's free agency. We are talking about the #2 WR here.

Sure the move was based in part on a marketing ploy to get some disgruntled fans back in seat, but it will probably work. Then again, some people dislike T.O. so much that they won't come to the game because of that. Then again, we are a better team with T.O., and that is why he's here. Pretty simple.

Buffalo fans know there is a better than even chance the Bill's will be selling PSL's somewhere other than Buffalo in the next 2-3 years..

Them's fightin' words, and the Bills fans know no such thing. For your information, the Bills are locked into a deal to play in a game in Toronto for the next four years. There is little chance of the Bills moving to Toronto after the death of Ted Rogers, and there are other teams more likely to move to L.A. than the Bills. After Ralph Wilson dies, the future of the Bills is uncertain, but there are A LOT of people that interested in keeping the team in Buffalo. A lot.

Brady to Moss has nothing to do with Edwards to Owens. T.O. doesn't just want to win games? Sure he wants the ball as all WRs should, but I don't agree that he complains about not getting the ball enough after a win. He might complain about that after a loss, but not a win. I've heard him say that he doesn't care about his own stats as long as the team wins several times. The guy is a football player, not a rocket scientist...but he's not a complete idiot.

LOL. How I'd love to knock the Patriots' ass in the grass.

Last edited:

The difference is that Randy Moss was rumored to be distant, aloof, and not into all the media BS (much like our coach). TO, as you can see in the link I provided, is a DOCUMENTED primadonna who has napalmed every bridge he's come across. Come on...parking in handicapped spots and refusing to open playbooks or talk to OC's just because he wanted more money? Pathetic.

People in Minnesota still like and respect Randy Moss (Oakland is another story, but that is a franchise thing, not a Moss thing). People in SF, Philly, and Dallas are all THRILLED TO is gone and have nothing but disdain for the way he has caused trouble and whined about whatever was the topic du jour (Garcia being gay, Donovan's SB antics, Romo liking Witten more).

The Bills are going to collapse in on themselves like a dying star.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore