PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Superbowl Mic'd Up - Goff Comes Across as REALLY Passive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brit patriot

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
I watched it last night and loved every second.

One thing I noticed was that from the word go you struggled to get a word out of Jared Goff. Whether that was nerves on the day or his natural personality (I worry it was the latter after watching him in Hard Knocks) it really is a bad sign.

Brady was having a hard day yet was still a leader. Mahomes for Kansas still gave off the idea he could take the game away from us in the AFCCG. Goff looked like a guy who was plucked from the crowd and thought he shouldn't be there.

In 12 months they will work out if they take his fifth year contract. His lack of ability to lead will surely come into play in that decision making process.

I’m not sure he’s ever going to « make it » in terms of a perennial winner.

I also want to pump the breaks on Mahomes. Let’s see what he’s got for an encore. If he’s great, he’ll produce in 2019&2020... too often we crown too early.

I’m not sure he’s ever going to « make it » in terms of a perennial winner.

I also want to pump the breaks on Mahomes. Let’s see what he’s got for an encore. If he’s great, he’ll produce in 2019&2020... too often we crown too early.

Totally agree mate....DC's have a year of tape on him now. I just meant body language and personality at the LOS and on the sideline.

McVay was telling him he was doing a great job with 4 min left in the game. Game was over before it began.
If you recall during one of BBs pressers during SB week, the question posed to him was about his style of coaching or something like that. Bill basically said he believes in brutal honesty with the player. If he thinks you are doing well, he'll tell you. If not, he'll tell you that too. If you need to improve, that as well. Bill said he wouldn't be doing his job as a coach is he was telling a player they are good enough when they aren't.

I'm not sure what McVay's motivation was with Goff. Its plain as day he was sucking eggs. I think McVay is a bit of a ra-ra, tire-pumper but I do think hes a good coach and gets a lot of his players. It's possible he recognized Goff was having confidence issues during the game and needed to give him some love and affection.

McVay was a cheerleader... surprising contrast with BB, who motivated players but also hammered home X's and O's.
I think the style that works for BB with his lengthy resume doesn’t work for younger coaches who are just starting out. McDaniels tried that approach and fell flat on his face.

McVay is a good coach. But he's young. I am sure that he is taking away a ton of lessons from the game on Sunday. You can't really understand the Super Bowl until you play in it or coach in it the first time. And if you are really young, it is magnified that much more.

Look at the difference between McVay and how the Eagles coach Peterson handled it. Night and day. Peterson has a lot more experience and not just in coaching but in life as well.
McVay is still a kid and it showed on Sunday.

I watched it last night and loved every second.

One thing I noticed was that from the word go you struggled to get a word out of Jared Goff. Whether that was nerves on the day or his natural personality (I worry it was the latter after watching him in Hard Knocks) it really is a bad sign.

Brady was having a hard day yet was still a leader. Mahomes for Kansas still gave off the idea he could take the game away from us in the AFCCG. Goff looked like a guy who was plucked from the crowd and thought he shouldn't be there.

In 12 months they will work out if they take his fifth year contract. His lack of ability to lead will surely come into play in that decision making process.

Honestly, go back and watch the 2016 game when the Rams came to Foxboro. The defense honestly played just as well, if not better in that game. And the plan was similar, pressure Goff and watch him suck. That team was on the Gurley train and when he came up limp, they fell apart. They were lucky to win in NO and I could see them having a tough 2020.

The difference between Goff and Mahomes is evident. Goff is really unsure of himself and tends to remember things. Mahomes appears ****y as hell and has zero memory. I am fully on the Mahomes bandwagon. If Goff was on the Chiefs in the AFCGC, that game would have ended 35-0.

I guess I'm one of the few that didn't think Goff was that bad, it was more the Pats D being great and having a game plan that McVay didn't expect. The whole conversation is different if Cooks comes down with that TD pass late in the 4th quarter, which Goff laid in there perfectly and should have been caught. Then it's 10-10, Gilmore's int never happens, and Goff is portrayed as a great battler.

I also think in a few years it's Goff not Mahomes that will be considered the best QB in the league.

McVay is a good coach. But he's young. I am sure that he is taking away a ton of lessons from the game on Sunday. You can't really understand the Super Bowl until you play in it or coach in it the first time. And if you are really young, it is magnified that much more.

Look at the difference between McVay and how the Eagles coach Peterson handled it. Night and day. Peterson has a lot more experience and not just in coaching but in life as well.

My Mrs said to me at the start that McVay came across as excited to meet Bill as I would be. That isn't a knock as the respect was real, but he just came across as a man who thought 'wow, I am at the SB and there is Bill, this is cool'. Pederson was all business.

This will be a good learning experience for him, so I suspect if in a decade he was in the same position, he would be more chilled.

I'm thinking that right now, McV is a damned good OC, but not so much as HC of the LARs. Too much pumping of the tires. If they leave him alone, he'll grow. I doubt they will have patience with him if he has a couple 7-9 seasons.

Honestly, go back and watch the 2016 game when the Rams came to Foxboro. The defense honestly played just as well, if not better in that game. And the plan was similar, pressure Goff and watch him suck. That team was on the Gurley train and when he came up limp, they fell apart. They were lucky to win in NO and I could see them having a tough 2020.

The difference between Goff and Mahomes is evident. Goff is really unsure of himself and tends to remember things. Mahomes appears ****y as hell and has zero memory. I am fully on the Mahomes bandwagon. If Goff was on the Chiefs in the AFCGC, that game would have ended 35-0.

Tough to compare those Rams with the team we just beat. Those Rams had Fisher coaching, no receivers and their OL was trash. This team has way more talent.

What caught my attention on Mic'd Up was how much trash talk Aaron Donald did while being terrible at trash talk. How was a dude who is basically a football killbot built in a laboratory so completely unthreatening every time he opened his mouth?

Everybody just looked at him like LOL OK BRO.

I am happy we played Goff and not a QB who isn’t afraid of the big stage like Foles. With the way our offense played for most of the game, a different QB could have meant trouble

What caught my attention on Mic'd Up was how much trash talk Aaron Donald did while being terrible at trash talk. How was a dude who is basically a football killbot built in a laboratory so completely unthreatening every time he opened his mouth?

Everybody just looked at him like LOL OK BRO.
I haven't gotten a chance to watch it yet but have it set to DVR tomorrow, looking forward to this now

He’s 33 and that is incredibly young. Pederson wasn’t afraid of the BB mystique. McVay was in awe from the start. He’ll learn.

I haven't gotten a chance to watch it yet but have it set to DVR tomorrow, looking forward to this now

It alternates between showing Donald talking, and cutting back to Donald getting buried by 2 blockers, over and over again, for what feels like half an hour haha.

It also shows Donald spending a ridiculous amount of time trying to psyche himself up by saying stuff like "let's go" to himself over and over. I know he's a great player in general but he comes off as just incredibly lame in that show.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes