PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

T. Owens visits and signs 1 year deal with Bills [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for being reasonable.

I don't think that anybody on your team has said it, but a lot of the general perception out there in the media and fanbase has completely scapegoated Owens as the Cowboys' main problem...or the Eagles'...or maybe even the 49ers. Such is not the case. Those teams have had several other problems.

People demonize Owens and blame him for ALL the team's problems sometimes. But the 49ers or the Eagles did not become better teams without him. They didn't see more success as far as I can remember. T.O. is an easy person to lay the blame on; now you don't have that outlet anymore.

And Wade Phillips is not the stand up and take charge type of person. It's not really necessary to be that type of guy to be successful, but the fact remains that he isn't. He's been criticized for being too laid back in Buffalo as well. Part of the reason why we let him go was because his buddy was the special teams coach, and he refused to fire him. We were the worst special teams in the league that year I think, and then the Music City Miracle happened. I guess he WAS standing up for himself that time, but for all the wrong reasons if you want to win ballgames. Also, we decided to go with Rob Johnson instead of Doug Flutie (who played the whole season except the last game and got us to that point) in the Music City Miracle. Stupid. I still think the Bills would have made it to the Super Bowl that year if Flutie was playing. We had the #1 defense, if I remember correctly. I heard it was Ralph Wilson's choice by a lot of credible sources to start Johnson, though.

I'm not sure who you are going to replace T.O. with and I know Roy Williams didn't really work out for you last year. You have to wonder how much of Romo's success had to do with T.O. And that whole Jessica Simpson thing...

One thing is for sure. The Cowboys can not use T.O. as an excuse anymore.

The Niners hurt themselves tremendously when they drafted Alex Smith #1 overall. As we all know, drafting horrible QBs will set your franchise back a good 4-5 years.

The Eagles actually have picked up their pieces just fine. They won the NFCE the year after they got rid of Owens, and were 3 pts away from advancing to the NFCCG. And they did it with a backup QB, a scrub SS b/c their unhappy starter got benched, their #1 starting CB *and* nickel back missing several weeks b/c of injury, and their best pass rusher missing the entire year. And, of course, they made it to the NFCCG this last year.

As for Wade and horrible STs-you got me there. Defensive coaches usually put alot of emphasis on STs...but why Wade's unit has always played horribly, I dunno.

Last edited:
Another missed opportunity for the Pats. Yet another team in the division gets better as the Pats do little to improve this offseason. Who is going to cover him? Shawn Springs? Give me a break!

Better watch out for Skip Bayless on ESPN's First Take-he's notorious for being the world's biggest Cowboys hater, yes. However-he's also the world's biggest TO-hater to boot.

Even when TO was with the Eagles(a team Bayless is always in their jockstraps), he still was consistent in his daily bashings of him.

Skippy Sackless is as annoying as T.O. at his worst every single day.

Another missed opportunity for the Pats. Yet another team in the division gets better as the Pats do little to improve this offseason. Who is going to cover him? Shawn Springs? Give me a break!

With the drops he had last year. Perhaps we don't need to :rolleyes:

The Niners hurt themselves tremendously when they drafted Alex Smith #1 overall. As we all know, drafting horrible QBs will set your franchise back a good 4-5 years.

You are right about that. Then, of course, you always have mobs of people making excuses for that QB's play, which prolongs the process of getting rid of him...the coaches didn't handle him properly, he doesn't have much to work with, he needs more time to develop, it's not his fault, so on and so forth, and blah, blah, blah. A good QB is the most important thing to have. Of course you can overcome having merely a good QB...a game manager...but the QB is the main man.

The Patriots are a team that actually completely lucked into having an elite QB in Brady. If I remember the details right, they had just signed Bledsoe to a ten-year, record amount of money deal. They never intended to give Brady a chance at starting until Bledsoe got hurt. Bellyjerk is a genius alright.

Ironically as it is, both our teams have seen Bledsoe since. When he retired, he had made more money than anyone in the history of the NFL at the time.

The Eagles actually have picked up their pieces just fine. They won the NFCE the year after they got rid of Owens, and were 3 pts away from advancing to the NFCCG. And they did it with a backup QB, a scrub SS b/c their unhappy starter got benched, their #1 starting CB *and* nickel back missing several weeks b/c of injury, and their best pass rusher missing the entire year. And, of course, they made it to the NFCCG this last year..

The Eagles made it to the Super Bowl with T.O. They didn't make it without him. They've done alright, but not better. There are always a bunch of extenuating circumstances. Always. If there is one player to blame more than others, it's usually the QB because he is the most important player on the team, again.

As for Wade and horrible STs-you got me there. Defensive coaches usually put alot of emphasis on STs...but why Wade's unit has always played horribly, I dunno.

Maybe he hired his old pal again. LOL.

The Bills have had the best Special Teams in the league for at least the past few years now...maybe #2 one year. People don't put enough emphasis on this a lot of times, but it is important...it's all about field position, and they can score points as well.

And as far as Wade Phillips goes, we took a downgrade from him for years after he left. You could do worse.

Last edited:
Hey screw you! That was uncalled for. Take your bogus TO talk and get out of here.

Screw you, too.

You take that away from all I've said? I'm having a discussion here. Sorry to knock your God off his pedestal, but it was said in context. Belichick didn't recognize Brady's potential, did he?

I'm sorry. I'll revise my statement. Belichick is the most brilliant man in the history of mankind...or womankind if you are a female or want to get into a pissing contest.

Get off this thread if you don't want to talk. Or kick me off the board if you don't invite intelligent outside discussion. I'm not pulling any punches here...didn't even mention camera-gate.

Last edited:
Screw you, too.

You take that away from all I've said? I'm having a discussion here. Sorry to knock your God off his pedestal, but it was said in context. Belichick didn't recognize Brady's potential, did he?

I'm sorry. I'll revise my statement. Belicheck is the most brilliant man in the history of mankind...or womankind if you are a female or want to get into a pissing contest.

Get off this thread if you don't want to talk. Or kick me off the board if you don't invite intelligent outside discussion. I'm not pulling any punches here.

Given that you seem to have the facts about Brady wrong, perhaps you should a) revise your "intelligent outside discussion" claim, b) read up on subjects before you spew your comments on an opposing team's board, c.) avoid making idiotic attacks for no reason and/or d.) STHU.....

You do know there's this thing called a salary cap, and there are other roster spots that need to be filled and/or improved upun, right?

Screw you, too.

I'm sorry. I'll revise my statement. Belichick is the most brilliant man in the history of mankind...or womankind if you are a female or want to get into a pissing contest.

Get off this thread if you don't want to talk. Or kick me off the board if you don't invite intelligent outside discussion. I'm not pulling any punches here...didn't even mention camera-gate.

There was nothing intelligent about what I quoted.

Given that you seem to have the facts about Brady wrong, perhaps you should a) revise your "intelligent outside discussion" claim, b) read up on subjects before you spew your comments on an opposing team's board, c.) avoid making idiotic attacks for no reason and/or d.) STHU.....

I never made an idiotic attack, but was the victim of one. "Screw you and get out of here" isn't an attack? Half you guys would agree than Belichick is a jerk, which is what I suggested in half-jest.

I don't have the facts about Brady wrong, either. Was not Bledsoe signed for a record-breaking deal just before he was injured and Brady replaced him?

Are you trying to revise history here, or do you just generally hate everyone that doesn't kiss your ass at all times?

What's the general problem here? I type up my thought-out ideas by way of discussion, then I'm attacked with one or two sentence nonsense. Can you not respond to the things I say? Will your brain explode.

I never made an idiotic attack, but was the victim of one. "Screw you and get out of here" isn't an attack? Half you guys would agree than Belichick is a jerk, which is what I suggested in half-jest.

I don't have the facts about Brady wrong, either. Was not Bledsoe signed for a record-breaking deal just before he was injured and Brady replaced him?

Are you trying to revise history here, or do you just generally hate everyone that doesn't kiss your ass at all times?

What's the general problem here? I type up my thought-out ideas by way of discussion, then I'm attacked with one or two sentence nonsense. Can you not respond to the things I say? Will your brain explode.

You do have the Brady history wrong, and you should learn about it if you're going to comment on it. I'll leave it at that, because you are apparently incapable of introspection.

There was nothing intelligent about what I quoted.

So you just have no sense of humor then. I was making a valid point, and I'm sincerely sorry that Belichick is a jerk.

...didn't even mention camera-gate.

What's camera-gate?... oh spy-gate.. the far too overblown scandal due to the Patriots taping from the field as opposed to taping from the stands or the pressbox .....yawn. :sleeping:

Screw you, too.

Actually, yes, he did. Brady was specifically targeted by Belichick and staff. Almost taken a round earlier, but they correctly guessed he would still be available in the 6th. Given a roster spot even though it meant keeping an extra QB. No need to draft him earlier; Belichick correctly knew that Brady would still be available late in the draft.

Pot, meet kettle.

Actually you just did. Trust me, you don't want to go there. Folks here are armed with far more information and facts on the subject than you could ever imagine.

I'm glad Bills fans think that TO is going to get them into the playoffs or even the SB. First year TO joins the Eagles they went to the SB. Forgetting that the Eagles made it to the NFC Championship 3 years in a row prior to him joining. The Eagles went 4 straight years to the Championship. They were bound to win one of them, just happens to be the year with TO. Personally they probably would have went to the SB that year regardless of TO. Then he goes to Dallas in 2006 losing in the playoffs but with the same 9-7 record as the year before. They loose the first playoff game in 2007 and didn't even make the playoffs last year. Say what you want but both the Eagles and Cowboys are a far better team than the Bills. Just trying to put this into perspective. TO really hasn't catapulted their team into greatness. Its going to take more than TO to get the Bills into the playoffs especially when playing the Jests, Dollfins, and Pats twice a year.

You do have the Brady history wrong, and you should learn about it if you're going to comment on it. I'll leave it at that, because you are apparently incapable of introspection.

When you say that I'm incapable of introspection, do you mean that I'm incapable of looking within myself? I can't soul search?

Apparently, you need a dictionary, an encyclopedia, and God knows what else.

If I'm wrong about Brady, tell me the truth...or are you one of those Patriots fans that only started following them after they became successful? No way I'm wrong about this.

In the offseason, before the 2001 season, Drew Bledsoe was signed to a then record ten-year $103 million dollar contract. In the second game of that same season, he was injured by Mo Lewis. Brady stepped in, and the Patriots won the Super Bowl that year and never looked back.

this is all fact. My point was that Brady was never intended to start. Why would they sign a player to a record deal while having the intension of immediately replacing him. The plan was never to start Brady, and that's all I said. I was never a jerk about it unless you see calling your coach Bellyjerk as an unforgivable transgression. I've seen it said by many Patriots fans on this very board that they think Belichick is a jerk, but they don't care because he is a good coach.

Last edited:
Actually, yes, he did. Brady was specifically targeted by Belichick and staff. Almost taken a round earlier, but they correctly guessed he would still be available in the 6th. Given a roster spot even though it meant keeping an extra QB. No need to draft him earlier; Belichick correctly knew that Brady would still be available late in the draft.

Dude, if ANYBODY knew what Brady was, they would have drafted him first overall. There would be no discussion about 5th or 6th round.

Pot, meet kettle.

I was attacked. I relaliated. Pissing contest has begun.

Actually you just did. Trust me, you don't want to go there. Folks here are armed with far more information and facts on the subject than you could ever imagine.

I don't even want to get into this with you, and it's not because of I'm afraid of what you have to say. You folks are a little too sensitive around here.

I'll gladly talk about T.O, though, which is what I was trying to do and what this thread is supposedly about.

Its going to take more than TO to get the Bills into the playoffs especially when playing the Jests, Dollfins, and Pats twice a year.

Mabye so, but one player never does it alone. Football is the ultimate team sport IMO. T.O. makes the Bills a better team for having him, which is the ONLY point in my book.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case