PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Surpises Before The Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why trade him this year when we can fanchise and trade him next year? It seems waiting year is like having your cake and getting to eat it too.

Exactly.

True, the Pats have won a lot of games without Seymour in prior years. Still, I don't see the DL depth to plan a season without him.

The whole trade Seymour thing does not sound viable, there are many on this board who underrate him and how important he is to this defense.. when healthy he is one of the top 5 in his position. Some are enamored by statistics, but for this D the stats of the D Line are minimized by team play.. if you get rid of #93, the production of Wilfork goes down as does Ty Warren..

He often shoulders the blame for lack of pass rush, in reality we often do not know his assignment but we do know he often demands the attention of 2 blockers.. if we you substitute Le Kevin or another DE, then there will be two blockers on Vince..

Do not see us trading him, and do not see us ever trading for a top 5 pick.. except for the second coming of Lawrence Taylor.. but then again thought Vrabel would retire as a Patriot..

Why trade him this year when we can fanchise and trade him next year? It seems waiting year is like having your cake and getting to eat it too.

I expect they'll have Wilforks deal done way before this, and most likely Mankins too.

I agree. Let Seymour go balls to the wall in a "contract" year, then Franchise him if they can't come to terms on a new deal. Whats the worst that could happen...we settle for the Chiefs 2nd round pick again? :D

Last edited:
We don't have the cap money to extend Wilfork and Mankins. One MAY be doable, but either one would cost cap money.

Extensions that might add cap money are Faulk, Light and Green.

I expect they'll have Wilforks deal done way before this, and most likely Mankins too.

I agree. Let Seymour go balls to the wall in a "contract" year, then Franchise him if they can't come to terms on a new deal. Whats the worst that could happen...we settle for the Chiefs 2nd round pick again? :D

I mentioned on another thread that I don't believe Mankins deal ever gets done. Dockery, Dielman, Leonard Davis and Steinbach all got deals for $7 million per. Faneca got $8 million per with $23 million in guarantees. I just can't see BB going $7million to $8 million per year for a guard.

Another thing to look at is the 53 man roster. How many draft picks will survive? Better to trade around or stock picks in next years draft, than to draft just because you can and have to cut them before the season. Remember Garrett Mills? If BB can trade Sey and/or Hobbs for another player and/or picks next year, he will pull the trigger. May not be a 1st rounder but maybe a 2 and 4?

Another thing to look at is the 53 man roster. How many draft picks will survive? Better to trade around or stock picks in next years draft, than to draft just because you can and have to cut them before the season. Remember Garrett Mills? If BB can trade Sey and/or Hobbs for another player and/or picks next year, he will pull the trigger. May not be a 1st rounder but maybe a 2 and 4?

While I agree with your assessment that it is getting harder and harder to make the roster, I am not sure where Garrett Mills comes in to play.(?)

He was a hybrid FB/TE/ST who Belichick was quite high on--and planned on keeping on our practice squad when he went through waivers. Brad Childress pretty much ticked Bill off by nabbing him up, and has not used him correctly or to his potential yet.

But I can certainly see your point about making the 53 man roster. All I can hope is that it will promote higher competition, trickling down to the practice squad. It will probably lead to some unexpected cuts, maybe even more than usual--but the bottom line is that our team will certainly improve in many areas. (we all know that we'll end up trading a couple for next year too i'm sure)

However I'm not sure about trading Hobbs or Big Sey--that idea could be product of some of that KY blue grass down there

Last edited:
We want to win the SB this year. Trading Seymour in a contract year is not a good idea.

IMO, the move can't be justified based on the low 1st/high 2nd we might be able to net for him in a trade compared to the 3rd we will undoubtedly get for him as a comp pick (worst case scenario) or the pick that we could get for him if we franchise him next year and trade him.

In the two latter scenarios, we get one more solid year out of him which helps us make a push for a SB win this year. That is more important to me than the difference between (at worst) a 3rd round pick next year compared to a low 1st round pick this year.

I don't see this happening and I'm not sure it would help the team even if it did happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back