QB12

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
2006 Game Plan

-Control if not dominate time of possession through punishing running game;
-Finish drives with TD's;
-Force opposing offenses to abandon run earlier than they had game-planned
-Unleash opportunistic, blitzing defense and raise potential for turnovers

Result: Win, although not necessarily by large margins.

Predicted record: 16-0 (I mean it).

QB12 said:
2006 Game Plan

-Control if not dominate time of possession through punishing running game;
-Finish drives with TD's;
-Force opposing offenses to abandon run earlier than they had game-planned
-Unleash opportunistic, blitzing defense and raise potential for turnovers

Result: Win, although not necessarily by large margins.

Predicted record: 16-0 (I mean it).

eh...

hrm.

That's not so much a plan as a wish ... a wish that every team probably enters every game with.

This year, however, the Patriots - who never have had an authentic A-1 offense -
appear to have players who can carry it off.

If we regularly accomplish the first three points, i'm not at all sure that BB would abandon his disciplined defense
for the thrill of #4.
If we manage to build 21-point leads (!) ...
i'd expect BB to simply dare them to grind out a slow comeback.

Here's a good list of things to work on:

- Create Turnovers on defense and Special Teams
- Create a better field position with ST's players
- Sure tackling on special teams
- Mental errors need to be down
- Secure the ball, all positions
- Stay healthy
- Create a solid and cohessive offensive line so they can learn to perfectly work well together
- Create a dominate running game
- A dominate running game will allow to to control pace and tempo of the game
- Time of Possession needs to be a factor in every game

Theres just a few for thought.

flutie2phelan said:
That's not so much a plan as a wish ... a wish that every team probably enters every game with.

This year, however, the Patriots - who never have had an authentic A-1 offense -
appear to have players who can carry it off.

If we regularly accomplish the first three points, i'm not at all sure that BB would abandon his disciplined defense
for the thrill of #4.
If we manage to build 21-point leads (!) ...
i'd expect BB to simply dare them to grind out a slow comeback.

Lost in Leinart's success in scrambling up the middle was the fact that Pees was bringing at least 2 blitzers on every passing down.

QB12

The Cardinals are where the Patriots were after a few games in 2005. They could not run the football but had a QB and WRs. And a fair but not airtight
Defense.

Teams ignored the rushing threat, and just teed off on the passing game. So did Pees.

AzPatsFan said:
The Cardinals are where the Patriots were after a few games in 2005. They could not run the football but had a QB and WRs. And a fair but not airtight
Defense.

Teams ignored the rushing threat, and just teed off on the passing game. So did Pees.

Good point and apt analogy.

QB12

NEM said:
Attack early, throw many passes early, especially on first downs, use the no huddle offense (Pittsburgh is using it this year, too), score early, and often, put the other team at a disadvantage and then control the game with the devastating running attack.

First and foremost, score through the air early, forcing the opposition defenses to back off, to allow the running lanes, and the interior to be open, and then hit them with the mixture of run/pass, etc...

But, dont fall behind early ..... and be forced to pass into a defense knowing yu have to pass....

Thats why we need to use Brady, the tight ends, the running backs on flat, and screen passes, and the inside of the passing zones, right inthe seams....

Come out conservative, and try to run first, one mistake and we will be in the hole.

Ihate to say this, but we can play a Manning/Colts type of offense, and the big difference is that we have the defense to go with it, they did not.

You've been saying the same things for the past three years that I've been on this board, but everytime you say it, you present it like it's the first time anyone's ever thought of it. Sure, every team should play just like the Colts! Execution? Don't worry about that? Lack of WRs? Who cares?? lol You're hilarious.

:rofl:

Try to run first. If you can't, soften the D with short passes. Once you can run, start using play action.

I don't like the pass-happy offense. I saw too many 3-and-outs with Bledsoe using this strategy. I'd rather try to grind the clock as much as possible.

Strategy for '06. Good solid football fundamentals for the hole team. thats how you win games.:cool: :woohoo:

I agree with the "Time of Possessioners" - - this is the O to pull that off and this will make it much easier on our D.

NEM's strategy?........well, some things are better left unsaid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Offensive Strategy for 2006 - Create and exploit favorable matchups. Put your offense in favorable down and distance situations. Secure the ball. Finish Drives.

Defensive Strategy for 2006 - Take away the running game of the opponent. Make them one dimensional. Create turnovers. Scheme for exotic looks.

Strategy for '06 - Score more points than the other team. lol

Ochmed Jones said:
Offensive Strategy for 2006 - Create and exploit favorable matchups. Put your offense in favorable down and distance situations. Secure the ball. Finish Drives.

Defensive Strategy for 2006 - Take away the running game of the opponent. Make them one dimensional. Create turnovers. Scheme for exotic looks.

This one says it best.

I haven't had time to read the whole thread yet... did anybody mention the no huddle and quick slants yet? This is the year.

Offense - somebody said New England creates receivers like Shanahan creates running backs. They're right. Five guys grabbing 300-700 yards' worth, plus six or seven other guys who catch passes in a season, equals Tom's 3500-4000 yards, and 24-28 TDs, year in year out. I don't doubt the passing game can earn the Pats enough respect to open up the run (i.e., prevent the eight-guys-in-the-box gambit.) Dare TB to beat you through the air, and he'll still do it. Most teams will choose to address the balanced attack by playing a balanced D, and we've got the running game to wear down a balanced D to a bloody nub. I'm a time-of-possession, grind it out on the ground partisan, but the STRATEGY is to dictate that they pick their poison. When they show their hand, be ready to beat them with some other aspect of what will be a versatile, balanced, and innovative attack (i.e., do you cover run or pass for four tight ends who can all catch, and any number of running backs with different styles [1-2 in the backfield at any given time]?) A lot of toys for BB to play with here.

Defense - LB is still thin. Secondary quality is still middling. D Line is still the best in the league. If we get lucky, front 7 can be THE best in the league, bar none; if not, they will be good but not great. If we get hit with a couple injuries to the wrong guys, the LB unit could end up in the hands of the Roaches and Alexanders of the world... please, God, not yet.

The D will be much better than in 05 however:
1) Bruschi, Harrison, defensive backfield back (at least temporarily)
2) MUCH MORE REST every game. Defenses with healthy rushing games suddenly become superior units, even with the same personnel that stink up a joint WITHOUT a healthy rushing game. This will be a night-and-day difference.
3) A lot of guys got thrown into the fire last year, and they're now fire-hardened. There are some mistakes they had to make, which they have made and learned from.

I see this as a top 5 unit with luck, a top 15 unit without it. I don't see our D piddling around in the bottom half of the league like last year, but we can't be TOO homer about it... we love a strong D, but I think this one has a ceiling -- still a work in progress.

PFnV

flutie2phelan said:
This year, however, the Patriots - who never have had an authentic A-1 offense - appear to have players who can carry it off.

I may be nitpicking, and I certainly acknowledge that this offense has the most potential of any in the BB era, but -

The offense in 2004 was a top 4 offense. That, to me, is an authentic A-1 offense.

PatsFanInVa said:
Offense - somebody said New England creates receivers like Shanahan creates running backs. They're right. Five guys grabbing 300-700 yards' worth, plus six or seven other guys who catch passes in a season, equals Tom's 3500-4000 yards, and 24-28 TDs, year in year out. I don't doubt the passing game can earn the Pats enough respect to open up the run (i.e., prevent the eight-guys-in-the-box gambit.) Dare TB to beat you through the air, and he'll still do it. Most teams will choose to address the balanced attack by playing a balanced D, and we've got the running game to wear down a balanced D to a bloody nub. I'm a time-of-possession, grind it out on the ground partisan, but the STRATEGY is to dictate that they pick their poison. When they show their hand, be ready to beat them with some other aspect of what will be a versatile, balanced, and innovative attack (i.e., do you cover run or pass for four tight ends who can all catch, and any number of running backs with different styles [1-2 in the backfield at any given time]?) A lot of toys for BB to play with here.

Defense - LB is still thin. Secondary quality is still middling. D Line is still the best in the league. If we get lucky, front 7 can be THE best in the league, bar none; if not, they will be good but not great. If we get hit with a couple injuries to the wrong guys, the LB unit could end up in the hands of the Roaches and Alexanders of the world... please, God, not yet.

The D will be much better than in 05 however:
1) Bruschi, Harrison, defensive backfield back (at least temporarily)
2) MUCH MORE REST every game. Defenses with healthy rushing games suddenly become superior units, even with the same personnel that stink up a joint WITHOUT a healthy rushing game. This will be a night-and-day difference.
3) A lot of guys got thrown into the fire last year, and they're now fire-hardened. There are some mistakes they had to make, which they have made and learned from.

I see this as a top 5 unit with luck, a top 15 unit without it. I don't see our D piddling around in the bottom half of the league like last year, but we can't be TOO homer about it... we love a strong D, but I think this one has a ceiling -- still a work in progress.

PFnV

One of the best posts of the Modern Era here! Especially the parts about "pick their poison" and the "MUCH MORE REST." I've never thought before about how if your running game is good and you run a lot of clock, the rest of your team --- defense AND offense --- play fewer plays, which gives them fewer opportunities to get injured!

Ochmed Jones said:

Nice and concise, though it could use a Special Teams field position line. :cool:

I see one of the operational (vice strategic) goals on offense to be development of a close rapport between Tommy and his wide receiver crew.

On defense I see the key operational issues to be two-fold:
1. Develop Gardner at MLB in the 4-3 look (appeared to have good reads in the preseason games and is speedier then Bruschi and Seau).
2. Develop Pierre Woods and Monty Beisel at OLB and ILB respectively. At the moment, these should be the second tier reserves we'll be calling on if one of the starters goes down putting TBC in the line-up. Which we may see right away while Bruschi is healing.

For those having difficulty visualizing the LB situation:

Our openers look to be Vrabel and Seau inside, Colvin and TBC outside. That means we have no experienced third OLB behind Rosey and TBC, which is were Woods comes in. To my mind, he has done the best job between him and Roach. His major weakness are his reads and awareness in the passing game. Inside, Gardner is the next level behind Seau and Vrabes, which could allow Vrabes to slide back outside in case of injury. The problem with Gardner is his strength training on the Jets was not designed to optimize him for taking on OL in a 3-4, he'll need to develop that in the off-season with Woicik and Nash. Beisel didn't look too bad taking on OL in the Atlanta game; where he needs to improve are his reads. It looks like there has been improvement, but one partial year with some MLB time in Kansas City and one partial year as an ILB in New England aren't going to be enough to develop him to Bruschi standards.

The LB situation improves when Brown and Bruschi finish healing, but for now, the kids are the key back-ups.

Box_O_Rocks said:
Beisel didn't look too bad taking on OL in the Atlanta game; where he needs to improve are his reads.

How's his tackling look to ya, cheerleader?

PFnV

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft